• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hey guys!

Does anyone have good ideas for food that makes good leftovers? I'm a student and I work part time, so I'll often have either no time or large chunks of time in which to make food. I'm trying to make more food as it's easier to go paleo and it's cheaper that way, so what are your favourite meals to make that can be made in bulk and reheated?

There's a microwave at work and at uni, so that's good, but I don't have one at home, so it makes reheating take more time at night. Things that are good cold work, too. 

Definitely stews and curries. Here's a really quick stew recipe that I find makes four servings:

500g stewing meat, a tin of tomatoes, tonnes of carrots, a turnip, 2 onions, loads of garlic, chilli, mushrooms and whatever the hell else you want to throw in there.

Throw it all in a huge pan (or two pans) and boil it for an hour (or until the meat is tender) with the lid on.

Take the lid off and let it cook until there's not much liquid, but the dish is still juicy.

Add a tonne of pepper, salt and cayenne pepper if you like it spicy. I like to eat it with big old globs of grass-fed KerryGold butter too muhaha.

And here's an awesome curry recipe that's really quick -

2 tins of tomatoes, some meat, 2 onions, loads of garlic, chilli, ginger, and maybe some pepper. And some coconut milk (preferably Biona if you can get it)

Cayenne pepper, cumin, turmeric, curry powder, paprika, salt and pepper, coriander.

Cook your meat separately (and I like to steam some veg to serve it over).
Fry your onions, garlic, chilli and ginger in some coconut oil. When they've softened up, throw in generous amounts of turmeric, cayenne pepper, paprika, coriander, curry powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Add in a splash of water and let it cook for another minute. Throw in your tomatoes and usually about half the tin of coconut milk. Or all of it, just taste it after it's all blended together and judge it yourself.

Mix it all up and serve it over your meat / veg.

These are my favourite meals to make if I have a busy week. Both really easy, really tasty, and store well. I struggled at uni (I went to Liverpool) to stick to my diet and I wish I'd have kept it up, I feel amazing now I'm more into it! Would have had so much more energy hehe.

I second the curries idea, but also stir-fries. They have a saucy element that lends it a lot of imparted flavor, and they reheat nicely. Plus they're friendly to just about every veggie out there! Last night I did asparagus in a stir-fry for the first time and it was delish.

Shredded chicken with some green chile sauce. Keeps it moist. 

I find fish kinda weird to reheat, but I have had some success doing tilapia which I find really yummy. My fav recipe is a lemon caper tilipia, served w/spinach. Obviously make sure you'll eat the fish within a reasonable amount of time.

Salmon can be good on a salad bed if you like it cold!

Oh, on curries: coconut milk is fairly fatty (not intrinsically bad, but I wouldn't eat a whole can a day or anything). I love them and I'll eat them for lunch a few days in a row.