Scarlet Legend's Journey from Hobbit to Master Assassin

First Thought:  I really hope I can keep this up.

I just started NF a couple weeks ago and I'm super excited to be a part of this community.

My focus for my first Main Quest is to lose 40 lbs.  I might not reach this goal but the only exception is that the extra weight is pure muscle.

I know I run on momentum and motivation so if your reading this feel free to leave some encouragement or be hard on me for not posting anything.

So starts the journey.

Day 1 -  This was my second time doing the beginner body weight circuit today.  I can only do push-ups on my knees and can only finish 2 circuits.

Even though its tough I love the feeling of pushing myself and feeling like I accomplished something.  Its amazing how on only the second

time I don't feel as sore.  It also helps that I listen to Naruto music when working out.   :victorious:

Question of the Week:  What has been a good nutrition goal for you?

• Like 1

Scarlet Legend  lvl: 1

Psalms 18:32-36

Race: Hobbit /// Class: Assassin

| STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA  1 | CON  6 | WIS 6 | CHA 1

Battle Log  ~~~  Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4

Main Quest:  Lose 30 Lbs.

10%
10%

Start: 172  Current: 169

Challenge #4

50%
50%

Woohoo!  The soreness is the worst part of starting something new - kudos to you for pushing through!  And the best soundtrack makes the most difference.  :rapture:

Hopping in on the nutrition thing since you say you like dialogue: the nutritional goal that started me on the path to better eating was removing high fructose corn syrup from my diet.  I realized then that it was in almost everything that wasn't fresh and started home cooking a lot more.  I moved on then to cutting out processed foods and GMOs, which has given me a ton of energy as I've replaced these with better choices!

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Thank You for the advice.  I definitely need to watch for corn syrup and have not thought to check on the stuff I buy for it.  I'm trying to go to farmers markets a lot more to get fresh local food and snacks.  Where are some places you like to get fresh food that isn't too expensive?

• Like 1

10%
10%

Challenge #4

50%
50%

Day 2 & 3 - ( I think I'm going to post every other day when I do my body weight workout)

I've been doing very bad with my diet by eating out with friends.  It's really hard since its summer and I don't have a routine set for my life yet.

This is the 3rd time doing the workout and I actually don't feel exhausted but I still can only get through 2 circuits.  The lunges are the worst for                     me because it feels like I'm going to tear a muscle or something.  I feel like if I stretched better I would not have this problem.

Question of the Day:  What are some good leg stretches that would help after lunges?

10%
10%

Challenge #4

50%
50%

Thank You for the advice.  I definitely need to watch for corn syrup and have not thought to check on the stuff I buy for it.  I'm trying to go to farmers markets a lot more to get fresh local food and snacks.  Where are some places you like to get fresh food that isn't too expensive?

Honestly?  My local Korean supermarket (check if you have an H-Mart in your area) has fantastic prices on produce, fish, and meat!  I appreciate that I can get some kind of unusual stuff there, too... like Chinese eggplant (which is so much easier to cook than regular, imho) and kabocha squash (aka Japanese pumpkin).  Also all kinds of fresh mushrooms and so on.  It can be kind of overwhelming though, if you're not used to shopping Asian markets, since not everything is labeled in English...

Question of the Day:  What are some good leg stretches that would help after lunges?

I think it depends on where you're sore.  When the front of my leg is tight, I like Crescent Moon (helps me with hips too).  For hips and glutes, a figure 4 stretch can't be beat in my book (up against a barre, if you have access to one, this is super effective too).  There are a few other good leg stretches like this and this, though depending on your level of flexibility you may find that something else actually works better for your particular body!  When I'm really tight I just sit in Pigeon for awhile, but it's kind of extreme for some people?

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Day 4 & 5

Today's workout was awesome because I actually completed all 3 circuits of the beginner body weight workout!  And today during stretching I actually was able to touch my toes, which I've only been able to do a precious 2 or 3 times in my life!  It has not even been a week yet and I already feel stronger and more flexible. Lastly I believe that I have won my battle against lunges!  Before I would put my hands on my hips and the lunge would be extremely difficult because I would lose my balance.  I notice that when I stretched out my arms parallel to the ground I was able to keep balance and the lunge was SO much easier.  I think I shall name them Leap of Faith Lunges.  Tis one of the vital skills in becoming an assassin right?

I think it depends on where you're sore.  When the front of my leg is tight, I like Crescent Moon (helps me with hips too).  For hips and glutes, a figure 4 stretch can't be beat in my book (up against a barre, if you have access to one, this is super effective too).  There are a few other good leg stretches like this and this, though depending on your level of flexibility you may find that something else actually works better for your particular body!  When I'm really tight I just sit in Pigeon for awhile, but it's kind of extreme for some people?

Thank you so much for your advice on food and stretches starsapart.  I tried the figure 4 stretch and it was AMAZING.  That was exactly what my legs needed.  I definitely do the hamstring stretches but the Pigeon and Crecent Moon were new.  I have never done yoga and have been extremely inflexible my entire life so they will be a new challenge for me.

10%
10%

Challenge #4

50%
50%

Hi There Scarlet!  Great to have you storming the castle.

I have not been able to find your challenge thread...as I think that this is your battle log.

Will this be your first full challenge with NF?  If so, go to the Level 1 Rebels and sign in - and start a challenge thread...then come one over to the Storming the Castle thread and just say Hi, and post your thread there.  YOu have done a great job with this progress on your battle log - and great job NOT waiting until the beginning of the challenge!  That means that you have gumption!  Impressive!

What some do is they copy their workout posts from their challenge log right into their battle log - so that battle log is on going, while the challenge thread is guild specific and only for the 6 weeks.  it doesn't actually disappear...it just gives a great new start, so that we can focus on 6 weeks at a time.

So - 

Think it will work?

It'd take a miracle!

We'll never survive!

You're only saying that because no one ever has!

LET'S STORM THE CASTLE!

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Hi There Scarlet!  Great to have you storming the castle.

I have not been able to find your challenge thread...as I think that this is your battle log.

Will this be your first full challenge with NF?  If so, go to the Level 1 Rebels and sign in - and start a challenge thread...then come one over to the Storming the Castle thread and just say Hi, and post your thread there.  YOu have done a great job with this progress on your battle log - and great job NOT waiting until the beginning of the challenge!  That means that you have gumption!  Impressive!

What some do is they copy their workout posts from their challenge log right into their battle log - so that battle log is on going, while the challenge thread is guild specific and only for the 6 weeks.  it doesn't actually disappear...it just gives a great new start, so that we can focus on 6 weeks at a time.

So - 

Think it will work?

It'd take a miracle!

We'll never survive!

You're only saying that because no one ever has!

LET'S STORM THE CASTLE!

Thanks ChristArtist!

My sister actually signed me up for the Storming the Castle Thread with her (Sachiko), so I'm really excited that we can do this together!

10%
10%

Challenge #4

50%
50%

I'VE LOST 4 DAYS!

Day 8

I've been doing so bad the last few days!  My Birthday really through me for a loop.  My life is so crazy on the weekends to I really need to work on my consistency.  So excited to start my first 6 week challenge!  I was able to bring in my sister and my best friends to join me in the quest.  Storming The Castle!!!

10%
10%

Challenge #4

50%
50%

Good to meet you Scarlet legend!

Looks like you are picking yourself up after a rough weekend. I am doing the same! A few bad food choices are usually what details me eventually, but not this time!

You can do it!

To answer one of your questions above, a good nutrition goal for me was figuring out how many calories I needed in a day. After calculating and using the MFP recommendation of 1200, and bouncing around I found that 1600 was perfect for me. I know everyone is different but I think if you track and find the number that you do best with it can help make better choices when it comes to dining out with friends. Also, allowing yourself to eat one meal of whatever you want a week.

Glad to be storming the castle with you!!!! Good luck!

• Like 1

Level 2 Half-Elf Ranger

STR - 2 | DEX - 3 | STA - 4 | CON - 7 | WIS - 5.5 | CHA - 0

Current Challenge

#1, #2TWburn (MFP), FitForMyTwins

Weight Loss Meter : Starting 184.7 lbs, Goal: 140

13.65%
13.65%

"Imagine with all your mind.  Believe with all your heart.  Achieve with all your might."

Day 1&2 of Challenge #1

Well my first day of the challenge was really bad.  I woke up late, didn't go to bed on time, had breakfast at noon, and didn't even do my exercise.  :(

Today was much better because I got up on time, had my breakfast smoothie, and did my reading already.  It kind of sucks that I can't do my exercises in the morning because my two roommates wake up late in the day.  Oh well I tended to do them later in the evening anyway.

Question of the Day:  Is it better to do exercise in the morning or in the evening? Can you be burning calories in your sleep if you exercise before bed?

10%
10%

Challenge #4

50%
50%

Day 3 & 4 of Challenge #1

Today has gone very well.  My housemate did the BBW with me today.  So much fun!I got pretty tired though because I didn't do a warm up before hand.  I still can't do reall push ups but I upped my plank time by 5 seconds in the last circuit.

Quest 2 has been going well also since I harvested carrots from my garden I've been munching on those.  That's definitely one thing I love about being a hobbit, I can grow my own organic fruits and vegetables!

Quest 3 has been difficult at times to get to keep with bed time but waking up is fairly easy thanks to my traditional bell ringing alarm clock.

One thing I have noticed over the past week is that I have actually gained a few pounds instead of losing them.  I'm pretty sure this is because I have been building muscle though which is fine by me.  I do need to watch what I eat a little better though. (had In-n-Out for lunch today)

Thanks for the parkour support Christartist and Thister.  I'm thinking to put parkour training into my next challenge and probably something to do with pull-ups.  

Having fun Storming the Castle!

10%
10%

Challenge #4

50%
50%

Reading your progress has been so great! You're KILLING it! Way to go! :) 

• Like 1

Mother of Seven - eating adventure for breakfast

Former flabby half-orc, morphing into a human: Lost almost 50 pounds since February, working on that last 10!

Level 1 Super Slow Scout

STR 2 | STA 2 | CON 1 | WIS 1 | CHA 1

Battle Log for my first 6 Week Challenge

Battle Log for my second 6 Week Challenge

Personal Blog

Wow everyone is doing so much, it's really inspiring.

I feel like I haven't done as well as I had hoped because I haven't done the BWW all this week.  I guess that happens when your away from your house longer then you expected.

...Sigh

I have been learning time and time again that it is so hard to wait for things to happen, but things that are difficult happen slowly.  These things also seem to be the things that are truly important as well.

...sigh...

I feel like Rapunzel, so much time yet not truly freedom. 

10%
10%

Challenge #4

50%
50%

Wow everyone is doing so much, it's really inspiring.

I feel like I haven't done as well as I had hoped because I haven't done the BWW all this week.  I guess that happens when your away from your house longer then you expected.

...Sigh

I have been learning time and time again that it is so hard to wait for things to happen, but things that are difficult happen slowly.  These things also seem to be the things that are truly important as well.

...sigh...

I feel like Rapunzel, so much time yet not truly freedom. 

Just remember to only compare yourself to you.  Are you a better/stronger/faster hobbit today than yesterday?  If so, you're doing awesome!

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads

Wow I haven't updated this in forever.

After my routine got destroyed i just didn't come back.  ;_;

well i might as well start with the next challenge because i totally lost the last one.

This time I'm going to focus purely on diet.

• Like 1

10%
10%

Challenge #4

50%
50%

Hey Everyone! 
I got invited to do a Trithlon!!!
I'll be recording my journey here!
The triathlon is in March so I'm really going to need to work hard.

• Like 1

10%
10%

Challenge #4

50%
50%

Hey scarlet,

Good luck in your Training for the Mini Triathalon.

For a mini Triathalon (assuming 12-25mile ride) you probably wont need any kind of fancy bike a simple mountian bike will do (possible upgrade #1: mountina bike with lots of gears, upgrade #2: road bike). But make sure the bike fits you! 

Ride on!!

YellowRose

YellowRose

Half Elf- Level 2

(STR- 0) (STA- 2.25) (DEX- 2.25) (CON- 1.2) (WIS- 4) (CHA- 1)

Ranger (past druid)

Challanges: 1, 2, 3,

Current

Parva scintilla saepe magnam flamam excitat

- The small sparkle often initiates a large flame

Hey scarlet,

Good luck in your Training for the Mini Triathalon.

For a mini Triathalon (assuming 12-25mile ride) you probably wont need any kind of fancy bike a simple mountian bike will do (possible upgrade #1: mountina bike with lots of gears, upgrade #2: road bike). But make sure the bike fits you! 

Ride on!!

YellowRose

Thanks for the advice.  I'm horrible at riding a bike so I need all the help I can get.

So far I have only found a few cheap Crusers.  Is it essential to have a certain bike?  Would a mountain bike the the cheapest bike I can get without getting laughed at?

10%
10%

Challenge #4

50%
50%

I GOT MY BIKE!!!

(I'm not sure how to upload a picture of it)

It's a 26" Women's Mountain bike with gears.  I'm not sure how to use gears on a bike so if someone could explain it to me that would be awesome.

10%
10%

Challenge #4

50%
50%