Smoke 18ck a Kipper, He'll Be Back For Breakfast

18ck

Aaah the ancient sport of Welly Wanging, many a maiden hath swooned at a man's ability to wang a welly. How I remember those heady days of youth.....

It's true. Such a shame it's not in the Commonwealth Games this year. 

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Dorset you say?  lovely, exotic Dorset...

When in Dorset, do as the Dorsetians do.

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

"Back at home, we had an impromptu family film night with Back to the Future 2 - much of which is set in 2015. Wow, things are really going to change in the next year!"

It has to. I want that self-drying jacket!!!

Mm, and who knew fax machines would make such a big comeback?

The following day someone lent us a copy of the Life of Pi for one day only so we had a second family film night. What a beautiful film that is!

• Like 2

Feeling the need to sum up the first 10 days to draw a line under them since I've lost focus a bit, what with the holiday and the work and the battle against the army of ravening lawyers:

Spartan training
- Run twice a week at least (one long, one short) and preferably more (+1 Sta)
- Do the Batman/Krazy workout and fun gymnastics with my partner in Spartantude at least once a week (+2 Dex)
- Find somewhere I can practice climbing a rope and figure out how to get to the top of it at least once during the challenge* (+1 Dex)
- Refresh my working knowledge of a PK Roll and get to where I can do it from a standing start

I need a short run tomorrow and a longer one at the weekend to be on track.
Flyer is going to do a workout with me tomorrow but she has moved onto the Minecrafter workout.
I still haven't managed to climb a rope but i did try shinning up a pole at the festival, much to my family's embarrassment.
No PK roll attempts, not even in the field.

Sculling prep
- Scull at least twice a week, with at least one of those being a single, and at least 5 mins of technical drills (+2 Dex - goal suspended while I'm away at the festival)
- Lift heavy things at least twice a week and preferably three. (+2 Str - goal suspended while I'm away at the festival)
- Finish reading "Starting Strength" and revisit my Sculling Training manual.
- Find out the procedure for signing up and take action on the steps (date in diary, renew ARA membership etc)

Unlikely to hit the sculling goal this week unless I do a double on Sunday
Lifting is going OK. I squatted um.... *does maths* 144lb today, I think. That's quite a lot more than I could before and my form was good,. In fact I even managed to spot some mistakes other people were making around me while I was down there (although I am not confident enough to go over and tell them so). Also did some rows, deadlifts (still feel like my putting-it-down technique is rubbish), curls and OHP.
I'm about 2/5 of the way through starting strength. I think I have read all the bits I'm likely to actually put into practice but I'll look at the power clean, bench press and all the other bits too just out of interest. 
No progress on the SHORR yet.

Life goals
- Steer a course through what is likely to be the most financially difficult period of our life together. That will mean careful planning, following the Hounslow Diet (basically, cheap food and not much of it), reviewing insurance and other outgoings, foregoing luxuries, maybe ebaying stuff, mugging old ladies, hanging around the docks selling my body to sailors... That sort of thing, you know. (+2 Wis)

Lawyergeddon is over but now comes a series of lean months...

- Lose 6lb despite eating mostly toastGet back into my grey cargo shorts. They're horrible but they're the only trousery things I haven't yet shrunk into, I think, so they're a better gauge of progress than the scales. Then they can go to the Oxfam shop. This will require attention to detail, and also no booze (+2 Con - booze rule suspended while I'm away at the festival).

I'm glad i changed this from a weight goal because I've no idea what i weight. OK, shorts, I'm coming to get you.
Booze rule now un-suspended.

- Study Portuguese every day, with at least 4 of those being very solid sessions. The remainder can be podcast episodes or something relatively non-taxing like that. (+2 Cha - goal suspended while I'm away at the festival)

Miserable failure.

- Go to the optician

Need to make appointment by the end of this week.

- Give blood, preferably not to a vampire kitten

Appointment made.

- Cut down on weird mentalism such as randomly swearing, making faces and even on one memorable occasion slapping myself, especially in public, like a crazy person. I worked on this in one of my early challenges but I've noticed myself doing it more again lately (+1 Wis)

This is still happening but it's on the decrease since the weekend. I still catch myself doing it but I think just being more conscious of it helps.

I'm not too far off with this. OK, back on the horse from tomorrow. Laying my things out for a run...

• Like 2

Sore and sweaty now. Some of the sore is not good sore. I really need to get that deadlift thing sorted out.

I squatted um.... *does maths* 144lb today

That's 65kg or one Komodo Dragon

• Like 4

Hey 18ck.

Your squat sounds great! If you feel the need to tell others about their form, be sure to ask if they want any feedback. It's kinda a weightlifting etiquette thing. So many people are taught differently. it's hard to say how they'll react to a different point of view. But if they look like they're doing really scary moves, I would risk the dirty look! Safety first!

You deadlift sounds frustrating. Are you thinking too much about the 'down' movement? I try to not let the bar touch the floor during my 5 reps. I have to stay really focused on my back and butt. Try starting at the top and just practice going down. Maybe you're getting a misfire in your movement because of the lift part? If you can tape it again, perhaps we can find a solution. And be careful with that, not good, soreness!

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Hey 18ck.

Your squat sounds great! If you feel the need to tell others about their form, be sure to ask if they want any feedback. It's kinda a weightlifting etiquette thing. So many people are taught differently. it's hard to say how they'll react to a different point of view. But if they look like they're doing really scary moves, I would risk the dirty look! Safety first!

You deadlift sounds frustrating. Are you thinking too much about the 'down' movement? I try to not let the bar touch the floor during my 5 reps. I have to stay really focused on my back and butt. Try starting at the top and just practice going down. Maybe you're getting a misfire in your movement because of the lift part? If you can tape it again, perhaps we can find a solution. And be careful with that, not good, soreness!

Hey Teri

I think it would have been cool. One of them had given me some unsolicited advice about what to do with my head during rows on the stupid useless rowing bench, so I think precedent had been established. I'll try and get another form vid when I can.

• Like 1

Work is taking over everything and I didn't do the after-work things I wanted to do. I'll have to do something - maybe a "day" of the pushup challenge - before bed. When I got in, my crazy daughter was finally in an update mood but since she was eating at the time (sssllloooowwwwllllyyyyy) I took dictation for her which was quite fun. It's here if you're interested.
http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/51183-flyer19-cuz-its-slender/?p=1159320

• Like 1

Let he who hath understanding reckon the number of the bbeeaasstt

aja6ana7.jpg

• Like 1

Hey 18ck.

So big edit came in today. I should not keep the bar in the air in my deadlift. I should place it back on the floor. When I did it, I realized I can reset my butt and knees better and really rely on my hamstrings to get the beginning of the movement done, instead of using all back.

Look forward to your form vid, when you get to it.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

So big edit came in today. I should not keep the bar in the air in my deadlift.

Yeah, I thought it sounded a bit surprising. Maybe I should just bang it down quickly instead of slowly. Biosciencelife has good advice on deadlift bar-banging in his latest video.

Yikes!! Post more, quickly!!

nataS mrof egassem a s'ereht sdrawkcab tsop siht daer uoy fI

• Like 2

My autocorrect is so corrupted at this point...

• Like 1

I'll just leave this here:

https://www.justgiving.com/SpartanMonkey

It's @Flyer19's Justgiving page for the Spartan Race.

• Like 2

*chuckle* Actually Flyer has been busy today. Look, here's her first published novel!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00MK3D700/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1407594696&sr=8-1Ï€=AC_SX110_SY165

😌

• Like 5

I'll probably stop boasting about my daughter and post an actual update soon.

Probably....

• Like 1

Playing catch up (as usual!)

You just discovered the joy of deadlifts! So easily auto corrected to deadliest.  Hows that form going? Hope it is feeling more natural now.

Did I see some mention of Red Dwarf? So good Im pleased that it got resurrected.

Awww so much Flyer Awesomeness right now.

Traveling Scoutly inclined Druid

:pirate:   :kiwi-fruit:  :tyrannosaurus:  :kiwi-fruit:  :pirate:

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.â€â€• Oscar Wilde

Well, seems like you have a good one there! :)

*proudface*
  • Like 2

Playing catch up (as usual!)

You just discovered the joy of deadlifts! So easily auto corrected to deadliest. Hows that form going? Hope it is feeling more natural now.

Did I see some mention of Red Dwarf? So good Im pleased that it got resurrected.

Awww so much Flyer Awesomeness right now.

Hi Kiwi

Sadly, no, I'm not getting it at all. If I get time to go down there tomorrow with Flyer I might get her to film me again. I did a form video a couple of weeks ago but I think the consensus was that I wasn't lifting enough to be able to diagnose my form problems.

Having struggled not to hurl myself off the balcony at work all week, I have had a pretty good day today in spite of having some homework to do over the weekend. I went out really early and sculled a long way with this American bloke I think I mentioned who lives near me. It was a lovely bright morning and nice to be able to dispense wisdom to a less able sculler since until recently I was usually the one who needed to be told what to do - I felt like I was giving something back by helping someone else develop. Afterwards I stayed in and did some weight practice - not really a full workout but just embedding the sense of the deadlift and waking my arm muscles up a bit. Then it was home for a shower, lunch, knock off a few chores, help Flyer19 get her novel onto Amazon, and then I was back out to the park by bike to do a lap around the course for seven miles or so. My legs were knackered so it was real listless plodding but any run is better than no run so I kept ploughing on. Apparently the weather tomorrow is going to be foul so might as well make the most of it.

• Like 2

way to push things forward! Sometimes that's the hardest part.

Congrats to Flyer... will the cabin on the cover come into play? Cause if so, I'm buying a copy. I just have to get kindle for PC first!

Sorry work has been so damn unreliable, except maybe in being unpredictable and a constant pain in the booty.

Week 3 is looming! Kick yourself into gear however you can! Weather or no!

Cheers

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines