Caolan's First Step

Lao-Tzu once said that "a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."  I have a long journey ahead of me, but I am excited to take this first step forward.

Quest

My quest is to lose weight and improve my level of fitness, which I will define in the following three ways:  lose 50 pounds, reduce my pants size from 42 to 36, and reduce my shirt size from XXL to XL.    I know that this is a quest that will take longer than 6 weeks, but I hope to develop some good habits during this 6-week challenge that will start me moving in the right direction.

Goals

My three goals for the challenge are:

1. Exercise for at least 30 minutes every day.  Ideally, I will do several different types of exercise during the week to keep my muscles guessing -- beginner bodyweight workout, swim laps, ride my bike, etc.
  2. Completely eliminate fast food from my diet. 
  3. Be in bed by 11pm each night. 

Scoring

Each of these goals will earn points:

6-7 days = 3 points

4-5 days = 2 points

2-3 days = 1 point

I will also earn 1 bonus point for each 5 pounds I lose during the challenge. 

Grading

There are 9 possible points per week, so there are 54 possible points for the challenge.  Here is my grading scale:

"A" for  42+ points

"B" for  36-41 points

"C" for  30-35 points

Motivation

I have two motivations for my quest.  The first is to help me keep up with my elementary school age kids and make sure I am healthy enough to be fit and active when they have their own kids (many years from now, I hope!).  I also need to set a better example for them about healthy eating and exercise.  The second motivation is to help me get back to martial arts.  I am a black belt and love to both teach and train, but my fitness level gets in the way of my training.

Stat Points (Added during week 4 of the challenge)

Finishing this challenge will be worth 1 STR, 1 DEX, 1 STA, 1 WIS, 1 CHA

• Like 6

Level 4 Ranger
STR 10 / DEX 6 / STA 6 / CON 8 / WIS 6 / CHA 5
Completed Challenges / PVP's: 
1 | 2 3 | 4 | YAYOG | 20-in-10

Current Challenges / PVP's: 5

What is your level of fitness prior to starting the challenge? Even though you may not think it's a lot, 30 min every day adds up fast. Just keep in mind that when starting a new program, going slow and then easing into it has a better chance of success. If prior to this challenge you were working out 4-5ish times, then this is doable. If you were working out 1-3 times per week, then jumping up to every day can create fatigue after roughly 2 weeks.  Just take note of how you feel. If you're really tired despite hitting your sleep goal after 2 weeks, you might want to dial back a little.  If you feel totally fine, then by all means; keep rocking.

What's the plan of attack for eliminating all fast food?  Are you going to prep meals ahead of time? What was the reason you got fast food in the first place?  Finding out the 'why' can help address a plan of action so you don't fall into the same rut.

Looks good. Good luck and have fun :)

• Like 5

Teros - Thank you for your questions.  

I think the key to eliminating fast food is planning my meals out in advance - having healthy/tasty food choices in the house I can cook, and packing lunches so I don't take the easy way out at work.

You are right that I need to be careful not to overdo the exercise in the beginning.  For my first challenge, I am not aiming for 30 minutes of high-end exercise.  I think a good week for me would be 2 days of beginner body weight workouts, a couple of days of swimming or biking, and taking my dog for a good walk every day.  So while I may only be "working out" 2-3 times per week, I will hopefully be getting exercise every day.  

• Like 1

Level 4 Ranger

What is your black belt in (what school/type/whatever it's called)?   Martial arts training is on my bucket list, but I get overwhelmed with trying to figure out what to take.  

Solid goals!! 

• Like 1

Cassi, Level 0, Human Commoner

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

ღ Challenge 1 áƒ¦

ღ MyFitnessPal áƒ¦

Eliminating Fast Food:  I'd suggest you have something "quick to grab" at home and work - for days when life gets in the way.  I keep canned chicken, healthy choice pasta kit (you just add water and microwave for 60 seconds), and Parmesan cheese in my desk for emergencies.  It's very helpful on days I get to work and realize my lunch is sitting on the counter at home.   Just a suggestion!

• Like 2

Cassi, Level 0, Human Commoner

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

ღ Challenge 1 áƒ¦

ღ MyFitnessPal áƒ¦

Cassi -

My black belt is in Tang Soo Do.  It is a Korean style that is similar to TKD in some ways.  

Thanks for the suggestion on emergency rations - I am sure it will be useful.

• Like 2

Level 4 Ranger

I think these are vary achievable goals.

Its good that your not limiting yourself to a specific type of exercise. Just try to do something active 30 minutes a day and find what you like.

With the food part I suggest taking any diet changes slow. As that will help it last!

Good luck!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Currently Posting in -->Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] 

Great goals! Good advice on the exercise part. On some of my challenges I have asked too much than given up cuz I didn't attain.

Have you read much on Paleo diet? It has really worked for me to go about 80-90% Paleo. I try to eat 100% for breakfast and lunch to start. Just an idea.

I am starting an accountabuddies group and will post the link when it is up. Would love to have you. Should help you get the most put of NF.

Any questions let me know!

• Like 1

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

Be in bed by 11pm each night. 

Ugh, this.  I have this in my goals, too.  LET'S BOTH MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Best of luck.

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

I think the key to eliminating fast food is planning my meals out in advance - having healthy/tasty food choices in the house I can cook, and packing lunches so I don't take the easy way out at work.

For the past week or so I've been trying to cut down on fast food myself, and I do find that planning things out in advance makes a huge difference! Also, if you're cooking for yourself and not for anyone else, you can make a meal to last for half the week, or having generally easy-to-throw-together meals is awesome, too. As long as you don't mind eating the same thing every day, that is! At the very least, it'll be a start.

Great goals, and best of luck!

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log

I like your goals.  They are very well rounded so you've got all your bases covered. 

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

Be sure to get your rest too.

I really like that you count walking the dog as exercise too, because you can have one or two rest days this way.

I just am really confused because when our dog was still alive she had do be taken to a walk 3 times a day. Usually I did the walk after school and it was the longest one. Miss that time :(

Do you don't usually walk your dogs or do you mean a special long walk through the woods or something?

• Like 1

Katastrophenkatzchen - Progress, not Perfection!

Race: Troll | Class : one ambitious  Druid-kitty

Level: 2 | STR 1 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenges: 0,5, 1, 2 , Babysteps

Spoiler

(137/180 days) 26/9/14

76.1%
76.1%

No alcohol (12/42) 26/9/14

28%
28%

Start: 194 lbs, Final Goal: 154 lbs, Next Goal: 190 lbs / Current: 194.9 lbs (15. Sept. 2014)

-1%
-1%

katastrophenkatzchen - I meant that I would take the dog for longer walks - not just a quick around-the-block walk. I also have a big back yard, so it is sometimes tempting to just let her run around out back instead of actually walking with her. She might get exercise this way, but I certainly don't!

• Like 2

Level 4 Ranger

Hi Caolan!

it looks like we have several things in common - well, except for that black belt!  I tore up my knee in a flying knee kick or something...TKD - the person holding the thing for me to kick ducked...and I went flying over them...and it didn't work out quite the way it does in the movies!

But, my body still remembers some of the stances, and the flow!  I'm sure that you will get back into it as soon as you are able!

I saw that T2Sarah asked you about paleo - and it has been a lifesaver for me....so, I thought I'd post this here:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/

AND - 

I SEE YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO TAKE THE RED PILL!

I am cohosting the redpill accountabilibuddies with T2Sarah and I wanted to welcome you to the gang!

next step - lets go down the rabbit hole!

• Like 2

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

I will also earn 1 bonus point for each 5 pounds I lose during the challenge. 

Grading

There are 9 possible points per week, so there are 54 possible points for the challenge.  Here is my grading scale:

"A" for  42+ points

"B" for  36-41 points

"C" for  30-35 points

As we are getting started today, I think I am going to tweak my grading system a little bit.  Since my main quest is about losing weight and sizes, I think I need to add some more points for that.  So I will give myself 1 bonus point for each pound lost, not for each 5 pounds.  Because of that, I need to raise my grading standards a bit.

My new grading scale will be 

"A" for  47+ points

"B" for  41-46 points

"C" for  35-40 points

• Like 1

Level 4 Ranger

Goals

My three goals for the challenge are:

1. Exercise for at least 30 minutes every day.  Ideally, I will do several different types of exercise during the week to keep my muscles guessing -- beginner bodyweight workout, swim laps, ride my bike, etc.
  2. Completely eliminate fast food from my diet.

Nice work on these!  (Goal 3 is good too, but just commenting on the first two.)  I like the open-ended exercise goal - it's nice to give yourself some flexibility to try new things or not get bored.  I run into the "bored" problem myself sometimes, but this is likely more user error than anything.  

As for fast food, I like using Sunday as a prep day for at least lunches during the week. That way I'm less tempted to hit up the cafeteria within my building.  

Good Luck!  

Level 5 Half-Orc Adventurer

STR 13 | DEX 4 | STA  2 | CON  13 | WIS 11 | CHA 8

Try Not. Do, or do not. There is no try. 

Challenges 1 2 3 4 Daily Battle Log    PVP: YAYOG

You have very well-rounded goals. I gave up fast food a while ago (I used to eat it a LOT), so if you ever want to talk about it, feel free to reach out anytime.

Best wishes on your goals, from a fellow Red Pill! I look forward to seeing your progress! :tickled_pink: 

• Like 1

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

As we are getting started today, I think I am going to tweak my grading system a little bit.  Since my main quest is about losing weight and sizes, I think I need to add some more points for that.  So I will give myself 1 bonus point for each pound lost, not for each 5 pounds.  Because of that, I need to raise my grading standards a bit.

My new grading scale will be 

"A" for  47+ points

"B" for  41-46 points

"C" for  35-40 points

I think that it's great you're not being too rigid with your goals, and you are adapting them to work around you has you think more about what you're trying to attain.

sometimes people sent tough goals and are too afraid to change them so fail

• Like 1

Here is my daily check-in for Sunday (Day 0 of this challenge):

Goal 1: Exercise at least 30 minutes each day.  I did a 45 minute bike ride on Sunday morning.  I went a little less than 9 miles, and definitely had my heart pumping for most of the ride.  I felt good for the rest of the day, so I did not overdo it with this ride.  This is a great start for this goal.

Goal 2: No fast food.  I did not have any fast food, but I did not make the best food decisions throughout the day.  We hosted a dinner party with homemade lasagna, tres leches cake made from scratch, and so on.  While I met the letter of the goal, I did not really hit the spirit of the goal, so there is still some work for me to do.

Goal 3: In bed by 11.  I went to bed around 10:45, so I am on track with this one.

• Like 2

Level 4 Ranger

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines