Thursday 5 January:

BW: 67.5kg (UGH)

Sumo (3ct to knee, 2ct pause, 3ct eccentric): 70kg x4, x3x5, x1

Finally twigged that the way to control the 3ct to knee phase is to push my feet downwards and outwards into the floor rather than thinking about pulling or standing up. Only down side is that my shoulders were dropping forward again so really need to work on that (possibly widen my grip too).

Pause squats:

(20kg x5x2) (With new hip circle.)

(50kg x5) (With new hip circle)

(70kg x5)

90kg x3 @6

100kg x3 @7.5 (Felt harder than expected on the last rep so Jaymul suggested just doing 105)

105kg x3 @7.5 (Felt easier than expected but could not be arsed doing another set above... I'm a lazy cow and should have)

100kg x3

95kg x4

90kg x3

Got called out on my knees by coach so trying to warm up with the hip circle. Kinda need to get back into doing glute work for physiotherapy reasons anyway, so will probably use the hip circle on a daily basis to do the glute exercises prescribed to me two years ago!

Spoto press:

(20kg x10)

(40kg x5)

60kg x3 @6

67.5kg x3 @7

75kg x3 @8 (Rep 2 went weird but rep 3 was piss easy again)

72.5kg x3

70kg x3

67.5kg x3

Really trying to focus on pulling in with my back (as instructed) but not quite there yet. Dialled back the weight a bit but possibly need to dial back further.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

Only down side is that my shoulders were dropping forward again so really need to work on that (possibly widen my grip too).

This is interesting because 5trong (JP Cauchi) recommends dropping your shoulders if you struggle more off the ground than at lockout. As it's sumo I don't know where you struggle more, but it's interesting to see the different opinions out there from the various world class coaches who offer their services.

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

2 minutes ago, Juni0r83 said:

This is interesting because 5trong (JP Cauchi) recommends dropping your shoulders if you struggle more off the ground than at lockout. As it's sumo I don't know where you struggle more, but it's interesting to see the different opinions out there from the various world class coaches who offer their services.

Interesting. I'm still new to sumo but it was something I was constantly chastised for conventional.

• Like 1

Saturday 7 January:

BW: 66.0kg (Noice!)

Sumo w.3ct eccentric: 70kg x3x6 

Actually remembered/bothered to stretch before and it made positioning a lot easier.

Paused deadlift:

(70kg x5)

(90kg x5)

100kg x5 @6

110kg x6 @7 (PB)

115kg x5 @8 (PB)

110kg x5

105kg x5

100kg x5

Fully expected to 110kg to be my @8 but I miscounted and it was still at least 2 reps in the bank so went up to 115kg and think I still could have pulled more (but it wouldn't be @8).

Incline bench:

(20kg x5)

(30kg x5)

(40kg x5)

45kg x5 @6

50kg x5 @7

55kg x5 @8

52.5kg x5

50kg x5

47.5kg x5

Again felt easier than expected to so pushed it harder. Really pleased with today!

Lat pulldown: 41kg x12x2, 36kg x12x2

Face pulls: 32kg x12x4 (PB)

Tricep pushdowns: 18kg x12x4 (PB) 

Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 10kg x12

Lateral Raises: 4kg x12

Bicep Curls: 6kg x20

(Other three sets ditched because I was starving and tired.)

• Like 1

Thought I was following here already, but guess not!

Sounds like you're (finally???) getting some feedback from the new coach, also sounds like you're enjoying it and pushing! (Push it goooood lalala.)

How are you finding the sumo? We did a bit of it as an accessory, my first time. Quite liked it and my positioning was better BUT I had a hard time keeping the bar close using mixed grip - and my hook grip doesn't go much above 120 right now, coach doesn't think it's worth switching because it'll take too long to get it up there (but I may secretly work on my grip anyway, muahahaha).

• Like 2
2 hours ago, evabo said:

Thought I was following here already, but guess not!

Sounds like you're (finally???) getting some feedback from the new coach, also sounds like you're enjoying it and pushing! (Push it goooood lalala.)

How are you finding the sumo? We did a bit of it as an accessory, my first time. Quite liked it and my positioning was better BUT I had a hard time keeping the bar close using mixed grip - and my hook grip doesn't go much above 120 right now, coach doesn't think it's worth switching because it'll take too long to get it up there (but I may secretly work on my grip anyway, muahahaha).

I'm taking lumps out of my thighs with my nails so I think I'm keeping it close so far, but it's all really light and technique-focused so far so I'll see how it goes. :)

I had the advantage of having a while where all my deadlifts were really light due to injury so it gave me time to build up my hook grip. I'm glad I did but my nails have never forgiven me. 

I think we all just get unsubbed regularly. It sucks! 

I'm really enjoying things with Screamer so far. See how it goes longer-term but I'm finding out that other people have had similar problems with my old coach, so that makes me feel better. 

• Like 2

Went to my first figure skating lesson in 20 years today (probably more than that). Got moved up to the level 3 class within about 20 minutes, so that was good. I'm going to try to go every Sunday and hope to move up to Level 4 next month. :) 

Not quite sure I can do all the Level 3 stuff but not far off it. :)http://www.iceskating.org.uk/index.cfm/learn-to-skate/skate-uk/skate-uk-basic-skills-programme/

• Like 1

Monday 9 January:

BW: 66.5kg

Sumo (3ct to knee, 2ct pause, fast lock out, 3ct eccentric): 70kg x3x6

Squat:

(20kg x5x2) with hip circle

(50kg x5) with hip circle

(80kg x5)

(100kg x3)

(110kg x1)

(120kg x1) Felt really tough so almost called it at that

127.5kg x1 @RPE 8 Felt pretty similar to 120kg

100kg x6x6 LOLZ cardio

Feel like my line isn't great with squat at the moment. Because my wrists were playing up. I've been wearing wraps but I HATE them and feel like they totally throw off my upper back tightness. Totally psyching myself out at times with squats when I shouldn't. I decided to ask Isabella von Weissenberg if she ever gets freaked out about squats (after she squatted 170kgx6 @72kg) and found her response quite heartening. I'll get there. Getting under a heavier bar at least once a week will really help get my confidence up.

65ddf35e2c3b50df715204c33d683459.jpg

Bench:

(20kg x10)

(40kg x5)

(60kg x3)

(70kg x1)

75kg x1 @ RPE 7.5

65kg x5x5 (or 6) Totally lost count of sets so may have done 6 rather than 5 but definitely did more than 4.

Really trying to pull in my back but need to practice. I've been getting really lazy.

Skipped accessories because the gym was closing.

• Like 2

Today's news: regardless of whether I'm selected for the team, I'm going to be in South Africa from 9-29 September! Booked flights this morning. :D 

In other news, some total wazzock tried to drive his HGV over a high bridge which was closed to HGVs due to high winds and that didn't go well. The truck flew, the bridge has been closed for 13 hours and counting and travel on the east coast of Scotland has ground to a halt. ARGH!

• Like 3

South Africa!!!!! EPIC!!! Can't wait to see pictures :D And wtf truck. I was wondering what those travel updates on FB were about! Hope it gets sorted quickly!