Any ADDers out there care to comment?

(This text has been heavily edited because it got to be very, vey long. For full rambling, check out my blog.)

So on top of alcoholism - which god knows is hard enough to deal with - I found out I got ADD.

(FYI I've been sober these past ten months.)

(I just re-read that sentence and I sound like a catch indeed... *sigh*)

I didn't go get myself evaluated by a professional yet, but it's clear enough. A friend of mine who is a teacher and deals with these stuff recognized a couple of symptoms and suggested it almost like a joke. I added that to the academic struggles I've been having, and when I started reading about the subject, it was instant recognition, down to the fact that I wear a water-proof wristwatch to the shower so I don't lose track of time.

Since I've been forced to rethink my intellectual self-image...

... I've been more and more grateful I found physical activity in my life.

When I get into the swimming pool and try to control the gesture of my arm so my crawl is more efficient, when I worry about the form of my squats and posture of my back for the planks and push ups, when I consider the stance of my deadlift... all this things, they don't know ADD. I block the whole world out and look at the bar and think "now how do it move this thing with optimal eficiency?" I focus on envisioning the exercise so I can do it well, I focus on my breathing pattern so the exercise is right, I focus on my core so my injured back will be safe.

Fuck distractability! Nobody is distracted under a loaded bar!

I started this a compensation strategy. It doesn’t have to be so. It can be a great achievement in my life. I never learned Latin though I solved Latin exercise lists for five years straight. But I can squat, yo.

"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - W. Faulkner

My relatively mild cases of ADD and depression were treated with Welbutrin until a few months ago when I just went off cold turkey and ensured that I was getting lots of exercise (I had always felt that exercise helped me with both) and I haven't looked back since.

• Like 1

Challenge Logs: Current Challenge 3 2 1 Battlelog

Origin of Name:

FN: Julian -> Jules -> Family Jewels -> Family

LN: Rickards = Canadian brand of Beer -> Beer

Call me "FamilyBeer" (or just Jules)

Hey, I wear a watch in the shower too. I thought I was the only one.

Exercise helps keep the ADD at bay, but I also take Straterra. I went with that because I was worried about addiction issues.

I wish I could block the world out like you do; it's not unusual for me to wander off in the middle of working out and have to finish later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Hey, I wear a watch in the shower too. I thought I was the only one.

Exercise helps keep the ADD at bay, but I also take Straterra. I went with that because I was worried about addiction issues.

I wish I could block the world out like you do; it's not unusual for me to wander off in the middle of working out and have to finish later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I thought I was the only one too, I mean, who wears a watch to shower, right? Turns out it's a lot more common than we imagined! :)

I love it when I find I'm not the only one doing certain things.

Regarding drugs, I have a lot to do and think about before I start thinking about medication. But I had to overcome addiction twice (first I gave up smoking and then, year and a half later, had to give up drinking as well), and it was an absolute bitch, it was ugly, so I totally get looking for help to stay out of the addiction mess and/or to get over it...

I can totally block out the world, thankfully for that's how I work (I'm a proofreader, of all jobs), but that's also how I have problems hearing people or going from one task to the next...

"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - W. Faulkner

I can really relate to the forgetting being busy with a workout.

I'm not too bad some days, but have days where I do not complete a single thing, for no reason.

Basic admin is hell. I spend more time looking for pens than actually working.

I've tried medication, worked wonderfully, but left me with a headache. One day when I've got money I would like to go that way again under the supervision of a doctor.

• Like 1

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

i have  managed to make herbal tea blends that work but in morning i always feel like im running behind so i forget to make them

• Like 1

lvl 1Half Orc Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | CON: 4 | STA: 1 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We are Rangers.

We walk in the dark places no others will enter.

We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

First Challenge

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17992-Shagy-s-Pull-head-out-of-_______