Lower vs. Upper Body Fatigue

Is it normal to feel like lower body workouts really kick my ass as opposed to upper body? I am an inexperienced lifter and the only rationale I can come up with is that I'm working much larger muscles in my lower body. I find myself sweating bullets and breathing heavily during my lower body stuff but barely breaking a sweat on upper body days.

To be fair, I do feel like I push myself a little bit more on lower body days.

Any explanation?

What exercises are you doing? Since lower body exercises generally utilize more more muscles (not just bigger ones), it could be that your body is simply working harder to supply more muscles with oxygen. If you're doing front squats, you're compressing your ribcage, which isn't bad unless you forget to breathe. You may also be doing more volume or taking less rest between sets.

I translate things into Latin. Send me a pm.

| Human Flag | One-arm Chinup | | 20 Bar Muscle-ups | | 225 Press | | 365lb Front Squat | | 515lb Deadlift | | Freestanding HSPU | | Gain 15lb | 

Battle Log

It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question and he'll look for his own answers.

Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket. But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.

We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.   - Patrick Rothfuss

Gain 15lbs

42%
42%

From a newbie perspective, I'd say that I've felt leg days a lot more because I don't use the muscles as often as I do the upper. I've lifted heavy things every day for five years - kids, grocery bags, laundry! - so lifting weights just feels like using the same ol' muscles more often and harder, but once I started squats I could hardly walk for a week. It's just not a set of muscles I use in that way on a regular basis, so working them out seemed to hit harder.

warrior : level 8

str: 20.75 | dex: 13.75 | sta: 11.75 | con: 9.75 | wis: 8.25 | cha: 4.75

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora

For me I'm usually sore following lower body days compared to upper body. Also my upper body days go by considerably faster than lower.

I attribute it to the amount of weight I'm using. My lower body days are around 270lbs+ my upper body days are 120 (press) and 190 (bench). More weight = more exhaustion and DOMS.

Also squats are completely full body: quads, hammies, lower and upper back, core, hips, shoulders.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Lower body movements, especially squats, are done with more weight and a greater range of motion than the typical upper body exercises. This means every rep takes much more energy to complete (energy to complete= weight x distance moved). Since you're using more energy, it requires more oxygen, which can leave you gasping.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I feel post-workout fatigue more in the lower body because my lower body and core generally support me and move me around, whereas I don't walk on my hands or otherwise use them as often and feel the fatigue.

However, my complaint is that I'm disappointed with how fast my upper body strength has bottomed out compared to my lower.  My squats and deadlifts get more weight every week, but even just a few sessions in, my bench press is already missing reps.  Ironically it should be my upper body that feels it because it's really at its limits, but I just don't use it as often in normal life.

Hostile intent is imminent. You prepare for battle.