Oramac picks up the sword again; "I think he knows which end to hold"

Oramac

Usually google maps has links to reviews. I'd find someone good that's convenient to get to.

Hope its not serious.

On pushups... I wouldn't necessarily say any variation is harder than another. It depends on what you train.

Diamond pushups tend to load the triceps. Declined pushups... Feet raised?... These would emphasize three upper chest. Standard pushups load everything more evenly.

Generally speaking:

Width affects chest vs. triceps, narrower = triceps, wide = pecs

Changing back angle will change the loading higher or lower in the chest. So raising the feet loads upper pecs and anterior delts, lowering them loads the pecs and possibly even the lats more.

So"harder" is just a matter of isolation. Standard pushups are "easier" because they recruit more muscle groups, and load them more lightly.

• Like 3

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

Quick update.  I took yesterday off work and just stayed at home to rest.  My back is feeling much, much better.  Not 100%, but I'd say about 90%.  I'm just optimistic enough that I brought my gym gear with me to work today, just in case.  I'll be keeping an eye on it, so to speak, throughout the day, and might (MIGHT) go to the gym tonight.  

As for the doctors, I think I've narrowed it down to 3 or 4 different choices, though I'm still up in the air about which one of them would be best to see.  Honestly I never thought I'd have the problem of too many doctors to choose from.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Heh, not the usual problem certainly.  Maybe rest it another day to be sure?  Your back is not something to mess with.

True.  Sitting here at work and it's definitely still bothering me.   Not getting worse, I think, but I'm definitely feeling it.  I think I will err on the side of caution and skip the gym today.  :(

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

So"harder" is just a matter of isolation. Standard pushups are "easier" because they recruit more muscle groups, and load them more lightly. 

"load them more lightly" is the key phrase here - gravity is what makes decline pushups harder. wide v tight yeh thats working different muscle groups, but changing elevation is increasing the amount of weight you are pushing (as a % of total BW - incline < standard < decline < handstand/planche). 

My back is feeling much, much better.  Not 100%, but I'd say about 90%.

you know what they say - you dont get stronger working, you get stronger resting ;) rest for now and then come back at full capacity and smash all the things!

• Like 1

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

"load them more lightly" is the key phrase here - gravity is what makes decline pushups harder. wide v tight yeh thats working different muscle groups, but changing elevation is increasing the amount of weight you are pushing (as a % of total BW - incline < standard < decline < handstand/planche). 

you know what they say - you dont get stronger working, you get stronger resting ;) rest for now and then come back at full capacity and smash all the things!

Probably it is good that you rested. No sense in being able to deadlift a ton now if you're gonna need someone to lift you out of bed later, you know?

True enough on both counts. It just kinda pisses me off since next week I'm going on vacation and won't be able to set foot in a gym all of next week either.  I think my main lesson for this challenge is the look at ALL SIX weeks during the planning phase, and tailor it on a week by week basis, or something like that.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

True enough on both counts. It just kinda pisses me off since next week I'm going on vacation and won't be able to set foot in a gym all of next week either.  I think my main lesson for this challenge is the look at ALL SIX weeks during the planning phase, and tailor it on a week by week basis, or something like that.  

^ this. I never do this and then when I fail because I didn't, I feel terrible. Here's to learning this time, right??

• Like 1

Level 24 Frost Archer ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Current Challenge: thekatisalie is back :: no seriously this time

MyFitnessPal || Strava || SmashRun || Twitch

I Instagram. I tweet. I cosplay

^ this. I never do this and then when I fail because I didn't, I feel terrible. Here's to learning this time, right??

Heh.  Tell me about it!  I'm upset by it, but there's not much I can do about it.  So yes, here's to learning!  :very_drunk:

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Our resident hobbit's approach to challenges works really well for that.  Each week you're getting something new and fresh to do that keeps you hoppin' mentally and physically.  I keep meaning to steal her methods and then forget and do my usual stuff.

• Like 2

lvl 4 Astartes Monk STR 8.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 6.5 | DEX 7.75 | WIS 10 | CHA 7.25

"Burn the Calorie, Kill the Workout, Purge the Apathy"

Push Up Challenge: Yellow Belt (36)

Hows it feeling today?

Better.  At this point it's kinda sporadic.  It'll be pain-free for a few hours, and then BAM!  out of nowhere it hurts like hell.  Nothing even changes, it just decides I need a wake up call or something.  

Our resident hobbit's approach to challenges works really well for that.  Each week you're getting something new and fresh to do that keeps you hoppin' mentally and physically.  I keep meaning to steal her methods and then forget and do my usual stuff.

You mean the hobbit that posted right above you?  Yea, she's pretty freakin awesome.  And very creative for a hobbit too.  I feel like I might steal her methods for the next challenge too.  Ok, Cheechoe!?!  :D

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Just letting everyone know I'll be out of town until Sunday, with very limited access to a computer.  Not that it really matters.  This Challenge is pretty well shot to hell anyway.  But I'm gonna do my best to do something while I'm gone.  

Talk to y'all later! 

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Something is better than nothing, man. Just do it. Forget the challenge - it's life, now!

Yes sir!  I did do something.  Not much, but something.  I'll talk about that below.

Ok, Mr. Travels.

Hope to see ya for Week 6! :)

Thank you, my favorite Hobbit!  I'll be here.  Week 6 is still gonna be a little jacked up, but should be considerably better than weeks 4 and 5.  

=================================================================================================================================

Ok!!  Got back late last night, and I'm at work bright and early this morning!  Because I was a dumbass and signed up to work the holiday.  Yea, not to bright.  I know.  

Anyway, the vacation was pretty well.  Got to see my entire extended family (which is only like 18 people. lol).  Spent 2 full days in a car going up there and coming back.  That was fun.  :(  Ten hour drives to Michigan are awesome.  Let me tell ya.  I did see my grandparents, which is great because they're getting older and my grandma isn't doing as well as she was.  It was also really cool to see them see their great-grandson (my nephew).  There's not too many people out there who can say that.  Though my nephew won't remember it, as he's barely over a year old.  But it's still cool.  

BONUS!  I got a free lesson in squat form from the nephew!

Aiden-01_zps79797ac2.jpg

Check that out!  I'm gonna get a barbell on his shoulders yet! (ok, maybe not for several years.  But eventually!)

As for actual working/eating out over the week, well, that didn't go so well.  I managed to walk .9 miles one day, and probably another cumulative 2-3 miles just with doing family stuff.  Did very truncated bodyweight workouts through the week as well.  I'm talking like one set of squats and pushups, and nothing else.  Better than nothing, but hardly great.  

BUT!!  The last day of the trip I stayed at the hotel with my sister and her husband, and the hotel actually had a pretty damn good fitness center.  No squat rack, sadly, but they had a fill set of dumbbells!  So I managed a good dumbbell workout on Sunday.  

DB Bench: 5x5 @ 30

DB Squats 5x5 @ 45

Trap Raises 5x5 @ 10

DB Deadlift 5x5 @ 50

Overall, not too bad.  And I actually have some DOMS today, so I guess it was pretty good.  

Glad to be back, and I'm optimistic about the next week and moreso about the next Challenge! 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

hey, you did stuff on vacation with the family.  Awesome work.  Did you get the nephew started with a light saber yet?

Thanks man.  I've been kinda down for this challenge because I've had basically 2 weeks of nearly nothing happening.  I appreciate the support a ton!

The lightsaber is happening soon.  Probably for Christmas.  He just turned 1 in July (he's big for his age).  So there's time.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Knit and crochet versions exist for the very little ones :-)

Eh, a bunch of us had crappy weeks 4 and 5.  Don't stress it.  Just smash week 6.

I can actually get one of the low-end Ultrasabers for like $65 which isn't too bad.  And it'll be nearly impossible for him to break it, which is a plus.  

Week 6 won't be smashed, but it'll at least be useful. 

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

do your best but dont write yourself off too early yo! use this as a swing week to get back into the groove for the next challenge maybe? 

Not a bad idea.  Especially since the next challenge includes my Tough Mudder.  Gotta be ready for that.  No way in hell I'm quitting it.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines