Star Magazine Made Me Rage Inside!

So I might be a little late on this news, but I don't obsessively look at the latest celebrity gossip magazines.  I look at them if a family friend hands over some old issues that are months or years back, or I look at the latest ones in the waiting room at the doctor's or dentist's office.  I usually just skim the pages and look mostly at the fashion pages.

I was at the doctor's office yesterday and picked up the latest issue for Star Magazine.  I was just browsing, skimming some of the silly gossip pages, when I landed on a page claiming that Jessica Simpson was too ripped from working to trim down for her wedding!  I know celebrity magazines are sooooo fond of criticizing celebrities on their body and weight (especially if they're overweight), but I was baffled that they would make such a complaint and just got increasingly more offended as I read the page.

They were talking about how she's starting to look like a man, but worst of all, she's starting to look like she can, gasp, bench press the groom!  The horror!

I took a picture to show what offended me so much about the article, more so in case I couldn't find it on the Internet.

Luckily, Jezebel.com did catch the article and pretty much summed up everything that was making me rage about this article!

http://jezebel.com/youll-never-guess-whats-wrong-with-jessica-simpsons-bod-1596024905

So first women need to be criticized for being overweight and then they're criticized for being underweight!  Now they're being criticized if they're too fit?!!

They weren't happy when Jessica was 180 pounds, now they can't congratulate her for her successful weight loss?!  In my personal opinion, she looks great!  I'd love to have her legs!

If I had a twitter account, I'd start one of those hashtag campaigns, telling Star Magazine, and every other magazine for that matter, to knock it off!

• Like 1

<p>Gwenhwyfar, level 0 Wild elf adventurerSTR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

Yeah...  Maybe I'm a little silly for letting it get to me, but still felt good to let it out.  :)  Thanks!

Still...  People are influenced by the media, sub-consciously or not, so maybe it is good to be a little concerned about it...  I dunno...

• Like 1

Yeah...  Maybe I'm a little silly for letting it get to me, but still felt good to let it out.  :)  Thanks!

Still...  People are influenced by the media, sub-consciously or not, so maybe it is good to be a little concerned about it...  I dunno...

It's not silly to recognize that it's ridiculous and to be concerned. I just meant don't let it work you up or discourage you. :)

Magazines try to sell an idea that is impossible–perfection. As a society we vote with our dollars, and magazines such as this one will only get the message when we stop buying in to it. Calling them out like Slate did only gives them more attention or traffic to their website. I'm rambling though. :P

• Like 2

^^  Thanks!

Guess I was getting all worked up for nothing.  There is a reason, after all, why I read less and less celebrity magazines as I get older.  It's just the same trash every time; recycled and revamped.

Also, who's Slate?  Lol!

Lol, I see.  Yeah, I don't know too many magazines, or fancy websites like that.

I generally skim through Women's Magazine and Women First because my mom buys them so often, lol.  She hasn't been buying many lately though.

This is exactly why I hate womens magazines. One page it says "You must love yourself" next page "You must lose weight or no man will ever love you. You can't eat a proper meal ever again".

I stopped reading them before I ever really got into the habit of reading them and for that I am glad.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Previous challenges:7, 6 5, 4,  3. 2, 1

I am the one thing in life I can control

Years ago, I'd pick up some "women's" magazine or another every once in a while. Eventually I caught on that it's the same old stuff over and over, and as you all previously mentioned, all they do is tell us we're never good enough.

I read through the article in the OP and then clicked on the link to a previous Star article about "bulging muscles look mannish" or whatever garbage it was. First of all, those ladies look fantastic. Secondly, somewhere in there or in the comments, the idea of guys not wanting to snuggle with us strong ladies was mentioned; I'm happy to report that not only is my guy totally cool with the fact that I'm into strength training, but it's helped motivate him to buy a bike, start jogging, and get and start using a gym membership himself! XD

Ok, I'm done bragging now. ;)

Just agreeing that these magazines are crap, and anyone who honestly feels that our bodies always need to be "fixed" is probably not someone you need to be listening to.

• Like 1

Barbells are a girl's best friend.

When I see headlines like that and comments about "bulging muscles look mannish", I just think back to my time spent working in a Target stockroom and all the wonderful things my muscles enabled me to do for myself and customers, and have a good laugh. Then I laugh some more at the strong possibility that the women pictured in linked articles have smaller body measurments than the writer.

• Like 1

It makes me homicidally enraged whenever a woman is compared to a man and then made to feel unattractive for showing her physical strength. It's like oh so you're applauded for being big strong man, me on the other hand must NEVER be strong because what? It fucks with your ego? You're too insecure to cuddle with a woman who is also really strong? Shit drives me insane!

Don't even get me started on women who do it to each other "you look really…. buff" I hate that shit too. Strenuously.

one of the comments- hysterical.

I kind of love it. 

Agreed- article slamming her is bogus and rubbish.  Women can't win these days. 

• Like 2

Among other things, articles like that really do reflect an attitude that's pervasive in our society - the idea that women can never get it right but should constantly be aiming to be visually pleasing to every stranger that catches sight of them. 

I hear the same thing when women complement me on my muscular legs and arms and ask how I got them, but then after they hear my description of my workouts and nutrition they say "oh no, I wouldn't ever want to lift heavy weights or workout like that because I don't want to get bulky/big/muscly/manly." They like the look on me, but can't imagine feeling good about it if it were them. In the same conversation they've managed to bemoan their lack of muscle and also express fear of gaining muscle. 

I know that I look "too bulky" for a lot of women's tastes and that some men are intimidated or turned off by women who sweat and have muscle and don't need them to carry all the heavy stuff. But I'm taking Dumbledore's advice and not holding out for universal popularity. Hopefully Jessica Simpson's doing the same. 

• Like 1

That reminds me of a story my mom told me of when she was in nursing school and had to do some work in a psych ward for credit hours. There was this guy that constantly had his eyes closed, and he constantly complained about not being able to see. When asked why he didn't simply open his eyes, he said he was afraid that would be able to see.

I just realized that the majority of women have a psychologically insane view of strength and muscles. They want to have a lean, muscular look, but don't want to lift heavy weights, because they are afraid of having a muscular appearance.

• Like 1

Tabloids / "women's magazines" are a trend that just need to roll over and slowly fade away to non-existence.

Maybe if stores stopped putting them right by the aisles where people instinctually browse while waiting in line.... they practically jump at you. In fact, I used to work at a grocery store and there was one magazine that was positioned in such a way that it'd constantly fall down on the belt when people would put their groceries up. More often than not, when I ask if they meant to put it with their stuff, they seem to go through some kind of swift mental process and then around 50% decide to get it anyways.

I guess people just need to become smarter, stronger, and more aware of their psyches than the marketing strategies of society give them credit for. But in a society that's geared to wear a person down in order for them to emotionally consume.... well, of course things are the way they seem to be and tabloids are doing just fine when it comes to keeping their bizness afloat (not to mention the hollywood industries support them). Hmmm.

This is exactly why I hate womens magazines. One page it says "You must love yourself" next page "You must lose weight or no man will ever love you. You can't eat a proper meal ever again".

I stopped reading them before I ever really got into the habit of reading them and for that I am glad.

And on the page after that "Here's a recipe for delicious brownies" with a huge picture.

• Like 4

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

You know, I never understood the whole - "Muscles on women are bad" thing.

I grew up with an athletic, weight-lifting dad who could carry me hanging off one arm until I was in middle school.  All I ever wanted was to be just like him in that respect.

I mean honestly, how awesome would it be to swing someone around and make it seem effortless?  Or carry all the groceries in at the same time, he-man style?

I can do the groceries but my kids take two arms right now.

Muscle wasn't scary, muscle made you strong.  I've always loved the idea of being strong.

So yeah, the female fear of muscles confuses me.

As far as magazines go, I find them inane for the most part.  Though I did have Runner's World for a little while but I barely read it, so no more magazines for me.

• Like 2

I'm def not seeing the "too ripped" thing. I mean I have a personal preference that I think would be "too much" for ME and what I personally find the most attractive on other women, but she doesn't even come close and I have no personal interest in the competitions where people are jacked. Even if she were jacked, it's her body so unless SHE thinks its "too much", it's not.

Having said that, I've never understood the "looks like a man" thing. Most of the men I see everyday are overweight with beer bellies to some varying degree. I don't see her beer belly in that picture, and even if she had one, most men don't wear dresses and heels, so...