I saw this a while back on Wendler's site about training bodyweight exercises before the mainlifts. If you haven't seen it, it might be worth a read: http://www.jimwendler.com/2012/03/doing-more-with-less/

Great article.

I really liked the last three lines:

"My goals are simple. To be a machine. The rest is a by product of consistently kicking the throat of lame."

That's definitely where I want to be.

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

Damn sounds like you were killing that workout. Great idea for a fitness goal too.

Race: Dwarf. Class: Warrior. Level: 4 STR: 9 DEX: 4 STA: 5 CON: 7 WIS: 8 CHA: 2

Daily Quest Battle Log

Challenge 1: BBWW will be my bitch Browncoat

Challenge 2: Calling in the Cavalry Knights of the GSPC

Challenge 3: K.I.S.S. Knights of the GSPC

Challenge 4: Back in Black  C25K & Zombies, Run! Champions

Challenge 5: It's my Strong Hand

"So that's everything huh. no weapons, no friends, no hope. take all that away and what's left?

Me"

This morning's workout

5/3/1_2.3.2

Goal: deadlift, body weight assistance work, short run

Warmup: 5 min elliptical

Then as per the article above I did done body weight stuff to warm up.

10 pushups

3 chinup negatives

8 lunges each leg

3 dips

12 leg raises

Deadlift: 135# 10, 240# 5, 270# 3, 300# 4 (PR)

And dammit, I forgot my chalk, but grip didn't fail me. It had more to do with the fact that everything kinda fuzzed out for a second on the forth rep.

GHR: 2x10

Leg raises: 3x10

Dips: 3x2

Hypers: 10

Switched to hypers cuz i almost toppled the equipment holding my ankles for ghr's.

1.25 mi. Run on the treadmill, 5 mph

A little farther than yesterday. I seemed to hit my groove again between 0.5 and 0.75...

Oh yeah, and last night I got zero minutes of sleep. I simply want sleeping, then to top it off, a bat got into my apartment. I can expect one or two more, just like every August. FML.

Tomorrow is rest day for sure.

• Like 1

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

Bats? Bloody hell! Sorry you couldn't sleep, I really hate restless nights

Daily Quest Battle Log

"So that's everything huh. no weapons, no friends, no hope. take all that away and what's left?

Me"

5/3/1_2.3.3

Goal: new warmup routine, 5/3/1 bench, run 1.5 mi.

Today I tried the warmup routine in the JW article that jedrik posted above. I just did a many reps of each as it took to get to the suggested max, or where it stated to just barely get challenging.

Jumping jacks (jj): 50

Pushups (pu): 12

Mountain climbers(mc): 10

Burpees(bp): 10

Flutterkicks(fk): 10

Dive bombers (db): 5

Leg lifts(ll): 7

Lunges (lg): 10

Bicycle(bi): 10

Band pulls: 0

Dips: 0

Abbreviations... In future posts, I'd prefer not to type all these out.

I skipped bands pulls because i was planning on working chins, plus I couldn't find the bands at the gym. Skipped dips because i can only do a few and was planning on working them today a well. Plus i didn't want to draw too much energy away from my bench.

Bench press: 45# 10, 65# 10, 95# 5, 135# 5, 150# 5, 170# 3, 190# 5, 135# 8

I probably had a couple more 190#'s in me, but no spotter. It's on more rep than I got on the last cycle with the same training max with a spotter.

Dips: 3, 3, 2

Lat bar pulldown: 150# 2, 1, 1

Someone broke my usual chinup bar.

Power clean progression: 45# 5 (hang) 5 (hang), 5 (knee), 95# 5 (floor)

Power clean: 135# 3x1

Fuel tank was to empty to generate good power.

Treadmill: 2 mi. Run, 5 mph

My goal was only 1.5 mi. But I got there and decided I had the steam to go for 1.75, and again decided to get to 2.0.

I felt shitty toward the end of the high intensity stuff today. I blame the new warmup. It may have been too much. But it's a good thing, so I'll just have to get used to it. Hmm... Think I'll avoid it on squat day until I'm more comfortable with it.

On the plus side, the 5k is a month away and I'm already capable of completing a two mile run. I can probably increase distance to 5k within the next week. (probably could have done a whole 5k today, but I wasn't gonna press my luck). Once I get 5k in, I'm gonna try to increase my pace. But here's the catch, when I actually run this thing for real, I will be hungover. That's a guarantee, and not really a choice unless i want to be a wuss about the cheese days partying. Unfortunately, nothing I'm willing to subject myself to is really gonna prepare me for that.

• Like 3

--Stronkey Kong--

Running hung over? Don't envy you there!

Your new warm up sounds intense, but kudos to you for wanting to keep doing it.

And that really sucks about your chin up bar being broken, I hope there's another one you can use

• Like 1

Daily Quest Battle Log

Me"

Sir if you are gonna run the actual 5k hungover/still slightly drunk...then you need to train for the race! Excuse to drink a 6 pack the day before training, get after it!

Haha, that work out session looked exhausting.  That warmup looked draining then followed by some good barbell work.

Running hung over? Don't envy you there!

Neither do I!  Good luck man.  

Sir if you are gonna run the actual 5k hungover/still slightly drunk...then you need to train for the race! Excuse to drink a 6 pack the day before training, get after it!

Haha, that work out session looked exhausting.  That warmup looked draining then followed by some good barbell work.

I suppose there is some validity to training the way you're going to compete......

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I got drunk on Friday, producing a colossal hangover...

I considered doing some jogging. Then I imagined running am actual 5k hungover. That alone made me nearly vomit.

Therefore, I will be doing neither. Duck that sit! (duck you Swype, duck you!). And cheese days drinking is way heavier than my typical Friday happy hour.

I will continue with the running however. A) to hold my self accountable. B) I'm seeing some benefits of running (what blasphemy is this?). Don't get me wrong... I still hate running.

No squatting was done as a result either. Then Sunday i noticed the soles ripping of the bottom of my gym shoes, so that was my excuse for not going yesterday. Then today it's closed for labor day.

But, I at least today I tested myself on my chins, pushups, and crunches at home.

Chinups: 1.5, 1.5, 1, 1, 1, 1 ( / 6 )

Crunches: 47 ( /45 in 2 min. )

Pushups: 23 ( /39 in 2 min. )

I got 39 or so crunches in under one minute. I had about 10 sec left in the clock and the attempt for 48 was a fail. However I exceeded the minimum to pass by two reps.

Pushups went till failure. I hit the 23rd in less than a minute. Stopped for a few breaths and tried the 24th and failed. Called it there, i would've needed at less a minute of rest before getting another rep.

• Like 2

--Stronkey Kong--

I'm seeing some benefits of running (what blasphemy is this?). Don't get me wrong... I still hate running.

You and me both man!  I hate it too, but still see benefits from it.  

Looks like you still had a decent go at the fitness test even with the hangover and everything.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

just now catching up. seems like you're still owning this challenge. i can barely function hungover, so i applaud the shit outta your effort to run that way.

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

As I type this, my bank account is horribly low... Like, it looks like I'm cutting this month/next challenge.

Basically, I'll be lowering intensity and going for more endurance in my workouts. I'll be focusing on running a bit too.

• Like 1

--Stronkey Kong--

i'm not necessarily cutting. but i do need to lose around 10 before the end of the year. so i'll kinda cut with ya? 

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

Okay. So the important thing here is that I went to the gym

Squat: 45# 2(5), 95# 5, 135# 5, 185# 5, 225# 5

I had meant for this to be my warmup. Basically I wanted today to be all about dips and deadlifts. But I was already pretty worked by the time I finished my squats.

Dips: 3, 2, 4(1)

I grinded through all those singles.

Deadlift: 135# 10, 225# 3(5)

I really wanted to do a lot more, but the steam was lacking. But I went really hard and powerful on the last five.

Running: 0.25 mi.

F***ing seriously. My legs were cramping up. I could feel my calves getting all twitchy and wanting to lock up. I'll be expecting a Charlie horse at 3am.

Alright. Remember the important thing is I went to the gym

It's been two weeks since I touched a barbell. My diet has changed radically as of this week. In fact I'm pretty sure I'm low on sodium, which would explain the cramps.

I also need to remind myself that this workout was only a goal a year ago. Just gotta get back to it.

• Like 2

--Stronkey Kong--

Okay. So the important thing here is that I went to the gym

Deadlift: 135# 10, 225# 3(5)

Alright. Remember the important thing is I went to the gym

That is the important thing.  And you can take solace in the fact that you still deadlifted more than a lot of people are able to.  I understand that it wasn't as awesome as you'd hoped for, but that doesn't make it any less.  Getting in there is a good day.  

To paraphrase a fun saying:  "A bad day at the gym is still better than a good day at work". 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I'll be waiting a couple of weeks before my next cycle of 5/3/1.

I'm gonna be playing with some running and more endurance related work. Come next month I'll have to reassess where I am financially and see if I can get all that delicious protein rolling again ( I need to support my recovery well).

In the mean time I'm off of keto/CKD.

I'm gonna follow some macros that give me more flexibility:

2500 calories / day

150 g Protein / day

188 g Carbs / day

125 g Fat / day

I'm also supposed to matching mattyboy's kettle bell swings, gotta get started on that

--Stronkey Kong--

200 swings in this morning sir. I'm doing a mix of the swings and a lifting program. Why? I really don't know BUT it means you don't have a crazy number of swings to match

200 swings in this morning sir. I'm doing a mix of the swings and a lifting program. Why? I really don't know BUT it means you don't have a crazy number of swings to match

Deal. Been thinking of doing an eye opener workout. I'll start tomorrow.

--Stronkey Kong--