* * * I am withdrawing from this challenge. Things at work are getting really crazy and unpredictable, and it's taking away my ability to stick with all of my goals. I'll still be eating healthy but it won't necessarily be in a paleo way, and I'll be working out, but probably not as regularly as I'd like. I'll be back for the next one!! * * *

Aaand…..I’m back from the Caribbean and ready to go!! My challenge will start tomorrow on August 6th and since I’ve been away, I’ll be continuing my challenge through to September 14th, for a 40-day challenge. For this challenge, I am combining my goal of going primal with my goal of becoming a yogini! I’ll have to stay really dedicated because the Fall semester is starting two weeks in to my challenge. I allowed school to dominate my challenge and life during the Summer semester, and let my eating and working out suffer, badly. I can’t let that happen again. I am going to be in school for many years to come and I can’t let my health and wellbeing fall to the wayside because of that. Fortunately, the Political Science class got me back on track in terms of developing regular study habits and I will be keeping that up. It’s going to be a difficult challenge, but that’s why they don’t call it “an easy.†I am really looking forward to how this challenge will turn out.

Oh, and the boyfriend is starting to workout again and though he isn’t joining Nerd Fitness, he and I have side bet/competition going on for workout days. :) And he is totally down with trying out Paleo. I told him that I was going to try out Paleo for this challenge and wanted to only cook Paleo dinners, and he’s totally onboard!

MAIN QUEST (BY JULY 5, 2015)

Get down to 20% body fat

CHALLENGE QUEST

Reduce body fat by 1% (by September 5th, picture/measuring day)

Do 20 full pushups without stopping

Do sun salutations from memory

CHALLENGE GOALS

Paleo Kitchen: Follow Paleo guidelines for at least 80% of the challenge

Get Moving: Get 10,000 steps a day

Lift Stuff: Do three bodyweight and/or kettlebell workouts a week

Dancing Yogini: Do three belly dancing and yoga workouts a week

CHALLENGE GOAL DETAILS

Paleo Kitchen

Follow Paleo guidelines for at least 80% of the challenge

I’m mixing guidelines/information from a few different paleo/primal sources. I’m not going super strict for this challenge, but this will be a big change regardless. I’ve created the No/Sometimes/Yes lists below based on the various books and websites I’ve been reading. I really like vengefulpear’s suggestion of using “tokens†for my non-paleo meals. Since I am planning to eat three meals a day, I will get four tokens a week. Meals containing foods from the “Sometimes List†will not count as a non-paleo meal as long as there are not the main item in the meal (Example: chicken thighs, green beans and sweet potatoes).

No List                                                  Sometimes List                    Yes List

Processed Foods                                 Fruit                                      Animal Protein

Sugar & Artificial Sweeteners              Nuts & Seeds                        Vegetables

Grains & Legumes                               Starches                               Healthy Cooking Fats

Processed Vegetable & Seed Oils       Dairy                                     Fermented Foods

Alcohol                                                 Natural Sweeteners             Herbs & Spices

Get Moving

Get 10,000 steps a day

I need to stop living such a sedentary life. Aside from my workouts, I need to stay more active each day. I need to get a minimum of 10,000 steps a day (tracking with my Fitbit). Things I will be doing to try to reach my goal each day:

- Ride bike to and from work

- Take a walking break at work

- Take regular stretch breaks at work

- Get outside on the weekends

Lift Stuff

Do three bodyweight and/or kettlebell workouts a week

I need to start regularly strength training again. A short improvised workout is every once in a while is not going to cut it this time! I’ll be doing bodyweight and/or kettlebell workouts on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. I would eventually like to start doing Crossfit but I’m not quite ready for that yet. I’m planning on it for the next challenge. :)

Dancing Yogini

Do three belly dancing and yoga workouts a week

Versus having rest days in between the strength training, I will be doing belly dancing drills and yoga workouts on Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays. I really miss belly dancing and yoga and am very much looking forward to getting back to it. I feel so much more in touch with my body when I’m doing yoga and dancing.

MEASUREMENTS

Taken on August 5th

Weight: 183.3#

Body Fat: 40.3% (using Fitbit Aria scale)

Neck: 13â€

Biceps: 13.25â€

Forearms: 10.75â€

Wrists: 6.25â€

Bust: 38.25â€

Chest: 32.75â€

Waist: 31.75â€

Tummy: 39.75â€

Hips: 42â€

Bum: 46.75â€

Upper Thighs: 29â€

Above Knees: 17.75â€

Calves: 16â€

Ankles: 9â€

• Like 4

The Introverted Goddess

Level 5 || STR 9 || DEX 6 || STA 6 || CON 12 || WIS 13 || CHA 7

Current Challenge: The Introverted Goddess is......

Past Challenges as Sin's Goddess: #1  #2  #3W  #3A  #4  #5  #6  #7  #8

Hi, looks nice! How do you want to do the kettlebell WO when you're in the caribbean? Is there a gym in your hotel?

Or will you do the Hotel Room Body weight workout instead?

Katastrophenkatzchen - Progress, not Perfection!

Race: Troll | Class : one ambitious  Druid-kitty

Level: 2 | STR 1 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenges: 0,5, 1, 2 , Babysteps

Spoiler

(137/180 days) 26/9/14

76.1%
76.1%

No alcohol (12/42) 26/9/14

28%
28%

Start: 194 lbs, Final Goal: 154 lbs, Next Goal: 190 lbs / Current: 194.9 lbs (15. Sept. 2014)

-1%
-1%

Well your challenge looks awesome AND i'm looking forward to awesome lovely pictures :D

For your 80% paleo thing, I remember last challenge TiberiusNightrise had a cool idea (well I thought it was cool :P ) to have 'non-paleo tokens' for that 20% that didn't have to be palo.

So of a week if you have 3 meals a day having 4 tokens you can use for non-paleo meals

Anyway, have an awesome challenge :) Subd'!

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4

Yay challenge! Looks like a good one! I'm a bit confused by the sprint frequently goal though. You said you're planning on doing C25K, but that's not at all a sprint program. In fact it's the opposite. Both are good goals though. :)

Thanks Hatter. I have some funky knee issues going on, so I can't full out sprint right now. So I'll be using the jogging intervals as combination sprint/jog intervals in order to get the sprints in. I know it's not full out sprinting, but I'm hoping that in a challenge or two my knee issues will be gone and I'll actually be able to sprint. But C25K is my baby step. :)

Hi, looks nice! How do you want to do the kettlebell WO when you're in the caribbean? Is there a gym in your hotel?

Or will you do the Hotel Room Body weight workout instead?

Hey Kat, thanks! I won't be officially starting my challenge until I get back (August 6th). But I'm going to try to start changing my habits a bit while I'm there. I'll have my Fitbit with me so I'll be tracking my steps most of the time. And I'll be making (mostly :)) good food choices. Plus I'll be going swimming a lot, and I'm bringing some workout clothes with me.

Well your challenge looks awesome AND i'm looking forward to awesome lovely pictures :D

For your 80% paleo thing, I remember last challenge TiberiusNightrise had a cool idea (well I thought it was cool :tongue: ) to have 'non-paleo tokens' for that 20% that didn't have to be palo.

So of a week if you have 3 meals a day having 4 tokens you can use for non-paleo meals

Anyway, have an awesome challenge :) Subd'!

Thanks Pear! There will definitely be a lot of lovely pictures!

Hmm..I like the token idea. It would help me to be more accountable for my non-paleo food choices. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1

The Introverted Goddess

You could make a workout plan for the holidays.

Like :-swim at least every other day for 10 min

-do 5000 steps a day

-eat veggies at every meal

or something like that :)

Or just do as you see fit. I mean... it's holiday!

• Like 1

Katastrophenkatzchen - Progress, not Perfection!

Race: Troll | Class : one ambitious  Druid-kitty

Level: 2 | STR 1 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenges: 0,5, 1, 2 , Babysteps

Spoiler

(137/180 days) 26/9/14

76.1%
76.1%

No alcohol (12/42) 26/9/14

28%
28%

Start: 194 lbs, Final Goal: 154 lbs, Next Goal: 190 lbs / Current: 194.9 lbs (15. Sept. 2014)

-1%
-1%

I've used them a little bit before, but not really with a structured workout. Any tips for a newb?

I certainly think so! Oh, there will definitely be jealously inducing pictures!! :)

The Introverted Goddess

Yay! I loved the Caribbean! A friend and I went on a cruise a couple years ago! Beautiful!! Where are you gonna be?I also look forward to pictures!!

Love the plan! Looks challenging and exciting!! I loved the couch to 5k plan! Went through it a few years ago and I have been able to run 5k since then! Good luck and have a blast on your trip!!

Hey Nightcrawler..The boyfriend and I are headed to Grenada, the main island and Carriacou. I am so stoked!

Thanks! This will definitely be a challenging challenge for me. Besides my challenge goals, the Fall semester start up partway through the challenge. But I am determined to do well in school *while* taking care of my body!

The Introverted Goddess

Finally made it to Grenada!! Not a view from my room (that will come tomorrow) but here is a nice picture of the view from the island I am on now.

grenada-caribbean.jpg

• Like 8

The Introverted Goddess

Though I'm sure the photos of your Caribbean holiday will make me super jelly, I'm subbing to watch your Primal journey! I try to be Primal with my diet most of the time too (I love butter, what can I say?) but I haven't been as diligent with Primality in my movement and general living.

Maybe we can swap ideas in a mutually beneficial fashion :)

I totally agree that you should spend your holiday enjoying the hell out of everything, and start your challenge after that too ;)

• Like 1

Valkyrie Assassin/Adventurer

Epic Quest

Current Challenge:

Previous Challenges: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th

Awesome photo. Super jelly. ;) Looks like a good challenge.

• Like 1

AnnieP (respawned)

Starting over Newbie (second time's the charm)

"Never be satisfied with anything less than absolute perfection! ...said no sane person ever." -- Spark

"And my cheese monster will never be satisfied by cheddar, only the cheese of accomplishment." -- Ze Frank, An Invocation for Beginnings(NSFW)

Current Challenge: Finding Her Joy Again;  Previous Challenge: Here We Go Again

Have a looooovely vacation!

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines