Mini-Challenges (Please Follow)

Teros

I vacuumed my floor today. I feel invincible. 

• Like 7

Stonie

They/Them

Currently reading: Good Omens by Terry Pratchet & Neil Gaiman

Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox)

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit

Teros, thank you for an EXCELLENT job on mini challenges.  Every one has been helpful, engaging, and a new way to grow.  I'm SOOOO impressed you did a Spartan race!  I'm working toward a Warrior Dash, and those are much lower pressure (and don't require burpees!)

I faced a medium sized fear this week.  I shattered my ankle several years ago when I missed a step in the dark, and I've been afraid of walking in the dark ever since.  This week, I did a couple of my daily walks at night.  There was enough moonlight to see fine, but I was still pretty scared.

Kudos to EVERYONE who faced a fear.  I've been so inspired reading about your progress this week.

• Like 7

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

STR:  11.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 12.75 | CON: 7.0 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5

Intro & Challenge Summary

Challenges:   1  2  3  4  5  6 7

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

Well yesterday I was super nervous about jumping my horse D: but we did it and it was good :)  

I also posted a thread asking for help outside the challenges which is pretty big for me. I hate to do that in case I get judged or I say something stupid. 

I still want to get out to get a bikini but with the increase in riding time I am not sure I will make it this week. I might go Sunday after I finish riding.

• Like 3

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

I might sign up for a tough mudder. I've always been nervous about doing one. Just need the money. [emoji3][emoji2]

• Like 1

Fetchling Warrior, Level 2

str-9 dex-2 sta-3 con-4 wis-3 cha-3

Battle log!

Fitocracy!

555LB CLUB @ UNIVERSITY:

75%
75%

50 Push-ups at Once:

50%
50%

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?â€

“For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.â€

― The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Everyone is so inspiring here! I still haven't decided completely, but I have some things around work that I could do to face my fears. 

1) Put my hand inside the large cricket bin without gloves (I work in a pet shop).

2) Hold the Ball Python (not scared, just a tad nervous as I have never held a snake before). I would have said a corn or milk snake, but those guys (especially the Milk snake) are a tad more aggressive. Maybe by the week's end I'll be able to :)

I'm kinda jealous, I want snake cuddles! (The cricket bin idea gives me the shivers though.) Good luck!

Level 4 Adventurer

STR 6 | DEX 2 | STA 6 | CON 8 | WIS 10 | CHA 5

current challenge

third challenge | second challenge | first challenge

My first mini challenge on the site but: Music. I know how that sounds.

I've always wanted to play, but an issue with my hands prevents me from playing most things, so I only really looked into it recently.  I have a guitar that I got when my brother cleaned up his place to move and opted to get rid of it, and I've got an inline ocarina I bought a few years ago, plus books on how to play them. Some chords will probably always elude me, but the simple I can play 3-fingered and the ocarina just works.

Downside is that, whatever the reason (I have guesses), I'm hugely self-conscious about playing and I'm almost never really alone when at home. Neither are at all quiet, so someone will always hear, and the best (and most often) scenario is that I'll very suddenly have an audience. Trying to be supportive, I know, but really, really not helping. 

So, this weekend, I'll plan to pick one of them up and get through a few lessons, regardless, and maybe get past the barrier so I can really learn. 

• Like 5

Level 2 Werebear Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 1 | Sta: 3 | Con: 4 | Wis: 1 | Cha: 1

Challenges: Past 1; Current

My Trip to Mordor. 

3.44%
3.44%

Currently my fear is graduating my course, because it means the end of two years of safety and comfort zone. I'm going to have to go out into the real world. 

I faced this fear by finishing an overdue assignment and I'm about to go to class. This scares me anyway because I have to hand in my late (!) assignment and face my teacher's disappointment. 

I'm a pretty anxious person and it's been really hard for me lately to face this. Hopefully this small step will lead to other small steps and I'll graduate feeling accomplished and ready to take on the world. Or at least live in it without the safety blanket of school. 

• Like 3

that girl writes

race: awesome/class: ranger

I post a lot on instagram

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do."

This challenge has put me in a bad mood all week. I think what I'm scared of is self reflection. Asking myself the question what and why. Wondering if the life I'm living is something I'll look back on and say "I lived a life well spent". So in a small step to conquer some of those fears I went to a local dive shop and signed up for scuba diving lessons. I dove once when I was in Vietnam and I loved it but since then I've put on a lot of weight. I went in there nervous that I would get "the look" and be told that I was too big. After talking for a little bit I finally nervously inquired "Am I too big to dive?". Surprisingly the answer was no. My classes won't be for a couple of months when me and the people I want to take the class with will both have time to do it, but I wanted to do something this week in the spirit of this challenge. While I'm thrilled that I took this step it has lead to some more questions about what am I scared of doing and why am I not doing them. While this is a great challenge it has almost made me too introspective to the point of paralysis. But you know what? Screw Acerbus, I'm catching onto his tricks and I'm pushing forward. I'm changing my what am I not doing and why into what am I going to do and how. So I'll have my diving license next year and I'll keep going to do my dream of diving in Bonne Terre a flooded mine that your able to dive in. You know I'm feeling better already just getting this off my chest. Good challenge.

• Like 3

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

This challenge has put me in a bad mood all week.

While this is a great challenge it has almost made me too introspective to the point of paralysis. But you know what? Screw Acerbus, I'm catching onto his tricks and I'm pushing forward. I'm changing my what am I not doing and why into what am I going to do and how. So I'll have my diving license next year and I'll keep going to do my dream of diving in Bonne Terre a flooded mine that your able to dive in. You know I'm feeling better already just getting this off my chest. Good challenge.

This is the reason a lot of people have addictions.  Our collective drug of choice around here is bad food. For others, it's drinking and drowning out their problems; or other people use even harsher drugs. Having self-reflection does open a flood-gate and the fact that it hit you hard but you said, "I'll figure this out" is a MAJOR accomplishment.  Don't sell that short, my friend.

Far too often, people just bury all of their insecurities and 'what if' scenarios deep deep down into the unconscious. They accept the 'meh' that they've been dealt.  Then they start operating on a system that they don't even understand. I've heard too many times, "That's just who I am."  Really? Is it REALLY who you are? Or are the underlying patterns because of bad experiences, deep-seeded doubts, and never taking stock and looking at your emotions is what's ruling you?  If you don't know that you are in control; then you are NOT in control.  What's in control is a bully, a bad parent, falling that one time, bitter words from bitter people.  Why would anyone willingly let that be in control of them?  If you can't challenge yourself, you can't change yourself, you can't grow, and for a majority of people- they just stay that way.  Reflection is definitely hard, especially the first time because it calls into question everything

Was I born to be ____?  Am I stuck?  Can't I just hit the reset button?  What am I doing? Why am I doing it? What's the end result?  It's big stuff to tackle.  It's almost like accepting that you're back at square one.  What you do after realizing something like that makes all the difference.  Some people get a peek of their own unconscious and shy away- it's too difficult to confront. Others, the smart ones, the brave ones, realize that it's a brand new door that's wide open, and you can make who and what you are something totally different.  Suddenly, it's not scary anymore. It's not intimidating. It's empowering.  It's Tabula Rasa - a clean slate.  And every single morning; you get a clean slate to be a different 'you'.  The 'you' that friends and family deserve.  The 'you' and YOU deserve.

• Like 10

Acerbus nearly got me this morning actually, but I clawed my way back. 

Woke up in a funk after not sleeping well; running low on motivation after a week of thinking about cleaning - even had a nightmare about it the other night. Found S.O's beard hair on my nice clean floor. Tried mopping the floor; looked like it did absolutely nothing and broke down. Why bother cleaning if it doesn't do anything? Also the pile of dishes was still there.

So I had a breakdown or two, then got on with it. Did some dishes, mopped the floor anyway. Went to work, came home, exercised, ate something. And you know what? I'm pretty pleased with what I accomplished today, and damn Acerbus for thinking he can stop me.

• Like 5

Stonie

They/Them

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit

I did it! I held the ball python at work today and it was actually cool with the whole thing. He didn't strike or try to escape, which was a good thing, and it felt pretty neat. Like I said, I hadn't held a snake before, but the time before I held him was worse than anything. I think I will try and hold the Milk or Corn snake next :D

I also cleaned out the large cricket bin without gloves or anything (the small ones don't bother me), though I found that anything that made a noise made me jump. A few landed on my hand though, but the first time I jumped so much, I banged my arm on the lid. To top it off, this morning I walked to work at 5:35am. Now it's not pitch black with the streetlights and a tiny bit of light from the sunrise, but I hate walking around in the dark, alone. Scratch that, I dislike the dark in general, but I did it.

• Like 9

Weight Loss. 195lbs -> 135lbs (60lbs target loss)

0%
0%

Anno!

I am a musician and have taught keyboard to kids with Down's syndrome, adults with traumatic brain injuries and one woman who had the use of only one hand. She learned a one handed version of silent night (which I had arranged for her) and we were both very happy about it. You can do it! Don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher. They can adjust things for your abilities.

Totally understand about practicing in front of an audience. I'm just practicing for pete's sake, not performing! As a church organist, I had to practice in the church and often had an audience. After a while, I learned to not care about it anymore. You can tell them you're just practicing and to please not comment unless you ask them to. Keep it up!

• Like 4

Oh thats sad news i like him a lot

For the challenge i think i will takle my fear of paperwork. Bleh

I will:

- put the desk back in the passageway and organise the stuff

- clean up and file the paperwork lying around (already have binders for each year with sections but i havnt filed for a while)

- start request for passports for me and my son

- scan and send my echo request for week 20 of pregnancy

- fill and send the government request for the daycare for 2013, i still have 3 weeks but uts best to get rid of it now

- pay any latent bills (taxes on my lawn treatment)

Alright so friday i did:

- filed all the papers that were around the house, and kept 3 i have to actially do something about. Found the list for my sons preschool of what to buy, and bought it today.

- sent the government daycair request. Was happy to realize my paper system works because i found the papers i neede quite quickly

- payed the latent bill in full and posted it

- for the echo i will do it at the hospital on my next weeks appointment

- we started shopping for a new desk for the passageway, we want to bring the computer into the main floor from the basement. Our computer is quite old so we will evetually by a laptop or all in one screen with integrated computer. In the meantime what we need is on the floor.

So i only have the passports left to do.

Happy i did it all, thought it would take longer than it did.

But i realized i have a bigger issue to ted to: electronics. I use it too much, during family time, and i need to cut it back to specific times of day. This is preventing me from being present and is part of my bad mommy problem i want to get fixed.

Ill start this next week, still thinking how i will do it.

• Like 5

Level 7 Yogini green witch

STR 3 - DEX 3 - STA 10 - CON 12 - WIS 13 - CHA 6

Previous challenges : 1 || 2 || 3 || 4 || 5 || 6|| 7 || || 9 || 10 || 11

Current challenge : august 2020

Mantra : I am calm, I am love

So my bravery thing is popping up. I have reached the point where I have to sink some money into my life quest project and I am nervous about it. Baring my soul, so to speak to complete strangers. Well, if I don't do it, I will spend the rest of my life wondering what if?

• Like 3

I did it. I'm not sure how but I got there. After only two mental breakdowns and an evening of "oh woe is me for being the only one cleaning up" I managed to;

throw out all the trash in the house

put all the odds and ends where they belong (or as close to without me having to drastically rearrange the entire place)

do all the dishes

sweep all the floors (inc. the carpet; it needed it if I was going to not blow up the vac!)

vacuum the carpets (only emptied it twice this time!)

mop the tiles and linoleum

and get all the washing done. it's not put away, but it's done.

And I asked my S.O for help. I was feeling very alone in trying to keep the place clean but I need to remember that I'm not the only one living here and he will help if I ask nicely, and it won't offend him.  

Now all I need to do is come up with a system that I can use to remind myself to do all this again next month so the house stays clean. 

Oh! I get a stat point! Woo!

• Like 5

Stonie

They/Them

I posted about my swimming courage. ..

Today, i am going to a gym. ..probably signing up. ..

And i will work on c25k on a treadmill monitoring my heart rate.

I have not been in a gym since my practice triathlon November 2009.

There are so many fears... but this is the first one.

I can relate to some of what Robin Williams was going through. ..fight fight fight, and just as you get on top. .. you find out there is a battle you can't win. .. you are destined to fight until the end of your time. I'm so sorry for him. So sad.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

I can relate to some of what Robin Williams was going through. ..fight fight fight, and just as you get on top. .. you find out there is a battle you can't win. .. you are destined to fight until the end of your time. I'm so sorry for him. So sad.

Truth. It's been a hard week. 

Stonie

They/Them

Reading the posts, I admire all who faced real fears and stood up to the challenges.  My fear was nothing dramatic, but arises from geekdom.  Fear of not tracking progress and gathering data.  I put it off all week, but yesterday I went to a nearby trail, and left all timers, GPS thingies and phones, etc. in the car, and took off for a run on 4 miles of trail.  Now I know I can't run 4 miles, not yet anyway.  But I ran as much as I could, and walked when I had to.  No sense of how far, how fast, how many minutes running, how many walking.  But it was fun, and cool in the woods even though it's over 90 degrees.  I think I could get used to it!  

• Like 4

"That which we do not bring to consciousness appears in our lives as fate. "

Carl Jung

Nice mini for this week! It'll be good for me to challenge myself as I have a irrational fear that people will think what I post is dumb, so I usually stick to the main threads (or ones that have to do with my challenges). I look forward to meeting new people in this mini :D

• Like 4

Weight Loss. 195lbs -> 135lbs (60lbs target loss)

0%
0%

Dude, I'm so excited for this week's mini! I've dropped out of two challenges already so I know what it's like to lose motivation midway. This is the first time I'm even close to being where I should be halfway through. 

Plus I've been doing some extra cardio already (running and riding my bike) so this is awesome. 

• Like 3

that girl writes

race: awesome/class: ranger

I post a lot on instagram

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do."

Feeling good about Week 4 after making it through Week 3 quite well, so I went and forwarded some of that energy to some level 1 adventurers. Not sure who, but there was at least 4. :D

I might even a HIIT session this week to shake things up a bit instead of a cardio sesh. 

• Like 2

Stonie

They/Them

I almost didn't post about my "Be Brave". I've been holding off all week. Because it's... mildly terrifying.

I've known about a problem at work for, like a year. And I got deeply involved with it, to the point that the problem is pretty much my problem. And I was the only one who knew about it. By the time I decided that it should be brought out into the open last year, there was no way to extract myself from it to the point where I wasn't part of the problem. And the longer it went on, the more I thought that exposing the problem that late after the fact could be a job-ending proposition.

Last week, I outed the problem, job be damned. Keeping it under my hat compromised my integrity. It was the wrong thing to do.

I'll find out this afternoon whether being brave and restoring this nick in my integrity is worth it. 

But I'm going to claim my stat point regardless.

• Like 9

Rebel Scum - Current Challenge - Battle Log - Epic Quest

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines