I get really depressed about my seeming lack of progress. I barely ever do heavy singles and my body comp hasn't improved dramatically in the last year or so.

Seriously contemplating quite a dramatic cut once the competition year is over and then running a long, slow bulk next year. I feel like I carry too much body fat to be efficient in my weight class.

How are the 10-rep squats doing?

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Learning how to teach lifts the CYQ way was depressing and demoralising (another lifter gave me a hug because we were both close to tears with how badly we were being told to teach lifts). Went to do some silly shizz to cheer myself up.

Out of curiosity, what are some examples of good ways to teach lifts, and what were you being taught? I'm intrigued! 

Also please do stick around. I've only just found your battle log and I did wonder why you didn't have a transformation page like Spezzy does. Reading your stuff reminds me that really it's about the long game. Put in the work every day, and results will come.  I get frustrated with still not being able to do a pull up. Just got to keep on working at it..

Have you found your battle log to help? Must be fun to look back on what you were doing this time last year?

Wannabe Half-Elf Ranger, Level 0

First Challenge, 2nd attempt

I've just realised I haven't posted my last few training logs. I'll get them up tonight.

Out of curiosity, what are some examples of good ways to teach lifts, and what were you being taught? I'm intrigued!

The teaching methods are actually pretty sound, it was the form taught that I disagree with. I was told that I had to apologise that I can't bench with a totally flat back because I'm so used to arching correctly that even not pushing for one my back curves on the bench.

Also please do stick around. I've only just found your battle log and I did wonder why you didn't have a transformation page like Spezzy does. Reading your stuff reminds me that really it's about the long game. Put in the work every day, and results will come. I get frustrated with still not being able to do a pull up. Just got to keep on working at it..

I suspect they just don't want to repeat the story that "woman loses weight and lifts weights" plus I'm so vocally not paleo that it doesn't fit in with the blog's ethos.

I've only been able to consistently do pull ups since I started pole dancing six months ago. Don't beat yourself up about it, they're not easy and have to be trained consistently to make progress.

Have you found your battle log to help? Must be fun to look back on what you were doing this time last year?

I should look back more often, particularly when I'm grinding away like at the moment. I see other people making progress and get so jealous but I just have to hope that there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Maybe Steve just don't know you? I mean not writting about you because you're not paleo wouldn't be open minded (and I am sure he somewhere said that there is always more than one way to achieve your goal). Also I think there can't be enough examples for women who get strong. Especially when you look at all those dudes who get a story for losing weight. Last but not least you are a great example for consistency.

I hope you don't mind me asking, was NF the or a reason for you to start lifting or did you already had your coach before coming here?

I hope you don't mind me asking, was NF the or a reason for you to start lifting or did you already had your coach before coming here?

NF was a massive part of me starting lifting and continuing to do so, I already had the idea in my head from interactions on MFP but Spezzy's story was inspiration on the way. I only picked up a coach when I'd already been lifting a year and felt that I'd benefit from more expert advice (because I was starting to go backwards on 5/3/1 after a final stall on StrongLifts).

Bummer if you leave, but certainly do understand. This place is very cliquish - spezzy gets a disproportionate share of support both because of the long term (and often meatspace) relationships developed here, combined with the adoration of all of the new folks thanks to the popularity of her front page story. I don't think comments like "omg spezzy wilks amazing" are meant as slights to you or tankweazel or any of our other fine lady lifters, it's more just unconscious bias. Probably doesn't make you feel any better about hanging around here though, and I get that.

I've taken a few breaks from the forum myself, and I think they've been good for me. I find myself venturing less and less outside of chosen challenge/battle log threads, because I do agree that the general attitude around here isn't what it once was. Whatever you decide, know that I'm fully in support of you kicking ass on the international stage :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cheated, I was already an international level lifter when I joined.  I just hadn't heard about this till SS pointed me here.  I frequented other nerdy fitness places but kept my head down.  Not really famous on any of those either, or so I thought, had a lot of people talking to me at the World Classic about how they started competing because of Fitocracy and me.

I don't know SS, between you and Tankweazel, you have kept me inspired and wanting to be more than a fat chick that can squat a tiny little weight!

I watch your numbers going up and share your laughter at a new PR' and frustration at missed attempts and love how you and Tankweazel post your lifts both training and competing we get to see the good, the bad and whatever it is you are doing on the pole!

I can't speak for anyone else but I would definitely miss you and your honesty.

Plus "light and fluffy" is awesome. :)

I'm still getting my head around stuff like this and people walking up to me at comps or in gyms I'm visiting to say hi and get a picture.  I'm not Brett Gibbs or Owen Hubbard but I'm getting there slowly.

"Gentle means tired."

Battle Log / Youtube Channel / (lol am an..) Athlete Page

Level 4 Halfling Monk: STR - 181 | DEX - 12.5 | STA - 4.5 | CON - 6 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 7

Saturday 14/6:

Squats:

(20kg x10)
(40kg x10)
(60kg x5)
(80kg x5)
92.5kg x6x4

Bench:

(20kg x10)
(40kg x10)
55kg x6x4

Deadlift:

(60kg x5)
(80kg x5)
95kg x6x4

Sunday 14/6:

Pole and lots of stretching/rolling as glute/piriformis hates me.

Monday 15/6:

Ashtanga yoga

Tuesday 16/6:

Cycling c. 5 minutes

Squats:

(20kg x10)
(40kg x10)
(60kg x5)
(80kg x5)
100kg x5x5

Got easier as the sets went on.

Bench:

(20kg x10)
(40kg x10)
(50kg x5)
57.5kg x5x5

Chose the worst possible top to wear to bench in. I need to relegate it to the "yoga only" pile. Otherwise easy.

Block deadlifts:

(60kg x5)
(80kg x5)
102.5kg x5x2 (beltless)
102.5kg x5x3 (didn't want to push my luck)

Dumbbell shoulder press:

10kg x20x2

Chest supported dumbbell row:

10kg x20x2

Cycling c. 5 minutes

Stretching x some.

Wednesday 17/6:

Pole

Thursday 18/6:

Squats:

(20kg x10)
(40kg x10)
(60kg x5)
(80kg x5)
90kg x3x4

Bench:

(20kg x10)
(40kg x10)
(50kg x5)
57.5 x6x2, x5x3

Got slightly mixed up so did an extra rep on the first two sets. Feeling a bit tougher today than Tuesday, but push-ups at pole last night may not have helped.

Pendlay Row:

(40kg x5)
50kg x5x5

Shoulder press:

23kg x20x2

Lat pulldown:

22.5kg x20, 27.5kg x20

Stretching and shizz.

NF was a massive part of me starting lifting and continuing to do so, I already had the idea in my head from interactions on MFP but Spezzy's story was inspiration on the way. I only picked up a coach when I'd already been lifting a year and felt that I'd benefit from more expert advice (because I was starting to go backwards on 5/3/1 after a final stall on StrongLifts).

What was your programming like on 531? I only ask because there's a ridiculous amount of options, and not all of them work for everybody. I have to be very careful that my squat doesn't go backwards on 531, because just one squat session a weak doesn't cut it.

Level 0 Warrior

Amateur Powerlifter, Cricket nerd, Geek.

Battle log

Current 6 week challenge

What was your programming like on 531? I only ask because there's a ridiculous amount of options, and not all of them work for everybody. I have to be very careful that my squat doesn't go backwards on 531, because just one squat session a weak doesn't cut it.

I was doing the base programme with boring but big and one lift a day rather than mixing them up. There wasn't really enough meaningful volume for me and squatting and benching once a week really didn't work for me.

It's all pretty irrelevant now. I carried on 5/3/1 doing bench and close grip bench for a while, Russian Squat Masters and something else for deadlift (can't remember what) and entirely handed over to my coach. I kinda prefer not doing my own programming for now because I can't over-think it. I just go in, lift and worry about the rest later.

• Like 2

I was doing the base programme with boring but big and one lift a day rather than mixing them up. There wasn't really enough meaningful volume for me and squatting and benching once a week really didn't work for me.

It's all pretty irrelevant now. I carried on 5/3/1 doing bench and close grip bench for a while, Russian Squat Masters and something else for deadlift (can't remember what) and entirely handed over to my coach. I kinda prefer not doing my own programming for now because I can't over-think it. I just go in, lift and worry about the rest later.

Ah, yeah. I'm doing BBB, but split days, so BBB deadlifts on squat days, etc. Means I'm getting to do each lift twice a week, which is an improvement over everything else I've run for all lifts except Squat.

I definitely understand about the over thinking of programming. I'm also prone to seeing what programs others are running and deciding that I want to do it too because it looks fun. I think from next year I'm going to start programming my training in a more tailored way, and spend the next 6 months really learning about programming principles, which will be a great headstart into my potential career change into coaching.

Level 0 Warrior

Battle log

Current 6 week challenge

I get jealous of other people's programmes when they're maxing once a month or so and constantly see new PBs. I only really max for competition and spend ages building up in between.

Don't get me wrong. Just because I hand over and do what I'm told doesn't mean that I'm not trying to learn about programming, I just appreciate looking beyond the standard 5x5 and 5/3/1 to something a little more tailored to goals and weaknesses.

I get jealous of other people's programmes when they're maxing once a month or so and constantly see new PBs. I only really max for competition and spend ages building up in between.

Don't get me wrong. Just because I hand over and do what I'm told doesn't mean that I'm not trying to learn about programming, I just appreciate looking beyond the standard 5x5 and 5/3/1 to something a little more tailored to goals and weaknesses.

It's hard to remind ourselves that you can't set new PBs all the time when others around you are doing just that. I was killing myself on 5x5 to achieve that myself.

Level 0 Warrior

Battle log

Current 6 week challenge

Debating leaving the forums again. I get really fed up from time to time and start feeling angry and generally unhelpful (and seldom find that the forums are helpful to me).

It seems petty, but I really want to drive towards being an international level lifter and feel that sometimes these forums rip people down if they're ambitious (and aren't Spezzy).

Don't get me wrong, I like Spezzy, I just hate the attitude that she's the only one alllowed to be a successful female powerlifter on here.

I started lifting here, I worked my goddamned ass off to get to where I am now (even if I'm still not where I want to be), and I want to be surrounded by people who will lift me up rather than tear me down.

I can't speak specifically to anyone tearing you down (I don't get into every thread obviously) but I really hope that isn't happening and if it is, let some Site Admins know.  I've seen plenty of conversations stopped on these boards for various inappropriate reasons.  And (I really hope this isn't the case), an admin of the site doing it, I'd start a convo with another Admin (list here). 

That said, NF isn't going to be helpful to you. Why? Because NF isn't a community of people who are competitive internationally.  Whether you want to admit or not, you are in the upper 1% of the NF community strength-wise.  You are already pretty damn elite and have some really lofty goals which is awesome.  But I just wouldn't expect that NF is going to be the place to get advice and tweaks to get there.

We can (and will) admire the shit out of your badass lifts and say "DEM QUADS!" or whatever super beastly muscle you are showing off that day, but that's about the extent of it.  Don't get me wrong.  Sometimes, that is nice in and of itself. 

Bummer if you leave, but certainly do understand. This place is very cliquish - spezzy gets a disproportionate share of support both because of the long term (and often meatspace) relationships developed here, combined with the adoration of all of the new folks thanks to the popularity of her front page story. I don't think comments like "omg spezzy wilks amazing" are meant as slights to you or tankweazel or any of our other fine lady lifters, it's more just unconscious bias. Probably doesn't make you feel any better about hanging around here though, and I get that.

I've taken a few breaks from the forum myself, and I think they've been good for me. I find myself venturing less and less outside of chosen challenge/battle log threads, because I do agree that the general attitude around here isn't what it once was. Whatever you decide, know that I'm fully in support of you kicking ass on the international stage :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x2. Remember, a lot of the people who have been around NF for awhile have met personally at various meet-ups. It's a little easier to want to stay connected to people / things when you actually know them. Spezzy's been at most of those meet-ups. 

Also, don't get me wrong on this whole thing.  I'm 100% there with you.  It's disheartening to throw up loads and loads of content about your training and how you think you are doing great, only to come back to your thread and see ZERO comments about anything.  It's makes you wonder why you even do it, right?  Been there many times.  And really you are the only person who can answer that.  Personally, my answer was I just stopped caring if people responded.  I'll take care of the leaderboards and post in my battle log and if people want to be interested, great.  If not, great.  My battle log is for me.  But that's just me, and maybe I'm completely off-base on what's bugging you.

Side note... if active threads is what you are looking for, one thing I have noticed is that you will get more activity on Challenge threads, then Battle Logs.  It's just a more active section of the forum. 

All that said, I hope you stick around, because it's sweet watching you be all super beasty.  And let the haters hate.  You keep kicking ass and doing your thing.  It's gotta be for you anyway if you want to get your goals. 

• Like 1

It's hard to remind ourselves that you can't set new PBs all the time when others around you are doing just that. I was killing myself on 5x5 to achieve that myself.

I suppose new PBs should be all the sweeter when they're rare.

I can't speak specifically to anyone tearing you down (I don't get into every thread obviously) but I really hope that isn't happening and if it is, let some Site Admins know.  I've seen plenty of conversations stopped on these boards for various inappropriate reasons.  And (I really hope this isn't the case), an admin of the site doing it, I'd start a convo with another Admin (list here).

I'm probably being over-sensitive.

That said, NF isn't going to be helpful to you. Why? Because NF isn't a community of people who are competitive internationally.  Whether you want to admit or not, you are in the upper 1% of the NF community strength-wise.  You are already pretty damn elite and have some really lofty goals which is awesome.  But I just wouldn't expect that NF is going to be the place to get advice and tweaks to get there.

I think I still live in the headspace of "if I can do it then it can't be that great", which is probably just a sign of my low self-esteem. Not going to help me much in touting for sponsors!

We can (and will) admire the shit out of your badass lifts and say "DEM QUADS!" or whatever super beastly muscle you are showing off that day, but that's about the extent of it.  Don't get me wrong.  Sometimes, that is nice in and of itself. 

x2. Remember, a lot of the people who have been around NF for awhile have met personally at various meet-ups. It's a little easier to want to stay connected to people / things when you actually know them. Spezzy's been at most of those meet-ups.

I guess that's why I go out of my way to try to meet other British Nerds or visiting Nerds, but it just isn't feasible for those of us not in the USA or Canada to get in with the "in crowd" really, which is sort of sad.

Also, don't get me wrong on this whole thing.  I'm 100% there with you.  It's disheartening to throw up loads and loads of content about your training and how you think you are doing great, only to come back to your thread and see ZERO comments about anything.  It's makes you wonder why you even do it, right?  Been there many times.  And really you are the only person who can answer that.  Personally, my answer was I just stopped caring if people responded.  I'll take care of the leaderboards and post in my battle log and if people want to be interested, great.  If not, great.  My battle log is for me.  But that's just me, and maybe I'm completely off-base on what's bugging you.

Side note... if active threads is what you are looking for, one thing I have noticed is that you will get more activity on Challenge threads, then Battle Logs.  It's just a more active section of the forum. 

All that said, I hope you stick around, because it's sweet watching you be all super beasty.  And let the haters hate.  You keep kicking ass and doing your thing.  It's gotta be for you anyway if you want to get your goals.

Every now and again Sam Ashen and Tankweazel kick my ass to stop me moping. It's all good. :)

• Like 1

At the risk of sounding like a crazy stalker, I love reading your battle log. I don't post much, partly because I don't know much about powerlifting competitions and partly because there are only so many times you can post "you're awesome" before you look a bit cuckoo. But honestly I think you are one of the most inspiring and genuine people on NF. Seeing your workout logs make me wish I could do what you do and that pushes me to try harder. I don't think I'll ever be lifting as much as you do, but a girl can dream can't she? 

• Like 3

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Ditto on what BlimeyCharlie said.

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

Maybe we should all become competitive internationally!  :playful: SS if you wait two years or so, I'll be getting closer to your level! 

All that said, I hope you stick around, because it's sweet watching you be all super beasty.  

Yeah totally!! 

Wannabe Half-Elf Ranger, Level 0

First Challenge, 2nd attempt