Magic Math Numbers - Open to all

When building new routines ladders and triangles/pyramids are often suggested to keep things interesting and push ourselves to do just a little more. As we are all nerdy here, why not make those even more interesting?

pascals-triangle-4.gif

That looks like a triangle to me. It even has a built-in ladder with each row. This is Pascal's triangle; my original idea was to work on any exercise in increments of those reps and see how far I could get. I am sure that would get boring, starting with 1-1-1-1-2-1-1 each day, once I could easily get to larger rows of the triangle. Backwards from the level larger than my PR would be an option, or one could switch to the sums of each level - all the wonderful 2^x numbers anyone in CS knows with fondness.

Yet an even more interesting sequence appears from that, the golden ratio of spirals seen everywhere, the Fibonacci Sequence.

360px-PascalTriangleFibanacci.svg.png

(diagonal summations)

I thought about this idea some more, and perhaps as a pvp there needs to be more options. I know pi to 35 digits by making just more than I knew digits my school login and e-mail password then slowly expanding it. Why would doing sets of reps not help others that want to become automatons of recitation when pie or pi is mentioned in conversation?

full_thumbnail.jpg

That obviously leads us to Tau, or as I like to call it "one pi" (because the symbol has one leg, and it is one whole "pie" as compared to needing two pi to make one pie.)

418524-tau.jpg

(I do not know what the bpm at the bottom is, but I did not deign to download, crop, and upload, I have ideas to form into a pvp!)

Other ideas for sequences or series are welcome. (The speed of light has been measured to a high degree of accuracy I believe.)

The challenge I propose is to pick an exercise, any, and a number series or sequence that suits your fancy (or ability with that exercise). Then do it as far through the sequence/series that you can, and post your numbers (exercise, sequence/series, and max).

We will compete against ourselves foremost (mostly due to the number of possible variations for exercise and number) but copying the combinations others use to compete directly is what will make this exciting.

(This is set to run through the end of the next challenge (Jul-Sep), I am effectively posting this early while allowing it to be started early.)

• Like 1

Species: Elven Vampire

Class: Assassin

Magic Numbers pvp

Heroes vs Villains 

Sounds interesting, I'd like to learn pi, just have to figure out what to do for it

It takes until 3.14159265358979 the 12th digit before hitting a section of high numbers, so something you can do around 6 of in a typical set but can push higher would be good. For me that exercise is push-ups.

I am considering the following goals for the next challenge:

Negative Chin-ups on Pascal triangle through the 1-4-6-4-1 row

Push-ups through what I know of Tau (to " . . . 900 . . . " the last zero being the 33rd digit.

Squats the 128 row, without the triangle. (So a set of 1-7-21-35-35-21-7-1) I may go to the next row.

Hollow hold would probably be best as Fibonacci, as I tend to manage 16-18 seconds at a time.

Magic Numbers pvp

Heroes vs Villains 

It sounds interesting to me, but I should find a serial number which fits with a running plan, so I'll see.

Are you doing run/walk intervals via lampposts? That would work for pascal's triangle (Row 1 would be run one, walk one, then row 3 would be run 1, walk 1, run3, walk (1 or 3), run 3, walk (1 or 3), run one.) Or, you could the triangle with each box being the number of miles/kilometers a day - the sides would be easy days/weekends, and the top slowly gaining stamina. Lampposts as above with time in minutes determined by Fibonacci or the sum of the rows? 

Magic Numbers pvp

Heroes vs Villains 

I was looking at it (a bit obsessively), and Pascal's triangle has some other variations that can be used.

The second diagonal row has all the natural numbers (1, 2, 3, 4, ...), but diagonal rows 3 through 5 have usable sequences as well, either using reps or seconds and they could be used as is, or like a standard pyramid, where you go as far as you can, and then go in reverse back to the to the start.

You can ignore all the 1's , or ignore one of the diagonal lines of 1's, and run through it all in order or pick one row to do like that. That would eliminate a bunch of 1's if they were unnecessary.

Having specific rest times is more accurate for comparing so I'll use Pascal's triangle to determine my rest also(in seconds). I may use the number just finished, or the sum of the numbers below it, or use the row sum as my rest when I finish a row and use the number just finished for the others.

PascalTriangle3.jpg

• Like 1

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

Oh, I just stumbled on this and really like it! No idea how I managed to miss it before.

Are you going to keep it going into the next challenge?

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I may just play around with the various ladders on my own.

It's a really neat idea and it would make a fun PVP, but we've both got PVPs going for next time. If it got rerun, I might just have to try it out though. :)

Maybe one of the weeks on the Heroes and Villains could use one of the ladders for fun.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir