RisenPhoenix is granted Serenity

RisenPhoenix

Personal investment and commitment to a club generally increases with belt rank but it's not absolute.  Also, some of your fellow students may simply have less time available to commit.  Some people are also generally more reliable/organized than others.  You're both.  With the dedication that you've displayed, you're an obvious candidate for something like this.  Congrats :-)

Are fruit and nut bars something you'd be comfortable adding to your diet?  They're great to have on hand in case of those short calorie days or after class.  I carry Larabars everywhere with me for that reason.

Rucking in the rain.  You're crazy, the good way.

• Like 1

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Week 3 update.  Nothing terribly exciting, I'm afraid.  With my back feeling wonky I decided to take it easy this week.

1) I am a large, semi-muscular man

Nothing.  Nada.  Zip.  Not a single day at the gym.  And I didn't do as much stretching for my back as I wanted.  Been a crazy week overall with work and other commitments.

2) Who's flying this thing?

Whooo!  Made my 30 rucked sections this week!  So this goal is accomplished for this challenge.

Now lets see if in the next 3 weeks I can either drop my PR time or get 45 sections in.

3) This is a Fertile Land

Mostly set here.  Thinking of buying a few things, thinking of 'shopping' a bit in my parent's basement.  New Roommate hasn't moved in yet since he has an overlap between leases.  But pretty sure we got everything covered at this point. 

4) A Pretty Floral Bonnet

So.  It's dawned on me that with all the living situation things I need to spend money on (or would like to spend money on), plus a few spontaneous trips and expenditures (which were well worth it), I am a biiiit low on funds.  As in, I just paid more in bills this month than I actually make in a month.  Thankfully, I'm a stingy bastard, so I have a decent chunk saved up.  Buuuut I need to start budgeting.  So the "buying new clothes" part of the challenge might not fly as much.  I have plenty of clothes that are work appropriate.  I don't really need anything new.  So, disbanding that part of my challenge.

5) A suggestion that doesn't involve violence.

I owe you guys one.  And by "You guys" I mean a senior student told me to write something and I haven't yet.  Whoops.

In other news, I've been eating a lot.  A lot, a lot.  Like 3000 calories a lot.  It's been involving multiple servings of my calorie bomb pudding.  And I've officially changed out my yogurt at work for cottage cheese instead.  And if I'm honest, more than a few of the sweet snacks from the office kitchen have been pilfered and found their way into my stomach (in moderation - maybe a cookie every other day).  But even with the cookies/sweets... I'm still not doing bad, either in the category for carbs over all or calorie counts. 

And know what?  When I weighed myself Saturday, I was at 201#.  You know, lower than I've been in 3 months.  Scale has been re-hidden, and won't come out until the end of the challenge, but I'm interested in seeing if the uptick in calories helps me lose weight.  I certainly feel better.  Less groggy at the end of the day, body seems to be performing better, and now I can add "seems to be losing weight."  Kinda glad I decided to do this little experiment thing and eat more.  I'm thinking I need to up my activity level on MFP to active/very active, and just use that for my baseline.  I'll just have to make sure that I eat well under the amount on the (few) days I don't do any physical activity.

• Like 2

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Grats on the progress!  It is always strange to see weight loss as a result of increased caloric intake, I can logic it out but it still seems a bit odd from a 1+1 = 2 standpoint.

lvl 4 Astartes Monk STR 8.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 6.5 | DEX 7.75 | WIS 10 | CHA 7.25

"Burn the Calorie, Kill the Workout, Purge the Apathy"

Push Up Challenge: Yellow Belt (36)

Grats on the progress!  It is always strange to see weight loss as a result of increased caloric intake, I can logic it out but it still seems a bit odd from a 1+1 = 2 standpoint.

Thanks!  Yea, I'm trying to embrace the illogic of it all.  Really odd, since way back when I was gunning to eat ~2700 calories a day for a BIG deficit, when now I need that much as a baseline to function well.

So, um.  Can I get the recipe for calorie-bomb pudding?  For reasons.

Yes! You must share this recipe, so that I can stare in sadness as it blows my macros out of the water! :D

It's not a terribly difficult thing to make.

170g of greek yogurt (I've been using Fage 0%, because stores seem to have stopped stocking anything with fat in it *grumble* )

5-10g Baking cocoa (I've been using Hershey's Special Dark)

32g Peanut butter (2 tablespoons)

1 scoop chocolate protein powder (Mine is 75 calories per scoop, with 3.5g carbs and 13g protein)

Mix all together carefully (because the powdery stuff goes flying if you don't use a large enough bowl), and consume.  Sometimes I add a bit (like a table spoon) of almond milk to thin it out, because it's super thick.  Milk makes it a bit less dense.

But for 375 calories, you get 18g of fat, 38g of protein, and 21g of carbs.

If you switch out the peanut butter for liquidy coconut oil (1 tablespoon, easy to do in the summer, less so when it's chilly), you get a pudding with 315 calories, 16g fat, 32g protein, but only 14g carb.  Add another tablespoon in and you get a 445 calorie snack with 30g fat, 32g protein, and 14g carbs.

So yea.  Totally made Reese's and Almond Joy/Mounds pudding.  And I eat it regularly.  Because I need to.

I hear you on the needing to buy more clothes for less money. Have you checked out Effortless Gent's stuff? It looks pretty legit.

I have not.  Will definitely look into it later.

In other news, went to the gym this morning after taking almost a week and a half off.  After a rough morning (What happened to my sun at 0530?!? And I left my towel at home, which I realized when I pulled into the gym, so I had to jump back in my car to go grab it - thankfully I live only a few minutes away), the gym felt surprisingly good.  I stretched really well, so I didn't lift as much as I normally would, but that's fine, because I wanted to take it easy.  Definitely a good feeling to be back.

Squats:

45# 10x1

95# 5x1

115# 5x1

135# 5x1

155# 5x1

165# 5x1

175# 5x1

So initially I was going to stop at 135#, and do 10x3.  Just to ease myself back into things.  But 135# felt really nice.  Went up, went down, no twinges, form felt fairly solid.  So I decided to try 155#.  Which felt equally good.  So I tried 165#.  Heavier, but still decent, though my right hip decided to act up again as I got lower.  So I decided to hit 175# to see how I would handle it.  Took it off the rack easy enough, but the form of the squat itself was a little shaky.  But, since I was at 180# and worried how my back would be, getting to 175# and feeling mostly solid was a win.  And bonus, I'll be lifting with TinMan, StarGazer, and Raptron tomorrow, so I can pester them for advice/order ask them to record a few squats for me to look at.

BP:

95# 10x1

115# 5x1

135# 5x1

155# 5x1

I was running late.  So I skimpped.  But it felt decent enough.

Pull/Chin ups:

3/3

2/2

More on the running late.  These were rough though.  I need to start adding them in more often, maybe as a starting exercise.

All is good and right it seems on a Tuesday morning.

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I do have a Trader Joe's nearby, which means I have access to both full-fat Greek yogurt and chocolate protein powder - and protein is my hardest macro to keep up.  I see some tasty edible chocolate pudding in my future.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I do have a Trader Joe's nearby, which means I have access to both full-fat Greek yogurt and chocolate protein powder - and protein is my hardest macro to keep up.  I see some tasty edible chocolate pudding in my future.

It's kind of a wonder if you find yourself low on calories one day.  And I've almost managed to pass it by "health food haters," who claim everything I make is too healthy.  They kinda missed the boat on the breakdown of macros and what not...  But yea, done right, this can launch your protein up a great deal.

Can vouch, that pudding recipe is delicious.  Thanks again.

Back to the gym and had a good day!  Have fun with other Nerds tomorrow :-)

I can't remember when I found out about the baseline recipe, but damn I'm glad I tinkered with it.  Glad everyone enjoys it. :)

Thanks!  I've been a bit frazzled lately, so it'll be nice to see Nerds.  And then aikido seminar this weekend, so I'll be all the busy!

Nice to all that stuff! I thinking about going to lift and run this afternoon so I won't be going too heavy tomorrow. Plus I am planning to be helping Sister lift things and I can yell at you about how your right foot is turned out way more and that you should be able to squat more.

And this is why we are friends.

Speaking of, doing Stairs tomorrow?  Ska won't be at the 0630 group, and therefore I feel like you should step up. #verbalharvest

That pudding sounds so good. And what's with store only carrying non-fat? I can never find full-fat yogurt, either.

It really is a super nice dessert.  Probably could pass the small-human-approved test as well (if they like things a bit more dark chocolately).

And yea, it's so weird.  This seems to be a recent thing, which is why it annoys me so much.  I'd been getting the 2%, with occasional dips into the full fat, but no big tubs to be seen lately.  The only saving grace I have is that I decided to switch my yogurt to cottage cheese, and I can find the 4% fat/full fat versions of that pretty easily.  But still!  Annoying.

So.  Yesterday was AWESOME.

Woke up yesterday at 0530 to do what I almost always do now:  Stairs!  And not only Stairs, Stairs that TinMan gave a VERBAL (well, written message) for!!  So I woke up, bummed out a bit that it was still dark and barely beginning to be light when I left my apartment at 0600, and drove to the Stadium.  It seemed a little less crowded than it has been lately.  I think partly from the last few weeks of summer and people being away, and we're starting to get to the point where you need to push yourself to #JustShowUp, even on beautiful days. 

The workout was 40 sections.  I realized about 2 sections in that I forgot my handheld waterbottle in the car.  Knew it was going to make a very, very rough morning, as I didn't drink a lot of water the day before since I was busy in the lab.  But I remembered to start my timer (this is an important point), and started to chug away.  I used my old fallback breakfast of peanut butter banana oatmeal to get my morning started, so I was curious to see how my body would do, since it hasn't been fed that many carbs that early in the morning in a loooong while.  I was doing fairly well, and made it to section 19 before my body started to ask what I was doing.  By the time I was at section 8 I was more than a bit winded, but by that point we were given the 10 minute warning.  My only thought was "won't make the 40, should make the full tour no problem."  Around then Ska popped up and started cheering everyone on, and yelling at me to get moving.  The man knows how I work.  Definitely slowed down a bit between sections 10-5, but tried to push past that in the last 5 sections.  Got to section 1, and got up the sucker as fast as I could.  Ska tried to get me to get 38 (there was a cycle at the top of 1 where you were supposed to repeat the section 3 times to get to 40 sections), but I was so dead and there was no time left, so I just went to the back to lay down for a bit.  Fumbled a few seconds to get my phone out of my arm case to shut off the time.  Blindly did that, and saw it.

43:22.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is a PR for a full tour.  And not just a "barely squeaked out" PR, but a full damn minute.  Not nearly as close to the sub-40 minute mark I want, but I'll take it inching closer.

Get to work, and I had a busy day in the lab.  But, I signed paperwork (after a bit of negotiation for a bump in pay) that officially will make me a full time employee at my current job starting September 2.  And furthermore, I asked if the past 6 months I could get the accrued vacation time as part of a 'sign on bonus' - because I've been working 6 months without vacation, or overtime, or holidays.  I damn well deserve that time.  The director didn't outright say no, he was just unsure if he could logistically do that.  Helpfully, BroChick is in charge of that.  And her last day is tomorrow.  So I'm planning on charming her to hopefully get her to agree to giving me 6 months of accrued vacation time.  Which would be AWESOMER.  But over all, I'm no longer having to worry about employment for the foreseeable future.  Which is one MAJOR stress off my back.

After work, I went to CSC with TinMan, StarGazer, and Raptron.  Slightly dead from the morning, but I ended up doing Squats with a workset of 135#@10x2, and some OHP and DLs.  Really I wanted to focus on the squats, since I had people around to look at my form.  Some notes on that were:

-I need to watch my balance/centering on the bar, since one side seemed to dip lower

-My feet kick out at a wider angle, but they are symmetrical (as opposed to when I started and one foot was way turned out) and my knees are tracking over my toes fine

-Seems to be going to parallel, so not too shabby

-But my right hip is tight as a mother, so I need to loosen that

TinMan's girlfriend took some videos, so I'll post those when I get a chance.

After lifting we went to TinMan's apartment and had a game night, saving the world from 4 horrible-yet-colorful diseases.  And we did.  We kicked those diseases' butts.  And then StarGazer let me borrow books two and three in the Mistborn trilogy.  Score!  I like reading Material.

And to top everything off, New Roommate told me he's moving his stuff in to start living in the apartment starting Monday.  So he'll be moving in, which will make the apartment a bit more lively (though I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the quiet, but I doubt that large rackets will be an issue with this guy).

And this morning.  This morning I slept in, got to work early, and I'm sore as hell.  I feel FANTASTIC.

• Like 2

Thanks, everyone! Trying to convince my boss at the moment to give me a few days of vacation 'pre-banked,' based on the fact that I've been diligently working for 6 months with no complaints, no paid overtime, and a pretty good track record of getting shit done in a reasonable time frame.  We'll see.

Away for an aikido seminar this weekend to do weapons training.  Should be nice.  It's held at a junior instructor's house on Cape Cod, where he built his OWN DOJO FROM SCRATCH.  Seriously.  Two story barn + basement.  It's beautiful.  And fun to throw people around in.  Anyway, we train in his front yard.  This will be the third time I've gone.  Should be interesting to see how many cars stop to stare and/or honk.

I hate this sentence because it does not include "and Biggum." :(

Everything else I approve of. 

Well you should have come with us, then. Duh.

^That

You know Biggums, we seem to have a good deal of Nerds coming for the Spartan Sprint in November.  Just saying you could lift with us then.

• Like 5

You know Biggums, we seem to have a good deal of Nerds coming for the Spartan Sprint in November.  Just saying you could lift with us then.

As much as I approve of this sentiment, I owe the man a bottle of scotch and that comes pretty dear in the frozen north.  If you do decide to do so, could you make sure to keep everyone in the loop?  I need to make sure I have negotiated with the wife to spend the appropriate thankfulness in distilled form.  And maybe communicate which region you favour so I don't hand over a bottle of pure smoke and peat when you prefer sherried Speysides.

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

Away for an aikido seminar this weekend to do weapons training.  Should be nice.  It's held at a junior instructor's house on Cape Cod, where he built his OWN DOJO FROM SCRATCH.  Seriously.  Two story barn + basement.  It's beautiful.  And fun to throw people around in.  Anyway, we train in his front yard.  This will be the third time I've gone.  Should be interesting to see how many cars stop to stare and/or honk.

Wow - have a brilliant time! 

NF challenges: March 2018 , 12 , 11 , 10, 9876, 54321

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines