5/3/1_2.1.2

Goal: 5/3/1 bench press, upper body and core glycogen depletion.

Warmup: 6 min elliptical, raised hr to 160 bpm.

Bench press: 45# 10, 65# 10, 95# 5, 115# 5, 130# 5, 150# 5, 170# 9 (no spotter), 135# 11

Superset 1:

Chinup: 0 (-1, 1, 1)

Dips: 1, 1, 1

Superset 2:

Snatch grip deadlift: 135# 5, 185# 5

Pendlay rows: 135# 5, 185# 3, 135# 5, 5, 5

Wide stance pushup: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10

Superset 3:

Woodchoppers: 72# 10, 10, 10 each side

Cable crunch: 96# 10, 10, 10

Superset 4:

Incline curl: 25# each arm 8, 8, 8

Incline Arnold press: same 12, 8, 8

Facepulls: 72# 10, 10, 10

Superset 5:

Kroc row: 55# each arm 12, 12, 12

Plank: 30 breaths (~45-60 s)

DB plate press: 2x25# 12, 12, 12

Cooldown: 15 min. Eliptical, hr 130-140 bpm

Chins and dips did not cooperate with me today. My lats were fried (in a good way) from Sunday, as was the rest of my back circuit. All those cleans and deadlifts.

I really, really, really wanted to do snatch grip deadlifts (really), but as I mentioned my back.circuit was toast. I had to lighten up on rows too. I did 50 pushups though, easily.

I needed to hit my upper and side core, so I gave my upper body a break and did cable crumches and woodchoppers.

For the inclined DB work, I did the Ahhnuld presses and curls separate. But, after the first time through i combined the movements, just cuz it kinda made sense, curl, then press. It wound up making the presses harder but the curls easier... Meh...

Kroc rows... YES! Wishing I'd gone heavier though. Plank felt good. First time doing plate presses. I need to press the dumbells together harder i think.

F*** me... I forgot to do around the worlds. Those would have been great to add to the core circuit.

• Like 1

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

5/3/1_2.1.3

Goal: Deadlift

Warmup: 5 min elliptical

It's getting really hard to get my heart rate above 85%

Deadlift: 205# 5, 240# 5, 270# 8

Barbell drag curls: 45# 2x8

Cooldown: 15 elliptical

And it's getting harder to maintain a minimum of 130 bpm.

I wanted to so ghr and leg raises too, but they are re doing the floors in the room with the equipment I need. Deadlifts plus curls wasn't a bad workout.

Next week I'm gonna scale back a bit. I'm proud of my two glycogen depletion workouts, but all of that is just too much. I'll keep the crazy one on Sunday, but Monday morning will just be a simple bench workout with some brief assistance work, much like today was. On weekdays,i have too much shit to do and need to save some energy.

• Like 2

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

Dude, it's hard to do anything when depleted.

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

Dude, it's hard to do anything when depleted.

True. But, what i need here is to get depleted as quickly as possible so I can recover as soon as possible.

I think I achieved about 80-90% of the level of depletion that I needed on Sunday, unfortunately, most of that was by over depleting my lower body. I was too tired to drag myself to the gym early on Monday. So I over depleted my lower half, and needed more time to recover. That is, my body wants to sleep, sleep, sleep. This pushed back my next workout, and I went and overdepleted the top half of my body.

Awesome workout though.

Anyway...

Right now, I'm already doing C&P on squat day... I should just do the 5/3/1 C&P, then drop to 70% and shoot for 30 reps total for the day. Then proceed to depletion by adding deadlifts, an lower body circuit, and and upper body circuit. And damnit, core work.

Sunday depletion workout:

Low bar back squat: 5/3/1, then 70% TM to 30 reps total

Clean and Press: 5/3/1, then 70% Press TM to 30 reps total

Deadlift: 70% of TM for 30 reps total

Lower body/core circuit: one exercise for each

Quads: front squats, step-ups, leg press, lunges

Hamstrings/glutes: RDL, GHR, rack pull, sumo DL

Calves: calf raises seated/standing

Abs: plank, leg raises, situps

Lower back: hypers, GHR, front squat

Upper body circuit:

Triceps: skullz, cgbp, narrow stance pushups, tricep press

Chest: flies, wgbp, wide stance pushups

Biceps: curls, chinup

Deltoids: front/side raises, Arnold press, face pull, inclined bench

Traps: Shrug, high pull, upright rows, Kroc rows

Lats: chinup, pullup, lat pulldowns, Pendlay rows...

Rest hard Monday and Tuesday. Then Deadlift + assistance on Wed. Maybe do some running on Thursday... why did I agree to do a 5k. Bench + assistance on Friday. Eat and rest like some mythical beast on Saturday.

• Like 2

--Stronkey Kong--

I weighed in first thing this morning at 251#. This is up from my previous low of 249#

Waist was 38" above three bellybutton. Up from 37" a couple weeks ago.

Calipers are at 28mm at the suprailliac, up 3mm.

I definitely over did it last weekend with my carb up. This one I'd gonna be dialed back a bit.

I just ate a pound of chicken breast for breakfast. I've got a pound of cherries for lunch. Clean and press workout after work. Then I'm meeting up with some of the guys for beers, and probably pizza or something.

I think I'll call it at that and start back on keto tomorrow.

• Like 1

--Stronkey Kong--

I find it amusing that I don't understand half of what you post, but from what I can understand you're kicking butt.

And your carb ups amuse me. I would have trouble eating like that. But wish I could

• Like 1

Race: Dwarf. Class: Warrior. Level: 4 STR: 9 DEX: 4 STA: 5 CON: 7 WIS: 8 CHA: 2

Daily Quest Battle Log

Challenge 1: BBWW will be my bitch Browncoat

Challenge 2: Calling in the Cavalry Knights of the GSPC

Challenge 3: K.I.S.S. Knights of the GSPC

Challenge 4: Back in Black  C25K & Zombies, Run! Champions

Challenge 5: It's my Strong Hand

"So that's everything huh. no weapons, no friends, no hope. take all that away and what's left?

Me"

I find it amusing that I don't understand half of what you post, but from what I can understand you're kicking butt.

And your carb ups amuse me. I would have trouble eating like that. But wish I could

Yeah. I tend to ramble on without explaining much. Don't be afraid to ask questions. I post for everyone else's benefit as much as my own.

Yesterday's workout

5/3/1_2.1.4

Clean and press: 95# 5, 105# 5, 120# 5, 4x3

Front squat: 115# 3x5

Here's another carb up...

1# of cherries

rice and peanut butter chicken

Pancakes, fried in coconut oil, with corn syrup

Five beers, mostly porter

two whiskey and Cokes

Two slices of pizza

One cheesy bread stick

Pancakes and eggs for breakfast

• Like 1

--Stronkey Kong--

Had some extra carbs yesterday, more pancakes and another drink. Despite that my weigh in this morning was only 255# so i know i didn't over do it.

Got my workout in today...

5/3/1_2.2.(1&2)

Goal: 5/3/1 squat, 5/3/1 press, glycogen depletion

Squat: 45# 10, 135# 5, 185# 5, 215# 3, 245# 3, 275#

Press: 45# 10, 65# 5, 100# 3, 115# 3

Okay that took care of 5/3/1 stuff, then...

Squat: 225# 5, 6x3, 2

I did a set of 5, then kept going with sets of three until i couldn't complete another 3 with good form.

Clean and press: 95# 3, 105# 9x3, 135# 1, 155# 1/2

@155# I got the clean but couldn't press it. Then I attempted to power clean 185#.

Deadlift: 275# 5, 3, 3, 3, 5, 3, 3, 3, 3

Incline curls: 2x25# 3x10

DB flies: 2x25# 3x10

Single leg seated calf curls: 50# 3x10, in/out/neutral

Seated calf curls: 50# 3x20

Cable crunch: 82.5# 2x10

Face pulls: 52.5# 2x10

Wood choppers: 37.5# 2x10 each side

Pretty sure I'm out of glycogen.

• Like 1

--Stronkey Kong--

5/3/1_2.2.3

Goal: 5/3/1 Deadlift 3's

Warmup: 5 min elliptical, got hr above 153 for 1m:30s.

Deadlift: 135# 10, 225# 3, 255# 3, 285# 5

Snatch high pull: 45# 10, 65# 5, 95# 5, 115# 3, 3, 3

Front squat: 45# 5, 95# 5, 135# 3, 3, 3

Leg raises: 4x10

Hypers: 3x10

Cool down: elliptical, 15 min., HR 140-150 bpm

My gym just redid their floor in one of the weight rooms, and bought some new toys for me to play with.

Also, they are opening a new location right across the street from my apartment soon.

• Like 1

--Stronkey Kong--

5/3/1_2.2.3

Goal: 5/3/1 Deadlift 3's

Warmup: 5 min elliptical, got hr above 153 for 1m:30s.

Deadlift: 135# 10, 225# 3, 255# 3, 285# 5

Snatch high pull: 45# 10, 65# 5, 95# 5, 115# 3, 3, 3

Front squat: 45# 5, 95# 5, 135# 3, 3, 3

Leg raises: 4x10

Hypers: 3x10

Cool down: elliptical, 15 min., HR 140-150 bpm

My gym just redid their floor in one of the weight rooms, and bought some new toys for me to play with.

Also, they are opening a new location right across the street from my apartment soon.

Can't believe it took me this long to find your thread!  Bad Oramac!  Definitely subbing to this.  

I love your perseverance and dedication man.  It's inspirational, really.  And I'm a bit jealous that your gym is building a new location across the street.  I wish mine would do that! 

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Friday's workout

5/3/1_2.2.4

Goal: bench press

Warmup: 5 min elliptical, got HR above 160 bpm

Bench press: 45# 10, 65# 5, 95# 5, 140# 3, 160# 3, 180# 7

I got 8 last time I did 180#. No one was around to spot so I didn't push it, but I'm still satisfied with 7 though.

Chins: 0, 0, -(1, 1, 1)

Pushups: 10, 10, 10

Gave two solid attempts at chins from an absolute dead hang before working negatives. Pushups were so so.

I did not have much steam, despite being carbed up...

I can't remember if I did my usual cooldown or not. I think I just said F*** it and left. Like I said, I didn't have much steam, and I was trying to keep it short. Went to meet a friend for her birthday - i.e. beers. I only bought one or two during happy hour, then managed to mooch off pitchers and rounds of shots.

• Like 3

--Stronkey Kong--

I mentioned this on my challenge thread.

I'm going to ditch the CKD from the masterplan until I hit my goal weight. I'll be going back to SKD and lowering the intensity of my workouts.

Yesterday showed me a couple of important things. First is that the carb ups aren't necessarily improving my workouts. I also feel a lot better throughout the day on regular SKD, and is easier to maintain momentum rather than changing gears all the time. And SKD was working, for fat loss at least. Also, I'm really just using carb ups to indulge.

I think CKD is fine for maintaining, so I'll be trying it again after I reach my goal weight.

From here on...

I'm going to finish the current cycle. I'll be going back to the M, T, R, F morning schedule. Each day will be the 5/3/1 week two (3's) on the main lift with primarily body weight assistance exercises. I'll be going for less intensity and more volume to burn fat.

• Like 2

--Stronkey Kong--

Every day is carb up day for me :playful:

Seriously though I hope your dietary adjustments get you closer to your goals! I'm debating between doing 5/3/1 or cube method for my next big training plan. Is this your first time through 5/3/1?

Lucky! Carbs definitely mess with me though. I'll be happier going back off of them.

This is my second cycle of 5/3/1. I'm just going back to what I was doing at the beginning of my first cycle. It'll definitely get me back to making progress on burning fat. It worked before.

--Stronkey Kong--

I'm toying with another idea.

I think I'm going to make passing the marine physical fitness test one of my new fitness goals.

For a male age 30,

3+ pullups

45 crunches ( in 2 min.)

3 mi. run, <= 29:00

I think I'm even gonna add the army's 49+ push ups in 2 min.

Doing this will probably be the focus of my next challenge and should help me burn a lot more fat.

I think it makes for good reachable goals in that time frame.

Of course thus gets thrown on top of 5/3/1 etc.

• Like 2

--Stronkey Kong--

I'm toying with another idea.

I think I'm going to make passing the marine physical fitness test one of my new fitness goals.

For a male age 30,

3+ pullups

45 crunches ( in 2 min.)

3 mi. run, <= 29:00

I think I'm even gonna add the army's 49+ push ups in 2 min.

Doing this will probably be the focus of my next challenge and should help me burn a lot more fat.

I think it makes for good reachable goals in that time frame.

Of course thus gets thrown on top of 5/3/1 etc.

That sounds like a pretty solid plan.  I know I don't envy the 3-mile run, but even with that it looks like a really good goal to have.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

That sounds like a pretty solid plan.  I know I don't envy the 3-mile run, but even with that it looks like a really good goal to have.  

The 3 mi. run would definitely be the hardest part for me. I used to do 4.5 mi runs a lot, but lazily, and at my best I'd get a 10 min. pace.

Also, the "pullups" can be suppinated or prone grip, so chinups count.

I have no doubt I can get to 39+ pushups and 45+ crunches in 2 min. each within a few weeks. (I screwed up above, only 39+ are required for the Army standards)

The next step then, would be the Army Ranger test...

49+ pushups, 2 min. (this is where I got the above 49+ from)

45+ situps, 2 min.

6+ chinups

5 mi. run, <40:00

• Like 3

--Stronkey Kong--

5/3/1_2.3.1

Goal: 5/3/1 press, usmc pft assessment

Warmup: 5 min elliptical, barely got my HR above 153 bpm

Press: 45# 10, 65# 5, 85# 5, 105# 5, 120# 3, 135# 3 Press PR (I think)

Chinups: 5/6, 5/6, 5/6, 3/4

The fractional reps are how complete I think each rep was from completion. I think the third one was best overall. Funny thing... At the very top most of those first three, I was pulling as absolutely hard as I could and my right leg, just the right leg, started shaking, every time. I think I have a wire crossed somewhere, lol.

Crunches: 43 in 2 min.

So f***ing close. I was at ten seconds left with two to go, and I couldn't recover enough between attempts to get the next one in time.

Pushups: 22 in 56 sec.

After 22 I let my knees drop, so i stopped there. I didn't feel like I'd get more than 4 more even if i let myself rest on my knees.

1 mi., 12 min- I set the treadmill to so a 5k at 5 mph. I got to a quarter mi. And realized I was not completing a 5k today. I decided to at do one mile no matter what. Did that. I was actually hitting my groove around 3/4 of a mile. I still stopped and cooled down at 1, but I'm confident about adding another 1/4 next run.

And this workout was completely fasted. I skipped breakfast, and forgot to take a lunch since I over slept and all.

• Like 2

--Stronkey Kong--

Goal: 5/3/1 press, usmc pft assessment

I saw this a while back on Wendler's site about training bodyweight exercises before the mainlifts. If you haven't seen it, it might be worth a read: http://www.jimwendler.com/2012/03/doing-more-with-less/

“I cannot lift this.†Ahmed ibn Fahdlan having been give a sword.

“Grow stronger!†Herger the Joyous

Specialization is for insects.

Battle Log:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/49470-serpenthelms-beginning/#entry1064460