This is my Battle Log leading up to Camp Nerd Fitness and beyond.  I've done challenges here and there, but I need somewhere to document my trials and tribulations outside of challenges.  This post is a placeholder, to be updated as needed.  Onward!

Goals

Food

• Complete a Whole 30
  • Eat Paleo 80% of the time

Fitness

• Run a sub 45 minute 5k
  • 1 single well formed, "big girl" pushup
  • Hold Crow pose

Fun

• Blog semi-regulary
  • Work on creating at least one night a week
  • Complete a full cosplay
  • Start an Etsy shop

Lifestyle

• Become a Morning Person
  • Find a meditation practice that fits for me
  • Learn to speak Spanish
    • Learn to Roll my Rs
    • Study every day .. learning a phrase, listening to music, etc
  • Earn $100 a month from a source other than my 9 to 5

Travel

• Hike the Inca Trail to Machu Piccu.
    • Remember how to spell Machu Piccu.
  • Kayak tour along the Nepali coast on kauai
  • Like 1

(______ <\-/> ______)     Faille | Level 3 Elf Ranger/Druid

/_.-=-.\| " |/.-=-._\     [xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx78%--]
    /_   \(o_o)/    _\      STR 4.75 | DEX 7.75 | STA 8.75 | CON 11.5 | WIS 15.25 | CHA 8.75
     /_ /\/ ^ \/\ _\
      \/ | / \ | \/        
Current Challenge | #0 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6
        /((( )))\           My Battle Log
  jgs __\ \___/ /__
     (((---' '---)))

Whole 30 Progress - Complete!!  1/5/2015 - 2/3/2015 -  Meal Plan

Comic Con Countdown - Goal 155 lbs, 7 to go
0%
0%

Fell on my head practicing Crow pose today.  This is actually a great thing, because usually I'm too afraid to even TRY to fall on my head!  After doing it once, I feel like Crow is actually attainable for me.  Woot!

/_   \(o_o)/    _\      STR 4.75 | DEX 7.75 | STA 8.75 | CON 11.5 | WIS 15.25 | CHA 8.75
     /_ /\/ ^ \/\ _\
      \/ | / \ | \/        
  jgs __\ \___/ /__
     (((---' '---)))

0%
0%

Starting January 5 I will be tackling my first Whole 30!  My main day to day updates will be on a facebook group, but I wanted to put it out here also in order to track my general progress.

In order to maximize my chances for success, this will be my ONLY goal for January.  I am not going to try overly hard to do anything related to exercise, creating, sleep, etc.  If those things happen, great, but my 100% focus is going to be on making sure this Whole30 happens.

My mealplan is almost complete, and is going to involve freezer cooking from onceamonthmeals.com and lunches from nocookpaleo.com.  Cooking is something I really do not enjoy, so I hope to minimize the time in the kitchen and remove the stress of meal planning by getting it all done ahead of time.

Even though I am not starting until Monday, I will take pictures and measurements on Jan 1.  The Whole30 guidelines say not to weigh yourself over the course of the month, but I am a daily weigher-inner, so I will probably just step on the scale and not look at the number during the month ;)  It is very satisfying to watch the line graph over time, and I don't want to miss out on what is promising to be a drastic shift in my body, inside and out!

Let's do this!!

/_ /\/ ^ \/\ _\
      \/ | / \ | \/        
  jgs __\ \___/ /__
     (((---' '---)))

0%
0%

Starting Whole30 tomorrow.  I have 6 days of Breakfast, 4 days of Dinner, and 1 lunch prepared so far.  Tomorrow night I will cook the rest of my dinners for the week.  Lunches are easy to put together the night before.  Even with the bulk cooking it is a lot of stuff to cook. I even MADE mayo today!  It was surprisingly easy.   Hopefully after the 30 days are over I will have a few recipes I really loved, and instead of cooking only 4 servings I can cook 12 or whatever and make them stretch even farther.

Here is a link to my food plan.  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ct9lAtLUwyIAAiVmt9Dl8tEaro24R5vdGUNPf4n9ePE/edit?usp=sharing 

/_ /\/ ^ \/\ _\
      \/ | / \ | \/        
  jgs __\ \___/ /__
     (((---' '---)))

0%
0%

For mayo, I used the Whole30 recipe for mayo, but I did the instructions in the comments for using an immersion blender.  It was like magic!

It tastes really good.. I think the oil I got wasn't exactly "light olive oil", but it wasn't extra virgin either.  There is a slight olive oil taste when it is plain, but totally not overwhelming on food.  Soooo goood!

1051307859_acaa3f5d75.jpg

/_ /\/ ^ \/\ _\
      \/ | / \ | \/        
  jgs __\ \___/ /__
     (((---' '---)))

0%
0%

Days 1 and 2 are in the bag.  

So far I am doing well.  A little hungry during the day, but I have brought a little bag of snacky things for each day to keep me fueled through the end of the day.

My favorite meal so far has been the Stuffed Sweet Potatoes.  Substantial, tasty, and just a little bit of kick.  Yummmmm

It is a little exhausting to constantly be preparing meals.  But thankfully I am done cooking until the weekend.  Will be using the next couple of days to reflect on how to better approach next week, tweak my meal plan a little, and hopefully by the end of the month I'll be able to find some good, sustainable habits to carry me forward!

/_ /\/ ^ \/\ _\
      \/ | / \ | \/        
  jgs __\ \___/ /__
     (((---' '---)))

0%
0%

I'm sitting here eating my dinner for Day 3.  Buffalo Chicken Meatballs, couple handfuls of kale mix, and mayo to try to cut some of the spice (I was too lazy to make it into ranch).  Avoided leftover christmas cookies at work today  

Food and hunger wise I am doing well.  Today I was tired because I slept on the couch, and I'm feeling a little depressed due to work and personal stuff.  I could use a mental health day, but I just had some time off over the holidays so I feel like it's not really appropriate to ask.

I may or may not have gone to Target and bought more underwear on my way home rather than have to do laundry tonight.  I don't think I've ever done that before, so I'll let it slide in the spirit of the "dedicate everything to Whole30" ... doing laundry would have taken more willpower than I have to spend right now.

Hopefully my energy is up tomorrow!  I get to eat the stuffed sweet potatoes I made yesterday so I'm excited about that :)

• Like 1

/_ /\/ ^ \/\ _\
      \/ | / \ | \/        
  jgs __\ \___/ /__
     (((---' '---)))

0%
0%

hugs! I hope today was better, if you haven't ever done a Whole30 before, watch out for the depression aspect of it, by day 10 I am suicidal just about every time I do any kind of keto/under 100g of carb anything, so I just dont do anything that low at all period...so just don't ignore that if it continues ok? Otherwise you are definitely doing great with the food, i :love_heart: homemade mayo, J makes it all the time and we make blue cheese and ranch dip with it :D It's sooo good :D 

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Hi Bekah!  Thanks for keeping me honest :)  

I've been doing pretty good.  Still eating on plan.  Slept like 12 hours last night so slow getting going this morning/afternoon, which happens just about every time I sleep so long like that, but I never learn!  Sleeping is one of my favorites.  Ate my breakfast, now sitting here eating a coffee w/ coconut oil and finishing up my grocery list before heading out to go shopping. Swapped out a recipe because in my Costco-induced mania I bought like 3 gallons of chicken stock and want to make sure I use the container I opened up before it goes bad

Still have not cheated and as long as I know what my next meal is going to be I don't really feel like I need to.  Really wanted one of those donuts at work on Friday, though.  I think the thought of having to start over after doing a week already is keeping me on track more than anything else

I didn't really think about how the Whole30 itself might be messing with my emotions, too.  But I went back and re-read the timeline and I think you're right.  Will have to keep that in mind on top of everything else :)  I have done all paleo before for a couple months and don't remember feeling this way.  I think it is just a perfect storm of work/relationship/food/weather blahs right now.  

To end on a good note.. the high is 68 today, so I guess I should remove weather from my list of blahs since most other people have it so. much. worse. right now :)  Love all of you!

• Like 1

/_ /\/ ^ \/\ _\
      \/ | / \ | \/        
  jgs __\ \___/ /__
     (((---' '---)))

0%
0%

I may or may not have gone to Target and bought more underwear on my way home rather than have to do laundry tonight.  I don't think I've ever done that before, so I'll let it slide in the spirit of the "dedicate everything to Whole30" ... doing laundry would have taken more willpower than I have to spend right now.

LOL!! That almost reminds me of me. The last time this happened I was also too lazy to go to the store, so I just started to wear bathing suit bottoms instead of underwear until motivation came back.

Seriously, though, what is it about laundry that makes it so annoying to do? And yeah, guess what I need to do today :|

A+ for keeping up with the Whole30! hopefully the perfect storm of blah goes away.

• Like 2

Glad to hear it isn't so bad anymore :) The timeline was a lifesaver for me when I attempted a Whole30 too :) 

LOL about the underwear! I think if I could drive, I would have probably done that a time for two, but since I dont, I have to do laundry! LOL! I dont mind it though usually, its folding it that gets me, so I just bought several of these Trofast setups and you can switch out the sizes (and colors) for the bins, and I have my clothes in them, and then labeled the bins and my nicer clothes are hung up. So I dont fold anything but J's underwear and some of his clothes bc he has a normal dresser, and hang up everything else. The kids are responsible for their own laundry and use the same Trofast setup too. It works for us :) 

trofast-storage-combination-white__01141

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

Laundry has too many steps to follow.  You have to

sort,

carry to the washer,

put it in the washer,

turn on the washer,

remember when its finished washing,

move it from the washer to the dryer,

turn on the dryer,

remember when its finished drying,

remove it from the dryer,

take it back to your room,

sort again,

fold, 

put away.

Then I have so many clothes I no longer need but are taking up hanger space that I have nowhere to put my now clean clothes, so they end up in a "clean pile" in my room next to the "dirty piles".

I've done the bathing suit thing a time or two, but unfortunately it makes me look like I'm wearing a diaper under my work clothes so vanity eventually wins out over laziness.

• Like 2

/_ /\/ ^ \/\ _\
      \/ | / \ | \/        
  jgs __\ \___/ /__
     (((---' '---)))

0%
0%

Steps to follow? Pfffff.

- No sorting whatsoever (all black, wooo!)

- Shove as many clothes as possible in washer

- Start washer on max everything, and cold water because I have no idea what I'm doing.

- Add soap to max lvl

- Forget about washer for about 4 hours

- Walk by washer and realize "oh, right, I should move those clothes to the dryer"

- Shove clothes into dryer and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T FORGET THE ANTI STATIC SHEET

- Start dryer and forget about it until it goes BBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

- Open door and close it again to stop the buzzing.

- Leave clothes in the dryer, picking from the pile every now and then whenever I need clean clothes

- Get yelled at a lot

In other words, I'd never ever manage to do laundry like a normal person if I lived on my own and had to actually go to a laundromat or something equally horrible. I'd probably just let my clothes soak in the bath tub for a few minutes and then call them clean after they dried. Somehow.

I'M AN ADULT!

And I hear you about the piles XD

• Like 1

Steps to follow? Pfffff.

- No sorting whatsoever (all black, wooo!)

- Shove as many clothes as possible in washer

- Start washer on max everything, and cold water because I have no idea what I'm doing.

- Add soap to max lvl

- Forget about washer for about 4 hours

- Walk by washer and realize "oh, right, I should move those clothes to the dryer"

- Shove clothes into dryer and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T FORGET THE ANTI STATIC SHEET

- Start dryer and forget about it until it goes BBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

- Open door and close it again to stop the buzzing.

- Leave clothes in the dryer, picking from the pile every now and then whenever I need clean clothes

- Get yelled at a lot

In other words, I'd never ever manage to do laundry like a normal person if I lived on my own and had to actually go to a laundromat or something equally horrible. I'd probably just let my clothes soak in the bath tub for a few minutes and then call them clean after they dried. Somehow.

I'M AN ADULT!

And I hear you about the piles XD

I'm just waiting for those robot fish Korea invented to clean my clothes (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2737957/Would-let-robot-FISH-clean-clothes-Korean-designer-reveals-unique-washing-machine-aquarium-filled-dirt-sucking-bots.html).

But for now, doing the bare minimum to clean my clothes. I got better things to do like internet.

• Like 1

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

Bekah I do like those bins.  I might have to break down and do something like that along my wall.  I already have a dresser... in reality I just need to purge a LOT of stuff.

Whole30 day 8 complete!  I am now over 25% of the way through.. woohoo!  My friend at work brought me homemade chickpea curry this morning, and at first I was excited to eat it but then I checked and no garbanzo beans :(  So I brought it home and froze it.  Looks like I will need an indian food day when this is over.. my freezer is slowly filling up with indian sweets and meals and it is only the first week!  I was doing a little too much snacky type stuff today (carrot sticks, plantain chips), so I need to look out for that.  It was definitely boredom/mindless eating and not because I was truly hungry.  Lunch is packed for tomorrow and now I'm going to BED!

• Like 1

/_ /\/ ^ \/\ _\
      \/ | / \ | \/        
  jgs __\ \___/ /__
     (((---' '---)))

0%
0%

Woah!  30% done... it is allllmost flying by :)

Thinking about taking a trip to see my folks this weekend.. probably not a good idea diet wise.  Maybe I will surprise them next month instead.  They are a 6 hour drive away and they might question my mental health if I brought a whole cooler of frozen meals with me, lol.

• Like 1

/_ /\/ ^ \/\ _\
      \/ | / \ | \/        
  jgs __\ \___/ /__
     (((---' '---)))

0%
0%

Day 13 of Whole 30 Complete.

SO VERY GLAD I made a meal plan ahead of time.  It was a lot of work, but every day I just look at it and say "Yup, that's what I'm eating today".  And even just two weeks in it has gotten easier to change up my meals depending on what I feel like eating or what I have left over.

Today I went grocery shopping and found the holy grail of Whole 30 -- COMPLIANT BACON.  I had to drive 30 minutes away to get it, but yummm I will be cooking it up in my breakfast hash tomorrow morning and have it for my breakfasts this week!

Tonight I made 8 turkey burger patties using a recipe posted from the onceamonthmeals site.  This is another keeper.  I doubled the recipe so cooked up 2 pounds of turkey total, and used half mild and half hot chilies because I wasn't sure how hot the hot ones were.  So delicious, easy to make, and a good sized serving of protein.  Will definitely be working this into some kind of a rotation for the future.

Another thing I've done which has never really happened before is used up all of something before it went bad, haha.  So I got to buy ANOTHER jar of pickles, because I actually finished the jar last week.  And I need to buy MORE cumin, because it turns out if you cook more than twice a year spices actually get used up, too!

So after a really down few days last week, things are looking up and I'm just moving forward one day at a time.  Hopefully tiger blood is just around the corner!

• Like 1

/_ /\/ ^ \/\ _\
      \/ | / \ | \/        
  jgs __\ \___/ /__
     (((---' '---)))

0%
0%

Bekah I do like those bins.  I might have to break down and do something like that along my wall.  I already have a dresser... in reality I just need to purge a LOT of stuff.

I did that too, I threw out just about 1/3 of my stuff (I purged last year when I moved, but I have a shopping problem ;)

Another thing I've done which has never really happened before is used up all of something before it went bad, haha.  So I got to buy ANOTHER jar of pickles, because I actually finished the jar last week.  And I need to buy MORE cumin, because it turns out if you cook more than twice a year spices actually get used up, too!

Glad things are looking up and LOL @ spices! Made me think of how I don't even have enough room in my spice cabinet for all the spices we use. 

image_zpsd8921cc5.jpg

and the rest of it: 

image_zpsf54b5011.jpg

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

Holy tons of spices!  My spices are mostly sized like the ones on your bottom shelf.  If I bought something the size of the other shelves I'd probably never get rid of it.  Maybe that will be a challenge for a year... use an ENTIRE big ass bottle of oregano, lol

/_ /\/ ^ \/\ _\
      \/ | / \ | \/        
  jgs __\ \___/ /__
     (((---' '---)))

0%
0%

!!!!!! HALFWAY THROUGH MY WHOLE 30 !!!!!!

/_ /\/ ^ \/\ _\
      \/ | / \ | \/        
  jgs __\ \___/ /__
     (((---' '---)))

0%
0%

Alrighty, now I'm 2/3 of the way done with my Whole30 :)  Just a week and a couple days left.  I still have not cheated, and even went to a restaurant to meet some friends on Saturday and had club soda w/ lime and a compliant salad.  

I will confess to a MINOR slipup on Saturday that I won't count against me.  For xmas this year I got myself a tiny little one ounce keychain flask.  I had filled it up but never used it yet.  My friends were teasing me about not being able to drink while I was playing games last night, and I was playing with the flask in my hands while talking to them.  Then I went to bite my nails (bad bad bad) and some of the flask had leaked and gotten on my fingers.  OH NO SUGAR IN MY MOUF.  But, I immediately went and washed my hands, it was completely unintentional and I'll be damned if I let something like that make me start at day 0.  

Feeling a little bit of cooking fatigue.  I didn't make my grocery list until this morning, and I still don't want to go out and actually shop for it, let alone cook it.  Going to make scotch eggs, meatballs, and ginger chicken this week.  But I'm not going to double recipes this time.  I still have some frozen meals from the previous weeks that I need to get through so I have enough containers to keep freezer cooking :)

/_ /\/ ^ \/\ _\
      \/ | / \ | \/        
  jgs __\ \___/ /__
     (((---' '---)))

0%
0%

!!!!!! HALFWAY THROUGH MY WHOLE 30 !!!!!!

Alrighty, now I'm 2/3 of the way done with my Whole30 :)  Just a week and a couple days left.  I still have not cheated, and even went to a restaurant to meet some friends on Saturday and had club soda w/ lime and a compliant salad.  

I will confess to a MINOR slipup on Saturday that I won't count against me.  For xmas this year I got myself a tiny little one ounce keychain flask.  I had filled it up but never used it yet.  My friends were teasing me about not being able to drink while I was playing games last night, and I was playing with the flask in my hands while talking to them.  Then I went to bite my nails (bad bad bad) and some of the flask had leaked and gotten on my fingers.  OH NO SUGAR IN MY MOUF.  But, I immediately went and washed my hands, it was completely unintentional and I'll be damned if I let something like that make me start at day 0.  

Feeling a little bit of cooking fatigue.  I didn't make my grocery list until this morning, and I still don't want to go out and actually shop for it, let alone cook it.  Going to make scotch eggs, meatballs, and ginger chicken this week.  But I'm not going to double recipes this time.  I still have some frozen meals from the previous weeks that I need to get through so I have enough containers to keep freezer cooking :) 

I'm late to this but....

OMG THAT'S FUCKING 

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!

and that tiny slip, is totally not count-worthy!   :moon:

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn