How You Get There is the Worthier Part

Kishi

Thanks! I'm thinking of getting into Magic Online to practice, but don't know much about it. Your thoughts?

Not a big fan of it, actually. I prefer real cards. My advice would be to find your local card shop, and play with the guys there. Typically they're pretty friendly, and more than open to helping new players out.

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

STR: 8   STA: 10

AGI: 10   WIS: 5

CON: 7   CHA: 4

We must DARE to be GREAT;

and we must realize that GREATNESS is

the FRUIT of TOIL and SACRIFICE and HIGH COURAGE

Not a big fan of it, actually. I prefer real cards. My advice would be to find your local card shop, and play with the guys there. Typically they're pretty friendly, and more than open to helping new players out.

They do tend to be, aye. I'm just looking for opportunities to practice that allow me to get in game time without having to sit in a gamestore for hours and hours. That's all.

The exile continues, though it is almost done. Soon, I will be back to sleeping in a bed and cooking my own meals. I am glad for the journey, and for what it's teaching me. I just wish I'd had the chance to do something more with it.

I decided to take today to work on flow-style drills with shotokan. Just throwing basic combos, 1234'ing it up. I think I might be on to something there, but I'd need to slow it down and make the motions more deliberate. But I think I can do it.

• Like 3

Yeah, no, really. I'm thinking about making a mini-quest about giving things up. Maybe do that as our quest for the next mini-challenge next week? Hmm...

Go minimalist like Loren Wade! ;)

Whew. Glad this surfing is almost over. You are VERY go with the flow, and I consider that a virtue.:)  But some routine is always good and I think sleep is the major one. I effects everything. Hoping you get a blackened out room with a comfy mattress :)

Keep flyin'!

• Like 1
I decided to take today to work on flow-style drills with shotokan. Just throwing basic combos, 1234'ing it up. I think I might be on to something there, but I'd need to slow it down and make the motions more deliberate. But I think I can do it.

You can do it.  Slowing down really helps you find out what works and what doesn't in your techniques.  I have been waiting to use this quote, "slow is smooth and smooth is fast." :)

• Like 4

Doug

In search of the ever elusive side thrust kick....

Student of Karate and Iaido

You know what's sad? Loren was talking in chat a while back how after the server migration that challenge of his is missing. And how he wishes he could go back and read it because it was so epic. (On a similar note, I have a challenge fr around then where I posted "before" and "during" pictures. Totally missing as well. Sometimes I want to re-read it for all the love you guys sent me there.)

Glad your housing issues are winding down, and hope you've consumed all the noms at Panera and at least enjoyed the delicious (special?) hell. I seriously do not know how you can take everything in stride so well. Constantly amazed by you, sempai.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Whew. Glad this surfing is almost over. You are VERY go with the flow, and I consider that a virtue. :)  But some routine is always good and I think sleep is the major one. I effects everything. Hoping you get a blackened out room with a comfy mattress :)

Keep flyin'!

Gurl, I tell you what. I was thinking all about that kid when I started up. I already got rid of my office chair, so all I can do in my room is standing desk. :)

Yeah, me too. I don't know how to feel anything but grateful for the friends who helped me through all this. I'm also much more tired these days than I used to be. The sleep is definitely not as high-quality as I would like, but I'm definitely not in a position to complain about it. Fortunately, though, I only have one window to cover up, and I have the box fan to drown out the outside. Rest is coming. :)

Wheeeee!

You can do it.  Slowing down really helps you find out what works and what doesn't in your techniques.  I have been waiting to use this quote, "slow is smooth and smooth is fast." :)

That's what Sensei used to tell me, too. He used to say that it was a waste of time to focus on getting faster - not only do you botch the technique in the name of speed, but you get a very poor return on the investment. The real trick, he said, was to focus on smoothing out the bumps in transitions and letting speed be a byproduct of efficiency. It's something I need to remember from time to time.

You know what's sad? Loren was talking in chat a while back how after the server migration that challenge of his is missing. And how he wishes he could go back and read it because it was so epic. (On a similar note, I have a challenge fr around then where I posted "before" and "during" pictures. Totally missing as well. Sometimes I want to re-read it for all the love you guys sent me there.)

Glad your housing issues are winding down, and hope you've consumed all the noms at Panera and at least enjoyed the delicious (special?) hell. I seriously do not know how you can take everything in stride so well. Constantly amazed by you, sempai.

It's okay. Loren's minimalism remains. In our hearts. :D

I have enjoyed it! I made a tour through all our grilled cheese options. Combine that with a breadbowl of creamy tomato soup? Awww, yeah. And also, all the carbs. :D "Hm, let's see... okay, so it's only 1800 calories, that's not OH MY JESUS IT'S 280 GRAMS OF CARB! AAAAAAAAAUGH!"

Taking things in stride is... I've never really articulated it before. Part of it is a certain cold calm that I keep. I realized when I was younger that I had the power to determine the good or the bad of an event, and that further the good and the bad that I saw were never quite so pronounced as I thought they were. As such, they weren't worth the expenditure of emotional energy. It's kind of the same thing now. Homelessness and loss of dietary control suck, particularly for a personal trainer, but they're temporary things, and way better than the alternative.

And, if I'm straight up about it, my theology does play into that some. I don't know that I necessarily believe in a God who means for nothing but good things, because that would mean that he has no part in the bad things that happen - not only does he not have the power to stop them, but they're meaningless and serve no purpose but to make us suffer. I choose to believe that the bad things that happen have some deeper purpose, some meaning - either some refinement of my character, or the induction of humility, or to draw me nearer and show me how small I am. If that's the case, then the bad things that happen aren't anything more than the obstacles they're supposed to be, and it's my job to overcome them - not to prove my strength, but to point back to something greater than myself. If that makes sense.

Staying with friends is cool and it is awesome of them to help, but being in your own space will be great :-)  You need that.

Yup. It'll be good. Living with a girl I've crushed on for a couple years is... stressful.

that vitamoves warm up looks pretty sweet

More then looks, bruh.

• Like 2

That's what Sensei used to tell me, too. He used to say that it was a waste of time to focus on getting faster - not only do you botch the technique in the name of speed, but you get a very poor return on the investment. The real trick, he said, was to focus on smoothing out the bumps in transitions and letting speed be a byproduct of efficiency. It's something I need to remember from time to time.

My sensei says that all the time too. I'm still waiting for my weapons to make the same swishing noise that his do.

I see a funny thing in open-hand technique. It does not feel like I am any faster. As my timing gets better it feels like I am moving slower. It looks to me like my ukes move quickly but I don't. I've never done surfing, but I think the analogy is sound. Once you are on top of the wave you just stay there. You are moving but you don't have to work to do it. This may be specific to aikido where uke does all the work.

I have enjoyed it! I made a tour through all our grilled cheese options. Combine that with a breadbowl of creamy tomato soup? Awww, yeah. And also, all the carbs. :D "Hm, let's see... okay, so it's only 1800 calories, that's not OH MY JESUS IT'S 280 GRAMS OF CARB! AAAAAAAAAUGH!"

Yup. It'll be good. Living with a girl I've crushed on for a couple years is... stressful.

Looks like you are getting an up close and personal view of why it is so easy for Americans to pack on the pounds. "only 1800 calories". That is a full day's food for lots of rebels.

Eeep. Living with a person you've crushed on and not being creepy. That's a tough one. I know you will keep to your high standards, but ouch. All the temptations in one week. I hope you will get to rest and let your hair down after you move into your new place.

• Like 1

Level 63  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

My sensei says that all the time too. I'm still waiting for my weapons to make the same swishing noise that his do.

I see a funny thing in open-hand technique. It does not feel like I am any faster. As my timing gets better it feels like I am moving slower. It looks to me like my ukes move quickly but I don't. I've never done surfing, but I think the analogy is sound. Once you are on top of the wave you just stay there. You are moving but you don't have to work to do it. This may be specific to aikido where uke does all the work.

Looks like you are getting an up close and personal view of why it is so easy for Americans to pack on the pounds. "only 1800 calories". That is a full day's food for lots of rebels.

Eeep. Living with a person you've crushed on and not being creepy. That's a tough one. I know you will keep to your high standards, but ouch. All the temptations in one week. I hope you will get to rest and let your hair down after you move into your new place.

yeah, same for me, with being in the right place and being able to make opponents dance on strings.

That sounds kind of similar to what happens to me. I don't feel like I'm any faster, but rather that I'm able to more strongly complete a process and that the things the opponents do are just a part of that process.

