[nightwatcher13] NightWatcher's first challenge

Hey all! 

Just found this site this past week, and I have to say it's the most motivating site I've ever seen for me!

So down to the questing:

Main Quest: Lose enough fat to fit into a size 10-12 by Aug 1 (currently a size 16-18)

- Exercise a minimum of 5x/week

- Get to bed by 9:30-10pm minimum 6x/week

- Cut grains and soda to weekends only

Life Quest: Study Japanese 5x/week

I know I'm hopping in slightly in the middle of a challenge run, but gotta start somewhere, right?

• Like 5

Current Challenge: NW13 - System Failure, Please Reboot

Last Challenge: NW13 Dials It In

Past Challenges: 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

No problem.  Starting late is better than waiting and forgetting to start!!

What kinds of exercise will you do?

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Starting out, I'm mostly planning on biking and using body weigh & resistance exercises. I did get a pull-up bar so I can work up to being able to do those, so far I can only do negatives but hopefully carefully working on them and losing weight will help me be able to do actual pull-ups again eventually.

I'd like to start training in martial arts again, but I don't know how much I remember and can't afford to start going to a dojo just yet... so may be a bit before I can actually get back to doing that ^^;

• Like 1

I jumped in late too - better late then never - plus I'm so impatient I couldn't wait for the next challenge!

Nice goals - especially like the going to bed one! I read the other day that after 10pm our cortisol (stress hormone) spikes if we aren't sleeping so it is really good to try and get to bed early. That said I'm often still wandering round at 12am, putting off going to be (which is weird for someone who loves sleep). ANY WAY GOOD LUCK! 

• Like 2

Avariel Adventurer
Level 1 | STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 1 

First Challenge

Oh, I hear you on the expense of dojos ... I'm hoping to get back into martial arts again too, but it will have to wait.

Since you're doing bodyweight training, you could certainly fit in as an assassin!!

Here is a link to more information about the Assassin guild:  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/48929-guild-information-and-announcements-subscribe/

And the Assassin phonebook with a list of various exercises/skills that guild members are working on for this challenge, as well as links to their challenge topics: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/48933-the-assassin-phonebook-and-library/

The assassins are a friendly and supportive guild.  Stop by the Assassin's Den – a general chat thread in the guild forum – and introduce yourself.  You can always ask questions there as well as here!!  Someone from our guild will stop by each week to see how you're doing!

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

Welcome to the challenge NightWatcher. I saw in your profile you're a knitter, me too! --one of my goals this challenge is to knit everyday, even if it's just a line or two-- Glad you decided to join us and best of luck to you on your quest! 

• Like 1

imadork
Race: Gypsy | Class: Assassin

Current challenge

photos:

#100HappyDays 

ThingsICreate

HangBendBalance 

Sometimes mistakes are the best progress we can make.

Thanks everyone! So far the sleep part of my goals has proved to be the most challenging :/ I'm great at sleeping in, but I totally suck at realizing "oh, look at the time - I need to go to bed" lol. I'll definitely be flipping through the Assassin phone book & topics (tomorrow, when I'm not supposed to have been in bed 2 hours earlier... I blame the birthday today).

Myrlien, thanks & good luck on languages! Got any in particular you aim to learn?

Imadork, that's an awesome goal - especially since I know when I get busy, my yarn is one of the first things that gets shoved to the backburner.

And holy smokes, so far loving NF - not only the most motivating fitness community I think I've ever looked at, but possibly the most supportive! 

• Like 1

Random quick update - doing better this week so far with the sleep challenge, and so far as the size-loss goal - a pair of shorts I bought for work about 3 weeks ago now that I couldn't zip at the time (36" waist") didn't even fight me when I put them on!!! 

• Like 4

YEA!!!!

6529214.jpg

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

That's great! I'm too sucker to buy smaller clothes because I feel like I'll never get there. It would be really awesome to get tangible proof of dropping a size though! :) How are the exercise goals going?

Myrlien, thanks & good luck on languages! Got any in particular you aim to learn?

I'd love to learn Spanish, it's so raw and beautiful. First choice was Latin but it's not like I'd have someone to speak with or many books to read.

Is English your first language? Japanese seems like such a huge jump from English, both in the sounds and the characters. No idea about the rules though.

• Like 1

Level 2 | Human | Assassin

Seeking to tap into my elf blood. 

[ STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 4 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 1 ]

Current challenge

That's great! I'm too sucker to buy smaller clothes because I feel like I'll never get there. It would be really awesome to get tangible proof of dropping a size though! :) How are the exercise goals going?

I'd love to learn Spanish, it's so raw and beautiful. First choice was Latin but it's not like I'd have someone to speak with or many books to read.

Is English your first language? Japanese seems like such a huge jump from English, both in the sounds and the characters. No idea about the rules though.

Well, I needed shorts for work this summer (summer crew in a high school with no air conditioning - that whole building is a sauna!), so I bought a pair that almost fit, but not quite, then made myself stick to my diet and bike riding etc. I was super excited when they fit though!! Now I need to shrink back into the rest of my  wardrobe that I've been hanging on to...

The exercise goals are coming, today was a little lax due to a concert I tried to go to after work (and got lost thanks to GoogleMaps, which I will never use again) so I'll try to make up a workout tomorrow. Did get to ride my bike 4 days this week, so I am on track with my number of sessions, but haven't gotten much full-body workout time in this week. Dietary goals have been almost spot on though :D

Spanish is beautiful!!! Took 3 years of it in HS, and got to practice a lot with my dad 'cause he lived in Spain for 3 years a long time ago. Yup, English is my first language, but its structure actually didn't make any sense to me until I took Spanish and I could see the differences in the structures and how they lined up, if that makes any sense.

With my background in Japanese culture (we've had a love affair since I was probably 8, and the fire got fed with an oragami book and karate classes) it's been a language I've wanted to learn for a while, and actually got to take a semester of it in college - just lacked the time to give it a minor with all the other classes I had to take in my majors. As for the rules of Japanese... the only word I have for it is structured. Very precise in some areas, and purposefully vague in others, and can be very ritualistic when learning the polite version that they teach you first in class so you don't say something completely stupidly rude :)

Update on goals for this week - 
Exercise 5x/wk - Done!!! (that's awesome to be able to check on my list!)

Bed by 10 - Closer, not there yet (had a couple of 10:30's this week) but closer than last week

Cut grains&soda to weekend - no soda since last Saturday :) Did have a 12 inch Subway flatbread I split into 2 meals and my roommate made some hamburger helper the other night, but definitely a lot less grains than I've eaten typically, so goal no quite met, but definitely closer than the week before.

Japanese - 3x this week, goal not met.

Next week I'll aim harder for all of the above goals, I'm just glad for the progress starting out right now

• Like 2

Congrats on starting your first challenge! Karate and Japanese? You sound like me. :D

Sweet! I need to find some people around here to talk to in Japanese, that's half of my learning battle I think.

It's so awesome to find other people on here that share some of my goals :)

**edit** I'll try to remember today while I'm over at the cookout/campout to use my friend's scale so I actually have a number on weight; probably won't be super steller but it'll be nice to know where I'm at on my goal

Hey nightwatcher!  Dropping by to check up on how your challenge is going.  Sorry I don't know Japanese to help you on that front, BUT I might get a chance to start learning it in a couple of months!  Maybe.  I also might have the opportunity to study Chinese, Spanish, and French, so I'll have to pick my battles with that one and figure out which would be the most fun for me. :D

Any new updates on your progress toward your goals? 

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Hey! :)

Progress is going slower than I'd like (story of my life, I'm horrible at patience) but right now I'm focusing on doing something every day, so that's a huge step in the right direction!!

Got to 7(!!!!!) reverse pull-ups yesterday, which surprised the crap outa me - last week I could only do 3-4 before Gravity won! so either I was wussing or my body's figuring out stuff, but either way it made me really happy.

Oh, that's hard - picking one language out of sooo many :) If you do Spanish I can speak that one too, albeit a bit rustily, and I'll gladly post en espaniol asi podemos ver como se va (in spanish so we can see how it's going). Though any of those would be amazingly awesome, I think speaking more languages is an amazing thing for anyone.

As far as other challenge progress goes, still fighting to get my body to go to bed&sleep early enough but slowly winning the battle, and probably doing about 80% paleo right now and keeping track on SparkPeople and been within my range other than this past weekend, so I'd say winning at the moment!!

Winning.png

• Like 3

I'm a little late to your party, but your goals look great, and it seems you are making some serious progress already. Don't sell yourself short on your achievements there, the important part is you are making progress. No matter how slow, as long as you keep moving forward you are better than you were yesterday, and thats awesome!

Also, about your avatar, the bunny on the Yoga mat is cool, in case you didnt already know ;)

• Like 1

Level: 3 - Wood Elf - Wanderer

STR: 0 | DEX: 5 | STA: 11 | CON: 5 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 2

Challenges: 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | Current

"Quit...don't quit...noodles...don't noodles. You are too concerned with what was, and what will be"

- Master Oogway

I'm a little late to your party, but your goals look great, and it seems you are making some serious progress already. Don't sell yourself short on your achievements there, the important part is you are making progress. No matter how slow, as long as you keep moving forward you are better than you were yesterday, and thats awesome!

Also, about your avatar, the bunny on the Yoga mat is cool, in case you didnt already know ;)

Thanks :) That's what I keep trying to tell myself, I just need to add a tablespoon of patience to my smoothies...

I'll make sure not to tell my cat you thought he was a rabbit :P This made my day (he acts like a dog anyways... it's all very complicated) 

• Like 1

Progress update - found out I can do a wallwalk today, and had my body almost completely vertical - arms got a bit shaky, but that was amazing to feel. Managed to do 20 min of p90x's yoga dvd today for my DEX stat, reminds me how much flexibility I have to win back, but it's encouraging to think that if I stick with it I'll get it back soon. 

Started doing written Japanese this week along with the spoken - it's official, whatever language I speak, I'll still be an excellent doctor... 

• Like 3

Japanese is such a tough language, not one but 2 whole new alphabets! Much impressed. I am trying to learn Spanish at the moment. I use Busuu.com - which I really like as native Spanish (or whichever language you choose) speakers correct both your written and verbal work. And I need that kind of feedback to improve! 

• Like 2

Avariel Adventurer
Level 1 | STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 1 

First Challenge

Hi there!

Sorry for the late introduction; I've been trying to be more social on here, but I'm a little slow at it.

Looks like your challenge is going well, good for you!

I tried teaching myself Japanese about 2 years ago and sorta fell out of practice with it but I'll tell you what was working for me. I had the game My Japanese Coach for the Nintendo DS (please don't laugh at me!) and it was surprisingly effective. I was also using a couple of different books and managed to learn both katakana and hiragana (not that I remember 1/4th of it now) by making little flashcards and quizzing myself. I'd look at a flashcard and say what I thought it was and if I was right I'd put it in a pile (the "learned" pile) and if I was wrong I put it in a separate pile (the "to learn" pile). When I finished the deck, I'd take the "to learn" pile and go through it the same way and continue until I'd moved every card into the "learned" pile. As a finisher, I'd go through the "learned" pile to make sure I still remembered what they were.

Best wishes on your challenge!

Thanks :) That's what I keep trying to tell myself, I just need to add a tablespoon of patience to my smoothies...

I'll make sure not to tell my cat you thought he was a rabbit :tongue: This made my day (he acts like a dog anyways... it's all very complicated) 

Lol, I'm going to blame the fact that I was reading your thread on my tablet so the avatar was small, plus his tail really looks like a rabbit ear if you sort of squint :P Ok I am convincing nobody, I can now see its a cat *hangs head in shame*

While I am here, congrats on the wall walk, sounds impressive and pretty intense!

Level: 3 - Wood Elf - Wanderer

STR: 0 | DEX: 5 | STA: 11 | CON: 5 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 2

Challenges: 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | Current

"Quit...don't quit...noodles...don't noodles. You are too concerned with what was, and what will be"

- Master Oogway

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines