Harihead's first challenge -- new member

Hi, there! Newbie here. I hope I'm doing this right-- mods, correct me as needed!

I've been semi-paleo for about 2 months, and have been swimming 30 minutes daily for 5 weeks. I feel great! But I'm not losing weight. I did an IF last week and enjoyed it, so will probably make Tuesday my regular day. 

BUT I don't feel I'm making good enough progress toward my goals. After reading extensively at this site today, I think I need to tune up my diet/exercise program. So I am starting a QUEST:

Main Quest: Get back to my 50-year old fitness level

6 years of office work has really put me out of whack. So here are some near-terms goals that will fit the timeframe. 

1. Reduce the fruit and dairy in my paleo diet to no more than 1 serving/day.

2. Do the body-weight strength routine 3x/week.

3. Continue Tuesday fasting.

Unrelated Life Quest:  Make fiction writing a priority again

Because it gradually fell off the map when I had to give up my own business and go back to work in an office. I really miss the life I had then. I knew it was a good gig, and I'm still sad it had to end. 

Motivation:  Find myself again

If feel as if corporate America has sucked out my soul. I grew increasingly frustrated as I had to devote so many hours to serving their needs, and having only the crumbs left over for myself. That led to depression and all its consequences. Taking control of my food & exercise at least will give me a strong body back, to help fight the evil suckers of time. 

Wish me well, fellow adventurers. I gird myself for battle!

Cheers.

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

STR 13 | DEX 10 | STA 21 | CON 19 | WIS 20 | CHA 15

ChallengesCurrent 1 2 3 | 4 | 5 6 7 7.5 8 9 | 10 | 11 | 11.5 | 12  | 13 | 14  

Groups:  | Rangers Walk to Mordor

Nerd Fitness Academy level: 0 | Starting over

Eat clean, walk strong, age gracefully with joy. 

Hey there Harihead! Your goals look great, and I think you're doing everything right for the first challenge. Oh, and before I say anything else...

:triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:WELCOME TO THE DAI-GURREN BRIGADE!!! :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

You can accomplish those goals of yours, I know it! And your new team, THE DAI-GURREN BRIGADE will have your back 100% of the way! Woo! Now, lets go kick some ass :D

• Like 1

[ Battle Log: - THE LEGEND OF WILL - ]

Spoiler

"I can change the future!"

- Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles

"I still don't know what I should do. What [he's] doing isn't for his own gain. He walks the path he believes in, one step at a time. Wishing only for the happiness of those around him. I, on the other hand... I thought I didn't have a path that I could take laid out before me. But like he said, that's just running away. I must find my own path."

- Fei from Xenogears

"A life of adventure awaits those with the courage to step beyond their comfort zones."

- Hylian Dan from The Philosophy of The Wind Waker

Yay, my brigade weighs in. Thank you so much! 

In all seriousness, I already feel mighty. That was the weird thing about my first Tuesday fast last week. I felt really STRONG. Like, I'm in control of my destiny, master of my domain! Well, in control of my destiny, anyway. ;)

It's not in my goals above, but I'm also taking a "before" picture and getting the vital stats down. I will weigh-in once a week instead of daily. 

THANK YOU, DAI-GURREN BRIGADE!!!

The awesomeness around here is fab. Cheers!

HH

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

Welcome Harihead! To both Nerd Fitness and the Dai-Gurren Brigade! :)

I noticed that you're doing bodyweight training, which means you share some goals with the Assassins guild!!

We're a friendly bunch with a wide range of skills and activities. Find out what we are all about here. Then come visit us at the Assassin's Den or you can look up other members of the guild in our handy phonebook. Our phonebook lists the skills that our members are working on for this challenge. 

We'll come by to check on your progress weekly, but if you have questions, don't hesitate to ask!

• Like 2

Major Respawn in Progress

Current

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 4.1 5 6

"Each of you is perfect the way you are ... and you can use a little improvement." - Shunryu Suzuki 

Welcome Harihead! To both Nerd Fitness and the Dai-Gurren Brigade! :)

I noticed that you're doing bodyweight training, which means you share some goals with the Assassins guild!!

We're a friendly bunch with a wide range of skills and activities. Find out what we are all about here. Then come visit us at the Assassin's Den or you can look up other members of the guild in our handy phonebook. Our phonebook lists the skills that our members are working on for this challenge. 

We'll come by to check on your progress weekly, but if you have questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Lullaby, thank you for your very kind greeting! I will definitely look up the guild-- um, might not be for a night or two, as I have 2 jobs and my next free evening is Weds. This has been my life all year, which is why I packed on 15 pounds this year alone. But it's so wonderful to have encouragement-- and people who care if I succeed! Thank you. :)

Before and after pics / stats can be a real motivator.  :encouragement:

And feeling in control is awesome (or so I've heard  :) ).  :triumphant:

Oh, good GRIEF! I look even worse than I thought-- and this is after 6 weeks of daily swimming. O_o 

Anyway, yes, I'd say they are motivating!

In other news, I calculated my Main Quest this morning, and was shocked to find I'm already 9% of the way there. Whahoo! Yes, I know I've been going at it steadily, but it felt as if I was making no progress. It's encouraging to see that I am. 

And now, with all this support, I CANNOT FAIL. I am the AWESOME FITNESS NERD and shall rule the non-Paleo minions with a benevolent wave of my hand. Ah, the power!

Sorry, I need to sit down and breathe into a paper bag. 

Cheers, y'all!

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

Motivation:  Find myself again

If feel as if corporate America has sucked out my soul. I grew increasingly frustrated as I had to devote so many hours to serving their needs, and having only the crumbs left over for myself. That led to depression and all its consequences. Taking control of my food & exercise at least will give me a strong body back, to help fight the evil suckers of time. 

Wish me well, fellow adventurers. I gird myself for battle!

Cheers.

Stopping in to sub our newest awesome Brigadeer!  ;)

I LOVE that above statement. I don't have a correlation on the corporate america part, but I completely understand how something can so take over your life that you stop taking the time for yourself. And that's what brought me here. And I have blessed the day I found this place and the Brigade.  

Now, go forth and be awesome Harihead, we've definitely got your back! :triumphant:

• Like 1

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

funny-pictures-cat-has-toy-pony-minions.

Lol, seriously lullaby, I love that pic! :lol:

• Like 2

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

I have blessed the day I found this place and the Brigade.  

Now, go forth and be awesome Harihead, we've definitely got your back! :triumphant:

You know, I feel it! AshPS, thanks so much. 

NERDS RULE!

And Minions are ponies. Very cute, Lullaby88!

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

Checking in--

Here's what happens when you make up your challenge markers before you get the results back from your fancy-dancy blood test: you gotta change things. 

Apparently IF is not the thing for me at the moment. I have adrenal fatigue, a natural outcome of the monstrous stress I'd been under all year. The good news is that I can adjust my diet to compensate. I spent yesterday doing that research and making up a new shopping list. I'm including cocoanut oil capsules whenever I have fruit as a snack (1/day). I'm also adding in more starchy vegetables (no grains) to keep my carbs from going too low. The doctor put me on licorice, but I got a few extra supplements because I want my fatigue to GO AWAY so I can body slam my goals again. 

I'm also supposed to cut coffee, but that will be too much for me to take on all at once. I'm going to finish out my current challenge with this AF-optimized diet, and then come up with appropriate challenges for next time. 

So, to summarize: 

Diet: I'm absolutely kicking butt here. I've never been so diet-conscious in my life, and it shows (in a good way).

Exercise: Not quite so kick-butt. I'm weak! I'm following the program, doing my 3x/week training, but it's a challenge. The muscles in my shoulders are particularly tight. I need some good stretches.

IF: I loved doing this the 2 times I did it-- just didn't eat Tuesdays. But this is undermining my AF recovery, so it has to go. Instead, I'll change this one to removing stevia from my diet. It has the beneficial effect of having me drink less coffee, which will prep me for the next challenge.

Folks, I'm loving the stretches. What is your favorite shoulder/neck stretch?

Happy 4th!

• Like 1

Level 9 Ranger

Folks, I'm loving the stretches. What is your favorite shoulder/neck stretch?

Happy 4th!

I personally love a good roll with a foam roller with my arms crossed in front of me for my shoulders.  For the neck I enjoy a good rub out with a lacrosse ball.  Happy 4th to you!

Current: reorient

Old: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | a | b | battle log

Older: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

myfitnesspal | epic quest

Foam rolling (or using a ball for the neck) is really good! :encouragement:

The stretches in this video are all quite good (depending on your stretching goals ;) )

After a day of slumping in front of a screen, I especially like the very first stretch where he's turning on his side. :)

• Like 1

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

I personally love a good roll with a foam roller with my arms crossed in front of me for my shoulders.  For the neck I enjoy a good rub out with a lacrosse ball.  Happy 4th to you!

Thanks, Forkboy! For the lacrosse ball, do you just hold it in your hand and rub? 

I tried the foam roller and it felt great-- except I got my hair caught under the roller!  :redface-new:

Swampling, thanks for that video! I will use them all. I'm working more stretches into my routine and it feels great. 

Why didn't I join this site years ago? :)

• Like 1

Level 9 Ranger

Good job adjusting your goals.  Perfectly "legal" and smart!!

I tend to just roll my neck, but I'm going to check out the video above.  Great additions there, Swampling!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

I put it on my neck and then lean against a wall and then roll it along the wall.

Excellent! I will try this today. 

Thanks for the encouragement, Chris! I figured the Rebellion is all about doing fitness intelligently, so they wouldn't mind a change in goals. 4 more days, and I go off on vacation. I'm looking forward to the break. I'm encouraged because I spent all day the 4th at a party, and did not overeat and was not tempted by bad foods. I feel so much better on my paleo diet, I really don't want to cheat. I hope that continues!

I pulled out an old book on stretching titled, "Stretching". by Bob Anderson. He's got the 30th Anniversary "Stretching" edition here

I've been doing a full stretch routine for 3 days now and I feel like a new woman. The short post-workout stretch wasn't enough for me; this longer routine (20 minutes) is apparently what I need to relax my muscles. The good news is I feel even better, and that sharp neck pain is going away. I took time to stretch before my strength routine yesterday, and my muscles loved it-- going through the motions with less strain and much more ease, and no tight neck after finishing. 

This has been a real learning experience. I'm so glad I found this site!

• Like 1

Level 9 Ranger

Great job!!  Hope you enjoy your vacation and post lots of inspiring photos!

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

Still cranking along. Very proud of myself for continuing my strength workouts even in the wilderness.

Food went a bit to pot during vacation. Not really over indulging calories-wise, but eating grains and more fruits than I should have. Immediately got back to hard-core paleo upon my return and am regaining the lost ground. I'm in for the long haul, so not stressing about it. Que sera.

If anyone drops in, here's a big thumb's up to you.

Cheers. 

• Like 1

Level 9 Ranger

Hey, thanks, Forkboy!

I'm in a good space right now-- attitude is great, determination is super high, with the patience of knowing I have a long row to hoe, but folks who will help keep me on track for when the stressful times that got me into this mess come back.

Also, going to Camp Nerd Fitness is a huge boost. I have to be on target for at least 2 months, because I want to do as many activities as I can fit into that long weekend. I pulled myself back from the brink, but I'm far from my personal best. I'm all about getting back there, before it's too late. Cheers!

• Like 3

Level 9 Ranger

Awesome job!!  I hope to meet up with you at Camp Nerd Fitness!!!

238748080_Z2CXQARS_c.jpg

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines