Hey, I'm Emi and I just joined

Hey guys! My name is Emmanuel (Emi for buddies), I'm a 26yo medical doctor and geek (RPGs, videogames, comics, the lot). Nice to meet you all!

I was never the working out type. I have practiced martial arts my whole life but never more than 3-4 monthes in each (except Karate, the first one, that one I practiced for 4 years) - but never serious enough to have an impact in my life (it's always up to you, in the end).

I tried a few diets, sure, but nothing that smart. I did atkins, lost some weight, quit it, got it all back (but I did get in a better shape - never been as thin as that time, 75kg). And more. I got to 90kg, which, having 172cm, meant my BMI got to 30. Obese. I didn't look really obese, just fat, but at that time, I decided enough is enough. So I found a brief version of the Abs Diet online, and decided to buy the book. I read it all, and changed some stuff I don't like about it (details), and lost 13kg (and I've been with 77kg for a while now).

When I was with 80kg, I decided I should exercise. I was scared of hurting my knees running, so I joined a gym and started with isolated muscles. Not 2 monthes later, I had to stop with pain in the hip. Bursitis in the femur-trocanter joint. My orthopedist told me to stop, and til I got some exames done, that I shouldn't do any exercises. That was like, 2 weeks ago.

I just found out about Nerd Fitness, and talking to a buddy who's a physiotherapist he told that I should never work isolated muscles in the machines, that that's what hurt me - an idea I had heard before here. He told me I should walk, and then run, and only practice exercises like planks, push-ups, etc if in correct form.

So I decided to start running whenever my doctor tells me I can (will start with the couch to 5k program, and after that, the interval training). I wanted to start with the beginner training in Nerd Fitness, but worried about the form, I gave Steve the idea of making a part of the forum where people send videos of themselves doing the exercises, and other people give them hints of how to make more of it, how to correct posture and form, etc.

I hope I can help and be helped around!

That's all for now

Best regards,

Emi

Hale and well met! Or in non-english major speak: Welcome and glad to meet you :D

Sorry to hear about your struggles though now you have some ideas about what not to do for your body, too bad it has to hurt so much sometimes. :( The more research I do the more I find that machine's aren't all they are cracked up to be. Something to research would be Mark Rippetoe and his Starting Strength 2nd edition. Got it from my local library and completely revamped my training around it.

Looking forward to seeing you on the boards.

Welcome!!

I love your first name by the way. What field of medicine do you practice? where do you practice? I'm just curious because I'm a medical student myself. The couch to 5 k is a pretty cool program, I did it for a while up to the 1k part, and then just got bored with it, but it is a good start. If you have an mp3 player, you can download pod casts that are specifically made for couch to 5k so you can have someone telling you when to switch speeds, and it is accompanied with music. There is even a link out there that teaches you to make your own. Best of Luck in your weight loss goals!!!