Yeah, no, it's totally that. It's a lot of freaking food, which is why I've been able to fast successfully all this time. Though, honestly, I look forward to being able to eat lots of calories again and them come from better sources.

It's been... difficult not to be creepy. Not that I'm looking for excuses to watch her or anything, God, no. I just mean. Like. It makes me nervous, and all the weird and nerdy things that I would normally keep to myself seem to just come out and serve no purpose at all. It doesn't seem to have made things bad, fortunately. And... when I think of her, I feel this fullness in my chest that I didn't feel before. It's strange.

Bah. I should ask her out so that she can reject me and get it over with. I don't have time for this.

Oh no!!! That sucks :( I should go back and look to see if all mine are still there. I still have our PM's from back in the day ;)

I'd really like to read some of my old ones too. I got much love when my boxing coach died. Also, just to see my progress (or lack there of and find the trend). So useful.

Gurl, I tell you what. I was thinking all about that kid when I started up. I already got rid of my office chair, so all I can do in my room is standing desk. :)

Yeah, me too. I don't know how to feel anything but grateful for the friends who helped me through all this. I'm also much more tired these days than I used to be. The sleep is definitely not as high-quality as I would like, but I'm definitely not in a position to complain about it. Fortunately, though, I only have one window to cover up, and I have the box fan to drown out the outside. Rest is coming. :)

Wheeeee!

Taking things in stride is... I've never really articulated it before. Part of it is a certain cold calm that I keep. I realized when I was younger that I had the power to determine the good or the bad of an event, and that further the good and the bad that I saw were never quite so pronounced as I thought they were. As such, they weren't worth the expenditure of emotional energy. It's kind of the same thing now. Homelessness and loss of dietary control suck, particularly for a personal trainer, but they're temporary things, and way better than the alternative.

And, if I'm straight up about it, my theology does play into that some. I don't know that I necessarily believe in a God who means for nothing but good things, because that would mean that he has no part in the bad things that happen - not only does he not have the power to stop them, but they're meaningless and serve no purpose but to make us suffer. I choose to believe that the bad things that happen have some deeper purpose, some meaning - either some refinement of my character, or the induction of humility, or to draw me nearer and show me how small I am. If that's the case, then the bad things that happen aren't anything more than the obstacles they're supposed to be, and it's my job to overcome them - not to prove my strength, but to point back to something greater than myself. If that makes sense.

Nice! Standing office, ftw! A friend of mine has a yoga ball in his office he uses in his room instead of a desk chair. Just a fun thought.

And Background noise fans are the best! xD

As for taking things in stride: That's awesome that you realized that in your youth. I still make a conscious effort when faced with trials to react the way I want. You choose how you look at a situation, and your reaction can make or break you. At least make or break stress levels. I'm glad your beliefs help you so much and you keep those foremost in your mind. ;) Liek RP says, you constantly amaze me, Sempei. :)

It's been... difficult not to be creepy. Not that I'm looking for excuses to watch her or anything, God, no. I just mean. Like. It makes me nervous, and all the weird and nerdy things that I would normally keep to myself seem to just come out and serve no purpose at all. It doesn't seem to have made things bad, fortunately. And... when I think of her, I feel this fullness in my chest that I didn't feel before. It's strange.

Bah. I should ask her out so that she can reject me and get it over with. I don't have time for this.

Word of friendly advice (I know you didn't ask, so ignore me if it is unwanted): be careful when you think of asking her out.

Living with her is...a complication.

On one hand, if you want to get the stress over with and are ready for rejection, you still have to keep living with her. And...that can be more awkward than just having a secret crush. For you AND for her. Worst case she may even ask you to leave if she feels uncomfortable.

On the other hand, say she agrees to go out with you. Now you are essentially living with someone you JUST started dating. And...given your beliefs/practices may prove to be worse off, temptation-wise.

Just think on that. I know "getting it over with" has it's own advantages (belief me, I'm the first to tell people to just go for it) because rejection or acceptance both can be stress relieving, but I think you should to consider waiting until after you're in your own place. Hell, then you could even tell her that you felt you grew closer to her while you were around her so much and would like to give things a try if she is willing. ;)

Ok. </cheechoestwosense>

*hugs*

• Like 1

Oh no!!! That sucks :( I should go back and look to see if all mine are still there. I still have our PM's from back in the day ;)

I'd really like to read some of my old ones too. I got much love when my boxing coach died. Also, just to see my progress (or lack there of and find the trend). So useful.1

Nice! Standing office, ftw! A friend of mine has a yoga ball in his office he uses in his room instead of a desk chair. Just a fun thought.

And Background noise fans are the best! xD

As for taking things in stride: That's awesome that you realized that in your youth. I still make a conscious effort when faced with trials to react the way I want. You choose how you look at a situation, and your reaction can make or break you. At least make or break stress levels. I'm glad your beliefs help you so much and you keep those foremost in your mind. ;) Liek RP says, you constantly amaze me, Sempei. :)2

Word of friendly advice (I know you didn't ask, so ignore me if it is unwanted): be careful when you think of asking her out.

Living with her is...a complication.

On one hand, if you want to get the stress over with and are ready for rejection, you still have to keep living with her. And...that can be more awkward than just having a secret crush. For you AND for her. Worst case she may even ask you to leave if she feels uncomfortable.

On the other hand, say she agrees to go out with you. Now you are essentially living with someone you JUST started dating. And...given your beliefs/practices may prove to be worse off, temptation-wise.

Just think on that. I know "getting it over with" has it's own advantages (belief me, I'm the first to tell people to just go for it) because rejection or acceptance both can be stress relieving, but I think you should to consider waiting until after you're in your own place. Hell, then you could even tell her that you felt you grew closer to her while you were around her so much and would like to give things a try if she is willing. ;)

Ok. </cheechoestwosense>

*hugs*3

1: Yeah. Well, FWIW, we'll keep on lovin' on you here too, 'cuz you're awesome.

2: Definitely thinking about the yoga ball. Even if I didn't use it as a sitting implement, it'd be useful if I end up going back to doing BtGB, as a low tech solution to a progression problem.

I just ran the fan to see if it could cancel out the noise in this place. Oh yeah. Oh, ho ho ho, yeah.

It's just how I learned to be. It's a habit/skill. You can develop it too, I promise.

3: Oh, absolutely! I was gonna wait 'til today, since today was the day that I was getting out from under her roof. That way, the awkwardness couldn't hang around. And, also, with the rain being on, if things had gone wrong, I could have been all

raining_david_tennant_nosedrip.gif

which would have been fine with me. But yeah, I was totally gonna wait to speak up until after she was gonna have to put up with me anymore. 'cuz I'm a gentleman. I made that comment to Mistr because it was the last night I was gonna be at her place. The only reason I didn't is because she ended up being in the middle of showering and I had an appointment with the landlord to get the first month's rent and pick up keys and such. I just ran out of time. (GRRRRRdammit. After convincing myself to just think small and not worry about the outcome. GRRRRRR.)

So, I was following your advice, even if I didn't know it. Thank you for it, though. :)

Well ...... sounds like things are going well.  No standing out in the rain, looking like a cute puppy???

support group

• Like 1

Some kind of Jedi .....

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

“THE QUESTION ISN'T WHO IS GOING TO LET ME; IT'S WHO IS GOING TO STOP ME?” Ayn Rand

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49

Dude, I'm definitely excited about you getting your own place. Be warned though, it is trying at times without a physical person to speak with. When my roommate moved out in January, I didn't realize this, but now, I kinda miss the whole "being able to talk to a live human being" thing.

And the food. THE FOOD! Definitely will see more results if your calories come from quality sources. But yes, there is much of it. Even eating around 4000 calories a day right now, I still consume way more food than a majority of people. But I love food. And I love cooking my food. It's one of my hobbies, and I hadn't even realized it (by the way, I discovered this a few days ago, but if you cook brown rice with some rosemary, chives, and a little pat of butter, it's like eating a little bowl of heaven).

Keep the work up, and ask the girl out! The worst she can do is say no!

• Like 1

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

STR: 8   STA: 10

AGI: 10   WIS: 5

CON: 7   CHA: 4

We must DARE to be GREAT;

and we must realize that GREATNESS is

the FRUIT of TOIL and SACRIFICE and HIGH COURAGE

Congrats on your own place.  I have to disagree though, I think you only miss the physical presence of others if you don't interact with them a lot as a part of you job, or if you're really extroverted.  I recently got my own place and I don't miss people at all.   Enjoy your privacy and quiet time.  

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Str- 18, Dex-12, Sta-10, Con-23, Wis-88, Cha-47

"Not all who wander are lost."

"We Shall Not Practice Fear"

Current Battlelog

Just got myself caught up with you Kishi!  Sounds like you've had a pretty eventful couple weeks.  Hopefully it slows down for you and you can get some kind of equilibrium back soon.  

As for taking things in stride: That's awesome that you realized that in your youth. I still make a conscious effort when faced with trials to react the way I want. You choose how you look at a situation, and your reaction can make or break you. At least make or break stress levels. I'm glad your beliefs help you so much and you keep those foremost in your mind. ;) Liek RP says, you constantly amaze me, Sempei. :)

This is something I struggle with every day.  I love the calm you show through everything.  I don't know how you do it, but I definitely like the example you set.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Welp. Lost internet yesterday, wasn't able to post the challenge or anything like that. And, there's no time for things now either. I'm working lots of hours, and suddenly people got interested in me (no romance, though. Yet. Probably won't happen, though, because it's me). I'll get around to y'all at some point, but for the moment my nose is totally glued to the grindstone.

But I'm not dead. I'll get back to all y'all when I can.

• Like 3

(no romance, though. Yet. Probably won't happen, though, because it's me)

Please don't do this!!  The spoken word has power.  It took me a long time to realize that by speaking that I was terrible with romance, I was making myself terrible at it.  I know it's hard, trust me, but please speak positive things!  You're a great person who is always helpful around here, and I'm sure you are IRL too.  Keep it positive and I'm sure you'll get what you're looking for.  Maybe not this time, but over time it will happen.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Welp. Lost internet yesterday, wasn't able to post the challenge or anything like that. And, there's no time for things now either. I'm working lots of hours, and suddenly people got interested in me (no romance, though. Yet. Probably won't happen, though, because it's me). I'll get around to y'all at some point, but for the moment my nose is totally glued to the grindstone.

But I'm not dead. I'll get back to all y'all when I can.

Glue that sucker to the grind stone.  Get life settled, we'll hold the fort whilst you're away.  Promise Cheechoe and I won't throw any wild parties. Heh heh heh.

Suddenly people got interested in me (no romance, though. Yet. Probably won't happen, though, because it's me).

Please don't do this!!  The spoken word has power.  It took me a long time to realize that by speaking that I was terrible with romance, I was making myself terrible at it.  I know it's hard, trust me, but please speak positive things!  You're a great person who is always helpful around here, and I'm sure you are IRL too.  Keep it positive and I'm sure you'll get what you're looking for.  Maybe not this time, but over time it will happen.  

^THat

That's the nice version of what I was going to say.  Just... imagine something overly snarky and blunt that's me yelling at you along those same lines.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Double quoted for emphasis.  My grandmaster gave me grief about this during my first Hapkido class and it stuck with me ever since, in every aspect of my life.  The second you think something won't happen, you'll MAKE it not happen.

Just ask, no matter what she says you'll be a better you from the experience.  Either she says yes, and if so:

If not, you at least tried and removed some of the trepidation of repeating the exercise again in the future with someone else (or maybe her again once she realizes what we all already know).

Also how you ask is super important, it only turns weird afterwards if you let it.

• Like 1

lvl 4 Astartes Monk STR 8.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 6.5 | DEX 7.75 | WIS 10 | CHA 7.25

"Burn the Calorie, Kill the Workout, Purge the Apathy"

Push Up Challenge: Yellow Belt (36)

and suddenly people got interested in me (no romance, though. Yet. Probably won't happen, though, because it's me)

Imma tell you one thing I have learned to be super true coaching... They won't be interested in you if you're not interested in you. They won't like you if you don't feel worthy of their affection. Believe you are a wonderful, loving person, and they'll see that in you and be attracted to it. Positivity really helps, man.

OMG I JUST SOUNDED LIKE MY MOTHER.

I'm going to go hide now.

But what I said is true.

I swear.

*hides*

• Like 3

Level 24 Frost Archer ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Current Challenge: thekatisalie is back :: no seriously this time

MyFitnessPal || Strava || SmashRun || Twitch

I Instagram. I tweet. I cosplay

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines