After Hiatus: New Name, New Challenges, New Goals, Same Old Ronin

Well, howdy everyone! It's good to be back! It's been a rather long hiatus full of many ups and downs. My return is catalysed by my current life goal, and the

need for strong support and a good kick in pants when required, in order to complete said goal. Sadly, I get very little of this in my day-to-day life, simply due to the

nature of my goal, and the conflict it creates amongst those who I would normally look towards for support and encouragement.

My physical condition has deteriorated somewhat, mainly due to two injuries I sustained while on my lengthy hiatus: a torn rotator cuff and a herniated spinal

disc. Recovery time for these injuries has been rather lengthy, and I have become quite sedantary as a result (well, sedantary for me, anyways). I still remain

somewhat active, simply due to my current profession, but have not worked out on a consistent basis in nearly 6 months. I've put on quite a bit a weight, sitting

right now at 210 pounds, which is about 30 pounds more than I was before my absence. My injuries are nearly healed, my shoulder is feeling strong, however my

back will take a little while to get back to its previous vigor.

As for my current life goal, I shall state it plainly: I desire to join the elite military ranks of the U.S. Navy SEALs. This has been long in my mind, and I have

finally decided to act upon it. The main obstacle to achieving this goal is my current employer, who also happens to be the biggest male influence in my life, a

surrogate father, and one of my personal heroes. He desires for me to stay and help him build his dream, at the cost of pursuing my own. I currently hold a very

esteemed position, heading one of several locations, and the most prominent next to the main headquarters. Although I am doing a spectacular job here, this is

a position that I do not desire to be in, nor have I ever desired as much. I understand that should I leave, there will be very large shoes to be filled left in my

wake. However, I need to do what is best for me, and this is something which he has yet to fully understand, simply because it is to his detriment, rather than his

benefit. The fact that he is such a prominent figure in my life and does not support my endeavors is what pains me most.

For those of you who remember me as "Ronin", I have obviously changed my display name. This is quite intentional. The name "Balmung" is a sword from

Norse mythology, and I believe it is one of the most epic names in the history of onomatology. The reason for my selection of this name, is that I have embraced

my Viking ancestry (I did indeed trace my heritage back to my Viking ancestors. If you should ever get the chance, I suggest you also trace your ancestry. It is

most interesting.), complete with the massive beard, and beard so majestic that even my father, posesor of a fine beard himself, envies it's gloriousness. The

second part of my display name, "Tyro", is another word for "novce" or "beginner". I have chosen this as a public display of my current physiological state, and it

shall change as I progress towards my goal.

With all that being said, I am quite positive that my goal will be achieved, with or without support on the homefront. Coming off of these two most recent

injuries, I realize that I have a massive amount of work ahead of me, but its gargantuan size does not daunt me. On the contrary, I look forward to overcoming

this series of challenges, and I will do my best to chronicle and inspire those of you who read my exploits as best I can!

P.S.: I apologize for the small ebook I have just posted

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

STR: 8   STA: 10

AGI: 10   WIS: 5

CON: 7   CHA: 4

We must DARE to be GREAT;

and we must realize that GREATNESS is

the FRUIT of TOIL and SACRIFICE and HIGH COURAGE

Wow!!  Welcome back and best of luck with the recovery and gearing up for SEALs!!

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)