Bregalad5 Takes on Triathlon Training

bregalad5

Hello everyone! I’m so sorry this is so late. I have internet problems here at my parents’ where I’m staying for the summer, and for some reason the site would let me respond to threads but not post my own. Edit: Yessssss! It worked!

This is only my second challenge, so I’m still refining what I’m doing and how I’m doing it, but my focus is going to be pretty narrow for this one. I have a 5k coming up on June 21, and a triathlon (300m swim, 19km bike 5km run) on August 16.

Triathlon Goals:

Goal #1 – Run 3 times a week, gradually increasing distance (walk breaks perfectly acceptable)

Goal #2 – Bike 4 times a week, also gradually increasing distance

Goal #3 – Swim 3 times a week*

Goal #4 – Strength train (at home due to no access to gym here) 3 times a week

Health Goal:

Goal #5 – Get 9-10 hours of sleep every night (I need extra sleep due to a sleep disorder) + drink 2-3L of water daily

Life Goal:

Goal #6 – Once my new course starts on June 26, get a head start on my coursework instead of procrastinating like I usually do

*I still need to call about accessing the community pool – I’ve been more worried about jetlag recovery over the past week and a half than getting up really early to swim

Rachel's Epic Deed List, aka my Bucket List   Bregalad? Sounds familiar...

Quest #1 Quest #2 Quest #3
"The sight of the huge world put mad ideas into me; as if I could wander away, wander forever, see strange and beautiful things, one after the other to the world's end." ~ CS Lewis

"Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going." ~Samwise Gamgee

Looks like a good plan. What kind of distance are you at now? Oo, and what kind of strength training are you doing? I always like knowing how other people workout. :)

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Looks like a good plan. What kind of distance are you at now? Oo, and what kind of strength training are you doing? I always like knowing how other people workout. :)

I'm at really short distances now because I was sick for a long time, so it's going to take some work. As for strength training, I haven't ever done at-home training, so it'll all be new for me. I plan on trying out the NFA stuff.

My 5k today was rough, but I made it to the end, and that's what matters. I ended up in the heat that left after my brother, sister, and sister-in-law (we got separated and they wouldn't let me past the rope for some reason), but caught up with them about 4/5 of the way because the girls had to stop to use the bathroom, hahaha. I realized a little ways in that I forgot to turn on my RunKeeper so not sure exactly what my time was, but I think it was around 45 minutes. Because it was a 'fun run' they don't do times or anything of that nature, and most people actually walk it.

It was outside an amusement park, and we got 'free' tickets included in our race packet, so we spent a  couple hours there afterward. My sister-in-law had to take off to a wedding so I decided we should give away her ticket instead of selling it (she said 'do whatever you want with it') Anyway, I gave it to a group of three college-age-looking folks, who were so shocked :) Hehe that stuff always feels so good. Saved them $45.99! :)

Here are some pics:

Pre-race: my sister, me, my brother, my sister-in-law (really my sister's sister-in-law, whatever they're called... she's my only one and I don't know these things)

10339489_761550430674_72224790455382722_

Post-race:

1907779_761551174184_8618933875142288176

Post-race selfie:

1623698_761555615284_294764298516996685_

Post-race selfie with my brother:

10355452_761551139254_184184578188995136

My new shoes (Nike Free Run 5 Lightweight) are now colorful ;) (I planned it that way and this picture really doesn't show it well)

10447061_761551413704_697360210377084831

• Like 1

"The sight of the huge world put mad ideas into me; as if I could wander away, wander forever, see strange and beautiful things, one after the other to the world's end." ~ CS Lewis

"Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going." ~Samwise Gamgee

Good work on your 5K!

Pre-race: my sister, me, my brother, my sister-in-law (really my sister's sister-in-law, whatever they're called... she's my only one and I don't know these things)

I always call my brother's in-laws my in-laws in-law. I suspect that's not right, but it amuses me.

Nice post-race pics!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

thanks, guys :)

I'm having a bit of a scare. After the race on Saturday my left knee felt a little more odd than it usually does after a run*. It's feeling a bit worse today, in that when I walk it feels numb. I'm going to go for a bike ride between World Cup matches to see if that loosens things up. If not, I may have to see if my mom (a nurse) can get me into the doctor to get my knee drained... I haven't had to do that in a few years but it's usually an instant, albeit painful, cure.

*I don't think I've posted this on here, but I suffer from chronic patellar dislocation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patellar_dislocation) in both knees, which is why if you look at my pre-race pic on here you'll see I wear heavy-duty patella stabilizers on both knees (thankfully only for running). One of the bad things is that my knees sometimes swell with pockets of blood and not fluid, which is the relevant part to today's story.

Ooh, I hope that the bike ride helps your knee. It certainly sounds painful/scary. Good job on the race though! It looks like you really had fun and amusement park tickets are great race packet gifts :)

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Ooh, I hope that the bike ride helps your knee. It certainly sounds painful/scary. Good job on the race though! It looks like you really had fun and amusement park tickets are great race packet gifts :)

Thanks :) I'll let you know how it goes. Massaging and stretching now. I haven't had any real problems in a few years... blah.

Got my bike ride in. 4 miles. Knee still feels really funny. Argh. I'll brace it tonight and go from there.

Good luck - I hope it's better in the morning

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Hi

Hope you're OK. It's been a while, so an update would be great if you get the chance.

Hey guys! Sorry for the huge break between updates. My internet has been A-W-F-U-L (rural internet FTW! :P ) and I actually considered taking time off of grad school out of frustration (I do my courses online)... I've been having to power cycle the modem several times a day. So, my internet use has been at a minimum (I only have 1x and 1 bar on my phone, too, so that's not any better, haha)

My fibromyalgia has also been wreaking havoc on my body the past week :/ I've been feeling like crap both physically and mentally... I forced myself to go for a bike ride today (story below) and barely made it a mile before wanting to give up (went 1.5 miles because, well, you go one direction you still have to get back, hahaha :) ). Also tried to do some squats and push-ups which I couldn't do. Argh. There's not much I can do about it except sleep as much as I can, take pain meds, and wait it out. Exercise helps sometimes, but I haven't had enough energy to do it during this attack. Even walking is quickly wiping me out. I'm trying to stretch, and have been using my foam roller and back roller every day to try to keep myself from getting stiff, which happens quickly for me during these spells.

How is the knee going?

Question - for triathlon do you put the brace on for the run section only?

They were epic colorful post race pics <3

I haven't been bracing them while riding my bike, but I'm going to actually try it my next ride because that left knee has been feeling like it's about to pop my past couple rides. In a way I wish it would just pop and get it over with (usually just a day or so recovery and only a little bit of pain for a minor dislocation like this feels like it will be - basically just a release of the pressure that builds up under the kneecap).

Funny story: my grandmother lives only 0.25 miles down the road from me. Had to go change a bandage on her leg today (my mom usually does it, but my family is on vacation this week. she has really bad diabetes and is constantly getting sore on her legs - to the point where my cousin brought up the possibility of her someday having to have an amputation... which she would never survive due to her health... :( ) so I rode my bike to the end of the street and hit up her house on the way back. It was raining a little bit on my ride. I hung around her house for a few minutes talking to her. Suddenly, as I'm about to leave, BAM massive downpour, crazy winds, and some thunder in the distance. I didn't want to miss the whole Brazil-Germany game (no cable/satellite at her house) so I decide to leave right away. Plus, who knows how long I'd end up stranded there. Ended up having to wring out my clothes they were so soaked, and 8 hours later they're still dripping wet hanging on the shower. Ah well, I'm so glad I left when I did because that game was epic.

I'll check in again when I can.

Oh, forgot to add that my water intake, sleep, and coursework goals have been going very well.

Oh, forgot to add that my water intake, sleep, and coursework goals have been going very well.

Good stuff, and sorry to hear your health is at a low ebb. It sounds like a bad one, but I am glad to see you're keeping moving as much as you can.

Epic is one word for that game, certainly. We have quite a few brasileiros around here and I expect they'll all be looking a bit gloomy this morning. Dear oh dear. Mrs 18ck watched her fellow Portuguese speakers and even she was in shock.

I played with that fine line between a great workout and stupidity today. I had planned on going for a bike ride, but there ended up being a pretty stiff breeze. I decided to go anyway. Went quite a bit further than I have been going (7.13 mi/11.47km), half of which was against this stiff breeze. I thought I was going to die, and regretted not taking my phone because at one point I wanted to call my dad to come pick me up, haha (when I got home he told me he would've said, "suck it up" ... damn former cross country runners). But, I survived. I don't have that "wow, I feel good" feeling. At all. Oh well.

My left knee nearly gave out on me as soon as I took my brace off, so I'm glad I wore them today. It made things much easier, so I think I'll definitely start wearing them when I cycle. My original plan was to do a ride then a run, but after that... nope, not today.

Well, you got through it and next time it'll be easier. And you might even get closer to that feelgood stage.

Alright! Bike riding is soooOOOOOoooo much easier when it's not windy out. 6.51 mile (10.47km) bike ride followed by 1.16 mile (1.86km) slow jog/walk. Been a while since I hit the pavement running since my knee weakness has still been scaring me, so I took it easy.

I'm calling this challenge a wash and pretending it didn't happen. Heh. I wasn't thinking about my trans-continental adjustment (each time I move a long distance I get sick after 2-3 weeks due to changes in food, water, and air quality).

How did you finish up, Rachel?

Pretty good. Biked three times last week, and did 10.95 miles (17.63km) yesterday. My knee is still feeling a bit funny after I ride, so I haven't been running... what I figure is I'll try this week to do a little running, but if I can't run the whole 5k at the triathlon, I'll just do my best. I have no shame walking part of it :) I'm much more worried about the biking part, since there's no alternative if I can't make it the whole 19km/12 miles...

You'll be fine, I'm sure, but you certainly have lot of grit entering it when you're under-powered. Good to see you back, by the way!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines