Ruckus Runs Over 1000 Stairs

Ruckus

I came back! Now that I've graduated, moved out on my own, and gotten a job, I should have a steady routine for the foreseeable future, so I should be around more regularly.

Main Quest: Run Over 1000 Stairs

I live near Harvard Stadium, which consists of around 30 rows of concrete seats (someone involved in November Project probably knows the exact number) broken up into 37 sections. It's a long-term goal, but I want to be able to run all 37 sections in one go. If I got the 30 rows right, that comes out to 1110 stairs. The first time I ran there I struggled through 3 sets broken up by like 2 minutes of rest, so I've got a long way to go.

How I'm going to get there:

1. Run at least 3 days per week. This one could be hard because it's summer in New England, so it's hot and humid almost all the time. If it's not, it's probably thundering.
  2. Run at Harvard at least 1 of those days. Ideally I can add one additional section per week, but we'll see how that goes.
  3. Run with the marathon team on Sunday mornings. This one could be hard because while I still live close to my college, it requires public transportation to get there, which involves getting up super early because the runs start at 8. (Also acceptable: Brunch Runners)

I will allow 3 exceptions: working past 7:00 pm, outrageously bad weather (thunderstorms, pouring rain, or over 90°F), and illness/injury.

Life Side Quest: Learn German

I'm also back on the Duolingo horse after a long absence. After resetting my German progress, I've kept a consistent streak for 16 days. I want to keep that going until I complete the skill tree. I don't necessarily need to learn a new lesson, but I need to practice at least once a day.

Fitness Side Quest: Do a chin-up

I bought a pull-up bar for my new place, and I'd like to be able to use it for its intended purpose. I'm working on negatives right now, but hopefully I can do a chin-up by the end of the next 6 weeks.

• Like 3

Scout / Assassin. Ich spreche etwas deutsch.

Strava || Duolingo
Challenges: 2015/06/08 (current) | 2015/04/13 | 2014/11/10 | 2014/09/15 | 2014/07/28

"You just have to run to the end of the block. It's not as hard as you think it is."
--Leonard Fisher (12 and Holding)

Have you considering going to visit the nerds at November project? I know we have a few in that area who are there often. I've been tossing around ramping up the German again so I shall most likely join you in that. Good luck!

• Like 1

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Welcome (back) Ruckus. Loving the extreme hill reps idea and always glad to see more language learners!

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Thanks everyone!

Shukar: I want to join NP, but I start work at 8 AM, so it's realistically impossible for me to get to work on time if I also want to shower afterwards. I know they have the 5:30 group, but I'm struggling with idea of getting up before 5 AM (and also running through Harvard Square at 5 doesn't seem like the safest idea). /excuses. Maybe I'll try it next week.

Strava || Duolingo
Challenges: 2015/06/08 (current) | 2015/04/13 | 2014/11/10 | 2014/09/15 | 2014/07/28

"You just have to run to the end of the block. It's not as hard as you think it is."

Went out to Harvard right after I posted this and ended up doing 4 sections with ~1.5-2 minutes between, which includes walking back down. The first 2 went pretty well; I struggled near the top, but that's to be expected. The third went less well, and the fourth I made it about 2/3 of the way up before I walked the rest of the way. I wasn't feeling too great (hydrating is important), so that could be a factor.

I also practiced some German and did a set of 3 negative chin-ups, the first of which went fine, but those got progressively worse. Patience and practice!

• Like 2

Strava || Duolingo

Patience and practice will get you there for sure.

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Well I did it. I got out of bed at 4:45 and went to November Project at 5:30. I ran/walked/climbed/tried-not-to-collapse 19 sections (in 24 minutes), because apparently that's the minimum on PR day (and maybe all the time...?). I didn't get to hang out with Phoebe the PR pig, but maybe she'll be back next month when I do the full tour.

In other news, I'm still practicing German every day and my desk job of staring at minute details on a computer screen is ruining my back and neck, so I haven't been doing chin-ups as much as I would like. I did talk to my boss about it today, so I might be getting adjustable monitors since mine don't move. Progress!

Strava || Duolingo

4:45 :o !!!!!

...and now you know why I put it off for so long haha. But honestly, it was totally worth it and I plan on going again on Wednesday. Also I went to bed at like 9:30 the night before, so 4:45 wasn't as bad as it could've been.

My weekend was pretty good. I didn't run at all because I got lazy, but I've been "working" on chin-ups now that my back and neck are feeling better. And the German streak currently stands at 28 days. And I finished season 3 of Breaking Bad (holy crap that got crazy).

• Like 1

Strava || Duolingo

You're doing a good job there. That's more than half your goal for those steps, right?

How's the German coming along? Feeling the momentum build?

Ruckus! I was pointed your way by 18ck, I am 9ne of those NF NPers Shu mentioned (though AgentSka and RisenPhoenix are far more regular). Glad you made it last week! I am a 6:30 guy and struggle enough with that so I commend your 5:30 attendance (and your 19 sections in 24 minutes!) My goal is a full tour in the 50ish minutes of a NP workout but that is taking a back seat at the moment to focusing on running on the roads. And note I do not use the word "run" when I mention stairs because I rarely run a section...

• Like 1

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

I went this week too! I'm trying to make it a regular thing. I also run maybe the first 90-95% of the first section and it gets exponentially worse after that. I got half of Frogman1 done last week in like 40 minutes before I decided that continuing would be a bad idea since I'd probably trip and break my face. The goal is to finish the full tour by the end of the month and then work on getting better at it.

In other news: the German streak is still alive; I practice more on some days than others, but such is life. I've been practicing chin-ups most days, but I don't think I'm making much progress, but that might be because I'm not trying that hard (which may or may not be true). I went running on Friday and to NP on Wednesday, and I plan on going out Sunday, but this wasn't my best week.

Strava || Duolingo

Frogman1?

Frogman1 is 50 sections. So I did 25. It seems like they set a specific workout each week (The Tin Man might know better than I would), and last week's was Frogman1

Strava || Duolingo

I went this week too! I'm trying to make it a regular thing. I also run maybe the first 90-95% of the first section and it gets exponentially worse after that. I got half of Frogman1 done last week in like 40 minutes before I decided that continuing would be a bad idea since I'd probably trip and break my face. The goal is to finish the full tour by the end of the month and then work on getting better at it.

In other news: the German streak is still alive; I practice more on some days than others, but such is life. I've been practicing chin-ups most days, but I don't think I'm making much progress, but that might be because I'm not trying that hard (which may or may not be true). I went running on Friday and to NP on Wednesday, and I plan on going out Sunday, but this wasn't my best week.

Yay for going back! And glad your German streak is still going and that you have been working the chins. May not have been the best week but it is the stringing together of pretty good weeks that causes real progress.

Frogman1 is 50 sections. So I did 25. It seems like they set a specific workout each week (The Tin Man might know better than I would), and last week's was Frogman1

Yep, they set a workout each week. Last Wednesday of each month is always PR day - try to get a full tour as fast as you can. Beyond that there are things like Frogman, run 40 sections, get as many sections as you can in XX minutes, "fire drills" where they ring a bell and you have to stop and do squats/push ups/some other PT before continuing, and others.

• Like 1

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Thanks for the run-down. Do they only tag new gear at the end of the month as well? And maybe I'll see you on Wednesday?

Strava || Duolingo

Update: After a god-awful run yesterday morning (we all have those days, right?), I went after I got home today and passed the 4-mile mark for the first time since like November. I walked a little near the end due to a side stitch burning with the intensity of 1000 suns, but overall not bad.

Learning to chin-up has turned into learning how to neutral-grip pull-up because the padding on the bar isn't in the right place and I can't figure out how to move it.

And the German streak is still alive and kicking at 35 days. I feel like I'm not making as much progress as I could, but I'm still learning, which counts for something.

Strava || Duolingo

Ah!

*pretends to understand*

• Like 1

we all have those days, right?

Oh yeah.

It sounds like it's going well as a whole.

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines