• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MidknytOwl

Do carrots make anyone else nauseous? (What are you doing down there stomach?)

So raw carrots have been a tasty treat I have enjoyed since I was a kid.  I would have even said they were my favorite vegetable at some point, particularly if you were talking about one to snack on.  (Bell peppers currently reign supreme.  Sorry carrots.)  Cooked carrots are kind of meh - I'll eat them if they're there and will put them into mixed dishes - but they're not something I'd make as a side dish if I had alternatives.

Anyway, I'm trying to eat a protein source and fruit or vegetable every time I eat, and there's a lot more fruits going on than veggies.  Cue in the return of the carrot!  Doesn't need a dipping sauce, I enjoy it, they're inexpensive, and it's a vegetable.  Win all around.

Except now they're making me incredibly nauseous?

The last few times I've eaten them my stomach is very unhappy and feels...wrong.  About a half hour later the nausea hits hard and I'm clenching my jaw shut and grabbing the trash can next to my desk because I have to puke and don't think I'll make it to the bathroom in time.  (I haven't actually puked yet, but it's been due to hard effort not to.  Also, does anyone else get excessive saliva when they're trying not to throw up, or am I weird like that?  Drool city.)  Then it gradually gets better, but sometimes my stomach can feel off for the rest of the day.

Cooked carrots don't seem to have this problem, but then again I probably don't eat as much in one sitting and I don't eat them by themselves, so who knows.

Since this has happened a few times now and I've definitely been able to narrow it down to the carrots, obviously, I just have to give up eating carrots.   :(

I was just wondering if this happened to anyone else, because they never bothered me before and it seems really weird, especially since if I eat them on a not empty stomach, they're fine.  (After a sandwich or with a salad, no problem.  With only four pieces of ham as an afternoon snack, massive nausea.)  

Any other suggestions for a replacement snack veggie for someone that's kind of picky?  (Would broccoli still count if I smother it in ranch?  It's homemade ranch with no chemicals...)

There aren't many typical allergens in carrots, but that certainly doesn't mean you're sensitive to them. If you get them from the same place all the time it could be the supplier.

I'm not a huge organic proponent, mainly because it is nearly meaningless, but trying a verifiably healthy source for veg may remove many contaminants from your food - any one of which could make you sick.

Plus, we buy organic carrots and they're totally badass. We cook them in chx broth, butter, s&p, and trader Joe's 21 Seasoning salute. Suuuuper tasty.

I never had issues that I remember.

I've tried baby carrots, regular carrots, and multicolored ones, all organic and not all from the same store. My only other food issue is a rash from tomatoes, but I've had that some childhood.

So random.

I've had a bad reaction to raw carrots before, last year I had IBS-D which mysteriously got way better after Christmas. For me they caused stomach cramping among other symptoms. It could be the fiber, I've also had adverse reactions to (cooked) broccoli and salad...but not consistently. So for that period of time I made and effort to thoroughly cook fibrous veggies and it seemed to help.

My nutritionist theorized that I was sensitive to fiber because my stomach was irritated by other things (like alcohol, gluten, caffeine and dairy...being lactose-intolerant I should know better). She said that the fiber could basically be rubbing the already sensitive stomach lining.

I also found that eating something else before consuming irritating foods (raw fibrous veggies, coffee, etc) has helped me. My stomach is especially sensitive to the first things I eat on an empty stomach. So it isn't just you  :playful:

Yes, I've gotten a bit saliva-y when majorly nauseated...it accompanies that bile taste. Though through all my stomach issues, I've never gotten to the hurl point (I even tried once because I felt so awful I thought it might help).

Broccoli totally counts! If you want raw veggie snacks, cucumbers, daikon, jicama, snap peas, blanched green beans maybe?...and I share your bell pepper love  :rapture:

You could also try partially cooking the carrots to keep some of the crunch and make it easier on your tummy.

My nutritionist theorized that I was sensitive to fiber because my stomach was irritated by other things (like alcohol, gluten, caffeine and dairy...being lactose-intolerant I should know better). She said that the fiber could basically be rubbing the already sensitive stomach lining.

I also found that eating something else before consuming irritating foods (raw fibrous veggies, coffee, etc) has helped me. My stomach is especially sensitive to the first things I eat on an empty stomach. So it isn't just you  :playful:

Hmm...I have been having issues with heartburn the last couple of months.  (At least, I think it's heartburn?  Feels like acid is boiling at the back of my throat.)  It went from an occasional consequence to eating fast food to now I get it every time I eat out or if I eat a less than stellar at home meal.  So maybe the stomach lining is already upset and that's why?

Broccoli totally counts! If you want raw veggie snacks, cucumbers, daikon, jicama, snap peas, blanched green beans maybe?...and I share your bell pepper love  :rapture:

But does broccoli count if I dip it in ranch?  (Homemade, chemical free ranch, but still, it's ranch.)  I just can't eat it plain.  

I forgot about jicama, I should get some of those.  I did try edamame for the first time, and those weren't bad, except that it was obviously packaged to be a side dish instead of a snack because it was a whole bowl full (waaaay too much).  I liked the 10% of it I ate though.

Never had daikon.  That's like a radish, right?

Yup daikon is like a radish, but not as sharp tasting. Closer to jicama. You can find it at Asian stores. Good raw (peeled and cut in sticks) or cooked in broth.

I think broccoli still counts, even dipped in ranch. You're still getting all of the vitamins/fiber/nutrients. Your diet balance is your choice, don't be too hard on yourself! Optimal diets can vary, so if you feel good eating it then that's what's important. Following any diet 100% of the time is what makes it feel like a diet instead of just the way you are choosing to live.  :peaceful:

I dont think I'm allergic but having raw carrots will make me feel kinda sick but for me i just hate the taste so much that, that happens.

I used to eat about 5 large carrots a day, for a week and I ended up  passing a long white worm or parasite in my stool.

Then I started reading that the beta carotene in carrots kill certain worms or parasites in the intestines.  People have discovered dead long white worms in their stools after drinking a lot of carrot juice.

I was thinking that when you have parasites and  you may or may not know it,( but itchy rectum can be a sign, since they're laying eggs at night).

Either way, since I've never had this issue with nausea when I eat carrots,   I was thinking it's the parasites.

But then I heard about Shigella, which is a bacteria that can end up  in carrots where there's poo from animals and it  cause Nausea,  diarrhea, nausea, fever and vomiting. 

Remember the recall for baby carrots 12 years ago from Colorado because they had Shigella?

Anyway

I am going to get my carrots from a  different vendor.  I get mine from the Hollywood farmer's market in LA from a woman named Barbara, I've seen her with an iguana and thought maybe I shouldn't buy produce from her, but I want to continue eating 5 carrots a day.   I have more energy ironically.

The nausea feels similar to when I was pregnant except I didn't have this kind of energy.  I think it's killing parasites or making them very unhappy. so for all of you feeling nauseous, get tested for Shigella but it goes away on it's on in about a week, or  go see  a parasitologist.  Most doctors will tell you parasites are only in people who live in third world countries but we are so global now and people have pets sleeping with them.

I will update once I've eaten these carrots for about a month and see if I pass the parasites and if the nausea goes away but I don't want to stop eating carrots even though I'm making tons of saliva, maybe it's a liver thing.  Maybe my liver cannot deal with the overload of beta carotene. maybe it's related to hepatitis.

Maybe people with hepatitis cannot process beta carotene properly.

So many maybe's  I hope people continue to comment on this thread.

I almost died from nausea by eating a few 7-10 baby carrots 🥕. I wonder why... I have been stressed and drinking lots of coffee. I bet they sit heavy in the stomach since they have a lot of fiber.