The Return of the Tuba

KungFuTuba

Greetings Rangers!  I began a new fitness project Monday and decided to take the opportunity to return to NF after a significant hiatus. I see the current challenge is almost done, so I'll just start my own. =) The rotation I’ve started is on an 8-week cycle, so maybe I'll just roll it over into the next NF Challenge.  I will also be adding some professional education (ProEd) and Tuba practice goals to round out my "stat" gain.  I’m looking forward to moving forward with you all!

SITUATION

Recent personal evaluations and professional opportunities have revealed a need for a new level of physical and professional proficiency.

MISSION

This mission is many-fold: to complete the 8-week workout rotation, reduce body fat percentage by 3%, to increase testable physical fitness by 5%, to complete requisite online professional education and to memorize the Fountains of Rome and all significant Berlioz and Wagner excerpts for tuba. 

EXECUTION

1.) Concept of Operations: Workouts will be CrossFit oriented with three timed runs a week, concentrating on form and mental clarity.  Using a typical day the the Warehouse for Occupational Repetitive K as a framework, the self-improvement schedule will be as follows:

MON-WED-FRI: 0500 – X min. Run / 0700 ProEd / 1130 CrossFit / Evening Tuba practice

TUE-THU: 0500 CrossFit / 0700 PME / 1130 Tuba Practice

Early morning workouts will be crucial to maintaining proper progress through the evolution.  Utilize travel time at WORK for ProEd as much as possible.  Maintain established proper diet, hydration and sleep protocols.

2.) TASKS: Intermediate tasks will be as follows:

a.) WEEK 1: Complete all prescribed training.

b.) WEEK 3: Complete three ProEd chapters and achieve   

performance-level familiarity with all excerpts

c.) WEEK 5: Score 93% on a sefl-administered fitness test.  Maintain a 15 timed run at better than 9-minute pace

ADMINISTRATION AND LOGISTICS

1.) All food will be prepared at the Headquarters Of Mission Execution (HOME) whenever possible.  Diet will be within the established “Tribal†standards (80% “Paleo,†20% rice, whole oats or unleavened bread).  Water intake will stand at one (1) gallon a day, with an additional quart consumed before and after all outdoor evolutions assigned by WORK.

2.) Ensure the injured knee is properly braced during and iced and medicated after every physical training session.  New ice packs and medication should be purchased and staged both at HOME and WORK as soon as possible.

3.) Ensure that 6-8 hours of sleep are acquired per night.  Lights out will be no later than 2200, preferably earlier if scheduling allows.  Do not interrupt quality time with family unless it is necessary to meet the 2200 deadline.

COMMAND AND SIGNAL

Debrief at NF Ranger HQ every night as possible concerning accomplishments and/or shortfalls of the day. 

HUMAN SPIRIT SOLDIER

Ranger/Druid

STR 4 STA 2 DEX 3 CON 3 WIS 3 CHA 2

"We must all suffer one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret." -Jim Rohn

"The first virtue of a soldier is endurance of fatigue.  Courage is only the second virtue"  -Napoleon Bonaparte

"Grant yourself a moments peace, and you will realize how foolishly you scurry about. Be silent, and see that you talk too much. Be kind, and see that you judge too harshly. Hasten slowly, and you will soon arrive." - Chinese Proverb

WEEK 1, DAY 1

0600 - Long Slow Time (LST) run, 10 minutes

1000 – Tuba fundamentals, excerpt “sightreading,†gear selection

1430 – Baseline Workout #1: Warm up, 400m run / 40 air squats / 30 situps / 20 push-ups / 10 pull ups

1930 – ProEd study

I am going to add my first couple workouts to the log, even though they weren’t today.  No work this day or the next, so I started a little later than normal.  The time runs are an attempt to get better at maintaining pace.  I can run/walk 3 miles in 25 minutes or so, but never developed a constant pace for extended periods.  Began making some decisions on horns (bass or contrabass) and mouthpieces for Wagner; Berlioz is almost all small horn, all the time.  The workout seemed pretty light…it was hard not to do more.  But the routine calls it the “Baseline†for a reason, so I stuck to it.  Like my professor once told me: “If it’s really so easy, do it perfectly and move on.â€

HUMAN SPIRIT SOLDIER

Ranger/Druid

"We must all suffer one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret." -Jim Rohn

"The first virtue of a soldier is endurance of fatigue.  Courage is only the second virtue"  -Napoleon Bonaparte

"Grant yourself a moments peace, and you will realize how foolishly you scurry about. Be silent, and see that you talk too much. Be kind, and see that you judge too harshly. Hasten slowly, and you will soon arrive." - Chinese Proverb

WEEK 1, DAY 2

0730 – Baseline Workout #2: Warm up, 3 Rounds For Time (RFT): 400m run / 10 burpees / 10 back squats (45#) / 10 4-count bicycle crunches (10:42)

1130 – ProEd Study

1500 – Tuba Practice

Got a slow start this day and ended up practicing in front of the Brazil/Germany game.  I’d like to think it was pretty productive, but the pace of the German scoring was a little distracting at first. =P   The long holiday weekend ends today for me, so it’s up early for real tomorrow.

HUMAN SPIRIT SOLDIER

Ranger/Druid

WEEK 1, DAY 3

0500 – LST Run, 12 minutes

1000 – Tuba Fundamentals

1130 – ProEd Study

First day back at work…and a came up short.  It was ridiculously hot today, and after working outdoors in the morning, 3 hours on an old hot box of a bus and mowing the lawn at 3pm my body really started feeling like training in my overheated garage wasn’t the best plan.  My routine only calls for 5 workouts a week, so I’ll push this week back a day and pick it up from there.

HUMAN SPIRIT SOLDIER

Ranger/Druid

WEEK 1, DAY 4

0600 - Warm Up/STRENGH: 5 sets Front Squat x5/As Many Rounds As Possible (AMRAP) in 10 minutes: 5x Pull ups, 7x push ups, 9x Front Squats (45#)

1200 - Tuba: fundamentals, range extension, Symphony Fantastique review

1730 - ProEd Chapter 1 test review

This was a long, empty day; it made for great study and practice progress!  I have never gotten the hang of Front Squats, so I started with the bar and did a few bonus sets to get up to 95#.  My technique was definitely the limiting factor, especially my wrist flexibility.  The AMRAP workout went about as expected.  Pull ups have always been a bit of a weakness, but still I managed 7 sets.  I got started a little late because I played "a little" Puzzles and Dragons instead getting out of bed.  Probably shouldn't do that anymore...  =P

I'm realizing now what a tremendous pain the Berlioz excerpts are going to be, mainly because I'm a perfect 4th short in the high range department.  With an Ab in Le Corsaire and the possibility of a Bb in Fantastique, I decided to add range extension to my practice regimen.  Are there any serious tuba players out there that have had similar problems slotting that Ab on a YFB 822?

HUMAN SPIRIT SOLDIER

Ranger/Druid

WEEK 1, DAY 5

0530 - LST Run,  10 Minutes (sneakers)

0800 - Tuba Fundamentals

1230 - ProEd Ch 1 Test failed 

2100 - Warm Up/BW Calisthenics 20 minutes/LST Run, 10 Minutes (boots)

Morning Cardio felt great, which is saying a lot for an anti-runner like me. =)  The rest of the day really got away from me.  I didn't get any excerpt practice in.  I was able to squeeze an attempt at completing Chapter 1 in between commitments, but then didn't work out until way too late.  I kept the calisthenics high intensity, using a card deck of exercises to keep it a bit more random.  The run in boots felt horrible...but that's what soldiers do, right?  I am doing all my Crossfit workouts in trousers and boots, by the way; I don't think I'd mentioned that before.  One more day and workouts are done for the week!

HUMAN SPIRIT SOLDIER

Ranger/Druid

I'm a Tuba player too, or at least I once was, so I'm obligated to sub this. [emoji4]

Everywhere I Go-o, People want to Know-o

Who I am? So I Tell Them!

I am the Mighty, Mighty Mighty Tuba!

WEEK 1, DAY 6-7

HOLIDAY ROUTINE

Tuba Practice - Fundamentals (1hr each day), more Berlioz added to list, exercises begin

WEEKLY REVIEW

PRIMARY TASK - Complete all prescribed training - GRADE: B (workouts complete, satisfactory excerpt progress, DNF Pro-Ed Chapter 1)

AUX. TASK 1 - Prepare food at home - GRADE: C (7/10 meals)

AUX. TASK 2 - Brace, ice and medicate knee for every workout - GRADE B (4/5 workouts)

AUX. TASK 3 - Sleep 6-7 hours per night - GRADE: A (7/7 nights)

I decided to ditch the last workout this week, on account of feeling considerably run-down and a new workout regimen cropping up with some guys at work.  Lots of active rest (walks/swimming with the fam, a couple hours mowing lawns, some low-level workouts with the CO), a little bonus water and food within the diet and I was ready for Monday with a vengeance!  I like to compose my own set of exercises to help deal with all the most difficult passages in my excerpt projects, so I started doing that on Saturday.  

WEEK 2, DAY 1

FRAGMENTARY ORDER

SITUATION - A new workout regimen will be added to your schedule, to be executed at 0600 M-F.  This workout will take the place of the previously assigned workout for the day, if similar.

0645 - Warm Up/2 Rounds for Completion: STATION 1: Superset-10 Push Press (#45)-10 Overhead Lunge (#60)-10 1-Arm KB Snatch and Press-10 Overhead Lunge, STATION 2: 15 Large Tire Flips, STATION 3: 25yd Car Push

1300 - Tuba Practice - Fundamentals, range extensions, Berlioz

Fun workout yesterday, put together by a group at work.  Finally played the high Ab in Le Corsaire today!  Not well, but it was there.  I was starting to wonder...but there it was.  Poor planning on my part led to eating restaurant food for breakfast and lunch.  Acceptable substitutes, all things considered, but not nearly as good as what I would've made myself.  No Pro-Ed study, either.  

WEEK 2, DAY 2

0645 - Warm Up/Prone-to-Standing Suicides (20/40/60yds), Dumbbell run (120yds, 30# per hand), Buddy-Up Suicides (Bear Crawl Drag 20yds, Standing Buddy Drag 40yds, Fireman's Carry 60yds)

Awesome workout today!  Ate great too, but didn't do anything else I was supposed to; no individual practice time and no studying.  MUST. DO. BETTER.

HUMAN SPIRIT SOLDIER

Ranger/Druid

Help!  We Need You!

We need Rangers to jump in on the last part of the mini-challenge.

We're killing murderous, bourbon swilling imps via pullups and burpees (modifications allowed for fitness level and injuries).

Check it out here. And contribute your kill stats here.

Level One Rebels/aspiring Rangers are welcome, too, so bring friends!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

DEBRIEF

OBJECTIVE STATUS

1.) ACHIEVE ALL GOALS FOR WEEK ONE - Grade B: Workouts complete, excerpt progress satifactory, DNF Pro Ed Chp 1

+1 STR +1 STA +0 INT

2.) ACHIEVE PERFORMANCE-LEVEL FAMILIARITY WITH ALL EXCERPTS; COMPLETE THREE CHAPTERs - Grade C-: DNF Pro Ed, extensive excerpt progress, but some skills (high range) were are still incomplete.

+1 DEX

3.) ALL FOOD WILL BE PREPARED AT HOME WHENEVER POSSIBLE - Grade B+: Good food intake, foiund some very acceptable substitutions for adverse situations.  More rice, less bread. 

+1 CON

MISSION COMPLETE

I haven't posted for a while, but I kept working!  My schedule at work got horrendous with a bare minimum of available internet connection, so I used the minutes I had to send support rather than double-log workouts no one is reading.  =P  I only allotted 5 points since I picked this one up late. Definitely  failed to earn one; I absolutely fell of the Pro Ed wagon.  I'll make that a focus for the next Challenge.  My Training regimen got highjacked by a new workout group with much more sprinting, speed and agility than I wanted to work on, but I'll roll with it.  Evolution complete, and on to the next...

HUMAN SPIRIT SOLDIER

Ranger/Druid

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines