The Great Hall: Ranger Chatter

Hammlin

Chris-Tien Jinn suggested I stop by and introduce myself (on the premise that many of you may enjoy some of the videos I share in my challenge post and battle log, and that I may want to join your guild).

I think after much consideration I will be joining the ranger's after this challenge. I was originally a ranger a year or so ago, but decided to start back at the beginning now that I am back to NF.

I do circuit training in the gym 5 days a week, a cave man style workout on the weekend, and do yoga/stretching as well. My goal is to not by limited physically. After this 6 week challenge I plan to alter my current workouts so that I am doing more functional movements, and incorporating things like yoga and stretching into my workouts, instead of just doing them at random times during the week.

I look forward to meeting you all.

• Like 3

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Currently Posting in -->Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] 

Nanoo nanoo my friends :(

• Like 1

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Hi everyone , I'm in my first challenge right now, but am also considering joining a cross fit gym. Wanted to ask you all if it would be way too demanding, given my fitness level, which is pretty basic. I've been working out for 3 months, have lost 5 pounds and 2 inches. And am now 5 feet 4 inches at 125 pounds.

I can run for ten mins at 8.5 kmph easily. Can sprint at 10 kmph for 30 secs.

I can do three sets of ten reps each of squats of half my body weight. I can overhead press 12 kg, 6 reps, 3 sets. Can manage 6-8 burpees and 16-18 push-ups in one go. But can't do a freaking pull up.

Hoping for feedback on whether crossfit would be beyond my endurance levels? Should I start off slow with three days a week or maybe two?

I have an evaluation session for crossfit intro tomorrow, but I don't know what markers I should look out for

• Like 3

BlackMamba10, CrossFit is open to all, with different levels of difficulty for different levels of fitness, so don't worry about that. The evaluation session shouldn't be about being accepted or not, but rather about what level you should start at.

• Like 5

Yeap, BlackMamba10, DR is right.  Most CrossFit trainers will help you evaluate how hard you should be working and explain how to scale the workout of the day for your fitness level.  There's also usually an introductory "ramp up" class or plan as well.  Hope you have fun!!

• Like 3

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Chris Tien and Dark Raider, many thanks for your answers! My intro class is tom and now I have some idea of what to expect.

I was truly intimidated bc even with my weight lifting standards, my heart does beat very fast and I need to take a minute long break to bring my heart beat down to below 170 beats per min or 90% of max cap. So I was afraid of being breathless and a sight to be seen! And mocked !

I can't believe you'll get mocked, one the big tenets of crossfit is building community.  There's a crossfit box down the street from me and judging by the people I see, you will be a breathless sight to be seen - it looks like a lot of fun.

• Like 3

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Hello Rangers! ^.^

I wanted to stop by and introduce myself to the group, and say *thank you* for the wonderful support I've gotten from so many Rangers to date. I'm a total n00b to NF (this is my first challenge) and this is one of the guilds I really resonate with. I'm currently working to build up my endurance by completing my first triathlon, and I think I'd like to make it a regular thing. It's been a bit of a rough process for me the past few weeks, but overall I'm pleased with my progress.

Very pleased to meet all of you! :panda:

• Like 4

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

Hi everyone , I'm in my first challenge right now, but am also considering joining a cross fit gym. Wanted to ask you all if it would be way too demanding, given my fitness level, which is pretty basic. I've been working out for 3 months, have lost 5 pounds and 2 inches. And am now 5 feet 4 inches at 125 pounds.

I can run for ten mins at 8.5 kmph easily. Can sprint at 10 kmph for 30 secs.

I can do three sets of ten reps each of squats of half my body weight. I can overhead press 12 kg, 6 reps, 3 sets. Can manage 6-8 burpees and 16-18 push-ups in one go. But can't do a freaking pull up.

Hoping for feedback on whether crossfit would be beyond my endurance levels? Should I start off slow with three days a week or maybe two?

I have an evaluation session for crossfit intro tomorrow, but I don't know what markers I should look out for

Welcome to the Rangers, there are a few of us that started crossfit in the last month or so, you're in the right spot :)

With your level of fitness you'll be fine for a beginner. Expect to be sore for a couple weeks, crossfit exposes your weaknesses and is general enough to work out most things.  The goal is to be pretty good at everything, not extremely good at only a few things. Looking at your capabilities I expect you'll find that you're pretty good at Metcon or at least it will ramp up fairly quickly but you'll need to work on your strength. 

The idea is to scale every workout to meet your capabilities until you can RX (do the WOD's as prescribed). You should be challenged (a lot) but still able to complete the WOD. If the box is decent and the coaches know what they are doing they will scale the workouts appropriately for you. 

As for how many times you should attend class, at the beginning you'll probably find you enjoy it so much you want to go every day. However I'd say 2-3 times a week is a good starting point especially if you are doing other fitness work. 

Some important things to look for in a crossfit box:

- what are coaches qualifications outside of crossfit certs?

- what are coaches backgrounds prior to crossfit?

- do the coaches compete in crossfit competitions?

- what state is the equipment in?

- is there a good range of gear to do all the movements?

The main thing is that you like and respect the coaches and have confidence in their ability. 

Unless it's a terrible one, nobody will ridicule you at a crossfit box for anything. It's generally a fun environment, sure some people look cool in all their flashy gear but the box I train at has a range of people from all walks of life and all capabilities. Everyone encourages and supports each other. 

Couple words of warning:

- If you are not feeling comfortable with something or you feel you are being pushed into something that's going to hurt you, speak up, it will be well received and respected. The great thing about training with a coach is they get to know what you can do and will push you to work that bit harder than you think you can, but if it's truly putting you in a spot where you are going to get injured, just speak up and stop they won't make you do it. 

