CrazyMags' noob meditation ramblings and questions...

Hello Druids,

I was clogging up the challenge glade with questions and concerns about meditation. I have just started it, and feel pretty self conscious about what I'm doing.

I believe that it is possible to find some inner peace, but I'm also not sure about the spiritual and/or religious aspects of meditation... Though I have a very open mind and heart to whatever insights, thoughts, ideas, tips, meanings, etc. that anyone may have...

As of right now, I have been learning some basics from a person who practices magic....the ideas and beliefs that he has are (for better or worse, like I said, I keep an open mind) somewhat different than anyone I have ever met, so I am not sure if that has any influence on the methods that he is teaching me....

Here are the "lessons" that I've had so far:

Lesson one: focus on the breathing.

This was easy, as I have practiced my breathing as a part of my physical therapy.... Trying to avoid distractions was hard, I had to play some soothing music, but the pandora radio station I was listening to had a really fast song that interrupted me...

Lesson two: A tree.

Start with your breathing from lesson one, and instead of focusing on the breathing, focus on a tree.

Only focus on the tree however, what it looks like, what it would feel like, picture the wind blowing across it's leaves or moving it's branches. Concentrating on the air, or earth is okay, but try to stick to the tree.

If your mind wanders, start the process again.

I found better music this time.

My first vision of a tree was interesting, it was deciduous and on a hill, I watched the tree, and saw the dew dripping from it's leaves, and saw it rapidly change throughout the seasons... It was a maple tree, but changed in the "spring" because it had cherry blossoms... Which made me lose my concentration because I said to myself "I can't be doing this right, maple trees don't have blossoms!"

I tried to reconnect, and my next tree was this one:

a8atu5u5.jpg

Taken in Scotland during my honeymoon.

I was feeling strange during this...sort of that feeling when you are really tired and trying to stay awake....but your eyes keep closing and you keep nodding... Kind of fuzzy and disconnected....but then the dogs started barking and meditation was done.

That was the end of that... Probably 4-5 minutes at the most...

Lesson Three: Become the Tree

This was definitely more challenging.... I felt so happy and calm during/after lesson two... But things had happened (arguing with my husband) and I found that when I started picturing the same tree, and trying to become that tree: I felt sad... Like I wanted to cry... But when I tried to figure out why a tree could be sad, the response that came to my mind was: "it's all alone..." Or "no one notices it..." And my brain kicked in again and said "it's a tree in a forest, and I noticed it.. Maybe I am not imagining that I AM that tree, but that I am a tree that is watching that tree..."

I shifted my thinking to how it would feel, my music had water sounds in it...and it made me concentrate on a rainy tree and how it would feel to have the rain dripping off of me leaves and limbs...

Concentration got harder and harder though... And I think I may have fallen asleep...lol

This is where I am right now, trying to "be" a tree... Still struggling...

Are these steps pretty normal? Are my thoughts random and crazy? Or does this sort of thing happen?

It doesn't seem like there is really a "wrong" way to meditate, because how can I control what my brain is doing or saying during this time?

Input would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you again SunMage for directing me here, and for your help and advice!

Sent from Tapatalk, all errors are the app's fault! ;-)

• Like 2

Level 6.5 Female Druid/Celtic Goddess
(Str. - 14) (Dex. - 10) (Sta. - 11) (Con. - 10) (Wis. - 11) (Char. - 13)

My Most Recent Challenge!

Spoiler

Awake every morning and do your best to follow this daily To-Do List:

1. Think Positively 2. Eat Healthy 3. Exercise Today. 4. Worry Less. 5. Work Hard. 6. Laugh Often. 7. Sleep Well.

Then? Repeat...

"Promise me you will always remember: You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

It sounds like a bunch of basic stuff with a general new age aura mixed in, and yes, a lot of magic influence. Frankly, it's not very useful for you to learn how to become the tree unless you wish to become a magician. And even then, more time with basic practice leading up to that should be done. As a general rule of thumb, be careful with people who claim to practice magic. Not necessarily because they themselves are malicious, but because there is so much misinformation about western occult practice now that a lot of people don't even know how fluffy they are. This doesn't mean your friend is like this, though I do wonder why he is teaching you this particular progression of meditation when there are far more basic things for you to learn.

It doesn't seem like there is really a "wrong" way to meditate, because how can I control what my brain is doing or saying during this time?

There are actually quite a lot of ways to practice meditation incorrectly, and your attitude here is one of them. Traditionally, the entire point of basic meditation is to gain control of the mind. 

Consider this:

Mental Peace = Mental Relaxation. 

For the average person, especially in our modern world, the mind is a chaotic storm of thought, feeling, and information. We intake so much from the world around us, everything from work to offline social interactions to online social media, that we easily get overwhelmed. The mind runs rampant, undisciplined, and the storm of our thoughts drives us so crazy that at the best of times all we can do is try to ignore it by turning our attention to other things -- games, television, movies, books, or even forums such as this. Anything to turn our attention outward, to ignore the mental tension which is so bothersome. 

Meditation, then, reverses this process. Instead of looking outwards for a solution, we look inwards. Here is a basic meditation called Thought Observation:

1) Take a posture that you use to meditate. It doesn't matter what it is, as long as you are comfortable, not slouching, and won't fall asleep. I've known people who do everything from lay down, to hold full lotus for hours at a time perfectly, to many other things. Just sit however you like. The body isn't the point with this practice, it just shouldn't be a distraction.

2) Turn your attention inwards. Don't focus on your breath, don't listen to music, don't focus on the back of your eyelids. All of these things are thoughts, and outer influences -- you want to look past those things. Your space, then, should be as quiet and peaceful as possible, so that you can look within without being influenced by what is without. 

3) As thoughts come, watch them. Let your thoughts play out, passively observing them. Become detached, not thinking or imagining anything, just watching as your train of thoughts flow by you. Every storm has an eye. Detach yourself from the storm and Center yourself in this eye, and as such, watch the storm peacefully as it rages chaotically around you. 

And that is all. The mind is shy by nature, and in watching the storm, it will begin to quiet down. The peace of the storms eye will slowly become natural, and as the mind relaxes deeper in meditation so will it relax deeper during the day. Practice for at least thirty minutes a day, and you'll see progress soon enough. An hour a day, even more so. You don't have to practice all at once either, it's fine to practice morning and evening or throughout the day, as long as you practice. 

Edit:

Alternatively, your "lesson one" is also a common form of concentration meditation called Zazen (among other things), where the point isn't to relax the mind as much as to develop "one-pointedness" of mind -- proper concentration. I learned a form of this too, but I was taught Thought Observation first. After all, is it not better to focus the mind when it is relaxed? You could do either of these every day though and achieve a lot with mental discipline. 

• Like 5

Ketsurou

Level 0 Lycan

Probationer Assassin

STR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

Training Assignments: #1

"If you're afraid to fall, you fall because you're afraid. Everything is Choice." -- Daniel Ilabaca, Choose Not To Fall.

Choose not to fall. Be victorious, one choice at a time. 

"We are all the protagonists of our own life story,

so be the hero that you want to be."

Primary Mission: Lose 64lbs.

7.8%
7.8%

Secondary Mission: Drop 3 Pant Sizes.

25%
25%

You got some very great advice here!

It is very clear and doable.

Citation doesn't work very well with Tapatalk, so I will just post some statements:

@ CrazyMags:

An open mind is very helpful, but: there are many meditations. Many of them with spiritual or religious background. And quite a few pretending to be the one way.

Meditation and especially magic can be defined very differently. So you have to find your own way from all the fascinating options.

I have a basic technique and try very much other stuff. Very often it is intuitive or I read about it several times "by chance"...

You have to decide if you want the shiny stuff or not. I dont . You probably won't, too.

You should find a basic meditation for yourself.

My tip: Nature is simple. Good techniques should be, too.

No music, no guidance, just watching.

• Like 1

Fate whispers to the warrior: "You cannot withstand the storm."

The warrior whispers back:
 "
I am the storm."

There are actually quite a lot of ways to practice meditation incorrectly, and your attitude here is one of them. Traditionally, the entire point of basic meditation is to gain control of the mind.

Consider this:

Mental Peace = Mental Relaxation.

Thank you for you inspiring statement. Although there was much clarity in it, there were no real differences to my view.

But basic meditation is more than gaining control of the mind for me.

Isn't it getting rid of the problem that the mind tries to control everything else?

Isn't it getting rid of the mental limits?

I prefer the term Mastery of the Mind. That's not about the mind being the master.

Its more like having a perfect mind to use for your purposes, whatever they may be.

For me the mind is just a servant(a tool).

Good night!

• Like 1

"
I am the storm."

But basic meditation is more than gaining control of the mind for me.

Isn't it getting rid of the problem that the mind tries to control everything else?

Isn't it getting rid of the mental limits?

I prefer the term Mastery of the Mind. That's not about the mind being the master.

Its more like having a perfect mind to use for your purposes, whatever they may be.

For me the mind is just a servant(a tool).

Good night!

Why should it be a problem that the mind controls some things? It has a job to do, too. It is there to help you think; it is there to run all those little processes that the body requires be done, so we don't need to think about them; it is there to store memory, and knowledge, and wisdom. The mind is not evil or bad. All things serve a purpose. The problems only rise when the mind is allowed to run rampant, and do what it wants -- when ones inner nature is out of balance, and peace is lost. 

What are mental limits? The mind has no limits. It is not the body, which is bound by gravity, and space, and time. The mind can go anywhere. You can imagine yourself as a soldier in the civil war, or as a space pilot on the enterprise. You can imagine yourself weightless, or so rooted that no strong man can budge you. The limits are the things that you decide are limits. 

"You are what you think, having become what you thought." -- Buddha.

To pursue mastery of the mind is noble. After all, that is the point of basic meditation. For how can one master themselves, or anything at all, if they are already a slave to their own mind? But to have a perfect mind is a grand thing, and is not something very useful. A perfect mind can learn nothing, for it is already perfect. What else is left for it to do? Balance and Peace are more useful attainments. 

And, let's not forget, basic meditation is just basic meditation. It is like a white belt learning how to punch. A punch is extremely important, but is that all there is to his craft? Or is there instead no destination at all, and just countless paths to endless peaks?

Good night. :)

• Like 1

Ketsurou

Level 0 Lycan

Probationer Assassin

"If you're afraid to fall, you fall because you're afraid. Everything is Choice." -- Daniel Ilabaca, Choose Not To Fall.

7.8%
7.8%

25%
25%

Wow, I am overwhelmed with gratitude by the depth of everyone's responses... Thank you!

I am still processing what you have all said...so please correct me if I misunderstand... (I've been drinking...so who knows how much I'm understanding...lol) But I think it seems like there is more than one purpose to meditate, one to understand all of your thoughts, to know, process, and be able to recall them in a place of calmness... And the other is to not really see and process, but shut out these thoughts and find peacefulness where you are allowed to detach from that craziness...

I will re-read your posts again tomorrow when I'm more sober and awake...

Hugs to all :)

• Like 1

Spoiler

1. Think Positively 2. Eat Healthy 3. Exercise Today. 4. Worry Less. 5. Work Hard. 6. Laugh Often. 7. Sleep Well.

Then? Repeat...

"Promise me you will always remember: You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

*rereads last post*

Woah. Maybe I shouldn't make forum posts right after meditating. 

I am still processing what you have all said...so please correct me if I misunderstand... (I've been drinking...so who knows how much I'm understanding...lol) But I think it seems like there is more than one purpose to meditate, one to understand all of your thoughts, to know, process, and be able to recall them in a place of calmness... And the other is to not really see and process, but shut out these thoughts and find peacefulness where you are allowed to detach from that craziness...

Thought Observation involves relaxing the mind by observing it, and learning to detach from the storm of thoughts. Because the mind is shy, the storm will eventually quiet down on its own, and thus all you have to do is be a passive observer. As such, this is a very passive meditation.

Thought Control (zazen, et al) involves concentrating on a single thing, so that only that one thought takes up space in your mind. Because all of the mind is focused on that one point, other thoughts will dissolve because the minds resources are being used on that one thing and, similarly to what happens in Thought Observation, those thoughts just fade away for lack of proper attention. If you do not feed a thought, it withers. This is an active meditation, since you are actively concentrating on something. 

There are many meditations to achieve many things, and when you get into the more serious spiritual side there are even many stages of achievement and attainment as things get deeper. In the occult side of things, it's all even more complex. These two basic meditations, however, are essentially just two ways to achieve the same thing. Or you can practice one for a few months and then practice the other, as I was taught, and they will build on each other. You will learn to relax, and then learn how to concentrate. But, doing either one will help you tame the mind, so just do whichever you enjoy more.

Ketsurou

Level 0 Lycan

Probationer Assassin

7.8%
7.8%

25%
25%

*rereads last post*

Woah. Maybe I shouldn't make forum posts right after meditating.

Thought Observation involves relaxing the mind by observing it, and learning to detach from the storm of thoughts. Because the mind is shy, the storm will eventually quiet down on its own, and thus all you have to do is be a passive observer. As such, this is a very passive meditation.

Thought Control (zazen, et al) involves concentrating on a single thing, so that only that one thought takes up space in your mind. Because all of the mind is focused on that one point, other thoughts will dissolve because the minds resources are being used on that one thing and, similarly to what happens in Thought Observation, those thoughts just fade away for lack of proper attention. If you do not feed a thought, it withers. This is an active meditation, since you are actively concentrating on something.

There are many meditations to achieve many things, and when you get into the more serious spiritual side there are even many stages of achievement and attainment as things get deeper. In the occult side of things, it's all even more complex. These two basic meditations, however, are essentially just two ways to achieve the same thing. Or you can practice one for a few months and then practice the other, as I was taught, and they will build on each other. You will learn to relax, and then learn how to concentrate. But, doing either one will help you tame the mind, so just do whichever you enjoy more.

Hmmmmm maybe thought observation... As I'm not sure what thought I'd want to replace all the others... Lol!

Spoiler

Then? Repeat...

RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

I'm not sure what thought I'd want to replace all the others... Lol!

Whatever thought you want to use for the meditation. In your "lesson one" from the first post, you were focusing on your breath. Some people focus on the darkness of their closed eyelids. Some people focus on a dot on the wall, or an image of their deity, or a mantra. Though, those last two are a bit more complicated for some. 

The point isn't to replace all thought entirely, but just to learn how to concentrate by practicing meditation as such. Then, during the day, you can concentrate on whatever you are doing better and "live in the moment" more easily. 

Ketsurou

Level 0 Lycan

Probationer Assassin

7.8%
7.8%

25%
25%

Interesting...

A fact about me that I don't think I've mentioned:

I have a sleep disorder called hypersomnia, I sleep very quickly, but my brain doesn't shut down into a deep sleep as long as most people...

As a teacher, my mind juggles so much stuff, it definitely needs some way to focus and process what is important...

I wonder, if this method like zazen is to concentrate on a single thing, why did my friend suggest a tree? What significance does it have? You are making me more skeptical of the direction he is taking... I will have to read up some more I think...

Spoiler

Then? Repeat...

RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

Don't meditate when you are sleepy, and you likely won't fall asleep while meditating. :) Though focal meditations like zazen may be easier for you than passive meditations, since you do have something to think about and focus on, like your breath, to keep you awake. 

I wonder, if this method like zazen is to concentrate on a single thing, why did my friend suggest a tree? What significance does it have? You are making me more skeptical of the direction he is taking... I will have to read up some more I think...

Trees have different sorts of significance depending on all sorts of things. I'm guessing your friend is some sort of wiccan or pagan, as that sort of practice has particular meaning in those paradigms. Meditating on a tree isn't necessarily bad, and what he is teaching you isn't necessarily complete fluff. He just may not know much else to share with you, but I don't think it will be as useful to you as it is to him. A more simple practice to fulfill your more simple goals will likely benefit you more, which is why I've suggested those things. 

It is good to be skeptical of all things, particularly of those who attempt to teach spiritual or magical things. I have my own beliefs and practices, and I've been around long enough to see more frauds and even more self-deluded amateurs than I have genuine teachers. Take everything with a grain of salt. But, also, remember what true skepticism is. 

"It is the mark of an educated mind to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristole. 

Questioning the validity of something, and applying reason where reason is due, is not the same as the hard edged doubt and disbelief most people associate with skepticism these days. 

• Like 1

Ketsurou

Level 0 Lycan

Probationer Assassin

7.8%
7.8%

25%
25%

Im REALLY glad I subscribed to this thread. This has been enlightening :D

Mags I saw this and thought of you

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2014/03/14-benefits-of-mindfulness-how-it-works-infographic/

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid Ambassador :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Don't meditate when you are sleepy, and you likely won't fall asleep while meditating. :) Though focal meditations like zazen may be easier for you than passive meditations, since you do have something to think about and focus on, like your breath, to keep you awake.

That's the problem, I'm always sleepy...and when I take my adderol to stay awake, I'm wired! :-P

"It is the mark of an educated mind to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristole.

Questioning the validity of something, and applying reason where reason is due, is not the same as the hard edged doubt and disbelief most people associate with skepticism these days.

This is why I am entertaining all options to figure out what works for me. :)

Spoiler

Then? Repeat...

RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

Im REALLY glad I subscribed to this thread. This has been enlightening :D

Mags I saw this and thought of you

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2014/03/14-benefits-of-mindfulness-how-it-works-infographic/

Thank you!!! I will read it when I have a chance to sit down! :)

Spoiler

Then? Repeat...

RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

Thank you again Bekah, even just learning how to meditate is bringing some benefits to me already...

I am traveling right now, and have a hard time sleeping with the time change and the hotel beds etc.

Last night I woke up at 3:30am, and after grumbling that I couldn't sleep my friend suggested I try to meditate and it really did relax me and help me get back to sleep...only problem was I didn't want to wake up in the morning! :-P

Why no music though ? I find it helps me drown out the white noise and let me concentrate?

Spoiler

Then? Repeat...

RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

When I wake um at night I always meditate. Ok most times. But meditating until dawn is better that rying to sleep until dawn. The last is very exhausting, while meditating is still no sleep, but better than nothing...

The choice of music will change what you experience.

Its better for me without.

Do you want to see what is left after the music or everything?

"
I am the storm."

The reason for no music is explained in my first post in the thread. It's a distraction. You want to focus on internal stuff, not external stuff. Otherwise it's easy to overlook internal stuff because you're paying attention to you music or whatever instead of your mind.

Ketsurou

Level 0 Lycan

Probationer Assassin

7.8%
7.8%

25%
25%

I am an auditory person, so even the hum of a refrigerator gets to me... Hard to block out sounds... But you're right, songs change my mood when I meditate....hmmm gonna try again at the airport today I think....

Spoiler

Then? Repeat...

RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

You don't need to actively block outside sounds, because that is still giving focus to what is going on outside.

Just turn your attention inwards. Like someone that walks into a pole because they are focusing on texting, if your attention is on something other than the sound of the fridge than the sound of the fridge will not bother you even though it is still there.

Ketsurou

Level 0 Lycan

Probationer Assassin

7.8%
7.8%

25%
25%

Still struggling to stay conscious while meditating...

The problem I have with sitting up is that with my hypermobility.... I can't just keep an upright position, because as soon as I relax, all the body sags and is uncomfortable...

Today I was thinking about following a fish... Just like when I scuba dive... I think it's more an exercise in concentrating and shutting other things out.... Nothing else...

I dozed a bit at first, but then pulled out of it...

Duration: about 30-40 minutes

Spoiler

Then? Repeat...

RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

Meditation, then, reverses this process. Instead of looking outwards for a solution, we look inwards. Here is a basic meditation called Thought Observation:

1) Take a posture that you use to meditate. It doesn't matter what it is, as long as you are comfortable, not slouching, and won't fall asleep. I've known people who do everything from lay down, to hold full lotus for hours at a time perfectly, to many other things. Just sit however you like. The body isn't the point with this practice, it just shouldn't be a distraction.

2) Turn your attention inwards. Don't focus on your breath, don't listen to music, don't focus on the back of your eyelids. All of these things are thoughts, and outer influences -- you want to look past those things. Your space, then, should be as quiet and peaceful as possible, so that you can look within without being influenced by what is without. 

3) As thoughts come, watch them. Let your thoughts play out, passively observing them. Become detached, not thinking or imagining anything, just watching as your train of thoughts flow by you. Every storm has an eye. Detach yourself from the storm and Center yourself in this eye, and as such, watch the storm peacefully as it rages chaotically around you. 

And that is all. The mind is shy by nature, and in watching the storm, it will begin to quiet down. The peace of the storms eye will slowly become natural, and as the mind relaxes deeper in meditation so will it relax deeper during the day. Practice for at least thirty minutes a day, and you'll see progress soon enough. An hour a day, even more so. You don't have to practice all at once either, it's fine to practice morning and evening or throughout the day, as long as you practice. 

Edit:

Alternatively, your "lesson one" is also a common form of concentration meditation called Zazen (among other things), where the point isn't to relax the mind as much as to develop "one-pointedness" of mind -- proper concentration. I learned a form of this too, but I was taught Thought Observation first. After all, is it not better to focus the mind when it is relaxed? You could do either of these every day though and achieve a lot with mental discipline. 

1) How the hell did I not see this thread until now.

2) How much practice does it take to be able to do this for 30 mins? I had a meditation goal a few challenges ago, but could hardly ever manage more than 15 minutes -_- (The book I was going by said to focus on a mantra and maintain proper posture at the same time.)

Battle Mage, lvl whatever. "There are no men like me."

Is your castle overwhelmed by clutter? Join us, and fight back! How many Clutter Critters can you slay?

Everyday I'm tumblin!

Yeah... I find the only time I've been able to meditate longer than 5-10 minutes was when I questioned whether or not I fell asleep... I'm adding this to my challenge I think...

Spoiler

Then? Repeat...

RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

Added to challenge! http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/51111-CrazyMags-Turns-a-Corner%2E%2E%2E%2E

Spoiler

Then? Repeat...

RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

Ok, subscribing to this post, I love it!

Mags, in regards to having issues with sitting, I would recommend standing or even walking. Meditation does not have to be just sitting on a cushion or rug, hands at a mudra, eyes closed.  I meditate while walking. I let go of any goal, any place that I am set to get to and just walk. I work to clear my mind of everything that I can, and simply experience everything around me.

I hope this helps, and I'd love to keep talking with you all about this!

• Like 1

People always say, "When the time is right..." or "I'm waiting for the perfect..." Guess what the right time never comes along, the perfect moment, guy, gal or opportunity will never drop into your lap. Don't wait, start now. Do what is necessary, then what's possible... and suddenly you're doing the impossible.

Wayward Son

Level 1 Barbarian Shaman

STR 1 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 3 | CHA 3

Wayward Son on Facebook | Wayward Son on Fitbit

Weight Loss : Current weight (240lbs) Goal weight (185lbs)

0%
0%

Current WIP: Amidst Broken Hearts Current Word Count (16,353) Goal Word Count (75,000)

22%
22%