• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

zeloschick

Looking for Information

This is why UFC is the best thing that has happened to modern martial arts. And the best argument for sparring - or at least a really good argument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd7M4H0b62k#t=60

Epic. I couldn't understand what was gong on with the dancing guy at the beginning.

You can't go wrong with Jeet Kune Do and a concealed carry permit.

Seems to be the go-to response. Do you happen to train in JKD?

Seems to be the go-to response. Do you happen to train in JKD?

Yes, I have trained in it for about 20 years, well, it and two other styles. It is a goto, because of the simplicity of its concept.

I had no idea what was going on in this video. It was pretty funny though. 

What are those students doing? Why are they just... falling like that? Makes no sense? 

When I think "sparring", well... that's what I love about judo's sparring, it's "randori". All it is, is just trying to grab your opponent and throw them, while they're fully resisting and trying to throw you right back. The same goes with ground work (ne-waza), you both just... pretty much wrestle and try to achieve one of your techniques against your opponent, whether it's a controlled hold down, an armbar or a choke. 

And hey, judo is used quite effectively by particular MMA fighters, such as Fedor Emelienko and Ronda Rousey. 

I had no idea what was going on in this video. It was pretty funny though. 

What are those students doing? Why are they just... falling like that? Makes no sense? 

They're doing no-touch techniques.  In effect, chi attacks.

I'm not going to get too into the debate, but I'll drop this here.  Skip to about 1:10 for the guy explaining why he couldn't use it to knock out a skeptic who asked him to prove the technique works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM_qg5d1YGI

First words out were "The guy was a non-believer."

Dillman is such a goon. Complete charlatan. Martial arts used to be filled with people saying this garbage. I remember a class I took in the 80's when a guy told me "you're using your body too much, don't use your body - use your chi" when teaching me how to throw a punch. Moron. I should have walked out right there, but hey, I was young.

The worst thing is I think he might believe it himself. He's so far gone into delusion it's almost clinical.

Just watched the video. As awesome as it sounds to have the ability to knock someone out without physically touching them, well... personally I think that's not possible. 

I think you're right DerekP. These people get so involved and motivated that they actually believe that what is happening is completely legit. Even the "masters" themselves who are doing it think it's real too. 

When I practiced Wing Chun back in 2009/2010, the instructors there suggested that there is no such thing as "chi", as Wing Chun was more... body mechanics and physiology, rather than "chi" like some martial arts. I apologize in saying that - I don't want to start any debates or arguments either. 

Dillman is such a goon. Complete charlatan. Martial arts used to be filled with people saying this garbage. I remember a class I took in the 80's when a guy told me "you're using your body too much, don't use your body - use your chi" when teaching me how to throw a punch. Moron. I should have walked out right there, but hey, I was young.

The worst thing is I think he might believe it himself. He's so far gone into delusion it's almost clinical.

Yes, I have trained in it for about 20 years, well, it and two other styles. It is a goto, because of the simplicity of its concept.

Cool. A bit of a stretch to say one can't go wrong though. I've seen some JKD McDojo practitioners. Even semi-monopolized arts like BJJ have McDojos popping up.

• Like 1

Cool. A bit of a stretch to say one can't go wrong though. I've seen some JKD McDojo practitioners. Even semi-monopolized arts like BJJ have McDojos popping up.

OK, I really didn't mean it as a literal statement of promise. The concept of JKD can be applied to all martial arts. You have better luck in getting a good instruction. Either JKD or Sayoc Kali...these have a good chance of being legit, due to the fact that they vet their instructors very well.

I'm not gonna lie, that arm bar does look interesting and I wouldn't mind giving it a go.

However I don't see it working particularly well. I mean... it might, maybe, if you can get it. I can't imagine it being successful though because of the "attacker" down below would most likely go for a higher and tighter grip. 

Never know... it might work, maybe. As silly as this might sound, I'd like to give it a try and see if it's worth while, but something tells me if anything this would be a real "sucker" kinda technique that would be rare to pull off. Still, I doubt it would work. I've tried choking people who are in mount on me and sometimes it works (or at least they'll panic and , or they might spin out and counter for a more traditional arm bar. 

[Edit/Update] Just looked up who "James Paredes" is and the Internet claims he's a fraud black belt or at least, is "questionable" so uh... maybe I won't bother trying this arm lock. :tongue:

[Edit/Update] Just looked up who "James Paredes" is and the Internet claims he's a fraud black belt or at least, is "questionable" so uh... maybe I won't bother trying this arm lock. :tongue:

The internet will talk smack and claim that everyone is a hoax at some point in time. I know there are some questionable instructors out there, but even Bruce Lee stated, learn what they know, use what works, disregard what doesn't.

People say that Gary Dill is a phony, but he was recently acknowledged by Bruce's family and Dan Inasanto. He may be a jerk, but he teaches some good stuff. I have a habit of never saying, "I will never go there because of (McDojo/Phony instructor/BS Chi attacks) learn what they know, and at the very least, you will have an idea of how to beat them and their students.

But that is just my $.02, if that arm lock looks cool, and you think you can get it to work for you, then by all means, DO IT! If it won't work for you, don't waste time trying to get it to work for you. Move on to the next technique.

• Like 1

If you're strong enough to just "pop" your opponent's hand off your gi, you don't need ant training or technique to beat him. You're just so much stronger than he is, technique is not a factor. People teach this garbage all the time. You see a lot of punch counters demonstrated where the counter brings you to the attacker's back right behind the punch. Again, if you're that much faster than you're opponent, you don't need any special technique. There's a lot more to matial arts than mma, but a lot of bullshit has had to walk because of it in the last 15 years and it's only been a good thing.

Machete, lmao that Forgetting Sarah Marshall reference is poetic as hell. 

That Paredes guy is a real assclown. His other vids are almost as bad. There is a guy in my town who runs a fake "bjj" program along with his chi magic classes just like Paredes, robbing kids too inexperienced and enthusiastic to know better.

EDIT: Or robbing their parents, as the case may be.

As I understand it from my Sifu, Eagle Claw is a traditional nothern style of Kung Fu. I dont know much more than that, but if it interests you, you can always sit in on a class I'm sure.

My as a judo black belt , bjj purple belt former mma fighter and worker as a doorman in uni and my fair share of fights being from Airdrie in Scotland,I would suggest if u wanna be good competent in any range u want to look at the folk how are best in that range so boxing wrestling judo bjj thai. There is a whole street vs sport debate which is redundant as RBSD can't replicate real fight but the do understand verbal engagement as a precursor to an assault.

Training a full n combat sport develops a mentally that wins fights were ever they happen by developing the grinding attitude needed in comps folks doing this sort of train are strong and fit.

My advise is lean "the fence"

Learn to throw jabs and cross´s in combination(this will let out punch most people in the street)

Learn the plum with knees

Learn one throw/take down u can do from anywhere ( with cloth and with out etc)

Learn the old school 4 stage vale tudo guard with stand ups ( it's not always ur choice iron it back)

Have escapes from bottom.

Once u have the above down up have the best bang for it buck in terms of stuff that matters in the street then just train the system u enjoy the most in the knowledge the if it unfortunate enough to get I a real fight u have all the skills that would have allowed u to make a difference

The dude in that video isn't a legit bjj, it's traditional Japanese jits if u check the patches, although he has went and bought a bjj belt ,which has been happening even tkd coach's have been teaching ground fight program s with a bjj gi and a their tkd black belt.

Also the term ude garimi is more common in judo ans Japanese jits ,bjj folks would for the most part use americana and kimura.

Also who the hell will more than 10 mins of grappling experience grabs someone's lapels from under mount