Training for my first half marathon

Knocked out 3 runs this week.  The first couple where short and today's was 9ish miles.  I was aiming for another 12.  My feet and shins hurt due to my inserts dying.  I called it a day vs risking pf and other issues.  Tomorrow a new pair will take care of that.  Otherwise my legs felt strong so I will take that as a win.  I am not feeling overly tired or sore otherwise.  All thanks to embracing the slow!  Been fighting some bug all week.  Felt okay on the run but since taking a shower and doing some house work I am feeling much worse for wear so to speak.  

Could not help but think of old things gone by like my mom.  We were not close and from my husbands genealogy work a couple years ago we found out she had passed.  No one called and I was not even part of the obit.  Anyway when running I think and feel alone.  That is not a bad thing.  In fact it can feel good going alone ticking off the miles.  I wonder about joining running groups for the companionship, extra push/motivation, learning opportunity, and a chance to help someone that is even newer to running than myself (or be helped by them).  I am hesitant to give up that time being alone but groups do have their advantages.

I did try to focus on practicing reminding myself that when I run the half marathon I am focusing on running my own race.  It is so hard not to try to keep pace with other runners as they go by and stress that I am doing this too slow.  Nope.  Just run my own race....just kept saying it to myself.  I am not them and still growing in running.  My best bet is my own race if I want to complete it.

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Great job!!!

Although why did you not go for another 1.1 & call it a HM? I mean, you were right there!!!

:D

LOL  I briefly considered it then my feet said no way!  My insoles broke toward the end of the run and I paid for it on my most recent long run.  Last night I happily went to the store and had another set made and I am rearing to go.  

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

That is pretty much what I have been doing it appears.  Funny how it felt so hard the first time I ran 4 or 5 or 6 and a few times afterwards.  However I go past them without even stressing.  Adding that one mile a week has worked so far!  Granted when I reach that peak mile from the week before seems hard but it still is not unbearable when I realize I have one more to go.  That final mile is always the hardest.  It should be more challenging physically but I think for me there is a pretty strong mental component to it.  I am my own worst enemy at times.  Running 6 is still not easy for me but knowing I have to run so much farther makes it not feel so hard or I do not perceive it to be so hard...plus I know physically my body is adapting and getting stronger.  Loving the process and learning so much.  I look forward to the time when I say "hey family I am heading out for only 12..15..20 miles" knowing I can do oh so many more.

The half is not my end all be all and that does sound like an interesting challenge to continue to add a little distance each week barring any physical set backs.

Okay I am one that may not do what I said in the first bit and keep adding a mile or slow down to adding 1/2 a mile a week just because....

• Like 1

Maybe I'm weird, but the last half of my run is easier for me than the first. In the first I'm stressing out about keeping my pace low enough to save energy, not kicking peoples rat-dogs, did I remember to lock the truck, and a thousand other things. Around mile 5 or 6 I just space out and my pace actually gets quicker, I think last week my first 5 miles were around a 12:30 and my last was a 10:40.   

• Like 1

Level 6 - Scout

Challenges - Lost Diary of a Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

Maybe I'm weird, but the last half of my run is easier for me than the first. In the first I'm stressing out about keeping my pace low enough to save energy, not kicking peoples rat-dogs, did I remember to lock the truck, and a thousand other things. Around mile 5 or 6 I just space out and my pace actually gets quicker, I think last week my first 5 miles were around a 12:30 and my last was a 10:40.   

I find that too.  After a certain point I just find myself settling into the run... everything feels like it's working smoothly and efficiently... not only warmed up, but properly up and running.

It's as if we start the run with a full bar of energy and it starts to drop quickly.  Fairly soon, the energy bar starts to refill itself, but it's still going down, but more and more slowly.  Then a point is reached when it's more or less in equilibrium and the energy bar is more or less stable, or dropping only very slowly as energy spent is about the same as energy regenerated.  That's a nice place to be.

Quick update on my own progress.... missed a PB over 5k by about four seconds on Saturday, then took almost a minute off my PB over 10k at a race on Sunday.  First half marathon is a week on Sunday.... taking it easy until then...

• Like 1

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

Quick update on my own progress.... missed a PB over 5k by about four seconds on Saturday, then took almost a minute off my PB over 10k at a race on Sunday.  First half marathon is a week on Sunday.... taking it easy until then...

Wahoo!  Good luck on the half! I've got a 10m in two weeks and a half in 4 after that. 

Level 6 - Scout

Challenges - Lost Diary of a Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

I get so annoyed when I have to stop.  That is why I do most of my long runs on a trail.  

Yeah I am weird.   :highly_amused:   Give me time it will come out more and more.  

The hardest part is getting out the door.  I am excited to head out, looking forward to it in fact.  Then the couple minutes before getting out the door saying bye to everyone I get that angst.  Will I or won't I be able to do this?  What if's abound.  Get out the door and hurdle one is down.  Okay put on my sunglasses and start moving.  I settle in instantly and find that happy place.  First mile I have that sensation of everything falling into place.  My body is moving smoothly through the air and I adjust my modest pace to ensure I can complete the distance.  It is all good from there until the last two miles.  I feel satisfied to hit what I did the week before with building anxiety about getting through the last.  I know I can do it but I worry over how slow it goes, how long I have been gone, and will it get better.  Honestly nothing I need to stress over.  I get it done when I get it done.  My time will improve with effort/training and my family does not ever expects me at any specific time.  They are totally supportive and know it takes me time.  Again all in my head.  If only I could figure out how to get out of my own head and just go.  

• Like 1

Today's run was awful.  Terrible is an understatement.  I ended with 8 miles walking a fair amount.  Not every run can be good I guess.  Not in it mentally.  Walked away wondering if I will be able to knock out the half and thinking it will be terrible.  So in one fail swoop I went from feeling confident and now not so much.  I focused on the fact I am not doing the distances during the week I wanted or the frequency.  Forget the fact I have lost 20 pounds or that my legs are looking killer (love my calves) or that most of the time I found I am mentally tougher and determined than I believed I was or the fact I am so much stronger and have improved my endurance greatly.  I need to work on time management and get out of my head.  Just shut up and do it right?  Better yet I need to look at my day to day and figure out the best way to handle it.  Plus when working on routes I still have a huge mental block when I have to work on a route longer than 8-10 miles.  I know I can do them and have but for some dumb reason I can not wrap my head around the fact I can do these.  Shoot I dream of doing more someday.  I often stress during a run about how long it takes me and feelings of guilt at being away from my family for so long.  They are always supportive so again it is just me.  Oh well not every run can be great or fun.  Just never got into it like I normally do.  Hey I have one more weekend before the hm (13 days).  Plenty of time to get it together, I hope.

Very true.  It is a guaranteed PR even if I have to walk, roll, or crawl across the finish I will make it.  I am certain I will be on my feet so I am nervously getting excited.  Everyone keeps mentioning the excitement of the day and how it will carry me and so on but I am having a hard time grasping that idea.  Either way it gives me a starting point to work from so it is all good right?

I will do it, I can do it, and it will be fun is my mantra at the moment.  I keep trying to think of how awesome it will feel to finish and then enjoy the accomplishment with my family.

I might be able to sneak in a mid range run on Wednesday after getting off work early which will help build more confidence.  

• Like 1

Today's run was awful.  Terrible is an understatement.  I ended with 8 miles walking a fair amount.  Not every run can be good I guess.  Not in it mentally.  Walked away wondering if I will be able to knock out the half and thinking it will be terrible.  So in one fail swoop I went from feeling confident and now not so much.  I focused on the fact I am not doing the distances during the week I wanted or the frequency.  Forget the fact I have lost 20 pounds or that my legs are looking killer (love my calves) or that most of the time I found I am mentally tougher and determined than I believed I was or the fact I am so much stronger and have improved my endurance greatly.  I need to work on time management and get out of my head.  Just shut up and do it right?  Better yet I need to look at my day to day and figure out the best way to handle it.  Plus when working on routes I still have a huge mental block when I have to work on a route longer than 8-10 miles.  I know I can do them and have but for some dumb reason I can not wrap my head around the fact I can do these.  Shoot I dream of doing more someday.  I often stress during a run about how long it takes me and feelings of guilt at being away from my family for so long.  They are always supportive so again it is just me.  Oh well not every run can be great or fun.  Just never got into it like I normally do.  Hey I have one more weekend before the hm (13 days).  Plenty of time to get it together, I hope.

I can empathise.  I had a poor one yesterday and cut it short - partly feeling uncomfortable, and partly worrying about the park's new earlier closing time. I've been tapering in advance of the HM on Sunday, and I'm not finding it easy.  I've just got to have faith that I'll have the fuel in the tank for when I need it.  I've done the training, it ought to be there.  One more run before the big day.  Fretting is pointless.... all I can do is have one more run, eat sensibly, get a lot of good sleep over the next few nights, and then do my best on the day.  It'll be fine.  It'll be fine for all of us HM first timers if we've trained right, and if we don't get carried away in the first few miles.

• Like 2

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

I can empathise.  I had a poor one yesterday and cut it short - partly feeling uncomfortable, and partly worrying about the park's new earlier closing time. I've been tapering in advance of the HM on Sunday, and I'm not finding it easy.  I've just got to have faith that I'll have the fuel in the tank for when I need it.  I've done the training, it ought to be there.  One more run before the big day.  Fretting is pointless.... all I can do is have one more run, eat sensibly, get a lot of good sleep over the next few nights, and then do my best on the day.  It'll be fine.  It'll be fine for all of us HM first timers if we've trained right, and if we don't get carried away in the first few miles.

I am excited for you and am looking forward to hearing about it!  You are right in fretting is pointless.  I will be thinking of you on Sunday!

I am getting out of worry mode here, really trying to shift my thinking, and working on just focusing on getting it done.  Saw today that the route was changed and I ride the hills we will have to run.  I am very familiar with over half the course.  There are killer hills but more than once I had wished I was running up them instead of using my bike.  Strange I know.  Two hills will be a fast walk.  I am looking at the rest of the course this weekend.  I know the course as a whole but part I do not ride and have only seen a couple times.  I will work on a tentative game plan knowing things can change based on the day.  Other than that I am just focusing on doing it and appreciating that this first one is local and I know the course.  I do believe my training could have been better all I can do is learn from it.  

My husband asked me today what was the worst that would happen.  I would fail?  I would be embarrassed maybe?  I would loath the fact I failed at something I have put forth so much effort and do it publicly?  After all it is easier to fail when you did not try then to try and still fail.  He asked if I would stop running.  I paused with that are you kidding me look and said I could not imagine not running.  Well that was a duh moment for me.  Looking forward to this starting point and seeing what I can do from there.  Shoot I thought I had conquered the world at my first 4 mile run and now I am going to do 13.1.  Nice.

• Like 2

Ran yesterday and finally relaxed.  I realized I can do it and as everyone keeps saying, look at it in small chunks.  All I need to do is run from water station to water station.  They are about 1.5 miles apart.  I can do that and feel good about it.  Looking forward to a run this evening.

Okay I just saw that someone posted to my first scouts challenge thread and thought it was awesome and wanted to post it here.  

Thanks to driscool for posting it!  From driscool:

Oh and I loved this comic from Magnhild's challenge threadaBQwwqx_700b_v1.jpg

• Like 1

LOL.  It is Oct. 4.  

Oooo Perseverance  is nice.  Have to memorize and practice it during the tougher parts of a long run.  Too true that 13.1 isn't half of anything.

I am excited that as of this Saturday I can go ahead and pick up my race packet.  I may grab it early because I am sooooooo excited that I get to "pick up a race packet".  Such cool words to utter.  

Okay here is a poem that I love to recite when I run sometimes.  Yes I recite poetry to myself sometimes during a run.  Struggling with a mile or two then keep your mind busy trying to recall a poem you have not recited in a long time and keep working on it until you can remember it or finally call it quits on the poem.  Before you know it those miles have ticked on by.   I know the views on what this poem is about but I really enjoy it.

KEEPING THINGS WHOLE

by Mark Strand

In a field
I am the absence
of field.
This is
always the case.
Wherever I am
I am what is missing.

When I walk
I part the air
and always
the air moves in
to fill the spaces
where my body's been.

We all have reasons
for moving.
I move
to keep things whole.

Well today is my last longish run followed by a couple short runs this week and then the hm.  It looks like there is only 20% chance of rain and in the 60's.  That is awesome if it holds by next Saturday.  I get to pick up my race packet today.....sooooo excited!

I am going to relax and run today then at the end see what my pace was so I have an even better idea of what I will most likely do next week.  Yet there is that self doubt in the back of my mind saying I may not finish.  Either way I have learned a lot and also realized just how much more there is to learn!

After this I want to keep a weekly long run and work on adding a 3rd weekday run.  Additionally I would like one of those runs to be 5 miles and some work for speed/strength (HIIT and hills).  It is also appealing to continue to add distance to the long runs.  So looking at all I want to do it feels scattered and not focused.  One piece at a time I think is best.  I really want to avoid any injuries.  Suggestions on how to go about any of this is definitely appreciated!

So excited for you. It gets real once you pick up the race packet, doesn't it?

As for your various goals, you should definitely focus on one at a time. Speed is the hardest thing to improve safely, but hills are good for adding strength without injury, especially if you run up and walk down. The other things are a matter of preference, I am think. You'd be pretty safe to add whichever one appeals to you most.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Oct 4 seems like it is tomorrow.  Wish it was so I could get this first one done.  LOL  Main goal along with finishing is simply to enjoy the experience.  I volunteered at one in the Spring and had fun with the runners.  I was at the finish and let me tell you there were loads of people wanting hugs.  It was awesome.  I had fun handing out the covetted banana's and congratulting everyone.  I stayed to the very last group cheering them on as they approached the finish since others left.  It was someone that had very obvious physical challenged and they still made it the entire half.  Again that was even more awesome.

I was running close to home yesterday and good thing.  I only made it 4 miles before I had to run home.  We experimented and tried a couple new breakfast recipes and well I will not be eating them before a run anytime soon.  My stomach was not happy for a long while.  I was afraid to head back out.  Each time I considered it my tummy gurgled.  I am going to run another 4-5 today then back off.  Hoping the back to back runs, something I am not used to doing for more than 2-3 miles at best, will help make up for not doing the mileage I wanted yesterday.  I know it is not as good but I just do not have time today.  My husband's birthday is today and we are having friends and family over.  Cooking like mad for him most the day when I get back.  

So the hm is next Sunday? Are you tapering? Whatever you do, don't push yourself this week. Lots of sleep, lots of liquids.

Level 1 Norse-Gael Minotaur driscool of the Valley of the Arroyomalhuele, otherwise Paradise Keep, otherwise the House of the Clan Huracan. 

me or the future: who blinks first?

STR 4 | STA 4  | CON 3 | WIS 3 | DEX 1

Yes the hm is next Saturday.  I am taking it easy the rest of the week.  A couple short runs (2 miles) and will back off my bike by riding more dirct routes and not the extended routes I had been saving me 4 miles a day.  No bike riding on Friday.  It all is so confusing.  Some say you need to taper for a hm with the amount of time and to what degree varying.  Others say you really do not need to taper.  I have no clue which way to go.  I am not racing it and at this point aiming to finish it smiling and having had a good time.  I would love to race it next time and I will.  My training certainly did not go as planned.  Learned a few things about managing my time better, making sure I stretch in the evening more than 4 times a week, and what I can and cannot eat.  I want to improve my nutrition as a whole and I know that will help with my running.  I did run 4 miles today.  About 1/4 of each mile was uphill.  I walked the uphill mostly (ran a little of it too) and had the best 4 miles I have ever had.  Legs feel pretty good I must say.  Thought of doing more but other responsibilities called and needing to make sure I do not over do it helped me make the smart decidion.  ;)