When and what brand of weight belts for women

Hi all! I've been lifting for about a year now and I've got a deadlift of 185. That's my best squat as well (although only on really good days) and a guy that I know keeps pushing me to get a lifting belt. (He is a starting strength coach, so I respect his opinions, but he is still a guy and boys are different and have cooties.) So I was wondering when you ladies decided the time for a belt was neigh and what style or brand you've fallen in love with. Thank you for your input! Also, I looked and didn't see one but if someone already has a thread like this then feel free to just kick my butt over to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warrior, Ravenclaw, book lover, history nerd, Red Sonja wannabe

Current Challenge

Battle Log

belt's are fine. 

They help you brace- they help you move more weight.

they are not a crutch.

I got a harbringer one for women- it's 4" tapered- I regret getting the taper- I wish I had gotten 4" solid all the way around- I use it on my mid section better.  But only you will know that. 

See if you can try some out before you buy- it'll help.   I didn't realize how much I WASN"T properly bracing without the belt.  Now I use the belt for all but my last heavy sets when I am struggling to keep my abs tension ed.

Side note- wear panties- or a pad- first time I belted up and actually pushed out reps on a heavy squat a piddled myself. It happens.   

I have strong abs- so it isn't about weak abs- it was more about lack of awareness on bracing- my abs go first- my chest dips- so I use the belt to brace on those heavy sets- and I pull it out as soon as I get shakey up top and there is a specific type of shakey I can feel when it happens.  Mine was aabout 175/185... now I can do the 185 without it- but 2 months ago I was using it for that. 

Also once you belt up for a set- don't squat without it again that session- even if you go down in weight.    I only can hazard a guess as to why that is... but I was told by a world class professional to do that- so I do it. 

Belt considerations range from materials, fastening, size, and expected usage. 

I started with a moderately priced leather belt, 4", double prong.  The belt lasted about a year until I upgraded to an Inzer.  I use it too often and put too much wear and tear on it to have an inexpensive one.  Fastener is personal choice.  I prefer the safetly of a double prong but it can be tough to get off after a heavy lift (which can be frustrating).  Fastener varies by lifter. 

Do not buy nylon, velcro, etc. 

Is this guy you know actually certified by Rip?  (in other words, what makes him a SS strength coach? Rip certifies very very few people).  If he is, listen to him.  If he isn't, do what you want.   A belt is not a bad idea.  You would put it on at different points in the training.  Eg not for warmups or lifts up to 50-60%.  I actually never put mine on until about 75% and even then it depends on the program. 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Cline, yes, he is my best friend and actually certified by Rip. I know how hard that is to get, but I also know that sometimes it is good to ask a woman or two who have been there just to be safe.

Thanks for all the advice, I don't actually know any women with a belt and other than the (super huge) ones at sports authority I haven't had the opportunity to try any on.

My final question is: how do you know when you're ready for a belt? Is there a weight lifted to body weight ratio? Or is it more subjective? I don't want to buy it if it is too early and I will only be handicapping myself but I also don't want to put off buying one and chance getting hurt

Current Challenge

Battle Log

I think it's pretty subjective. I've been lifting for a couple of years but I don't have one yet. I don't think there's a particular bw/barbell weight ratio. There's another woman on here who's about my size and she lifts a bit more than me, and she wears a belt. The thing is that you don't want to RELY on the belt for everything, which is why cline said she only belts up on her heaviest lifts.

I've been thinking about getting one also, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Cline, yes, he is my best friend and actually certified by Rip. I know how hard that is to get, but I also know that sometimes it is good to ask a woman or two who have been there just to be safe.

Thanks for all the advice, I don't actually know any women with a belt and other than the (super huge) ones at sports authority I haven't had the opportunity to try any on.

My final question is: how do you know when you're ready for a belt? Is there a weight lifted to body weight ratio? Or is it more subjective? I don't want to buy it if it is too early and I will only be handicapping myself but I also don't want to put off buying one and chance getting hurt

To have a certified SS trainer giving you advice is GOLDEN!  Rip (and all of his coaches) coach men and women the same way.  Precisely the same way.  So unless your friend is a jerk (which doesn't sound like it at all!!!), he's going to give you very good advice.  Trust it.  Honestly, women do not lift differently than men.  With your friend, you'll get solid lifting advice.

A nice starting belt might be an Ader (on Amazon).  It's what I started with and I recently just gave it to a woman at my gym b/c it has some life left in it but it wasn't going to hold up to my usage.  It's affordable.

Considerations - measure yourself.  Belt must be TIGHT (tighter than you think).  Decide on fastener.  If you are new to belts, just go for one and figure it out as you move along.  You want leather.  Titan also makes great belts.  I bought one from them but I didn't like it for me.  Gave it to the spousal unit.  You probably want 4".  Don't buy tapered - that defeats some of the purpose.  ALSO if you are going to compete ever, know your equipment rules.

I didn't use a belt on deadlifts until I was around 240-250 on my pulls.  I only bought one b/c my coach told me to buy one.  Squats were over 200# at that point.  I don't know that there is a rule. 

You probably will never be anywhere that sells belts for you to try on.  Just buy one and live with it for a while.  Like I said, the Ader was great and it's affordable.  Titan also has one that runs about $25. 

They soften up over time.  They are not comfortable.  Putting one on properly is a freaking chore and can be really hard sometimes.  Getting it off after a lift can also be a real pain.

Belts, if properly used, will help you lift a bit more by properly breathing and setting your midsection.  Most people do not know what they are doing with belts or how to use them.  I respect this woman a lot: 

there might be another vid out there.  She also did one with her husband on how to use a belt but I can't find it.  I had instruction from my coach on how to use it and when.

You do not use a belt for all your lifts generally.  I do not wear mine to warm up or until I reach a certain % of my max.  And even then, I don't always use it.  Last night I was doing sets somewhere between 70-80% and b/c they were short sets, I didn't use the belt.  I also usually remove the belt for drop sets. 

There is a "culture" out there (of largely misinformed internet readers) that belts are "cheating", less "pure", for people who can't really lift, etc.  All top (and all tier) powerlifters use belts.  There is no added "glory" in not using a belt. 

So.... if you have someone looking at your lifts and this person is certified by Rip and you are getting this amazing advice.... buy the damn belt!!! 

Also, buy some damn shoes if you haven't already.  :-)

I think you'll be really amazed.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Cline, yeah I am really lucky. 8 years of friendship means free coaching :) I also know that he has never recommended that a woman get a belt before and one of the things he likes most about me is that I research the hell out of everything. I've read articles and the like, but I wanted real women's advice on why they started using belts when they did to confirm that it was the right time for me. Can't be too safe!

Also, as for your recommendation for a 4 inch belt. I'm 5'6 with a comparatively short torso and long legs. My friend suggested starting with a 3 inch one prong belt because my torso is shorter and then it won't get in the way of my hip joints. Does that sound logical to you? It does to me but again, knowledge is power! He also recommends "best belts" website. He has one from there and it is good quality. I do know to only wear it for heavy, but I'm glad Jo mentioned using it for all sets once you're done. I have also read about the proper way to breathe with a belt on. However I am not having great luck finding an article about when you know that it's time for a belt and that's my biggest concern. Le sigh, nerd problems, can't make a decision without researching it first

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Edited with full answer:

okay, take a breath.  It's a belt.  You have a knowledgable friend.  It's just a belt.  Contrary to the NF viewpoint, you do not need to research the hell out of everything.  People have been lifting without the internet for eons.... listen to your friend.  Just buy a belt.

Things to ask yourself:  1) how serious am I about lifting?  2) how often do I lift?  3) am I likely to move on to something else soon?  I bought my belt when I moved into powerlifting as my main focus and my coach told me to buy a belt.  I might squat as many as 4 times in a week.  I use my belt a lot.  If you are lifting 1x week, if you are just lifting versus training, if you are somebody who does something for a year or so until the next cool workout comes along, hold off on buying a belt.  That's all you really need to think about.  It's a belt, not a lifetime commitment to a person .... just a belt.

Best belts is a great source for belts.  Not the only source, Titan, Inzer, etc. are all great.  You will find people are ridiculously passionate about whatever brand they have.  There is no "best" belt.  Get a good brand if you want to spend the money.  If you are on the fence, get the Ader.  It's a nice, very respectable belt and about half the cost of others and ships from Amazon!  Huzzah.  LOL.   If anyone tries to tell you one brand is better, stop listenting. 

Single prong doesn't matter with respect to your size.  It's about how you like the belt to open and close and how secure you like to feel.  I hated single prong (see below - I'm short waisted).  I thought I would love it b/c it's so much easier to get off after a heavy lift.  But I hated it.  I love double prong but it's a pain in the ass.  But I wouldn't lift with anything else.  Some people love the levers.  I don't like them.  It's personal preference.  If anyone tries to tell you differently, stop listening. 

I have a short distance between my ribs and hips.  I am approximately 5'8" but I'm very short wasited.  You should consider a 4" belt because you want it high enough to hit the abdominals.  If you wear it properly, I don't see how it could interfere with your hip joints.  It's worn around your waist, not on your hips.  Sorry - I'm having a lot of trouble visualizing how it would interfere with hips.  You wear it up on the waist, not at the top of your hips. 

You do not have to finish sets with your belt on.  I do many a drop set in squats or deads without a belt and have yet to die or lose all my gains.  If your form goes to shit in drop sets, you have other issues and it's not the belt/lack of belt.

The breathing is the same regardless of belt use.  Nothing changes.  If you don't have that down now, work on it. 

I AM going the distance

Cline, thank you for telling me to stop being an obsessive nerd, I don't hear that often enough. Truth is, I squat 2-3 times a week and would like to see something competitive in my future for powerlifting. Not a super competitive person but I think it would be an interesting experience and I know that I really should start working with a belt. I'm not ridiculously obsessive about it, but I tend to be very loyal once I get interested in something so I don't imagine this is something that I will get bored with. I really extremely appreciate the honest advice from you and the other ladies who chimed in and I think I might get brave this weekend and just order

My belt!

Current Challenge

Battle Log

DO IT!!!!!!!

AND keep lifting! !!!!!!!

I AM going the distance

I think the belting up and not taking it off has to do with bracing and abs and what not- but Shrug- I didn't do the research on it- I was taking advice from world class lifters and took them at their word. I know the guys at my gym once they typically belt up and then don't unbelt.  

I don't' know- Like I said I can only  hazard a guess- while I can't imagine there being any huge downside- and it being the ONLY way to do it.  But I can see the logic in it-  only you the user can find out what works best for you. 

As for breathing- I found the belt helped me really get consistent with it.  I wouldn't say it's different but I now do it better.l  There is no question- I got all the way  up to body weight plus without  a belt- but once I started using a belt- my bracing and how to manipulate breath with that became a set thing.  

Now I don't do anything different - between belt and none belt- but I know the way I was breathing before- wasn't bad- but it wasn't the most efficient- holding your breath for a rep isn't' the same as taking a breath and bracing.  A belt really sorted that out for me.   So cline's right- it's not different- but you may learn you change how you do it so it is uniform. 

Good luck!!!

oh- and make sure you empty your bladder- and wear good underwear- the first time I did a really heavy squat with a belt I piddled myself. It happens- totally normal- but just something to be aware of so it doesn't surprise you.  If you wind up competing- bring your piose pads.