Starting new skill 2 days. Need good luck.

So my first post, hopefully in the correct section, anyways..

In 2 days I'm going to a weekend course of Krav Maga self defence, I'm 18 and feeling nervous.

I'm trying to go about it with the same mentality as a hard hat challenge.

Just looking for encouragement and would love to see your stories of similar experiences.

Thanks !!!

• Like 1

Hi, rob,

I don't have any experience with self-defence classes, but if it's any consolation, I had something similar before attending my first ever kettlebell workshop this year in April. I was both excited and TERRIFIED before, but it turned out to be a lot of fun and a great learning experience.

We were a very mixed group, some very fit people (come on, fitness instructors and physical therapists in their mid-twenties!), an ex-MMA-guy with back problems, a 40 yo weak and unfit desk jockey (that would be me) and a 60+ lady who had heard about kettlebells in her online weight loss group.

Our instructors were great, explained a lot and taught us the exercises from the ground up. They also provided variations for different fitness or skill levels.

We ended up laughing a lot as well as learning. :) (And boy, was I sore for a couple of days after... :D)

Have fun at your workshop! :encouragement:

• Like 1

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

You'll do fine!  I've only attended a couple Krav classes, as the only school in my area is quite far away from me, but be prepared for a very intense workout.  That being said, it is quite fun, and definitely worth going to!  Go get em, dude! And above all, have fun! 

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Please let's us know about your experience! Krav maga is one of my goals and would be very interested to hear how it goes.

Hi iron head

First just wanna say thanks again, I heard exactly want I needed to hear before going.

But it was a great course everyone very friendly and so on..

Krav Maga itself is really good it's a real survival/defence skill. It goes over how karate is a sport like boxing is and with Krav Maga it is all %100 practical and applicable .

Overall Krav Maga is a brilliant thing to know and I would highly recommend it!!

That lines up very well with what I have heard about it. Practical and efficient for the real world, I respect all of the martial arts and discipline it takes to learn them, but some of the techniques seem like a bad idea for real world situations.

Level 1 Half-Orc Barbarian Ranger, Chaotic Good
STR:2 DEX:0 STA:2 CON:2 WIS:2 CHA:0

Do not wait to strike the iron while it is hot; but make it hot by striking.

Lose ten pounds Battle Log Quest I

Hi iron head

First just wanna say thanks again, I heard exactly want I needed to hear before going.

But it was a great course everyone very friendly and so on..

Krav Maga itself is really good it's a real survival/defence skill. It goes over how karate is a sport like boxing is and with Krav Maga it is all %100 practical and applicable .

Overall Krav Maga is a brilliant thing to know and I would highly recommend it!!

That lines up very well with what I have heard about it. Practical and efficient for the real world, I respect all of the martial arts and discipline it takes to learn them, but some of the techniques seem like a bad idea for real world situations.

Having looked into quite a few of them when I was trying to decide which art to take, these are both accurate.  Most "ancient" martial arts (i.e. created more than 100 years ago) were entire philosophies.  Yes, they can be deadly, and they're certainly effective in a fight, but they're generally philosophy first, fighting second.   Even MMA isn't quite as practical as a self-defense art as it could be, since it's specifically designed to not permanently injure the opponent.  Groin/eye/top-of-head strikes and the like are banned.  Please understand, however, that i have the utmost respect for all of these arts.  They simply use a different philosophy than Krav. 

Krav, on the other hand, is first and foremost a weapon.  It's designed to inflict as much damage as possible in the shortest time possible.  Period.  It sounds brutal when described that way, and it is, but it's also extremely effective.  If it wasn't, the Israeli Military wouldn't have invented it.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™