SevenFootGeek is acting all proper

SevenFootGeek

Packing a fucking kettlebell. That's why I love you.

Also...

I am totally stealing this.  Oh the things I miss when I leave the Monks for a little while!  I should'a been doing this for months.  

Apparently Thrillho has been sending people towards that link too. If I'd have known it would've traveled so far out of the Monastery, I might've thought twice about posting so many pic/vids of me. Or you know....like made myself look decent or whatever. Kiiinda weird knowing there's people all over the country that I don't know looking at my hips...and gut.

>.>

<.<

(Not Monks, though. Yous mah bros. You love me even though I look a crazy mess.)  xD

Hip mobility has been done every day. Thank the great noodly appendage for Cheechoe.

QFT!  Sounds like you have a solid plan for your vacation.  Packing a kettlebell is awesomeness!  And dedication.  And badassery.  Go you! 

Also...

Apparently Thrillho has been sending people towards that link too. If I'd have known it would've traveled so far out of the Monastery, I might've thought twice about posting so many pic/vids of me. Or you know....like made myself look decent or whatever. Kiiinda weird knowing there's people all over the country that I don't know looking at my hips...and gut.

(Not Monks, though. Yous mah bros. You love me even though I look a crazy mess.)  xD

We're generally our own worst critics.  Don't worry about it.  A: it's a spectacular mobility guide, and B: you look perfectly great in it.  

I can tell you it helped me a ton, and I haven't even been all that crazy with it.  (it'll probably be a goal on my next Challenge, though)

• Like 2

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

*cries a little*   Hip mobility.... hip mobility.   I really need to take a card from your success and get on board with this.

Keep it up!  That's some awesomeness right there.

Level 78 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

*cries a little*   Hip mobility.... hip mobility.   I really need to take a card from your success and get on board with this.

Keep it up!  That's some awesomeness right there.

You do those sumo squats! GET ON IT!!!

squat.jpg

(Pic for Starpuck but I mostly enjoyed the fact that I got to put it on your thread.)

I do not eat mushrooms as they are spongy, foul-tasting spore factories.  Blech.

It was a very long shower.  Possibly the longest in history.

The short version is that I had a really good vacation, but I followed none of my goals.  

The long version is... longer.  

We packed the car with all of the food and all of our supplies and we had a PLAN.  I was going to be healthy and exercise and life would be good.  We spent 3 days in Bracebridge and I only missed one day of push-ups.  That was largely due to dealing with the long weekend traffic and not arriving at our destination until midnight.  Our weekend in Bracebridge was very restful.  I slept an awful lot.  Then I did some push-ups.  Then I slept some more.

On Monday, we drove to Huntsville to meet my brother and my mother.  We were to travel in a convoy together the rest of the way, since we had no idea where we were going.  We drove to North Bay, then west a ways to Sturgeon Falls, and then to the road that time forgot.  

I grew up in the city.  I have driven on exactly one gravel road in my life.  That's the one to my in-law's cottage property.  This was barely a road.  For an hour after we left the bustling metropolis of Field (population 1200), we were on a roller coaster-like gravel road, narrowing to a terrifying size, and nearly being run off the road by trucks hauler enormous trailers.  It was an experience, to say the least.

Now, although I feared for my life on the drive up, the fishing lodge itself may have been one of the most picturesque scenes I have ever encountered.  The view out over the lake was incredible.  Pictures simply do not do it justice.  I did the last of my push-ups in front of the fire on the shore of the lake.  It would be the last push-ups I would do that week.

Over the following five days, I slept, fished, ate and slept some more.  The lake trout in Emerald Lake were delicious.  Apparently due to a specific type of shrimp found in that lake.  We caught 8 on our first venture out, and my mother caught some more for lunch the following day.  We took a day trip to another lake that required a trip down a road that was more rubble than road.  Over an hour to travel less than 20 km.  But that was a good day of pike fishing and our group took 18 good sized pike back to the lodge.  My brother deep fried two turkeys for one dinner and most of the camp came to our lodge for an impromptu pot luck.  And each day I slept for at least 4 hours on top of the night's sleep already.

I had these great intentions of exercising and doing push-ups in front of the lake and finding somewhere to train my pull-ups.  I packed my kettlebell and workout clothes.  There was a plan.  But then we got up there and the only thing I wanted to do was rest.  I was in bed shortly after the sun went down, up not too long after dawn, and then down for more sleep again by midday.  Every spare moment was spent with a lot of people, eating or fishing, or being alone only enough to sleep.  Mentally, I thought I was prepared to separate myself from the people I was with and take my time to do the active thing.  In actuality, I found myself extremely reluctant to take myself away from the crowd we were with and do my own thing.  

