Mir squat form check

Okay. So. I can feel my right leg caving in when it gets hard, and I can manage to push it back out but I can't stop it from happening. Also pretty sure something wonky is going on with my back because it feels a little owie. Although these were MUCH improved from 2 weeks ago. Not sure how much the video shows. (This was set 2 of 3).

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

You have the bar really far up your neck which leads to being more upright than most. Have you tried with the bar further down your shoulders, or is this compensation for the back issue?

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Bar position looks ok, movement looks ok overall just a little stiff. If you're doing mobility really hammer hip ER and IR (people often forget to do this).

I'd also try moving the stance in a bit. Hard on the video but I think you're probably too wide. If you can't hit depth with a more narrow stance the answer is the same: mobility. Well, mobility and goblet squats.. and pause squats. During mobilization I'd also work on a little less toe angle which, more than anything, makes it easier not to valgus.

So squat warmup: if you can sit in a decent bottom position cold I'd start with the barbell ankle stretch for a couple minutes then work into some pause squats with just the bar. Then do some reps slowly increasing the speed (but still pausing in the bottom for a short time, ~1-2s) and get some blood flowing. Think two sets of eight to ten. Then do your hip mobility work. After that do a few sets of goblet squats again focusing on hanging out in the bottom. Then go back to the barbell and see how your bottom position feels and start working up.

Sounds like a lot of work but it is definitely worth it and once you find out what works and get used to the flow you can do all this in 5-10 minutes.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

FANTASTIC. Yay. Thank you so much. I can do all these things. My stance is definitely wide - it seems to get wider when the weight gets heavy - so I'll work on that. And maybe throw some more front squats in there :P

I can totally hang out in the bottom for some amount of time. At least a minute, so we're good there. I will work on these! And maybe even work on them on non-squat day.

You think that will take care of the knee caving issue?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

It will definitely help. Once all that feels good and you're hitting depth with the new stance if it's still a problem you can do some more tricks to sort it out. Normally once you're comfortable through the whole range and actively think about keeping the knees out it works out if you're using reasonable weight.

Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

Yup I think so. I've never found a stance that's perfect for me, and I think it's because my stance seems to naturally get wider as the weight gets heavier. So I will def try all these things.

Yayyy advice.

• Like 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Absolutely. I wrote that in during the context of mobilization above but should have made it more clear. The goal is to move the stance in and get into a more forward toe position. Generally we start down this road by mobilizing in these positions even if our working squats aren't quite there. If someone is close to the target they can generally integrate the change within a few sessions. It does require a bit more hip and ankle mobility so some cranking is often required.

And I missed Mir's question about non squat days. Yes. Squat mobility all the days. At least until it's no longer a second thought.

• Like 1