chia seeds

Has anyone heard of Chia Seeds? my mother raves about them after talking to a nutritionist.

http://www.superseeds.ca/ss1/index.html

3x the antioxidants of blue berries

2.5 x the protein of beans

8 x the omegas than salmon

6 x the calcium than of a glass of milk

3 x the amount of iron in spinach

2x potassium in bananas

this is amazing! just wanted to know if members have any feedback. My parents bought some from Bulk n Barn, and have been sprinkling it in yogurt since. I tried it, has absolutely no flavor, but with this kind of nutritional benefits, i'm going to make it a regular addition to my diet

sounds like the next 'acai berry'

When it says 2x the whatever, is that compared per serving, or ounce? cuz I bet a pound of those berries is a lot more than 2x the cost of a pound of bananas.

In general, I'm leery of any one thing that has that many claims attached to it, as well as anything that implies it doesn't matter what else you eat/do, it by itself helps.

Level 5 Human Ranger

Stats as of July 25:   STR: 9.5   DEX: 5.75   STA: 7.5   CON: 15.25   WIS: 6   CHA: 8.5

Achievements:

Tough Mudder CO 2012 (4hrs)

Got below 200lbs

NF Challenge #4 Winner

Current Challenge

Past 1 2 3

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

RunKeeper

My husband bought some once.

DO NOT PUT THEM IN YOUR COFFEE GRINDER. Yeah, learned that the hard way. The seeds have quite a bit of oil, and they totally gum up a coffee grinder.

What's freaky is if you put them in a bit of water. It turns the water into a gel and the seeds get all suspended in it. Try it!

LVL 2 Ranger: STR:4 CON:4 STA:3 DEX:2 WIS:4 CHA:3

Has anyone heard of Chia Seeds? my mother raves about them after talking to a nutritionist.

http://www.superseeds.ca/ss1/index.html

3x the antioxidants of blue berries

2.5 x the protein of beans

8 x the omegas than salmon

6 x the calcium than of a glass of milk

3 x the amount of iron in spinach

2x potassium in bananas

this is amazing! just wanted to know if members have any feedback. My parents bought some from Bulk n Barn, and have been sprinkling it in yogurt since. I tried it, has absolutely no flavor, but with this kind of nutritional benefits, i'm going to make it a regular addition to my diet

Those numbers seem about right. They would appear to be per serving. A serving of chia seeds is usually considered 1 tablespoon. I eat some every day as well, but be careful - they are high in calories! (way higher than you would think just looking at the little things) The main benefit is that they are one of the few naturally occurring, non-dairy sources of calcium. I'm not a vegan (or even a vegetarian for that matter) but I attempt to limit my dairy intake, so they help me get lots of calcium.

Yes, chia seeds are INSANELY good for you! But yes, they have about 70 calories per 2 tablespoons, so be aware of that. You get the full benefit by letting them soak overnight...the coating on the seed does turn the water to gel. There's alot of raw vegan recipes calling for soaking chia seeds to make jellies and puddings and such.

I soak a tablespoon or 2 overnight in a few ounces of water and then spoon it into my smoothies in the morning. If you read "Born to Run" the author talks about the Tarahumara native American tribe making a drink called iskiate, AKA chia fresca, which functions as a natural energy drink. It's made with chia, fresh lime juice, water, and unrefined sugar or agave nectar or honey. Tastes like limeade. You can find recipes with a quick google search of "iskiate." :D