Hurley's still flying

It's my third challenge and I'm still flying! If you've been with me since the beginning, Welcome back! If this is your first time stopping in, Welcome and I hope you get a chuckle from all my typos and odd sentences. I apparently have a thing against proof reading before I hit post, lol.

I've decided to focus my third challenge around whole body well being. This means I will be focusing on body, mind, and dental (nothing gross I promise).

Main Quest

Lose 10 pounds/ 2-3 inches by Columbus Day weekend (October).

My doctor wants 20 something, but I've looked at the calendar and that's just not possible for me. This gives me roughly 1 pound per week. If I don't reach it, well, that's okay because right now even 5 pounds will make me happy. And while I am obsessed with the number on the scale it's actually the inches that really matter. If my clothes continue to fit better all the better!

Challenge 3 Goals

1) Do my strength training DVD 1x a week

2) Practice my Swedish 30 minutes a week

3) Wear my retainer at least 3x a week

To help move along my weight loss I know I need to get into strength training. Last challenge I failed with the BBWW. Half of it was due to injury and the other half was because it's just not my style of working out. I need a DVD or personal trainer to follow. Since right now I can't afford a personal trainer I will do my DVDs that I've collected over the year. I will complete one workout at least once a week.

I'm going to be an auntie!! And my future niece/nephew is going to be speaking Swedish along with English. And knowing my brother's child, it will speak Swedish when it's trying to say something bad to us thinking we don't understand. Also, it will also be really nice to talk to my sister-in-law and her family in their language, so I'm attempting to learn. I've bought Rosetta Stone and will complete at least one lesson a week. 

My retainers, the bane of my existence. Okay, not really, but I've become really lax as of late with wearing them. I went through years of wearing braces and got my teeth so nice and straight. Not so much anymore. I've already had to get a new bottom retainer a handful years ago last time I got lax. Now the teeth are on the move again. I need to get them back in line. So, I must wear my retainers three times a week. I can't let my parents money go to complete waste.

As with last challenge, I will reward myself by getting my cartilage re-pierced if I can drop my weight back into the 170s (only 4 pounds away). I've been wanting to do this for years, but haven't. This gives me some nice motivation.

I can do this!

• Like 3

"You won't find your answers by looking to the stars. It's a journey you'll have to take by looking inside yourself. You must write your destiny..." Christopher Reeve as Dr. Virgil Swann

Current challenge

Old Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th9th, 10th11th, 12th, 13th, 14th

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

Yay, another challenge! Good goals and great reward! I'll be following you again :D

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

These goals are great!

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

I should probably post this in my neglected battle log, but for me this is an unspoken part of my challenge so I'm going to post it here :)

I got my three days of cardio in. Completed my third day this morning. Wasn't feeling it, but I did it anyway. I also forgot my ipod in my purse in the trunk of my car, so it was rather boring.

If the weather holds up and my friend and I can find a place to rent, we are going kayaking tomorrow. And, because I'm apparently a glutton for punishment, I might re-dye my red jeans yet again. They aren't the exact shade of red I was going for and they still look pink to me in some light. I'm insane.

• Like 1

"You won't find your answers by looking to the stars. It's a journey you'll have to take by looking inside yourself. You must write your destiny..." Christopher Reeve as Dr. Virgil Swann

Current challenge

Old Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th9th, 10th11th, 12th, 13th, 14th

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

LOL. Yes, you might be a little insane but if they're not right I don't blame you for trying again. the kayaking sounds fun! Have a great weekend.

• Like 1

Thanks! I hope it's a good weekend. After the last few days at work, I really need a good weekend.

I realized at some point today that part of the reason I want to re-dye the pants is because right now it's the one part of my life that I can have control over. But the majority of it is that they just aren't the color I was going for. I'll probably bring them up to my brother's tonight and walk around the house with them, see what color I'm seeing there. Maybe I need to buy the scarlet dye instead of the cherry red. Oh well, I'll figure something out. If the kayaking doesn't happen I'll make that my project with my friend. If I re-dye it needs to be tonight or tomorrow. Sunday I need to (okay, don't need to, but really want to) take the cats to petco and get them fitted for harnesses. A) Because they need to learn the carrier is not just for the vet and B) It will be nice to take them out in the yard and still have full control over where they go so they can't get in trouble. Yes, I'm a slightly crazy cat person.

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

Ow, ow, ow. I did got kayaking today. Wasn't sure it was actually going to happen since I was going with the friend who kept on cancelling on me when we tried to go snowshoeing. But we went. For an hour. And my arms are already killing me. I definitely got my upper body workout.

• Like 1

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

It sounds like you had lots of fun and an awesome workout! I haven't been kayaking for years, I might look into doing it again. 

I did have fun. And the hour went by quick. I don't know when our arms started to hurt but we were like "I'm sore, but I don't want to head back because I think it's only been 10 minutes!" It was just so relaxing. Paddle for a few minutes, stop and float, paddle some more, float some more. If you get the chance I recommend going. I'll probably end up going again before the summer ends.

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

Thanks Unikarm! It will be tough learning, I had a horrible time learning French in high school. But I refuse to have a niece or nephew who can talk back to me and get away with it. I know my sister-in-law will help. And I have three other friends who live in or near Sweden that will help. Of those friends, two are native speakers and one has learned. So I plan on utilizing all 4 of them as much as possible. Also, post-it notes. The house is going to be covered with post-it notes as I learn the names of items. Hopefully the parents don't mind and the cats don't steal them, lol.

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

Yea, they most likely will, lol.

Goal: Do my strength training DVD 1x a week.

Done and done! Got up and did it already this morning. My arm is shaking. Granted it is the arm of the wrist that's been giving me problems, so there's probably a connection there. Seeing the chiro tomorrow so I'll bring it up.

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

I feel like I haven't updated in forever, but it's only been a few days. Life got extremely hectic and I may have sunk into a mini depression. I ended up calling my best friend in Ohio in tears last night. Everything seemed so trivial when I was explaining my last two weeks. And really it is, but it just hit me hard. I have two theories as to why. A) I've caught my cats cold and me being tired and crying is because I'm sick. B ) I'm crying because I'm tired (I cry when I get exhausted), and I'm tired because I've been waking up at 6am so I can work out before work and my body just can't adjust. I'm thinking it's more along the lines of theory B. I'm going to keep at it for another week or two, see what happens. But I think I'm going to switch to working out right after work. One of the first things out of my friends mouth when she picked up the phone was asking me if I was sleeping because I sounded tired. And that was just after a couple sentences from me. That's bad when she can hear it over the phone. :(

Apparently yesterday was not my last day of chiro. I went in this morning and next Wednesday is my last day. He says I'm making good progress. I tend to agree. My hand isn't going as tingly as it use to. I haven't asked about things I can do for my posture and whatnot because we've been distracted about my costume for Comic Con next weekend. I wore my pants today and everyone loves them. Can't wait for next weekend :)

As for my goals. As I posted Tuesday, I've done my 1 day of strength training. If I have the energy this weekend I'll throw in an extra day since I've been slacking on my cardio this week and also eating like crap due to stress at work. I haven't practiced my Swedish yet, but it's suppose to rain all day tomorrow so I think that's a good thing to do since I won't be able to get out and do some archery like I had planned.

I've also been debating about taking up swimming. I believe I had mentioned it in my last challenge. Since we figured out it wasn't carpal tunnel I'm revisiting the possibility of starting (again). It's either going to be that or taking the Aqua WTS class again (strength training but in the pool with weights). I know that I will get more out of the swimming but the only thing holding me back is that the class is at 6am. The only time I do 6am is when the alarm is going off then, not having to be somewhere and active then. Though, if I switch my cardio to after work then I'll consider it more since it's only 1 day that I will be waking up before 7:30am.

Now I need to go do some work and hopefully wake up. I woke up with a sinus headache at 4:30 this morning and I just have a dull ache right behind my eyebrows now and my eyes just feel tired. I know I look tired and I didn't have time to deal with makeup this morning so my dark circles are really showing. Thank goodness it's Friday and I can just sleep until I go to the movies Sunday afternoon.

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

My doctor wants 20 something, but I've looked at the calendar and that's just not possible for me

No offense to any that are in the medical field; but I f@#ing hate doctors and seem to but heads with them.  You do what's reasonable for you.  Healthy loss is 1-2 but that also varies with a few factors.

and I'm tired because I've been waking up at 6am so I can work out before work and my body just can't adjust. I'm thinking it's more along the lines of theory B.

Wait, I thought your goal was 1 dvd a week, so you're working out once a week...

I got my three days of cardio in. Completed my third day this morning.

...Ohhhh.  That is TOTALLY supposed to be a goal.

If 3 cardio days and 1 strength dvd per week is too much then dial it back.  Honestly, 2-3 times per week is enough. If that feels easy, then bump it up to 3-4.  Track how you're feeling.

If you have questions, feel free to send me a message (How to PM and follow/ ) or post at the Tavern (Tavern ) . Don't forget to check out the minis if you want ( Minis).

If you wake up at 6 for the workouts and that feels like way too early; then what is your normal wake up time?  My normal time nowadays is 5am so regardless of if I work out; I'm awake and doing stuff before 6.  Also, what's your bedtime?

Yea, I was doing 4 days of working out. Three days of cardio and 1 day with the DVD. I did it last week and I seemed fine. Tired, but not exhausted. Totally different this week. Did the treadmill Monday morning for 45 minutes (aka: 1 episode of Buffy, lol). Then Tuesday I woke up and did the strength DVD. I believe that was roughly 20 minutes. Not entirely sure. Wednesday I got up to do the treadmill again, but I was just so tired I couldn't summon the energy to walk back up the stairs to change after I ate breakfast. I fell asleep on the couch for another hour until my mom came down. Yesterday I just skipped working out and slept in. But today I had my appointment at 8am so I woke up at 6:30. I'll try dialing it back next week, see how I feel.

If I wasn't working out in the morning I would normally be waking up sometime between 7-7:30. Work nights I normally go to bed between 10pm-11. But I moved it to 9pm-10 when I started waking up at 6. If I pack my gym bag and make lunch the night before I can push it to 6:30, but I typically forget to do one or the other. On the weekends I'm usually up sometime between 9 and 10, going to bed sometime between 10 and midnight. I sleep, a lot. I average 8 hours, but have been known to do 12. But I hardly ever just sleep straight through the night. I get up at least once to use the bathroom and sometime around 4:30am I start to sleep on an off until I either just give up and get up, or fall back into a deep sleep around 8 (which are the days I then sleep until 10).

• Like 2

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

we all need totally different amounts of sleep, but - I think you were talking about your thyroid or some kind of imbalance earlier in this or another challenge? if you are having a hard time getting enough rest that can also an effect of an imbalance. just something to think about.

I've got a 9:30 bedtime for a 5Am wakeup call and it is NOT enough sleep! by the end of the week I am crashing hard. today was the worst in a while, because I had a couple of evenings this week where I was up later than bedtime. yaaaawn.

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Last challenge. Yea, my chiropractor suggested I may have an under active thyroid and suggested I see my primary about it. I'll add my sleeping habits to my list. I was actually thinking about that as I was typing that last post.

I've been reading your posts as I get the notification in my email. You have been one busy girl! I have several things to comment on (yay for the underwear putting on and getting in and out of the tub!) so I'll be stopping by either tonight or tomorrow to make my comments :) And 5am? What is this 5am you speak of? Lol.

[Edit] Stupid wrong words in sentences...

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

And some pictures! For this challenge and next I'm going to use this dress for my progress photos. This is the dress that I hope to wear to my friends wedding.

yduvunaq.jpg

3yremuhu.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Tapatalk

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

Did the treadmill Monday morning for 45 minutes (aka: 1 episode of Buffy, lol). 

I do this! But on my elliptical. I have been through my Buffy and Angel boxsets three times since I got my machine, I just zone out to the awesome Whedon-ness. 

That's a really lovely dress too, and I like the cat throwing you shade in the background!

• Like 1

Yea, he photo bombed me. Didn't even realize he was in my room until I saw the picture, lol. He's now sitting at my feet giving me Puss In Boots eyes. He's feeling so lost with his sister being sick.

I'm only 4 episodes into Buffy. I like it. I told myself I will only watch it when on the treadmill, but I'm usually on the elliptical (and I've been rewatching Young Justice while on that) so I haven't had much time to watch it. I might change that soon.

I'm surprised I could zip up the dress. It's a size 12 and I haven't worn it in like 2 years. Pretty sure I've gained 6-8 pounds since I last wore it. I didn't try sitting in it, though. Next month at picture time I'll give it a try.

Weight and measurements to come on Friday.

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

Buffy is my first love. It's like a warm blanket that I crawl into whenever I'm feeling sad. The first season isn't the best, but season 2 will get you hooked! It's a great idea to watch something while working out!

• Like 2

level 2 Hobbit. Assassin-in-training

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 1|WIS 3|CHA 1

Current Challenge: There and back again

Previous Challenges 1 2

"I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone." Gandalf the Grey

I keep being told season 2 is much better, so I'll stick it out :) Maybe I'll relax my "only while on the treadmill" rule and just binge watch the rest of the season this week so I can get to the second one.

And agree, I love watching something while working out. Music just doesn't cut it. It stops me from watching the clock.

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

that is a super pretty dress! I was on an elliptical yesterday at PF and was kind of blown away by the television. we watch a lot of stuff on the computers, but we don't have a traditional tv set-up - and I"m really out of practice with the whole tv surfing thing. it was too much culture shock for me to handle all at once!

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines