The past two challenges I've been with the Rangers but for this challenge I wanted to take a step back and join the Adventurers again. 

I've found over those two challenges that while I was exercising and eating ok, there were far too many cheat days. I need to start back near the beginning and work on getting that consistency. Make exercising and eating healthy the norm. 

My holiday starts the beginning of week 2 but I'm determined to keep this up while on holiday. 

Main Quest 

To be stronger, faster and happier! (Same as always)

1. Fitness

a. Exercise 3 times a week. 

b. Hard Hat challenge - Planking 30 day challenge

I'm not consistent with my workouts, I start out well but then one minor slip and I loose the routine. I will be doing the BodyWeight Level 2 from the academy. I also want to improve on my core so am doing the 30 day plank challenge as well. Will do this as soon as I wake up. 

2. Diet

a. Hard Hat Challenge - No Coke/Pepsi

b. Food Log

Drinking coke/pepsi is something I have struggled with for months. I managed, about Feb time, to complete 30 days of No Coke. I want to match that and even exceed it. I got a lot better last challenge in making the better choice but about midway through I struggled and fell several times because my parents brought cans for the fridge. I've talked to my parents and they will no longer buy coke for the house. There's only one bottle which is for when my sister visits. It is so much easier when the temptation is not there. 

I've started my food log this week and I'm finding it quite interesting. I didn't realise I ate so much bread or chocolate/ice cream (dessert like things). I am going to keep doing this and in week 2 reduce intake of one food and then again in week 4. 

3. Life

a. Chores everyday

b. Driving at 3 times a week.

Now I am back living at home with my family I want to help out more around the house. That means making sure certain chores are done everyday - e.g dishwasher emptied, dinner tided up, hoovering, washing...things like that. 

I don't like driving. But it is essential. I need to make sure my driving skills are kept up. That's means taking the car out 3 times a week - even if it is just to the shops in the next town over. (The only weeks this won't be possible is the first and last in august as I'm on holiday and the last week my sister will have the car)

Anyway that's my challenge: I'll actually be starting on Monday as I have a job interview tomorrow (Yes!) and then moving all my stuff down from Newcastle to Bristol over the weekend. My uni life will be officially over :(

• Like 1

Where can you find me?:  My Twitter  /  My Blog

Hi Gilly! I like your challenge goals and I love your staggered rewards idea. Good luck with your challenge and welcome to the post uni world (I wish I was a student again!)

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Thanks! 

I am already disliking the post uni world - that could be because I have no job yet so my days feel very long. (Hopefully that will change tomorrow).

The rewards took a lot of thought. My top reward is something I've been thinking about for ages but because it's expensive I haven't bought it. 

Going to be tough but I know I can do it!

Sigh, post uni life.  Being a grown up is hard.  But I like getting paid.... lol

It's interesting to look at what you eat, isn't it! When i did my whole30 last time I found I ate more sweets than I thought (just by wanting them, not actually eating them). When I was in university I kept a food journal for probably almost a year, and made a goal to try to eat based on Canada's food guide.  I actually lost weight considering it still looked like this:

food_guide_big.gif

5-12 Servings of grains

5-10 servings of fruits and vegetables

2-4 servings dairy

2-3 servings meat

I found that I could usually eat more (in the veggie category for sure - which I did).  I think I was largely successful because when you're meeting those requirements, it's a lot of food, plus there's no room for junk.  

The food guide has since been revised to put veggies higher than grains, and they've adjusted the servings based on age and gender.  

best of luck with this challenge! 

• Like 1

Looks like a solid plan to me.  Slow and steady wins the race.

I felt I needed to stick with the Consistency>Intensity plan for a few challenges now (only ramping things up this challenge because I have a Spartan Race).  My girlfriend got off soda by switching to Seltzer water. It has enough bubbles and flavor to feel like soda; but it's way better off to have.  She said that when she tried soda again, it tasted 'thick' and disgusting.  She has Polar brand, but I think that might only be around in the northeast.

Good luck with the job.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask me or post at the Adventurer's Tavern.

• Like 1

I agree with Teros on the soda water - I love carbonated water with fresh lime or lemon juice squeezed into it. Its like a healthy sugar free lemonade and it's really refreshing although it might take some getting used to. In fact, I'm drinking one right now! 

• Like 1

So this weekend has not been so great. I had to travel 6 hours to collect my uni stuff and then 6 hours home with it all. (it was a small workout moving all my stuff though - which makes up for the friday workout I missed)

This meant there were lots of sweets for the travelling part...which I unfortunately couldn't stop eating! 

I did however not have one sip of coke even though my cravings for it were strong especially towards the end of the day when I was tired. We had KFC for dinner (which isn't great we had to eat fast food due to time)and instead of ordering a pepsi like normal I got a bottle of water! Felt really good and I definitely did not miss/crave the pepsi taste when I was eating.

I'm going for the small wins, but my sweetie intake recently is definitely something I need to focus on limiting. 

• Like 1

I'm finding my motivation is severally lacking at the moment. I'm so tired all the time (the heat we've had recently doesn't help - sleeping is more uncomfortable). 

I had a slip today of drinking coke and a pepsi. I had picked a pepsi up to drink when we were out and spaced out until I had taken my first sip. I then had a glass of coke later on (again almost on auto pilot). Since that glass of coke I've made sure I'm more conscious about what I am drinking but I'm still annoyed with myself. I had been 15 days in a row.

Anyway, today I've cleaned my room and reorganised some stuff to make room for the things I've brought back from uni - only a little bit more unpacking to go now. Also gone through my wardrobe and either binned any clothes that can not be recycled/re-worn at charity shops or put clothes in a bag to go to the charity shop. My wardrobe is now a little cleaner although I still have a lot of t-shirts! 

Also yesterday I drove to my sister's town to pick her up and take her for coffee and see where my gran will be moving too, so did around an hour in the car. I felt a lot more comfortable than before, just need to practice my parking skills. 

• Like 1

Loving the hard hat aspect of your challenge, I'm going to be working with that at some point I think... it just doesn't fit in with my challenge this go around.

Also your rewards are aweseome! Great job not reaching for a pepsi even where that is totally normal, like at a fast food chain!

Sorry post-uni isn't quite shaping up to be exaclty what you were expecting so far, it definitely is a huge transition. But give it time, you'll get there!

Sorry post-uni isn't quite shaping up to be exaclty what you were expecting so far, it definitely is a huge transition. But give it time, you'll get there!

The process of looking for jobs then interviewing is so long and hard especially seeing as that is all I have to do with my free time. I've had four interviews so far and 3 have said no, hoping the fourth gets back to me soon. 

Well Steve's email about the NerdFitness Academy made me feel a little better in terms of motivation. My success story since joining was in the email. I forgot what I had written but seeing it again made me realise everything I had already achieved and that it had taken 9 months to get there. Slow and steady will get me there. 

Slow and steady will get me there. 

Exactly! And applying and interviewing for jobs is horrible but good luck on this job, fingers crossed. 

I'm going for the small wins, but my sweetie intake recently is definitely something I need to focus on limiting. 

Small wins add up, keep at it!!! 

I'm finding my motivation is severally lacking at the moment. I'm so tired all the time (the heat we've had recently doesn't help - sleeping is more uncomfortable). 

I had a slip today of drinking coke and a pepsi. I had picked a pepsi up to drink when we were out and spaced out until I had taken my first sip. I then had a glass of coke later on (again almost on auto pilot). Since that glass of coke I've made sure I'm more conscious about what I am drinking but I'm still annoyed with myself. I had been 15 days in a row.

Anyway, today I've cleaned my room and reorganised some stuff to make room for the things I've brought back from uni - only a little bit more unpacking to go now. Also gone through my wardrobe and either binned any clothes that can not be recycled/re-worn at charity shops or put clothes in a bag to go to the charity shop. My wardrobe is now a little cleaner although I still have a lot of t-shirts! 

Also yesterday I drove to my sister's town to pick her up and take her for coffee and see where my gran will be moving too, so did around an hour in the car. I felt a lot more comfortable than before, just need to practice my parking skills. 

That sucks that you broke your streak of no soda :(   I think this weekend I'm going to tackle my wardrobe.  I like to purge a few times a year.  I eventually want to move far away, so the less stuff I have the better!  Good for you with driving.  I know it can be tough.  I still don't really like having passengers with me.  and I've been driving for 12 years. 

Well Steve's email about the NerdFitness Academy made me feel a little better in terms of motivation. My success story since joining was in the email. I forgot what I had written but seeing it again made me realise everything I had already achieved and that it had taken 9 months to get there. Slow and steady will get me there. 

I'm super jealous that your email got a notice by Steve (p.s. total crush on that guy!! ;) )  don't forget where you started, and you're not done yet! Be the amazing person you can be! 

I GOT THE BLOOMIN' JOB!!!!!!!!!

So happy right now!!!!!!!!!

I will be an Analyst once I'm past the security clearances etc that I have to complete. 

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Job hunting sucks! I spent 8 months after finishing school looking for the job I wanted! Glad you didn't have to wait that long.  Just wait until you get your first paycheck :) That's always a good feeling! 

• Like 1

Fantastic! Congratulations! 

Thanks!

That sucks that you broke your streak of no soda :(   I think this weekend I'm going to tackle my wardrobe.  I like to purge a few times a year.  I eventually want to move far away, so the less stuff I have the better!  Good for you with driving.  I know it can be tough.  I still don't really like having passengers with me.  and I've been driving for 12 years. 

I'm super jealous that your email got a notice by Steve (p.s. total crush on that guy!! ;) )  don't forget where you started, and you're not done yet! Be the amazing person you can be! 

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Job hunting sucks! I spent 8 months after finishing school looking for the job I wanted! Glad you didn't have to wait that long.  Just wait until you get your first paycheck :) That's always a good feeling! 

Well today has been interesting. I got a job and then had my phone stolen...thankfully it was found by a security guard so I now have it back - but god that was stressful! Unfortunately when we went to have dinner my phone was still missing and because I was stressed it meant I had some more coke, however I did not pig out on the pizza - I only had two slices and no dessert so there is that. 

Tomorrow is definitely a new day - I might change my phone screen to something that says No coke for you as a way to remind me. 

I was reading the email and I was like this is really familiar and it then clicked and I was a little bit shocked. Something like that has never happened to me before. 

And thanks! Can't wait - it means my rewards are a lot more accessible now!

Also forgot to say I brought a resistance band for pull ups which arrived today - so will be using that for tomorrows workout! I've tried it out today and it works really well.

Also went driving again today - had to park twice so def getting the practice in now. Tomorrow will be my last chance to drive this week so will probably go pick up my sister so I can complete that part of the challenge. 

And last but not least everything from uni is now unpacked other than my imac - my room now feels 100% more nerdier as all my figures and funko's are displayed. 

• Like 1

You may switch to Adventurer, but you're not getting away that easily!

/sub

• Like 2

Level 10 Superhero Trainee (Ranger)

Str 20   Dex 12   Sta 15   Con 15   Wis 13   Cha 16

My Battle Log: Getting Back on the Horse

Challenges! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

NerFiWriCh Completed: 1!

My book! The Mercenary's Guide to Ruined Seattle.

To all you saints and sinners!

You losers and you winners!

Here's to one more day above the roses!

so today I did completed the driving challenge for this week - went on the motorway too. I really don't like driving with my dad in the car though, he makes me so nervous I end up making more mistakes. 

Also now I'll be working during the week I'll need to cut the driving part of the challenge down to either two or one day a week, as there will really only be the weekends that I'll have the chance to drive. 

Got a load of forms to fill out for my new job which meant I have yet to workout as they were more urgent. So will hopefully get a small workout done after dinner. Probably just some push ups and pull ups with a finisher of Bring Sally Up Squats. Will do my daily plank once I've written this post. 

Tomorrow I go on holiday for a week! Will be the first time I attempt to stick to a routine when I'm on holiday but I'm being positive, and saying it will go well. 

• Like 1

I might change my phone screen to something that says No coke for you as a way to remind me.

Research has been done that the way you frame things makes a huge difference.  When people say "I can't" vs "I don't", the position of authority changes.  If you say, 'I can't have coke' or 'No coke for you', the authority almost feels like someone else dictating to you; like a parent would.  Saying, "I don't drink coke" is completely different since now the authority is YOU.  It changes where your consciousness is.  Just figured I'd point that out.

If you have questions, feel free to send me a message (How to PM and follow/ ) or post at the Tavern (Tavern ) . Don't forget to check out the minis if you want ( Minis).

Good luck and have fun this challenge :)

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines