• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

xanthe88

Questions for Warriors

Hi Everyone!

I just finished my first challenge and am thinking about joining the Warriors for my second but I need some advice. My last challenge was:

1) no grains, beans or legumes 6 days a week

2) no dairy 4 days a week

3) yoga or lift 3 days a week

(no alcohol 2 days a week)

But... I didn't get a gym pass in time. So, I've only been doing yoga. The next school pass starts Aug 12 (2 weeks into the next challenge). I haven't lifted since high school which was 7 yrs ago so I'm not sure what my goals should be.

I've read a lot of posts with goals to increase lifting weight but I'm not sure where I'll start out. What are some good general goals I could set? Any advice on what to do the first two weeks? (I'll be out of town on vacation so I was thinking bodyweight?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

You don't need free weights to get strong; body weight exercise are fantastic.  Have you checked out Waldo's profile?  The dude builds himself entirely from body weight.

As for goals, the body weight analog to adding plates is progressing your forms (knee push ups -> standard -> legs elevated -> 1 arm -> so forth).  I guess it depends on what you want to focus on!

• Like 1

Two weeks in a lifetime of training doesn't amount to anything. If you want to do some bodyweight work while you're out of town, then absolutely do it, but realize that it is inconsequential. Does the gym you are going to have squat racks and Olympic barbells? What do you want to do with your training? Are you just wanting to pick up some iron, do you want to get bigger, do you want to get stronger, etc?

I've read a lot of posts with goals to increase lifting weight but I'm not sure where I'll start out. What are some good general goals I could set? Any advice on what to do the first two weeks? (I'll be out of town on vacation so I was thinking bodyw

My advice.  Figure out what you like.  Try 2 weeks or a month or a few months of moving iron at a gym.  I'd recommend starting with SL 5x5 (it's a lifting program that is great for new lifters).  Keeps things very simple with a easy progression pattern.  See if you like lifting.

If you on vacation, try some BW exercises for a few weeks.  See which you like more.  As JPrev said, lifting iron isn't the only way to get strong.  If you like Yoga and BW stuff, stick with it. 

My only real advice is to try and get better in whatever you do.  I see so many people complain they aren't seeing change yet they've been doing the same Yoga classes / same runs / same workouts for years.  If you aren't changing / progressing / making your workouts harder, how will you ever get better? 

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice! I think I will start out with the stronglifts 5x5. I hate bodyweight excercises honestly but I thought they might fit in the warrior scheme for the beginning. If yoga counts, I'll do that instead.

So, maybe I'll keep my goals 'vague' again for this challenge. Something like:

1) Stronglifts 3X week

2) Yoga 1X week

3) Something diet related

and then next time worry about making specific goals for my lifts...

If you follow the strong lifts program, you'll actually have lift goals built-in anyway.  Early goals should always be about habits.  If you can keep to SL 3x a week, then after 6 weeks you'll have a ton of momentum and a good idea of how you progress through plates.  It'll make setting your own lift goals that much easier.

That's a great idea. I'll have to order those. I think I will just grade myself on whether I go do the workout or not instead of whether I can increase the weight ( in the spirit of habit building), at least for this round. I think I can work on adding 2.5 at a time though. That sounds much more doable than 5.

Just as an aside, sometimes it's important to push yourself. This is especially true for a novice lifter, as you don't really know what you're capable of yet. If you don't increase the weight on the bar every time, it's ok and there won't be any gods of lifting coming to strike you down for insolence. However, I think you'll be surprised to learn that you really can add weight to the bar every single session for a while.

As an example, I remember the first time I did barbell squats. I could barely get up and down the next few days. I thought, "I can barely move and there is no way I will be able to squat at all, let alone add 5 more lbs." Yet, I went to the gym anyway. As I started warming up, my soreness began to dissipate and sure enough I added 5 lbs to the bar and made all my reps. So, yes, building the habit is very important. I just want to say don't short change yourself because of doubt or feeling like you can't do it. You'll be amazed how quickly you can adapt during the first few months. Good luck!

Awesome sauce. I am quite nervous I will admit. I pushed myself to lift too much too quick on bench in high school (probably with bad form as well) and still can't do a pushup without pain. I just want to make sure I have proper form and a good base before I start worrying about numbers.

But if I feel good sore (not bad sore) I will definitely try adding some weight. :)

I'll go against the grain a little here and say that for me coming from a very sedentary lifestyle it was highly beneficial to start with about 3-4 months of bodyweight exercises to build a base of strength across my whole body before I started barbell lifting. This did include dumbbell work though, I followed the old NF Rebel Fitness Guide which existed before the Academy and found it excellent for whole body strength. 

As the others said it really depends what your goals are. Most of the warriors here seem to focus on Powerlifting, which is great and will get you strong for those lifts, but there are other options out there too. I really enjoy Olympic lifting but you might want to leave that for a little while and get strong with your big 3 lifts first. Having said that I think cleans are a really good way to get your squats and deads going in one session. 

There are 2 main goals for a beginner I think:

1. To support all your other lifting activities you should be developing a strong squat as a priority, it will help you with almost everything else. 

2. Do lifting you enjoy. If you hate what you're doing or you find it boring do something else instead that you do enjoy. (Note: finding something difficult is not the same as not enjoying it!)

Equipment:

1. If you can afford it, get a pair of lifting shoes for your squats, the brand doesn't matter that much but the shoes make a big difference. 

Approach:

1. No need to rush things, take a steady pace through your weight progression, in the early days it's most important to focus on form than getting up to big weights as quickly as possible. This will help you progress heavier in the long run and help you avoid injury. 

Anyway that's just my opinion, everyone has their own take on what works for them and I expect you will too as you try things out. 

How exciting to be starting out at lifting!  :positive:

Equipment:

1. If you can afford it, get a pair of lifting shoes for your squats, the brand doesn't matter that much but the shoes make a big difference.

Except Wei-Ruis from Maxbarbell. Don't waste your money. I bought a middle-of-the-road pair of Ristos and the difference is like night and day.

Also, doing cleans is good, but they really need either a shitload of practice or someone coaching them for them to go right. I still don't have a good looking clean.

Ok, sounds good. I am going to start bench with dumbells. I don't like bodyweight excercises but from yoga I can tell my other muscles are in good working order and I have worked up from doing girl pushup vinyasa to the full version for the entire class without pain. I think I'm ready to start with light weights.

As for form, my gym offers a pretty cheap first session with a trainer.  So once I get in the groove of things, ie figuring out about what weight and working on form myself, I think I'll do a session with a trainer to double check. Also, I will definitely check out the forum on forms and proceed to use and abuse it :)

Quick little update... I went to visit my sister over vacation and my nephew has a weight set. He's evidently been working as a 'trainer' for his buddies (he's 14 :) ).  Anyway, I decided to try the bar on bench since I had plently of spotters just to see if I could do it. It felt super light!! Looks like I'll be able to start with the bar after all. Sweet.

Just a caution, was his bar an Olympic bar? I had a home set with a small barbell in it, which I would guess was around 10 lbs or so when I was younger. Olympic barbells in the gym are 45 lbs.

Yep. It was an olympic bar. By super light, I mean super light compared to what I was anticipating. I was able to do 10 reps pretty easily. I think with the breaks a 5x5 will be doable.

Awesome. That's a great place to be able to start because I find dumbbell bench presses a bit more awkward since you have to get into position.