Thinking about it on the drive home, I realized that I was ashamed at the idea of being watched by my family and strangers.  Not to mention a little frightened.  I still have that part of my head that's locked in the same space I was in when I was a kid and a teenager.  The part of me that's ashamed of being different, of standing out from a crowd.  Yay, neuroses!  So that's a problem and one I need to confront.  

That's about it.  Total failure on all counts last week, but I have class tonight and hapkido always helps me to feel better about everything.  It also usually helps me to get back on track, which is something I sorely need.

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

Ah deary... don't let your lack of exercise ruin what was otherwise quite the pleasant vacation!!  So you napped.  So you enjoyed the company of the people you're with.  What's the point of being healthy if you don't live your life?  Maybe next time you can invite them for a hike, or perhaps let them in on your goals beforehand so that they can encourage you to strike out on your own--but for now, enjoy the memories you made and get back on track now that you're home. 

• Like 2

Aminarra, level 2 Ranger

Main Quest: Stay Focused!

No, YOU'RE awesome.

Battle Log | Current Challenge

STR 2|DEX 1|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 4

Wall of text

Doesn't sound like a total failure, you got some pushups in, and you were being active or resting, from a fitness perspective those are good things imo.

Just because things didn't go precisely according to plan doesn't mean you didn't make at least SOME progress on your personal fitness journey, and that's always a win in my mind.

• Like 2

lvl 4 Astartes Monk STR 8.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 6.5 | DEX 7.75 | WIS 10 | CHA 7.25

"Burn the Calorie, Kill the Workout, Purge the Apathy"

Push Up Challenge: Yellow Belt (36)

Sounds like a brilliant holiday.  Yep it went a bit off plan, but sounds blissful. 

Next time, yep, take them for a hike and go all karate kid under the trees.  But I like that you were getting on enough with folk to not have to deploy the tactic of "must go for a run now" (just to escape from all of the people).

Back to the dojo, hopefully all refreshed from good fish, good company and delicious sleep.

• Like 1

NF challenges: March 2018 , 12 , 11 , 10, 9876, 54321

I'm still sleeping like a stone, but I'm doing more for my challenge stuff.

Did push-ups on Monday and Tuesday. 

Did my stretching on Monday AND did a ton of kick stretches,  I'm not clever like Cheechoe to photograph and record these things, but suffice to say that my reach is up to about 6 feet on a side kick and my grand master is adamant that I can reach farther.  Given how far I've stretched so far, I'm inclined to believe that he's right.  My glutes and my hamstring are still sore.

On Tuesday I slacked off hard to go and see Guardians of the Galaxy.  Go see it, nerds.  Seriously.  Just stop talking and go see it.

• Like 2

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

Did my stretching on Monday AND did a ton of kick stretches,  I'm not clever like Cheechoe to photograph and record these things, but suffice to say that my reach is up to about 6 feet on a side kick and my grand master is adamant that I can reach farther.  Given how far I've stretched so far, I'm inclined to believe that he's right.  My glutes and my hamstring are still sore.

On Tuesday I slacked off hard to go and see Guardians of the Galaxy.  Go see it, nerds.  Seriously.  Just stop talking and go see it.

SERIOUSLY, GO SEE IT!

also, ALL THE PUSHUPS

You can kick OVER MY HEAD.  Now I feel like a hobbit. >.> <.<

And thirded.  People need to go see GotG.

• Like 2

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

You can kick OVER MY HEAD.  Now I feel like a hobbit. >.> <.<

And thirded.  People need to go see GotG.

Not up.  Out.  Going for range, not height.  I already have height without good hip mobility.  I can throw an axe kick into anyone's temple at my club.  Our style of hapkido goes in for full commitment when attacking.  So the extra range has the entire body weight being thrown into the motion and you very much need a wide range of motion to successfully do that.

Also, you're not a hobbit.  Maybe a dwarf, at best.  :P  We have hobbits.  They're much, much tinier than you.  Right, Cheechoe?  :D

• Like 1

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

Not up.  Out.  Going for range, not height.  I already have height without good hip mobility.  I can throw an axe kick into anyone's temple at my club.  Our style of hapkido goes in for full commitment when attacking.  So the extra range has the entire body weight being thrown into the motion and you very much need a wide range of motion to successfully do that.

Also, you're not a hobbit.  Maybe a dwarf, at best.   :tongue:  We have hobbits.  They're much, much tinier than you.  Right, Cheechoe?   :D

No kidding, must be easy for stuff to go over her head, good reflexes or not.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines