Hello everyone, my name is Richard and I make cartoons.

I'm currently taking my final class to receive my Bachelor's of Fine Arts in Animation from school and I figure as I transition out of school and into a post-college chapter of life, I should also transition into a chapter of better physical fitness.

Well, I say that, but then again I've been exercising/dieting on and off for nearly 10 years now. But you know what they say; 300th time's the charm, right?

My hope is some accountability will keep me from procrastination in this area (I mean heck, I've had an unfinished email draft to Steve in my email folder since I signed up 2  years ago.)

WITH THAT OUT OF THE WAY. I'm a 24 year old male dude man with a height of 6'3", a weight of 250lbs and a beard of Lumberjack proportions.  I figure with these numbers and my frame, I'd go down the weightlifting warrior route. I imagine I'd enjoy picking up heavy things rather than running long distances. Cardio has been my main focus whenever I try to "get healthy" and has not worked out tremendously well, so maybe it's time for a different approach.

WAIT. I've signed up to a fitness site for NERDS.  I should probably back up my claim to nerdiness. WHELL, I'm an animator, if that wasn't already established, so I have an unhealthy affinity for cartoons of all sort, I also have been gaming ever since I can remember (my dad got an NES just a year before I was born, so I was gaming from the womb basically.) The games I tend to gravitate to are non-military FPS type games, (like Borderlands, L4D, Killing Floor, TF2 and the like) indie platformers, and puzzle games (somewhat combined in my current addiction: Gunpoint)

I hope that covers everything. Are there any other animators/artists on here? Any others who enjoy adventureously spicy foods?

Thanks for taking the time to read this novel!

• Like 1

EarlOfBiscuits

Level 0 Warrior

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Challenge Thread

Main Quest: Lose 50 pounds

8%
8%

Hi!

I am a newbie as well. I had the same struggle for the cardio thing. I would get results from the cardio workout but it was sooooooooooooo time consuming and not sustainable in the long run. I am also hoping the lifting thing works for me. But you, with your beard, you are destined to lift super heavy things! YOU CAN DO IT!

I am also an artist, but I just paint and build stuff up ahah. I looooove cartoons too :D.

Welcome and good luck! :D

Hi Sachiko!

That's so cool! I am like 4 weeks from graduating from SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design)

hey Jasonkoller, my work can be viewed on my website here www.richardhicks3D.com however everything I've finished so far is just class exercises unfortunately, BUT I'll be finishing my senior film, which is a 3D animated short, VERY soon and will be posting that there as well.

Edit: I made this monstrosity back in 2011

EarlOfBiscuits

Level 0 Warrior

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Challenge Thread

Main Quest: Lose 50 pounds

8%
8%

Oh man that is awesome!  I checked out the demo reel on your site, and I am jealous of your skills :)

As a fellow 6'4" bearded mutant, I fully support you in your quest to Lift All The Heavy Things.

Also, question based on your bio, but what's your favorite indie platformer?  Fez?  Spelunky?

• Like 1

If you dont like running for cardio I suggest looking into some interval training.

Cardio is just getting your heart rate up over a certain amount of time to a certain range.  This can be done by lifting weights and doing other exercises as well, not just by running.

Welcome as well!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)