Smoke 18ck a Kipper, He'll Be Back For Breakfast

18ck

Another long day at work but I dragged my arse to the rowing club in the way home. It was about half eight already so instead of going out in a boat I just did a few minutes ergo to warm up, followed by some almost-pull-ups, squats, curls and OHP. I'm noticing my strength increase a bit at a time and I'm enjoying it, but I left out deadlifts today because I felt like I needed a break to regroup after the last attempt.

Other musings:

On the lifts I can do well, I should learn to stop while my form is still good and not push out one last rep with shit posture.

I should make the effort to get there earlier because rushing through the warmup and so in isn't really helping.

Also completed one of my smaller goals - do the groundwork for entering the Scullers Head - and did some Portuguese study with am audio turltorial.

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

• Like 1

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

I think I knew about it being... about ABBA, but I never saw it so the information had no reason to take root in the limited space of my brain!

Smart decision on getting form down pat first, most especially the big compound moves. You may not feel something go awry until you feel the results of it being out of sorts. That can take awhile to sort out and get back to it. Plus the warming up focus, very cool. Your vids look pretty good too. Nice job, man. Really.

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

On the lifts I can do well, I should learn to stop while my form is still good and not push out one last rep with shit posture.

Especially important on the deadlift, it's so easy to screw up your back badly if you don't keep it straight

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

Cool, nice workout. You just reminded me I need to do one of those things. Crap.

Come on then!

• Like 1

I think I knew about it being... about ABBA, but I never saw it so the information had no reason to take root in the limited space of my brain!

Smart decision on getting form down pat first, most especially the big compound moves. You may not feel something go awry until you feel the results of it being out of sorts. That can take awhile to sort out and get back to it. Plus the warming up focus, very cool. Your vids look pretty good too. Nice job, man. Really.

Especially important on the deadlift, it's so easy to screw up your back badly if you don't keep it straight

Thanks both.

My back is a bit tweaky today but only in a rubbish-posture-while-sitting-at-my-desk way, not a broken-it-playing-with-big-boy-toys way. Anyway, I didn't do any lifts as a result, and (owing to the electrical storm) also didn't go out on the water in a boat with sticky-out metal bits on it. 

On the plus side, I have been keeping up with the portuguese and I've done some of my little bits of side-goal like getting info about the Scullers head, renewing my British Rowing membership and so on.

Tonight I'm experimenting with one of those sleep app things. Sleeping with a switched-on phone next to my pillow sounds liek a mistake and if I am still posting here at 3 AM you'll know it's all gone Pete Tong. It's something I've wanted to experiment with for a while but never felt like trusting my workday to it. I am trying to parlay this up to a Syrenesque stepping-out-of-the-comfort-zone for teh side-challenge but it's a bit feeble so I might have to think of something better.

• Like 2

*goes to bed*

I'm curious to know how it goes with the sleep app. I've been interested for a while, and the recent article piqued that curiosity again.

Well now, that was interesting. I really did find myself walking up to birdsong and thinking "Oh, I'm awake" instead of being wrenched out of sleep by my normal alarm. And it wasn't just that birdsong was gentler - it really did feel like I had been about to wake up anyway, even though it was 5.25AM. I wouldn't exactly say I was as fresh as a daisy but I am surprisingly untraumastised as I drain the last of my coffee and get ready to go to head for the train station.

I'm going to have to try this a few more times and see what difference it makes to my overall energy levels.

Off to see another play tonight. It's children's theatre week or something so there are lots of free tickets to West end shows for little monkeys. Tonight is "I Believe in Unicorns".

• Like 3

Im a fan of those sleep apps - but they chew up lots of iphone juice.

For some reason I felt inspired to watch the mama mia movie this week.

Damn electrical storms seem to be hitting you too at the moment - quite inconvenient.

Traveling Scoutly inclined Druid

:pirate:   :kiwi-fruit:  :tyrannosaurus:  :kiwi-fruit:  :pirate:

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.â€â€• Oscar Wilde

Im a fan of those sleep apps - but they chew up lots of iphone juice.

For some reason I felt inspired to watch the mama mia movie this week.

Damn electrical storms seem to be hitting you too at the moment - quite inconvenient.

Mm, I put mine in to charge on aeroplane mode overnight so that's not a problem. It didn't work so well last night - possibly because it ended up under a pillow - and now it's trying to tell me I have to go to bed. What, is it my mother? There's probably a setting to stop it doing that though. I'm imagining a box somewhere saying

"Be your mother"

UN-TICK.

The experiment continues.

• Like 1

I love your humor!! 'Sticky-out metal bits?' HA!!

[i give credit to Kailer for the startled bunny exclamation point phenomenon]

That is the correct technical term for them.
  • Like 2

Uff. I'm really phoning it in as mod at the moment. What the hell is going on? For the first time since I started doing this I really haven't been able to keep up with what everyone's doing.

I have to think of a week-long challenge for next week on a time travel theme. I was talking it over with Flyer and she thinks I should have us travel back to the pokemontaceous period which, as you all know, was immediately after the triassic. I think I'll try and keep it a little more historical than that though.

Anyway, sorry if anyone's expecting me to be a proper guild leader.

That was a bit whiny. Not really fishing for sympathy or anything. No, really.

So today I had to work a lot but I managed to get out for a few hours with Flyer19. We cycled up to the park and she had a pony riding lesson. I intended to run but my back is still funny. Weirdly, though, even though I couldn't run I was able to do bridges, handstands and PK rolls.

Hm.

So we did some of those. My handstands were OK, although I found it hard to kick up properly, and Flyer has really come in a lot since the last time I saw her try. It was fun.

Family film night:Wayne's World

Oh hang on, my sleep app is tucking me in.

• Like 2

That is odd that your back could handle bridges, but not running. Muscles are weird.

I am looking forward to your side challenge. I tried to leave it open for traveling to many time periods via another storm, so don't feel obligated to leave us stuck in the Jurassic if it doesn't suit. The pokemontaceous may be a stretch, though.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Leader, smeader, you can't be our leader 24/7 and expect to get yourself in order for the changes you're going through. No worries, just don't dally too long ay?  :playful:

If I had a dollar for every muscle I could name in my back, well... I'd be as broke now as yesterday. But, the possibilities would be darn near endless, kinda!

'Wayne's World, Wayne's World! It's excellent"

"We're not worthy!"

"Party On, Garth!"

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

That is odd that your back could handle bridges, but not running. Muscles are weird.

Mm, it's not really a muscle thing, I think. It's a short of pinching feeling at the bottom of the back near the hip and it hurts when I put pressure in that leg. It has died down a bit today so I hope I'm over the worst.

I am looking forward to your side challenge. I tried to leave it open for traveling to many time periods via another storm, so don't feel obligated to leave us stuck in the Jurassic if it doesn't suit. The pokemontaceous may be a stretch, though.

No, I think we'll go forward a bit. I'm looking at the sky and it definitely looks like one of those weekly time storms is due.

Leader, smeader, you can't be our leader 24/7 and expect to get yourself in order for the changes you're going through. No worries, just don't dally too long ay? :playful:

If I had a dollar for every muscle I could name in my back, well... I'd be as broke now as yesterday. But, the possibilities would be darn near endless, kinda!

'Wayne's World, Wayne's World! It's excellent"

"We're not worthy!"

"Party On, Garth!"

There a lot of rudity I'm Wayne's world but luckily most of it goes over the head of a nine year old. My favourite line is "if he were an ice cream flavour he'd be pralines and dick".

• Like 1

I was up with the lark and rowed solo down the river. My back is still mildly tweaks but a lot better than yesterday. I did some OHP after, and rows too but stopped doing of squats or deadlifts. Why tempt fate?

In the afternoon we had a big family outing to the park. There was some rain, and at a couple of points it was so heavy we had to take shelter under a tree. Mrs 18ck did a seven miler while Flyer and I went and had adventures. We cycled round the park, stopping at a bramble patch to pick blackberries, a playground to practice our climbing and cargo net skills for the Spartan race, and a muddy Hill with lots of tree roots to have fun climbing up it barefoot. Finally we ended up at the riding school where Flyer went for a lesson. After that we did some more handstands and PK rolls and cycled home via the scenic route.

I'm exhausted now. I fell asleep on the grass at one point. Must get an early night tonight.

• Like 1

I think I watched Wayne's world as a 9 year old. I survived it ;) was much funnier when I watched it as a teenager tho.

I think she enjoyed it. I didn't even try and explain what the police officer was doing with the torch and the rubber glove though...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines