It's my strong hand

pumazealy

Hey warriors - a bit of an intro since this is my first time as a warrior.

i've been in and out of challenges all year, never quite finding something i can stick to that i enjoy.

when i first started i loved body weight, found that i hate cardio, circuits are good but lacked motivation.

Not at home from 6am - 6pm so finding a time to workout is difficult, unless it's short (cardio, blergh) or is just on the weekend.

Boyfriend (who i work out with) has been thinking about strength training for a while.

I asked a friend of mine who is a personal trainer and competes in judo professionally for a good place to start.

Enter the German Body Comp, which we've done for the last three weeks. Love it!

Boyfriend then spends vast majority of the day reading up on strength training.

And this brings us to Strong Lifts 5x5

A simple workout, done three times a week, relatively quick, and we enjoy strength training.

Sold!

And so shapes my next challenge.

6 weeks of doing 5x5, 3 times a week.

Always good form.

And adding in some pull ups/chin ups as an extra thing to do - assisted at first.

I have the strong lifts 5x5 app on my ipod to use at the gym, will also set up the spreadsheet on google docs to keep track of my progress overall. Will add in chin ups too.

I say this every challenge but i am excited about starting this, in that i feel like i've finally found something i enjoy that i can see good progress doing - which gives me a reason to keep doing it.

• Like 3

Race: Dwarf. Class: Warrior. Level: 4 STR: 9 DEX: 4 STA: 5 CON: 7 WIS: 8 CHA: 2

Daily Quest Battle Log

Challenge 1: BBWW will be my bitch Browncoat

Challenge 2: Calling in the Cavalry Knights of the GSPC

Challenge 3: K.I.S.S. Knights of the GSPC

Challenge 4: Back in Black  C25K & Zombies, Run! Champions

Challenge 5: It's my Strong Hand

"So that's everything huh. no weapons, no friends, no hope. take all that away and what's left?

Me"

Stronglifts is a good strong lifting program...so to speak.

I don't plan on doing it forever. I get bored very easily which is a problem for me. But it's an easy to follow programme that I can focus on for now.

Any reason why you don't like it? I'm open to all this stuff. I've only heard good stuff. If you can recommend anything else that would be great

Daily Quest Battle Log

"So that's everything huh. no weapons, no friends, no hope. take all that away and what's left?

Me"

As you can see, Wildross has a way with words when it comes to SL!!! 

The only thing I didn't like about SL, was the Barbell Row...I had to move over to T-Bar Rows in order to have my chest supported...as the weight increased, my back muscles couldn't keep up and I started getting little twinges in my Low back (not good).  Other than that, I loved it, and still incorporate my faves Squats, DL, and OHP!

• Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal Stats: (
About Me)
Start Weight: 279.6    Current Weight: 270.1    Goal Weight: 220.0

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Challenge History: Lvl 1 Rebel, PvP, Lvl 2 Warrior, Lvl 3 Warrior

Yay!!  I started on SLs, too.  I enjoyed it and made some nice progress.  Welcome to the warriors!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

As you can see, Wildross has a way with words when it comes to SL!!! 

The only thing I didn't like about SL, was the Barbell Row...I had to move over to T-Bar Rows in order to have my chest supported...as the weight increased, my back muscles couldn't keep up and I started getting little twinges in my Low back (not good).  Other than that, I loved it, and still incorporate my faves Squats, DL, and OHP!

ahhh see that's something i wouldn't think about - good to know though thanks

Yay!!  I started on SLs, too.  I enjoyed it and made some nice progress.  Welcome to the warriors!

thanks for the welcome :D

Just start throwing in some assistance lifts to cure the boredom. Then start programming them when you graduate to 3x5... That's what I did.

no idea that 3x5 is - other than the obvious, but looking forward to progressing more and adapting as time goes on.

today i started my first 5x5 workout, as a warm up to see how long it would take.

part of this challenge is a change to when i work out. usually it's after work if i can be bothered. so to remove that i've switched work hours twice a week to allow a workout in the morning. so i don't end up working too late i've had to make sure i can do this workout in about 45/50 mins including warm up and stretch after.

today clocked in at 1 hour 15 mins. but warm up took 20 minutes, which was mostly fluffing around and the dynamic warm up takes too long.

so monday when i start my first week and this new challenge, i'll be doing a shortened version of the dynamic warm up.

i've set up my spreadsheet too - to help keep track of what weight i'm up to and so i can look back to see what weight might be giving me trouble

i did start lighter for my squats, but i'm still not 100% in form - much better weighted than body weight though. will keep progressing from here, just didn't want to get myself into too much trouble

assisted pull ups and chin ups will be a challenge. but hey little by little yeah.

will do the same as 5x5, but instead after i can do one set of 5 with the assisted weight i will drop it.

(oh btw, two set ups in the spreadsheet so i can track the boyfs as well)

• Like 2

Daily Quest Battle Log

Me"

ahhh see that's something i wouldn't think about - good to know though thanks

thanks for the welcome :D

no idea that 3x5 is - other than the obvious, but looking forward to progressing more and adapting as time goes on.

today i started my first 5x5 workout, as a warm up to see how long it would take.

part of this challenge is a change to when i work out. usually it's after work if i can be bothered. so to remove that i've switched work hours twice a week to allow a workout in the morning. so i don't end up working too late i've had to make sure i can do this workout in about 45/50 mins including warm up and stretch after.

today clocked in at 1 hour 15 mins. but warm up took 20 minutes, which was mostly fluffing around and the dynamic warm up takes too long.

so monday when i start my first week and this new challenge, i'll be doing a shortened version of the dynamic warm up.

i've set up my spreadsheet too - to help keep track of what weight i'm up to and so i can look back to see what weight might be giving me trouble

i did start lighter for my squats, but i'm still not 100% in form - much better weighted than body weight though. will keep progressing from here, just didn't want to get myself into too much trouble

assisted pull ups and chin ups will be a challenge. but hey little by little yeah.

will do the same as 5x5, but instead after i can do one set of 5 with the assisted weight i will drop it.

(oh btw, two set ups in the spreadsheet so i can track the boyfs as well)

3x5 just stands for 3 sets of 5 reps.  In SL 5x5, when you have trouble progressing with your lifts and have already deloaded a couple of times, you switch to 3x5. I hadn't gotten to this point yet, myself. 

Kudos for switching up your work schedule in order to set yourself up for success.  For your workout, how long are you taking for your rests between reps?  That's another place to look if your workout is taking longer than you like.  As the weights increased, I needed to increase my rest time and wasn't able to keep my workout (which also included pull-up, core, and mobility work) to under an hour, but you can probably fit it in to that time frame in the beginning. 

• Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10, 2.11, 2.12  

3x5 just stands for 3 sets of 5 reps. In SL 5x5, when you have trouble progressing with your lifts and have already deloaded a couple of times, you switch to 3x5. I hadn't gotten to this point yet, myself.

Kudos for switching up your work schedule in order to set yourself up for success. For your workout, how long are you taking for your rests between reps? That's another place to look if your workout is taking longer than you like. As the weights increased, I needed to increase my rest time and wasn't able to keep my workout (which also included pull-up, core, and mobility work) to under an hour, but you can probably fit it in to that time frame in the beginning.

90 second rest time between sets. We may have to switch gyms to one that opens earlier to fit our workouts in once our weights increase, or we might put some money towards getting a rack and weights for home.

That 3x5 is great to keep in mind down the track, thanks

Daily Quest Battle Log

Me"

Found you!

Haha yeah you did!

Daily Quest Battle Log

Me"

I don't plan on doing it forever. I get bored very easily which is a problem for me. But it's an easy to follow programme that I can focus on for now.

Any reason why you don't like it? I'm open to all this stuff. I've only heard good stuff. If you can recommend anything else that would be great

I like it fine. I think it works for a lot longer than most purple will stick with it. I was trying to be punny

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

So yesterday was Monday for me, and i started this challenge at 5.30am with the new workout routine.

which is just three days a week of SL5x5

during the week it will be done before work - which yuhp is at 5.30am - and if it falls on the weekend will be when we wake up. usually around 8am - 10am

Warm ups will always be a version of the dynamic warm up and cool down is just stretching.

so for the first day:

warm up -

2 mins jump rope (can do about 30 secs max atm, but keep going for 2 mins)

10 lunges (5 each leg)

10 pelvic raises

10 hip/stepping over a fence things (5 each leg)

10 leg swings, each leg both front/back and side to side

10 press ups (which are on knees atm)

5x5

was day B (since did A on sat), did squats with just the bar after trying lighter on the first lot. form is looking really good now. knees were a bit funny during (have shifting knee caps) but not bad pain.

overhead press was just with the bar, and deadlifts at the recommended start of 95 pounds.

assisted pull ups were a wash, couldn't even get one done - might be cos of the overhead press??

but did 3 assisted chin ups!

all data and progress on the ss

got the mad hungers all day after the workout though, many other paleo lifters reading this? or anyone with advice for eating habbits with lifting days?

eat paleo to eat clean. but will eat some carbs during the few non paleo meals (pizza, pasta generally) but typically breat and wheat do effect my reflux. i do love my pasta though ;)

FYI - typically daily eating is protein shake w/ coconut milk, banana, kiwifruit, peaches and froz berries first thing in the morning/post workout (5-6.30am). bacon, egg and kumara cups around (8-9am). apple during morning if hungry. lunch is roasted veges (brocolli, cauli, zuchinni, yams) with salami. dinner is generally meat and veges/chicken wraps/paleo curry and two non paleo meals on the weekend.

Daily Quest Battle Log

Me"

I was full Paleo but when I started the last stage of NROLW, I put in a bowl of porridge with berries and banana in the mornings, about 1/2 an hour before lifting. However because I do, I then added bread and pasta.........not good.

So back to full Paleo for me, I just figure eat MOAR! :)

• Like 1

Wait! What............?

I was full Paleo but when I started the last stage of NROLW, I put in a bowl of porridge with berries and banana in the mornings, about 1/2 an hour before lifting. However because I do, I then added bread and pasta.........not good.

So back to full Paleo for me, I just figure eat MOAR! :)

Haha yeah just eat more I think is the key.

Need to find more that I can take to work though. Have nuts and raisins during the day too but think I need more substantial in between meals.

My eating habits seems to be lots of small portions vs fewer larger meals (boyfriend)

Daily Quest Battle Log

Me"

I'm glad SL is going well!  And since your rest sets are already short, it doesn't look like you'll be able to make up time there.  You have my respect for those early morning workouts. 

Sometimes I have trouble doing pull-up progression exercises after OHP, but more so because of shoulder issues--I don't think they're strong enough to take my body weight after being fatigues in OHP.  I generally find the grip for chin-ups to be easier on them. 

I eat Paleo and get my post-workout carbs in using sweet potatoes (red onion + sweet potato + chicken + egg = deliciousness).  They're easy to microwave, too--just stab them with a fork or knife a few times, stick a wet paper towel over them, and microwave on high for about 5-6 min. (flip them over at the halfway mark). 

• Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10, 2.11, 2.12  

Thanks for the tips guys.

I had another work out this morning and the hunger wasn't too bad today, just the usual.

I think Mondays empty day was due to eating rice on Sunday night. I find the few times I eat carbs I'm always really hungry after.

The 5.30am workouts are pretty easy. I'm up at 5 am regardless but found that after being away from home for 12 hours (travel and work) I was too tired to work out.

So this way I get it done early then after work can come home and relax.

Daily Quest Battle Log

Me"

Yay! Another new SL person! Keep it up, you're doing so well. :)

• Like 1

Level 2 Human Warrior

STR: 5 // DEX: 2 // STA: 2 // CON: 4 // WIS: 3 // CHA: 4

Introduction

Challenges: 1, 2 (current)

Fitocracy

Battle Log

"Didn't you know? Women have to be strong in order to survive!" -- Sakura Haruno

"If I look back I am lost." -- Daenerys Targaryen

"It's the job that's never started as takes the longest to finish." -- Samwise Gamgee

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." -- Albus Dumbledore

"Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It's not the time, it's the person." -- 10th Doctor

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines