• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

liftingitall

Top 10 exercises to cut weight?

I don't think of exercises for their fat-loss ability; losing fat is easier done through dieting and overall activity.  If I had to choose a "fat-loss" exercise, I guess I'd pick any that are energy intensive.  Beyond aerobics, I guess something like rowing.  Which is still kinda aerobics.

Top 2:

Table pushaways

Fork putdowns

I can't do enough in the gym to burn myself into a deficit. I can play with my diet a lot easier.

Beat me to it. Damn.

• Like 1

Beat me to it. Damn.

my thoughts exactly. 

diet for weight loss.

workout for optimizing fat loss and for general health and well being.  

• Like 3

There is something to be said for the EPOC effect.  If you're looking for exercises that burn calories and build muscle, big moves like squats, deadlifts, bench press, and standing overhead presses are your best bet.  But as has already been mentioned, none of that will mean anything if your diet isn't dialed in.

• Like 1

During meals, do single rep concentric only bodyweight box squats. This should be supersetted with a few walking steps. If done correctly you should only need 1 set of each. This should be done grease the groove style throughout the day, really whenever food is in front of you.

Don't worry so much about overtraining, these exercises can be done every day without issue; in fact doing so will definitely help you reach your goals.

• Like 3

I don't think of exercises for their fat-loss ability; losing fat is easier done through dieting and overall activity.  If I had to choose a "fat-loss" exercise, I guess I'd pick any that are energy intensive.  Beyond aerobics, I guess something like rowing.  Which is still kinda aerobics.

Nah, if you want to do an exercise that will actually be effective for fat loss, you have to be able to do massive amounts of it (so that the cal burn amounts to something), and you have to be able to do it every day.

So in other words, walking.

Diet is primary. You can reach most all fat-loss goals through changing eating habits. You can speed up fat loss with excercise.

Really, it depends on what you will do, and what you enjoy doing.

Sprints are tremendous in terms of turning up your metabolism for the day and encouraging cardiovascular metabolic change. They're very time efficient. Get a monster workout in 15 minutes. You can do them in a closet with the right equipment.

Several studies find sprints tend to be on equal par with steady-state "cardio" for fat loss - but done in much less time.

Distance running is effective, but can be really hard on joints, especially if you are overweight. The the more fat you need to lose, the more stressful jogging is on your body. Too much steady state cardio (running) can be hard on the joints, and can significantly raise cortisol levels which greatly hinders fat loss. Cycling is healthier if you're heavier, but here in seattle getting crushed by a bus is not necessarily preferential to getting a knee replacement from jogging.

High intensity lifting (HIT) is excellent as well, but not quite as effective as HIIT sprinting. But very approachable for someone who is more than 40 pounds overweight.

I prefer HIT and HIIT because I'm more of an axe-wielder than a fencer. I've lost almost 70 pounds but still have 25ish to go. I ran when I was in my 20s as part of my MMA training (serious recreational, not competitive) but now in my 40s with an extra 25 pounds I think it would be a bad life decision.

But a lot of people loooove the runner's high - which can be awesome and last a good part of the day.

Get your eating habits in line with your body composition goals, and any of these 3 will speed things up.

The routine that fits you is the best one.

• Like 2

From sifting through the vast amount of total bs there is on the internet my suggestions are:
1 - Diet

2 - Strength

3 - HIIT

4 - Low intensity cardio (eg walk)

Diet is 80-90%, that seems to be widely known

Strength training burns calories, is kind of HIIT and also makes you stronger. Like a triple win

HIIT takes minimal time and gives you good afterburn/EPOC meaning you burn more calories for like 24hrs after

Low intensity stuff burns more fat as a percentage of the fuel you are using but burns less calories overall than HIIT. But you can do it every day.

I actually had a lot of success last May through September when i was starting out by just walking every day and tightening up my diet a tad. The great thing about walking is most people can do it, or something similar. Strength and HIIT are great but not everyone can jump straight into those, i didn't feel i could last summer.

• Like 1

since everyone mentioned diet already ill just give the exercises that i did to lose the fat.

the big compund lifts (deadlift, squat, pullups, dips/benchpress, etc) + walking worked for me in cutting down massive bf%.

Also make sure u keep your stress down (walking helps) and sleep properly. That has caused so many people including myself to overeat.

• Like 1

One word: Tabata. Tabata is HIIT, with a time interval of 20 seconds maximum intensity work, followed by 10 seconds rest. 8 Rounds, for a total of 4 minutes, is what most people do, but you can lower or raise the amount of rounds to fit your athletic abilities. I would also recommend sticking to bodyweight exercises, because you dont need much resistance to be feeling it by the end of the workout. I do pushups, inverted rows, calf raises, squats, and burpees as Tabata exercises.

Diet is what'll make you lose body fat. Exercise will help you to further in losing body fat. It should come as no surprise that the two come hand in hand. Diet alone can have incredible results.

When I say diet I don't mean "go on a diet", I just mean eat healthier foods. Lean meats, lots of vegetables, lots of water, cut down on the unhealthy foods and sugar and stuff. You don't have to totally restrict yourself on the latter things, just go easier on them. 

Instead of ten exercises, here's ten tips for losing some body fat. These are tips that I've pretty much stolen off others, e.g. from what people have taught me and from what I've seen and heard of through articles, videos etc... but they work. 

• Walk every day. Walk for about half an hour to an hour and try and do it early in the morning before breakfast. You can listen to music to help pass the time or you could listen to something educational and instructional so you essentially learn while you exercise. With the walking, just walk, don't worry about trying to be fast or anything, just walk. 

• Eat lots of vegetables. Lots of them. As much as you want! Because they're super good for you. Smash those veggies!

• Eat adequate amounts of protein to suit your needs. Whether it's lean meat like chicken breast, fish, tuna etc. be sure to get enough protein. If you don't want to eat meat or anything like that, you could use isolated whey protein supplements or something as an alternative. 

• Drink only water and lots of it. Try to cut out other drinks like fruit juices, soft drinks/soda, milk drinks, alcohol etc. All these things have things you don't need. Drink lots of water. Like I said above though, don't totally restrict yourself of these bad drinks, have them maybe once or twice a week. Just take it easy on them and drink lots of water instead. 

• Avoid sugar. This can be super hard because we all love sugar and it's super addictive, but it's seriously the worst thing we can put into our bodies. Try to avoid it as often as you can and if you really want to have some, then like I mentioned before with drinks, try to limit yourself to it maybe once or twice a week. People may condemn me for saying this, but try to avoid fruit too as fruit can contain a lot of sugar. If you're gonna eat fruit, eat apples because of their fibre content. 

• Go to the gym and lift. Go to the gym maybe three times a week minimum and lift some weights. Follow a suitable weight lifting program that can give you direction and goals. Be sure to know how to correctly perform the exercises, seek instruction through someone who knows what they're doing. It would be better to do that face to face, but watch some videos on YouTube if you can't. Regarding what exercises to do, try to focus on big compound lifts and lift as heavy as you can in a safe, practical manner. Exercises to look into could be squats, dead lifts, overhead pressing and bench pressing. You don't need to be in the gym forever, a typical gym session could be forty five minutes to an hour. You don't need any longer than that. 

• Get enough sleep. It can be hard sometimes, but try to get enough sleep. When people say "you need rest" regarding exercise, weight lifting etc. they don't mean sit sound and rest, they mean sleep. Get enough sleep. Try to get around seven to eight hours of sleep per night and try to avoid using drugs or something to help you sleep. Try and do it naturally for a better night's rest. Caffeine can play a part too in lack of sleep, so be sure not to consume too much caffeine throughout the day. In a perfect world? Try to only drink water. 

• Do some more exercise on no gym days. When you're not going to the gym to lift, what you could do instead is some cardio work. What I like to do is go to the nearby football oval/field and do some work there. I'll spend half an hour to an hour there and do some stuff like jogging, sprinting and body weight exercises such as push ups, squats, sit ups, star jumps (or jumping jacks) and some other things. Experiment! 

• Give yourself at least one day off a week. Just to keep yourself sane and give you some time to relax, take at least one day off per week and give yourself a lazy day. Yes, I realize I'm contradicting myself because I said "walk every day" but walking, compared to gym work or the cardio stuff I talked about isn't so bad, so let's just say "give yourself one day off a week in regards to intensive exercise". 

• Don't give up. Stay positive and be patient. Gonna repeat it - don't give up, stay positive and be patient. You won't see results over night but if you keep working and pushing forward, you will see the results you want to see and you will not only physically change over time as a stronger and healthier person, but your mind will change too to be more confident, more positive and mentally stronger. 
  • Like 1

One word: Tabata. Tabata is HIIT, with a time interval of 20 seconds maximum intensity work, followed by 10 seconds rest. 8 Rounds, for a total of 4 minutes, is what most people do, but you can lower or raise the amount of rounds to fit your athletic abilities. I would also recommend sticking to bodyweight exercises, because you dont need much resistance to be feeling it by the end of the workout. I do pushups, inverted rows, calf raises, squats, and burpees as Tabata exercises.

Tabata is crazy difficult and taxing.  It's exhausting and can take a lot to recover from.  Make sure if you do this that you're using exercises that you are both comfortable with and profficient at.

Tabata is crazy difficult and taxing.  It's exhausting and can take a lot to recover from.  Make sure if you do this that you're using exercises that you are both comfortable with and profficient at.

Yeah, tabata is one of those 1 or 2 day a week workouts, I used to do a ton before I came here, and now I can be fully recovered from bodyweight tabata workouts the next day, so I jsut do them for fun, and to help raise my lactic acid threshold. I really recommend adding tabata into almost any workout routine at least once a week,

I would like to add that for most lifts, Tabata requires an attentive spotter.  For example, if you are doing bench press, and at the end of a Tabata set you don't feel like you might drop the bar and kill yourself, you probably aren't working hard enough.  Tabata is designed to go all the way to 11.

I would like to add that for most lifts, Tabata requires an attentive spotter.  For example, if you are doing bench press, and at the end of a Tabata set you don't feel like you might drop the bar and kill yourself, you probably aren't working hard enough.  Tabata is designed to go all the way to 11.

Thats why I stick to bodyweight exercises for tabata, I do alot of exercising on my own, since all of my friends are too lazy to do my workouts with me, so I learned how to lift without a spotter. I also dont do much upper body stuff with weights, so I never really need a spotter. But if you do lift, always have a spotter!!! (hooray for being a hypocrite...)

One issue with Tabata for resistance is that it's meant to be done fast. Damn fast. And if you're lifting fast it maximizes force on your muscles which has a lot of potential to be damaging to tendons and muscles. Think catching a 10 pounds from a foot drop versus a 10 foot drop. Now do it over and over, fatiguing your muscles as you go. There's a real danger to it. Tabata is great for sprint work, but I believe it has significant limitations for weight training.

One issue with Tabata for resistance is that it's meant to be done fast. Damn fast. And if you're lifting fast it maximizes force on your muscles which has a lot of potential to be damaging to tendons and muscles. Think catching a 10 pounds from a foot drop versus a 10 foot drop. Now do it over and over, fatiguing your muscles as you go. There's a real danger to it. Tabata is great for sprint work, but I believe it has significant limitations for weight training.

Thats why I said BODYWEIGHT EXERCISES!!! I have never done any sort of lifting for tabata, and I never will. If you want to get stronger, lift. If you want to lose fat, Do HIIT, usually with bodyweight exercises to reduce change of injury to your body. Doing bodyweight exercises for HIIT wont make you weaker. Once I started introducing bodyweight exercises and HIIT into my training, I started dropping fat much faster than I was before, and I experienced faster strength increases. Tabata helps increase Lactic Acid Threshold, which will increase your work capacity, so you can lift the weights you are lifting for a longer amount of time, causing you to progress faster. When Shortgorilla said doing it with bench press, just do it with pushups, or wall pushups, or any kind of pushup you can think of to hit that same muscle group. Instead of rows or curls, do inverted rows, pullups (if possible), chinups, assisted pullups/chinups, or lat pulldowns if you cant do any pullup/chinup variation. Do squats or front squats with a 45 lb bar, lunges, glute ham raises, deadlift (pay extra attention to your form if you want to try this), calf raises, or box jumps onto a small box. It is very easy to to tabata safely, you should just do a few practice rounds at a lower intensity just to get the feel of how to do the workout, isntead of just jumping right into it. Tabata isnt the only form of HIIT, I have just experienced the best results from it. If you want, try other forms of HIIT, but its up to you.

liftingitall, good luck on hitting your weight loss goals :) 

Bodyweight exercises are resistance exercises, you silly duck. And most of the ones you mention just can't be done at a high enough intensity to initiate the kind of metabolic response that is the main reason to do HIIT. That's not saying they're not beneficial... just not done at high enough intensity to initiate systemic metabolic change - which is why HIIT is so effective. The exercises you listed are definitely good for muscle strength and muscle conditioning. Less so for generalized conditioning - which is more effective for fat burning.

And doing any of them at a higher speed is going to increase chance of injury - which may be worth it to a person to meet their goals. But I think there are strategies that are both more effective for fat loss and safer.

Tabata for weight training is a great way to shock your system or to shake things up, but I don't think it's intended to be used consistently or frequently.  And you're right, doing the wrong exercises or doing the right ones poorly can pose a big risk.  For weights it's best to stick to squat, bench, or machines.  Beyond that you're asking for trouble.  I can't imagine trying to safely do a Tabata set on deadlifts or overhead press. 

Tabata for weight training is a great way to shock your system or to shake things up, but I don't think it's intended to be used consistently or frequently.  And you're right, doing the wrong exercises or doing the right ones poorly can pose a big risk.  For weights it's best to stick to squat, bench, or machines.  Beyond that you're asking for trouble.  I can't imagine trying to safely do a Tabata set on deadlifts or overhead press. 

Do you even WOD, bro?

• Like 1