- It's ok to push through some hurting but not through pain.

- Crossfit is lots of fun and highly addictive :)

And that elusive pull-up will come eventually, the box will have bands you can use to assist you which you can gradually reduce as you get stronger.

Steve's take on crossfit: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/03/01/a-beginners-guide-to-crossfit/

• Like 7

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

60 days to 5k (July-Sep 2021)

Dear Endor, thank you, that was quite a treasure trove of information ! I have moved my xfit intro session to next Wednesday due to work commitments, and will definitely keep the above points in mind, esp abt the coaches' qualifications.

Dear Rangers, thank you all for your support and I shall def post an update after my first session! If it doesn't kill me first :P

• Like 2

Welcome, Cn3wton, Ryoko, and BlackMamba10!

I know you aren't really official yet, but as you've seen, we're here to answer questions and help however we can. And, guild leader Hammlin sometimes lets us recruit Level Ones to participate in the mini-challenges towards the end of the six weeks, so stick around!

• Like 3

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Hey all, I figured I could ask this here (I also posted it in the programming section)

I've started coming up with a new workout to start at the end of this challenge, and I figured since its HIIT/crosstraining/everything that you guys could maybe take a look and tell me what your thoughts/ideas about it where? Its in the first post of my battle log here.

Thanks!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Welcome to the Rangers' guild everyone! *hands a Butter Beer*

• Like 2

Level  2 Gnome -who wants to be a Mermaid- Ranger

STR 5 | DEX | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 1

Challenges:  1 |  Current Challenge: Arya Sapphire and the Majora's Mask

''Be brave enough to live life creatively. The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition.'' - Alan Alda

Hey all, I figured I could ask this here (I also posted it in the programming section)

I've started coming up with a new workout to start at the end of this challenge, and I figured since its HIIT/crosstraining/everything that you guys could maybe take a look and tell me what your thoughts/ideas about it where? Its in the first post of my battle log here.

Thanks!

Nice! Thanks for the link. This is challenging stuff and you're doing a great job of documenting it and providing background, so people can adapt it to their situations. Very nicely done.

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Nice! Thanks for the link. This is challenging stuff and you're doing a great job of documenting it and providing background, so people can adapt it to their situations. Very nicely done.

Thank you very much. I like to keep it organized so if anyone wants to try it I can help them effectively. And also so they can help me effectively.

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

I have a random question.  I've been thinking about more and more fitness goals lately and I've noticed that some might find in with the Assassin's guild (just here and there).  If I wanted to join them for a challenge, could I still compete in Ranger mini-challenges?

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4

"Remember - I'm still the king of the Seven Seas!  And if I wish I can command all the creatures of the sea to attack you - at once!"

You can't collect points for challenges unless you're a ranger, but you can do as many guild challenges just for the exercise all you want.  I always end up doing monks mini challenges and on occasion the assassins challenges. It just won't count towards group or personal points unless you're part of that guild.  

Level 19 Ranger Monk 

Str- 10, Dex-8, Sta-7, Con-11, Wis-78, Cha-43

"Not all who wander are lost."

"We Shall Not Practice Fear"

Current Battlelog

Ok - so I could do a personal 6-week challenge in the a different guild than my affiliation, but wouldn't earn any mini-challenge points from any guild.  But I still get my own personal points for my quest(s) (depending on how I do)?

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4

"Remember - I'm still the king of the Seven Seas!  And if I wish I can command all the creatures of the sea to attack you - at once!"

Ok - so I could do a personal 6-week challenge in the a different guild than my affiliation, but wouldn't earn any mini-challenge points from any guild.  But I still get my own personal points for my quest(s) (depending on how I do)?

you would earn minichallenge points from the guild your 6wc is in... if you are a ranger (at heart) and are doing your 6wc in the monks you would get monk MC points but not ranger MC points

and you always get your personal 6wc points (if you earn them)

• Like 1

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

you would earn minichallenge points from the guild your 6wc is in... if you are a ranger (at heart) and are doing your 6wc in the monks you would get monk MC points but not ranger MC points

and you always get your personal 6wc points (if you earn them)

I haven't read all the fine print, so I don't know if there are any rules about that.  Personally, I feel if you do something, then you should get credit for it.  The points are just for fun, anyway.  The mini-challenges are to encourage more interaction and activity.  The points are just a fun little reward for participating.  Anyone concerned about them needs to analyze their priorities.  If you aren't making personal progress, then those points don't mean anything

Journey to You: Coaching, Mentoring, and Personal Growth

World 6 Level 2 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2021 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 2 Stats: STR 146.0 | DEX 155.25 | STA 147.5 | CON 148.0 | WIS 152.0 | CHA 144.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] World 6 Level [1]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

Hey, Davi - Welcome to the Rangers!

Fellow rangers, definitely check out Davil's thread - he's another one of us who "wants to do all the things!" And I think we may need to start a garden on the island...

(Davi, references to "the island" are to the setting of our ongoing mini-challenges.)

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Hey, Davi - Welcome to the Rangers!

Fellow rangers, definitely check out Davil's thread - he's another one of us who "wants to do all the things!" And I think we may need to start a garden on the island...

(Davi, references to "the island" are to the setting of our ongoing mini-challenges.)

Thanks, ShadowLion, I'll show up to visit and follow my fellow rangers!

Warrior
Level 1

STR 6; DEX 5,5; STA 6; CON 5 WIS 1; CHA 4.
2nd Challenge/Battle log
Previous Challenges:1st

"Fortune favors the brave."

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines