Syren's Quest for the Holy Trinity of Endurance Sportage

Syren

*In a land far away and long ago a great peril fell upon the world, rendering the beloved king unable to protect his people from monsters. As a captive he was held frozen in stone, unable to move or escape, but still to hear and see all that transpired in his kingdom. A mighty power lay dormant while the king remained locked in stone. A great and evil sorcerer had sought this power, and sent monsters forth to distract the kingdom's lesser guardians while it pursued the king. But the sorcerer could not figure out how to steal the king's power, there was a missing piece to the puzzle. So the sorcerer locked the king in stone and sent his minions far and wide to search for the key. Danger crept into the land and much did the people suffer.

But in one village, yet untouched by the stain of evil, did live a people who could change shape at will. When monsters began to encroach upon their land, life would go from peaceful to discord...*

*Syren awoke that morning groggy and disoriented. Someone was shouting for her to wake up, and hurry. She wiped the sleep from her eyes, then stood to stretch when she caught a whiff of fire. Immediately she was awake and stumbling from the house. It was not her domicile that was ablaze, but one down the street. People had already started a bucket line, sending water to put out the conflagration. Syren stood out of the way for a moment. She looked around for something to do that would help, when she heard a large FWOOOSH! She turned to look and a giant fireball ignited her house!  

A great wave of heat knocked her down, but not before she caught sight of a giant beast lumbering off behind the village. Villagers scattered here and there trying to put out the new fire that was much larger and could move throughout the town.  Syren however moved to follow the beast.

It trampled through the woods and came to rest next to another monster. This one looked very different, instead of impossibly huge and porcine like the fire shooter, this one stood tall on goat legs with twisting bull horns above its eyes and the blackest skin rippled with muscles and odd tattoos. The tattoos, like the creature's eyes glimmered with a silver sheen as light touched them through the trees. The monster seemed to be carrying a bundle of rags.

Syren gasped when the bundle was tossed about to reveal the young prince who had been visiting their hamlet.  The boy was unconscious and a dribble of blood dripped from a slash across his forehead. She ran forward, but tripped on roots and over her own feet. The monsters did not even turn to look back at her as they crashed through the trees. She stood up, and began to go after them again, but her ankle would not support her weight.

Against a tree, Syren slumped. She should go back to the village and tell someone what had happened so that a party could be formed and the princeling saved! But she would be so slow, that the prince might be dead before she even got to the village. Still, she would not have been much help to the little prince, she had no defense against those monsters.

She put her hand on a knot on the tree, resolved to get some help, when a burst of blue light came shooting from a knothole in the tree. Syren was briefly startled by the creature, but soon determined that it was merely some odd species of insect. But the little creature was insistent and fluttered about her head shouting in a language that she could not understand.

She swatted at the fairy, for that is what it turned out to be. It was shouting "Oye! Escucha!" incessantly. Syren shouted back at it for a moment, but that did no good. She grew tired of the bright blue orb on wings, and began to hobble back to the village. She padded through some grass and kicked what felt like a bottle. She picked it up and found that it held some money, not a large quantity, but enough to put away in savings. She wondered if it were the princling's. She pocketed the jar for now, and limped on.

When she finally came upon the village, no one was about, and houses stood in covered in soot, or not at all. She called out to the town: "HELLOOOO!" No one responded. She moved to intact doors and knocked, but their were no answers. Slowly she made her way to the village center where the elders would gather. She entered the greathouse and found the townspeople seething within. They were angry, and when she entered, that wrath seemed to turn to her. But the eldest of the elders stemmed the tide of anger by coming up behind Syren and asking if she had seen anything in the woods. 

She told them of what had transpired, but she was the only one that could spy the fairy. She had given up on it, and hoped that it would scream itself hoarse in the shortest amount of time possible. Another elder brought her a drought that helped to relieve the pain in her ankle, yet another brought her a box, and another a tiny trident. She looked at these puzzled. The eldest elder smiled at her and said, "You must be our village's champion. Go, find our prince and bring justice down upon the monsters that did this to us."

A frown grew upon Syren's face and a short stammer of disbelief came from her, but the town's people began ushering her back out the door.  She soon stood upon the stoop of the greathouse with the box and trident. She looked at the tools dubiously. "Our village apparently has no sword." Sighing deeply, she set out at a limp back into the forest and after her quarry.*

Travel the world in whatever form is required:

Run like the wolf, swim like the dolphin, and bike, like a... well, like EPONA! Tri training dayz!

But it is dangerous to go alone!

Outfit yourself with the tools of lunch box and grill fork for they will come in very handy for long days of travel! Primal/Paleo type choices, about 60% - 70% (mostly cutting alcohol, for while tasty and occasionally mind numbing, it does not help with the belly fat and over weighted issues.)

Keep up your strength!

Be strong, like bear: get back into the strength training thing, it might only take 10 minutes, do it.

¡Oye! Â¡Escucha!

Learn how to speak to this fairy so that it stops repeating itself: Spanish learning, because it might be useful one day.

Smile

Keep those canines bright, shiny, and pointy: by flossing every day.

Spreadsheet of Progress!

• Like 4

STRENGTH (0) | DEXTERITY (-1) | CONSTITUTION (1) | WISDOM (3) | INTELLIGENCE (3) | CHARISMA (2)

Syren  -- Chaotic Good -- Human Druish Ranger -- Current Challenge -- Battle Log

This looks set to be an epic quest of awesomeness. I might need to look away when the Spanish comes on the screen though.

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

You don't want to compare romance language notes, 18ck?

The trouble is they're too similar and Spanish is more memorable. its very confusing. And the Portuguese don't like it if you speak Spanish to them by mistake. It's like asking a Canadian what part of America they're from or saying "G'day Sheila!" to a Kiwi.
  • Like 1

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

What if the kiwi is named Sheila?

Look like good goals as always. Hooray languages! We gotta start translating stuff for amusement.

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

It's the biking and the running that are trying for me.

Oh my god, hills are treacherous even if the ankle is stretched properly. But I'm thinking if I actually keep up with a proper schedule, it will strengthen up a bit and will not be quite so painful. Starting off really light at first though. I don't want to coddle it, but I really would like to not torment it either.

There is a 5K race at the end of September in my town, which gives proceeds towards medical research for degenerative muscle diseases. If I can spare the entrance fare, I might try it out with the new running skillz. Motivation helps ;)

STRENGTH (0) | DEXTERITY (-1) | CONSTITUTION (1) | WISDOM (3) | INTELLIGENCE (3) | CHARISMA (2)

Syren  -- Chaotic Good -- Human Druish Ranger -- Current Challenge -- Battle Log

Nice set up.  What are you doing to practice Spanish?  I've started using the free app Duolingo to brush up on my Spanish, and I like it pretty well so far.

I just found Duolingo when I was doing a vocabulary search. But I have an Idiot's Guide to Learning Spanish that has been collecting dust for several years that I have dusted off for grammar and mechanics.

I took Latin in high school, so I'm really confident that this might be a confusing process, but I think the mechanics are similar for the current romance languages.

The trouble is they're too similar and Spanish is more memorable. its very confusing. And the Portuguese don't like it if you speak Spanish to them by mistake. It's like asking a Canadian what part of America they're from or saying "G'day Sheila!" to a Kiwi.

Blasphemy!!!

Great looking challenge, hefty goals

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

I just found Duolingo when I was doing a vocabulary search. But I have an Idiot's Guide to Learning Spanish that has been collecting dust for several years that I have dusted off for grammar and mechanics.

I took Latin in high school, so I'm really confident that this might be a confusing process, but I think the mechanics are similar for the current romance languages.

I took French and Spanish concurrently in High School.  There are plenty of times when I can only think of the French version of a word when I'm trying to speak Spanish, but for the most part it's okay.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

I have aspirations for French, which I can puzzle together when reading. I can't quite wrap my tongue around the multiple vowels and silent consonants however. Spanish just seemed more useful for the immediate future. 

• Like 1

Subbed, great looking goals. Although I completely get where you are coming from with the reference I still can't help picturing Epona on a bike, which has made me smile :)

Level: 3 - Wood Elf - Wanderer

STR: 0 | DEX: 5 | STA: 11 | CON: 5 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 2

Challenges: 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | Current

"Quit...don't quit...noodles...don't noodles. You are too concerned with what was, and what will be"

- Master Oogway

Day 1 -- The Hunt is On

*Syren crossed to the edge of the forest skirting the village. Here the land dropped into the sea on high cliffs rather than the gently sloping dunes on the south side of the island. The wind whipped the waves into a green froth as they bit into the feet of the cliff's side. Together, water and wind set a low howl through the myriad of holes carved into the rocks. It was an eerie place, though beautiful.

Syren had found the tracks that the monsters had left behind. There appeared to be no sign of the monsters any longer. She paced up and down the edge of the island searching for them. They would have had to taken flight or plunged into the depths.  Here the depths were plagued with rough stones and high currents. The conditions were unforgiving.

Nearly a mile out, she spied a glint of silver and a deep black shade swooping over the ocean. The shadow cast against the waves was that of a giant bird, or at least something with giant wings. It flapped hard over the water as if it were carrying a great load.

She had to follow, but she had no form with wings. Down to the crashing waves she looked. With a reproachful glance at the rocks seething in the waves, she took a deep breath and took a plunge into the surge.*

Today's swim was brought to you by, water. Without this magnificent polar molecule most of the life on the planet Earth would not exist (probably). Do your body a favor, and make sure that you take in your daily required dihydrogen oxide. Keep your H2O high quality by encouraging yourself and others to not litter and continue to pursue regulating industries and corporate scum in their dumping practices. This has been a public service announcement from people who like to drink clean water. Â¡Yo tengo mi agua!

The Workout

100 Free Swim Warm Up

100 Scull (good for stretching arm muscles despite being woefully, irritatingly, embarrassingly slow)

100 Free Power Pull with Buoy (focus on extension and body roll)

100 Free Power Pull with Buoy and Tennis Balls (focus on hand placement, extension, and body roll)

100 Free Kick with board

100 Breast Kick with board

100 Fly Kick with board

100 Back Kick no board

100 Fly Swim timed (00:02:00)

100 Back Swim timed (00:02:04)

100 Breast Swim timed (00:02:40)

100 Free Swim timed (00:01:34)

100 Free one arm drill

100 Breast one arm drill

100 Back one arm drill

100 Fly one arm drill

500 Free Swim timed (00:08:36)

200 Choice Swim Cool Down

2300 yards Total (~2100 meters)

I have discovered that in all languages, possessives as well as demonstrative pronouns irritate the piss out of me. But other than that, I supposedly have a 200+ words vocabulary according to Duolingo after 4 days of playing. Using Duolingo, I notice how much I like learning games, and wish someone would do such a thing for calculus proofs and limits... they may not be any easier to grasp, but they would be much more interesting.

La Comida (Duolingo really likes food, like I like food)

No bebo cerveza ni vino con mi desayuno, mi almuerzo, o mi cena.

El Desayuno -- Las frutas y nueces (I was trying to make nut and fruit bars, but it ended poorly on formation. Still tasted good despite messiness.)

Fresas y cacahuetes con cocao y miel (I know peanuts are not paleo, but I needed to get rid of the meal in my refrigerator, also peanuts are delicious)

una banana

El Almuerzo -- cerdo, batata, y col (pork, sweet potato, and cabbage)

Las Botanas -- peanut butter chai smoothie (not even going to attempt in Spanish)

La Cena -- pescado, espinacas, tomates, y remolachas (tilapia, spinach, tomatoes, and beets)

That's all for today  :onthego: 

• Like 2

Day 2 -- Run on the Dungeon

*She had timed her leap with the crashing waves so that water was flooded over the rocks when she landed, and the current rushed her out and away from the cliff face. She kicked with the current, moving away as fast as she could from the sharp rocks. Luck would have it that none were in her way to impeded progress, or slice her to ribbons.

Away from the rocky shore, the sea calmed enough for her to sneak a quick breath above the swell. At water level she could not see the beast or its shadow. She pinpointed the direction she had seen them flying and made a quick flip with her legs in pursuit. She moved through the waves until something shiny caught her attention on the bottom. Here the water was not yet so deep that she would be crushed. She doubted that any water would be so deep in this sound between her island and the mainland. Curiosity got the better of her and she kicked down to the floor.

She felt her flesh break out into goose pimples, she had a bad feeling about this. But there it was, an old sturdy trunk sunk into the muck of the bottom. Syren removed the tiny trident from her waist pocket. Where the weapon lacked in reach, it made up for in cruelly pointed barbs. Fish made a point to evade her every which way. Carefully she approached the box, when several large squid attacked her.

I love calamari! She thought as she prepared to do battle.*

Life without new plastic, can I manage it? Thought experiment for the morning while watching my patrons not drown.

Followed by some strength training: how many of the things can I do in a minute, or how long can I hold a thing. I will probably increase to 2 reps next week, and maybe add weights? Still working on the real push up and real triceps dip. I want to work on a to the ground squat, but I need a wall, and I have heard walls are cheating.

Run -- 1/2 of C25K -- Aiming for a whole one Thursday

Swim workout

200 Free Swim Warm Up

100 Scull 

100 Fly -- swim, drill, kick, swim

100 Back -- swim, drill, kick, swim

100 Breast -- swim, drill, kick, swim

100 Free -- swim, drill, kick, swim

100 IM

100 Free Pull

I almost forgot my Spanish! But I got a lesson or two in now... Feel like I need to review vocab. Also, put a Latin ending on, how embarrassing. 

La Camida! (Same stuff as yesterday, kinda)

El Desayuno -- Fresas y cacahuetes con cocao y miel (strawberries and peanuts with cocoa and honey)

La Banana

El Almeurzo -- Bacon, Kale, Tomatoes, Carrots, Avocado, Grapes

La Cena -- Pescado, Col (Tilapia and Cabbage, I appreciate simple a great deal)

Las Botanas -- Dessert Experiment -- Flourless Brownies (epic flop, but helpful against chocolate rage)

• Like 3

Day 2 -- Run on the Dungeon

*She had timed her leap with the crashing waves so that water was flooded over the rocks when she landed, and the current rushed her out and away from the cliff face. She kicked with the current, moving away as fast as she could from the sharp rocks. Luck would have it that none were in her way to impeded progress, or slice her to ribbons.

Away from the rocky shore, the sea calmed enough for her to sneak a quick breath above the swell. At water level she could not see the beast or its shadow. She pinpointed the direction she had seen them flying and made a quick flip with her legs in pursuit. She moved through the waves until something shiny caught her attention on the bottom. Here the water was not yet so deep that she would be crushed. She doubted that any water would be so deep in this sound between her island and the mainland. Curiosity got the better of her and she kicked down to the floor.

She felt her flesh break out into goose pimples, she had a bad feeling about this. But there it was, an old sturdy trunk sunk into the muck of the bottom. Syren removed the tiny trident from her waist pocket. Where the weapon lacked in reach, it made up for in cruelly pointed barbs. Fish made a point to evade her every which way. Carefully she approached the box, when several large squid attacked her.

I love calamari! She thought as she prepared to do battle.*

Life without new plastic, can I manage it? Thought experiment for the morning while watching my patrons not drown.

Followed by some strength training: how many of the things can I do in a minute, or how long can I hold a thing. I will probably increase to 2 reps next week, and maybe add weights? Still working on the real push up and real triceps dip. I want to work on a to the ground squat, but I need a wall, and I have heard walls are cheating.

Run -- 1/2 of C25K -- Aiming for a whole one Thursday

Swim workout

200 Free Swim Warm Up

100 Scull 

100 Fly -- swim, drill, kick, swim

100 Back -- swim, drill, kick, swim

100 Breast -- swim, drill, kick, swim

100 Free -- swim, drill, kick, swim

100 IM

100 Free Pull

I almost forgot my Spanish! But I got a lesson or two in now... Feel like I need to review vocab. Also, put a Latin ending on, how embarrassing. 

La Camida! (Same stuff as yesterday, kinda)

El Desayuno -- Fresas y cacahuetes con cocao y miel (strawberries and peanuts with cocoa and honey)

La Banana

El Almeurzo -- Bacon, Kale, Tomatoes, Carrots, Avocado, Grapes

La Cena -- Pescado, Col (Tilapia and Cabbage, I appreciate simple a great deal)

Las Botanas -- Dessert Experiment -- Flourless Brownies (epic flop, but helpful against chocolate rage)

I have found almost all flourless desserts to fall in that category:  not actually good, but at least it's chocolate

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Enjoying the story. Your swims are awesome, I am but a fledgling swimmer and its great to see what I can aspire to, that day one swim is a drill monster! Good luck with the other two sides of your tri-force of fitness too :)

Level: 3 - Wood Elf - Wanderer

STR: 0 | DEX: 5 | STA: 11 | CON: 5 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 2

Challenges: 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | Current

"Quit...don't quit...noodles...don't noodles. You are too concerned with what was, and what will be"

- Master Oogway

Day 3 -- Stopping for Directions

*The squid thrust out their tentacles with lightning speed, trying to wrench the the micro trident from her hands. Syren kept hold of the grilling fork and stabbed at an eyeball of the nearest squid. It left her in an inky cloud and jetted away. The other squid flailed at her with suction cup encrusted arms. each suction cup was composed of a tiny row of teeth that latched onto her skin. Syren stabbed one in the fleshy mantle near the brain with her grilling fork. It flopped and flailed, but the beak was no longer trying to tear into her flesh.

The two other squid kept coming. She could not see her attackers in the inky mucous hanging about. Instead of waiting for them, she kicked towards the surface for another breath of air. Her assailants followed, though they made their progress backwards. They could see her well enough as they moved in the odd fashion that only a cephalopod can manage.

She made it to the surface for a breath before the squid could attack her again. Once under the waves, she turned to an offensive strategy where she grabbed for the nearest squid's mantle with one hand and stabbed her trident at the other. Her nemeses did not last for much longer once caught. 

Warily she kicked back down to the shiny box glittering on the sea floor. Squid pieces were now scattered about, but they were quickly being found out by the local fish population.  Ignoring the carnage as well as the clean up effort, Syren opened the box. It was a map. And as luck would have it, three quarters of it was obscured.

"Well that's helpful." She thought.

Syren kicked hard to motor on in the last known direction of the kidnapped prince.*

Swim Day! But with sprints... :(

200 Free Warm Up

100 Scull

4 x 25 Butterfly sprint (avg. 30 seconds)

4 x 25 Backstroke sprint (avg. 34 seconds)

4 x 25 Breaststroke sprint (avg. 1:00 minute per 50, and 31 seconds per 25

4 x 25 Freestyle sprint (every one 22 seconds)

100 choice easy

4 x 25 Butterfly kick sprint

4 x 25 Backstroke kick sprint

4 x 25 Breaststroke kick sprint

4 x 25 Freestyle kick sprint

100 Free pull

4 x 25 Butterfly sprint / kick sprint alt.

4 x 25 Backstroke sprint / kick sprint alt.

4 x 25 Breaststroke sprint / kick sprint alt.

4 x 25 Freestyle sprint / kick sprint alt.

100 Free pull

200 IM easy

200 Choice Cool Down

2300 Total

The food is about the same as yesterday only I added a baked potato to dinner since I am dragging around, and I had chicken legs instead of bacon. I'm toying with my menu for next week and have discovered new experiments with yucca for the weekend. Can I make poptarts? Will they taste good? The yucca had almost no flavor when I had it at a Peruvian restaurant, but it might just be subtle compared to everything else on the plate, screaming at my tastebuds in shear bliss..

Duolingo takes it sweet time introducing tense. I want will's and had's!

• Like 3

I have discovered that there is a 2 mile and 5 mile swim event in Hunstville, AL September 20. I am sorely tempted, but I do not think my schedule will allow me to do it since it is kind of far away (>3hours). Also it is the first year for this event, swimming in the TN River, so I'm not sure if there will be a lot of kinks or not. I would also have to convince my SO (runas19) to by my kayak bystander, and I am not sure he will want to get up that early. Something to think on anyway. Registration closes August 30, so I have a little time.

I didn't realise your OH was on Nerdfitness too.

Enjoying the squiddly diddly.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines