Smoke 18ck a Kipper, He'll Be Back For Breakfast

18ck

With the Spartan race apart form rope climbing are there any other obvious obstacles that will require training beforehand?

Well, the PK rolls are to try and dodge the dudes with pugil sticks. I'm teaching Flyer to be more resilient in the face of mud and stuff... Apart from that and the rope climbing I think it's all general strength and endurance though. If anyone's done one and knows more, I'd be grateful for the tips...

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Ha ha as if I am going to be good enough at PK rolls that I'll be able to evade three beefy blokes with sticks!

• Like 1

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

No phone tomorrow. Can I put you all in charge of reminding my daughter to update about her amazing exploits over the last week? She has done lots of leaping about, but will no doubt want to be cryptic and talk about Pikachu instead because she has suddenly decided she is Pokemon Years Old. I see @Kailer has already asked. Thanks Kailer!

• Like 3

Work continues to smash my life to pieces, and I don't even have a phone to nag myself with (or the kindle app to read the book I'm meant to read for one of my goals) so it's a bit slow on the goal-meeting front. Today, though, I managed to tear my fingers off the keyboard not long after six and I made it to the rowing club at a reasonable time. It was slightly too late for rowing, sadly, but I did a 3k ergo and then went to the weight room to do some squats, deadlifts, rows, curls and OHP. I felt pretty good about it all, pushed the weight up a bit on some of them, at least, and didn't feel like I was going to get broken (but let's see what I'm like tomorrow).

Flyer got a new running outfit yet so she was keen to go out running with Mrs 18ck. That's one way of motivating yourself, I suppose. Now, all I need is a snazzy crop top and some funky leggings.

Portuguese done, and I'm on course to sleep again in three... two... one....

• Like 4

I'm glad you're getting something out of the lifting. And your sleep seems to be working????

Sorry work gets in the way. Mine too right now, until Sunday anyway. But after that, I'm back in the gym and running on the trails!

I think leggings might just work on you!

Cheers

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

I'm glad you're getting something out of the lifting. And your sleep seems to be working????

Sorry work gets in the way. Mine too right now, until Sunday anyway. But after that, I'm back in the gym and running on the trails!

I think leggings might just work on you!

Cheers

Possibly. Urgh... Floundering just now. If I had a phone I'd be posting minute by minute updates of my failure.

Ah well, it's the weekend and I think I can manage some successes in the next couple of days... 

Yes, it will get better. Because it's you.

You are what makes your life better. Well, and Flyer, and Mrs. 18ck. Huddle close to the love that nourishes you most. Then go out and battle another day.

• Like 2

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Um... working like an idiot both Saturday and Sunday but I managed a couple of short runs, some weights, handstands (freaking awesome inversion!), some Portuguese podcasts and football with flyer. It wasn't terrible.

On the not-doing-mental-stuff front, I was doing Ok but today there's been a lot of random swearing. Oh and I hit myself in the face with my book on the train on Friday too for no good reason. That's not sane, is it?

• Like 1

I sprayed water in my face today: 3 times! My stress is so high, I do these kinda things. It feels bizarre but I think it's our body trying to release the pent up energy the the stress is holding onto it case it has to fight or flight.

I hope this week goes better. Thinking of you.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Working on the weekend, noooo! That sucks. Can you find ways to take it a bit easy this week?

Really great job getting your workouts in despite being so busy. It's good for your body and a healthy way to deal with stress.

Ps, you're my hero, and I hate that you're having a hard time! Really hope it gets better for you soon.

• Like 1

Class and Profession: Level 23 Borg Queen 

Um... working like an idiot both Saturday and Sunday but I managed a couple of short runs, some weights, handstands (freaking awesome inversion!), some Portuguese podcasts and football with flyer. It wasn't terrible.

On the not-doing-mental-stuff front, I was doing Ok but today there's been a lot of random swearing. Oh and I hit myself in the face with my book on the train on Friday too for no good reason. That's not sane, is it?

1.) working all weekend is bad, just bad, stop that

2.) looks like you got some great activity despite all the silliness

3.) don't hit yourself...too much

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

Hi 18ck

Your threads are always so fast moving I can never keep up, but I wanted to say 'hi' and probably mumble some traditional English small talk thing about being disappointed in the change of the weather lately. :)

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

I sprayed water in my face today: 3 times! My stress is so high, I do these kinda things. It feels bizarre but I think it's our body trying to release the pent up energy the the stress is holding onto it case it has to fight or flight.

I hope this week goes better. Thinking of you.

It's been a bit mixed but I'm basically gearing up into the right frame of mind for it ... and the weather is rubbish so I'm not thinking how much I'd like to go out and run around in the sun, which is perversely helpful. I've managed to fit some exercise in between the wooooooork so on the whole, yes, better thanks.

Working on the weekend, noooo! That sucks. Can you find ways to take it a bit easy this week?

Really great job getting your workouts in despite being so busy. It's good for your body and a healthy way to deal with stress.

Ps, you're my hero, and I hate that you're having a hard time! Really hope it gets better for you soon.

Thanks for the kind words and for not being put off by mopey me. 

1.) working all weekend is bad, just bad, stop that

2.) looks like you got some great activity despite all the silliness

3.) don't hit yourself...too much

I'll try not to leave any visible bruises.

Hi 18ck

Your threads are always so fast moving I can never keep up, but I wanted to say 'hi' and probably mumble some traditional English small talk thing about being disappointed in the change of the weather lately. :)

*mumbles back*

Thanks (to both of you) for stopping by. Yeah, and the days are getting shorter too... dear of dear...

I'm glad you still found time for football with Flyer :) I'm sure she appreciated it!!

I quite enjoy that she's so rough when she plays football. Normally she's very polite and decorous and it's good that she's getting used to asserting herself in her efforts to get the ball off me. Let's see if it translates to a more focused, determined Flyer at the race on Saturday!

Random Thursday update on progress so far as part of refocusing

Spartan training
- Run twice a week at least (one long, one short) and preferably more (+1 Sta)
- Do the Batman/Krazy workout and fun gymnastics with my partner in Spartantude at least once a week (+2 Dex)
- Find somewhere I can practice climbing a rope and figure out how to get to the top of it at least once during the challenge* (+1 Dex)
- Refresh my working knowledge of a PK Roll and get to where I can do it from a standing start

Race day in 2 days.

I haven't run much in the last couple of weeks. I've done some of the workouts with Flyer but not enough. I've climbed a pole which is a bit like a rope and I've done OK at PK rolls but I'm not really up to doing them from a standing start yet. Sitting at a desk all day has made my back a bit tweaky so I will need to keep on my feet as much as possible tomorrow to loosen it up so I don't get slowed down further. I'm far from peak fitness but it's a Spartan race, not a race race, so I'm looking to have fun, not break records.

Sculling prep
- Scull at least twice a week, with at least one of those being a single, and at least 5 mins of technical drills (+2 Dex - goal suspended while I'm away at the festival)
- Lift heavy things at least twice a week and preferably three. (+2 Str - goal suspended while I'm away at the festival)
- Finish reading "Starting Strength" and revisit my Sculling Training manual.
- Find out the procedure for signing up and take action on the steps (date in diary, renew ARA membership etc)

Missed a single last week but I have been rowing quite a bit both in boats and on an ergo. I've put feelers out for a partner in the doubles head  as part fo training, renewed my membership and lifted all the heavy things. My phone has died taking the Kindle app with it so no Starting Strength for me. The Sculling Training manual is down off its shelf ready to go in my work bag.

Life goals
- Steer a course through what is likely to be the most financially difficult period of our life together. That will mean careful planning, following the Hounslow Diet (basically, cheap food and not much of it), reviewing insurance and other outgoings, foregoing luxuries, maybe ebaying stuff, mugging old ladies, hanging around the docks selling my body to sailors... That sort of thing, you know. (+2 Wis)
Lose 6lb despite eating mostly toast Get back into my grey cargo shorts. They're horrible but they're the only trousery things I haven't yet shrunk into, I think, so they're a better gauge of progress than the scales. Then they can go to the Oxfam shop. This will require attention to detail, and also no booze (+2 Con - booze rule suspended while I'm away at the festival).
- Study Portuguese every day, with at least 4 of those being very solid sessions. The remainder can be podcast episodes or something relatively non-taxing like that. (+2 Cha - goal suspended while I'm away at the festival)
- Go to the optician
- Give blood, preferably not to a vampire kitten
- Cut down on weird mentalism such as randomly swearing, making faces and even on one memorable occasion slapping myself, especially in public, like a crazy person. I worked on this in one of my early challenges but I've noticed myself doing it more again lately (+1 Wis)

We're staying afloat financially and I think the worst is over now (although we're not exactly rolling in it!)

Gaining weight, not losing. I haven't weighed myself but i can feel the extra tightness in my wasitband

Portuguese is going reasonably well, all things considered. I'm probably only at about 50% capacity though.

Opticians - check

Blood - no. I had an appointment yesterday buT I went straight home, opened the laptop and worked until midnight instead.

Mentalism - This one isn't going brilliantly as you've probably gathered. I think I've receded from the peak of a few weeks ago but more because I'm too preoccupied to think mad thoughts rather than because I am taking control of my own head. 

Or something.

Pff! What a load of rubbish that is.

Anyway, the gist is, I've been to the club twice this week, once for weights and once for a 5k ergo (in about 20.28 which is OK). I'm keeping my head above water (no sculling-related pun intended) and doing OK in an unspectacular sort of way, but don't have much free time to post here even if my phone was working, so I'm not really keeping up with what you're all up to but I'm really glad there are a few of you still looking in here from time to time!

• Like 1

Of course we're checkin in on ya. Man, do me one favor. Give yourself a real, honest hug of self-compassion. I don't know the details, but you seem down and maybe even taking it out on yourself. So, if you are... STOP IT. If you aren't, I'm glad I'm wrong. Stay in the moment and focus on some good things, even if they seem outnumbered and outgunned. Because, they aren't actually.

Hug yourself, your wife, your daughter, your cat, your bike, everything. I'm thinking of ya!

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Good luck with the spartan this weekend! (I'll be out for my own race so I may forget to check in here and say it)

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Of course we're checkin in on ya. Man, do me one favor. Give yourself a real, honest hug of self-compassion. I don't know the details, but you seem down and maybe even taking it out on yourself. So, if you are... STOP IT. If you aren't, I'm glad I'm wrong. Stay in the moment and focus on some good things, even if they seem outnumbered and outgunned. Because, they aren't actually.

Hug yourself, your wife, your daughter, your cat, your bike, everything. I'm thinking of ya!

Thanks - sorry, not meant to be a pity party. I work on projects and they tend to go through these big cycles where the last few weeks are frickin' insane. I feel like I've got to a bit of a breathing space though so I'm having an easy night tonight and tomorrow off before getting back down to it on Sunday. Anyway, it's annoying and I'm struggling to keep things together but it's not all de profundis and it won't last forever - just got to keep swimming, keep swimming (we had a family film night tonight... can you guess what the film was....?)

Good luck with the spartan this weekend! (I'll be out for my own race so I may forget to check in here and say it)

Thanks! And good luck with yours! Disneyland, eh? That's almost as glam as Tunbridge Wells!

I bet you're headed to bed in anticipation of your race - so exciting!! Good luck tomorrow!!

Thanks! Yes, the little 'un has been checking herself out in the full length mirror wearing her race t-shirt to make sure she is suitably fabulous. mE, i MANAGED MY FIRST BEFORE-WORK RUN IN WEEKS ahem - caps lock off.... so I am quite pleased about that. It was pretty short but it's a psychological thing nmore than anything. I'm off to bed in a few minutes to be fresh for the morning.

Race day!! Woot!

*Echoes the w00tage*

Good luck on race. !!!!!!

Ha! Remember that day we both did a shit-ton of burpees to defeat the druids? Well, I did more than that today. Stupid forfeits!

It was really excellent. One of those days when almost nothing goes according to plan but it doesn't really matter. 

• Like 4

It was really excellent. One of those days when almost nothing goes according to plan but it doesn't really matter.

Specifically....

Things that didn't go according to plan:

• Flyer19 was carsick
  • The Satnav took us via the scenic route via every traffic jam in South-East England, so we we didn't arrive till after my heat started
  • I started at 12 instead of 11.30
  • 5km my arse - closer to 10, I'd say, and it took me an hour and a half
  • As a result of 3 and 4, I didn't get to see Flyer in her race and she didn't get to see me jumping over fire
  • 1.25km my other arse - her race was 1.5 miles! Well, the organisers are american so I expect they got confused.
Things that mattered:

Nothing really. It's a shame Flyer was car-sick of course but she didn't let it slow her down, and I'm definitely disappointed I didn't get to see her in action but we're not letting it spoil our enjoyment of a thoroughly epic day.

Before the race - Scout and Assassin ready for action

gallery_6311_1373_77367.jpg

After - Scout embarrassing Assassin by shamelessly shouting "This is Sparta!!!" in public

med_gallery_6311_1373_624913.jpg

Anyway, that was a ton of fun and blew away a lot of the late-stage-project blues!

• Like 6

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines