Anaticula, Just keep swimming

So that I don't forget about it later putting this here, I completed the SMART mini Quest and will get an extra + 1 WIS at the end of the 6 weeks.

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable?

I think that my main quest is reasonable.  I can only swim a little now, and my goal is to be able to swim 250 meters withough stopping and with good form by the end of the six weeks.  I've hired a trainer at my gym, so I am receiving swimming lessons to help me meet my goal.

2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on?

My three quests are to swim 100 meters, to complete the tasks my trainer assigns me, and to gradually move myself to a better diet.  The better diet part does have several levels, but I know that completing each level will enable me to stick with things instead of trying to cut out everything all at once.

3. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them?

​I believe my goals are realistic.  I can't really cut them back anymore, some of them may be challenging, but I can do them is I try.

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them?

The hardest goal to track will be checking how my form is while I swim, but I am going to rely on my swimming coach to correct me if I'm having problems with this.

5. How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€?

My goals can be easily graded, I am rewarding myself with attribute points, and I have arranged it so I will earn points as long as I am working at meeting my goals.  I will get less points if I don't meet them, but as long as I don't give up I will get points.

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured?

Provided I don't end up in a cast I can still swim even if I do get a slight injury. If I become ill it will depend on the type of illness.  I can complete the eating and saving money quests either way.

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those?

I don't think any holidays occur this time of year that would affect my training.  A bigger worry is staying away from the junk food and all the birthday parties my family has.

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another?

I think my goals work well together. Most of them build upon one another to reach my final goal.

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them?

I'm going to the gym at 5 am to swim everyday and cutting out evening tv to go to all the training sessions my trainer has scheduled.  He understands my work schedule and mostly gives me exercises to complete by the end of the day and not at a certain time of day.

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest?

Both. I'm trying to build the habit of daily exercise and better eating, which will help me reach my main quest.

I think I meet everything.  :) I might go back and add some real life rewards. I think my quest is very SMART. 

• Like 3

Current Challenge: Late start, but here at last.

Level 6 Magikarp

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5

My NF Character and Epic Quest!

I have to admit I'm not too crazy about the homework he gives me right now.  Yesterday I had to work on my final project for one of my grad classes and tomorrow I have final exams in both classes, but he's got me working out twice both days! I did manage to make it yesterday. I swam first thing when I woke up in the morning (the gym opens at 5 am), then again just before I went to sleep (they close at 10 pm, but I made it out at 9:30). I managed to finish my project too, (we had to design a website for a real company, which is pretty difficult considering we only learnt about html in June). Today I swam again as soon as I woke up, now I'm at work and hoping to study for exams by reading over my notes if things are quiet, then I have to be back at the gym for 5:20 to sign up for the 6 pm rowing class.  Class fills up quick so you have to get there early. 

I didn't do too well food wise yesterday. My project wasn't going well and when my brother brought me a coke I drank it because I was stressed out.  Then I made the mistake of weighing myself after I worked out, and I've only lost half a pound in two weeks, which made me sad, so I bought and drank a second coke.  Then I felt sad and guilty, and a little sick.  I think my body is not used to the caffeine anymore. And on top of that, I found that they didn't even taste any good.  So, on the down side, I drank two cokes, but on the plus side, I don't think I'll be doing it again because I've found I don't care for the flavor anymore.  

I'm actually new to html myself. And actually, I suck at it.  :grey: So really, I'm impressed with you completing your project!

As far as the cokes go, at least you learned that you don't care for the flavor anymore. So that's good. ^.^

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

Hi Anaticula! My name is Kailer and I am an Ambassador. That means I am here to help you make the most of your first Six Week Challenge! Welcome to NerdFitness – great new users like you are what keeps this place going strong :)

If you have any questions at all I am here to help you. One question you’ll ponder during your first six weeks is which guild to choose next time. Myself, I’m a proud Scout! That’s part of why I stopped by your thread – you’re interested in endurance sports, just like us. If you ever need help, answers, or high-fives from other people interested in cardio sports, come by our Tavern! The link is in my signature.  Of course, no matter which guild to which you are drawn I’ll be here to help you!

Let me know if I can do anything to help. If you feel discouraged or confused at any point during this Challenge I suggest you get in touch with myself or another Ambassador (regardless of guild!) before throwing in the towel. You have made a great choice coming to NF and we are here to help you succeed!

We have lots of great swimmers in the Scouts. I'll make sure to get one around here to meet you in the next few weeks. Great job doing your first mini-challenge with Blaidd!

• Like 1

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
STR: 9 - CON: 12 - DEX: 6 - STA: 10 - WIS: 16 - CHA: 11
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Ahoy, Aniticula! Good teh see an apprentice seawomen a-takin' her training so seriously!

Can't be a good pirate without bein' able teh handle fallin' in the drink...

Ye'll be a CutLass afore ye know it!

• Like 2

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

good job on writing up your smart goals!  I still need to work on mine.  On my to do list (but I am also a procrastinator). Just wanted to say Hi and keep up the good work.  You inspired me to get off my butt and do my strength workout for the day - You Rock!!!   Don't be too hard on yourself for unhealthy food choices, sometimes that leads to the guilt/shame cycle where you feel so bad you stuff your face and give up.  Just move and and look at what triggered it...were you reacting to an emotion and not really hungry.  I have started doing is asking myself - do I really, really, really, really, really want it? and how will I feel after I eat it?  Sometimes I really want it and go for it so I don't feel deprived.  Other times, I feel physically awful and tell myself that next time I won't eat it 'cause of how it made me feel.   Just Keep Swimming!   BTW, I love Dori!

• Like 1

Liser Frenche

Level 1 - STR : 1.3 | DEX : 1.5 | STA : 1.5 | CON : 1.5 | WIS : 0 | CHA : 0

Current Challenge  /Battle Log I   

Previous challenges:

1I  2  3 Epic Respawn

MFP username: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/liserfrenche

"Strive for Progress, Not Perfection"

Woot!! Less TV and more swimming!!  That's a good tradeoff.

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Good luck on things. My friend was a swim coach, and she always said she was healthiest when she was constantly swimming. She's way stronger than me now; the muscles she built up lingered! I think you can make this challenge particularly fun by learning new strokes and figuring out your favorite one.

Good on you too for trying to save money. I don't know if you're an investor much already, but I would recommend Ramit Sethi's blog I Will Teach You To Be Rich (the early entries) on setting up automatic savings systems. I also like Get Rich Slowly and The Simple Dollar, though the quality has wavered a bit. There are a huge number of financial blogs out there. I'm trying to save and earn more as well, so I'm in that boat with you--before you leap out to take a swim, that is.

• Like 1

Back at last.  The past two days have been really hectic.  I'm in Grad school and I had my final exams, I won't find out how I did on them for a few days, but at least they are over at last.  Even though I had my finals I did manage to workout both days.  I have missed on 40 minute swim I'm supposed to do (Wednesday I was supposed to lift weights and swim, but only had time to do the weights), but as long as I get it done before Sunday I'll still count it as a completed workout. The free weights were an interesting experience.  I wasn't sure how it would go. I picked a time of the day when I though there wouldn't be many people around, 1pm on a Wednesday, but there were still 5 or 6 people there.  I had called in to work so I could do my final that day, I wonder it they called in so they could lift weights, lol. I didn't manage to lift a lot, or for very long, and judging by the strange looks one person was giving me I figured out that I was sitting backwards on the bench with my feet where most people put their heads. That was a bit embarrassing.  Hopefully the person who used the bench before me wiped it down good! I managed to stay on target with my food.  I was very pleased with this as final exams usually mean tons of junk food and coke so that the sugar rush will get me though the exams. 

Today I went to my training session with my coach and even though I felt like I was having a bad day he told me I was actually doing really well and that he could see a lot of improvements.  He says my feet stay up when I swim now instead of almost dragging the bottom like they were before and that I'm getting faster (although I'm still very slow.) I didn't think the lesson went well because I'm still having issues putting everything together and I don't bring my arms up out of the water (which is what we focused on today). I know it's going to take time, but I wish I could just go ahead and figure out how to put it all together instead of getting myself so confused. Hopefully it'll start coming together this week. 

I'm planning to get back to the pool tonight to do my 40 minute swim from Wednesday, then Saturday I have to do the bike riding he assigned. I'm not getting close to meeting my quest 1 yet, but at least I'm doing well with 2 and 3. :)

Also, thanks for the encouragement everyone, it means a lot!

• Like 4

Level 6 Magikarp

You must be relieved now that finals are over.  :panda:

That's wonderful that your coach noticed improvements and gave you such encouraging feedback. It will start coming together in time - you'll be swimming like a fish before you know it. ;)

Happy swimming tonight! ^.^

• Like 1

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

Outstanding week!

First getting,through finals is a whole challenge in itself! You didn't stress eat. WIN

Second. Walking into the free weight part of the gym is very intimidating. You get points for just going in! Is your swim coach located at the same gym where the free weights are? Maybe they can give you a tour and some basic etiquette tips? If not ask the gym worker to do so. Keep going! I am impressed.

• Like 1

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

You must be relieved now that finals are over.  :panda:

That's wonderful that your coach noticed improvements and gave you such encouraging feedback. It will start coming together in time - you'll be swimming like a fish before you know it. ;)

Happy swimming tonight! ^.^

Oh yes, I'm so thrilled that finals are over.  I'm only taking online classes now as I work full time and it's so much more difficult than when I took in person classes and had an easier job.  My biggest thing is to just make sure I don't get any 'C's as if you get two they kick you out of the program.  I had a close call last semester as there was a class I simply could not understand no matter what I read, so it makes me really nervous about this semester. 

Level 6 Magikarp

Outstanding week!

First getting,through finals is a whole challenge in itself! You didn't stress eat. WIN

Second. Walking into the free weight part of the gym is very intimidating. You get points for just going in! Is your swim coach located at the same gym where the free weights are? Maybe they can give you a tour and some basic etiquette tips? If not ask the gym worker to do so. Keep going! I am impressed.

Yes, the gym has pretty much everything you can think of there, it's actually one of the biggest buildings in the area. They just expanded it to add a ton of new things, and bought land next door to add more stuff later.  If only they would expand the parking too! They have a very good staff, so I'll have to ask someone to walk me though everything next time.  The staff wears very distinctive shirts and walk through the building to see if people need help with anything, there just didn't happen to be one in that area until I was putting my weights up. My trainer did show me how to do everything ahead of time, he just wasn't there the day I went. I only officially meet with him once a week, but I have run into him there a few other times to ask questions when I was confused. 

• Like 1

Level 6 Magikarp

Congrats on surviving finals! And it sounds like you did it in true Nerd Fitness form. Bravo!

How much biking did he assign you to do?  I guess I never really would have linked biking with swimming training.... Learn something new all the time!

Level 5 Half-Orc Adventurer

STR 13 | DEX 4 | STA  2 | CON  13 | WIS 11 | CHA 8

Try Not. Do, or do not. There is no try. 

Challenges 1 2 3 4 Daily Battle Log    PVP: YAYOG

Anaticula, I love swimming! I'm still learning the breathing/arm/ head movement combo but put me on my back and I could spend as long as my legs can kick! I just started two months ago and even though it appears as if each initial practice is not much progress, by the end of a month you will have made significant progress! It's also really one of the best ways to technically be 'lying down' and still lose weight lol ( as u can see I'm not a fan of exercises I have to do on my feet :P)

Good luck with your swimming, I'm sure you will see the pounds just peel themselves off your bod!

Wow - NICE GYM!!  Is it a franchise or independent?

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Good luck Ana! I'll be following your challenge to cheer you on :)

And thanks for putting that link in about the diet levels! I dont want to try to change too many things at once, but I might keep that on the backburner for another challenge

Level 3 Half-elf Ninja

[Assassin-Monk hybrid]

STR: 2 || DEX: 3 || STA: 2 || CON: 2 || WIS: 5 || CHA: 4

"Shifting from lazy and geek to Sheik and Mystique"

Great first week! Be sure and check your Personal Messenger for some accountabilibuddy fun along with the CutLasses! (Upper right corner - envelope icon)

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Week One Recap:

Main Quest: Swim 250m with good form. I'm currently no where close to meeting this goal.  I have my work cut out for me and honestly this morning while doing my swim I began to question if I'll be able to achieve it or not because I'm still having trouble putting everything together.

Quest 1: Swim 100m with good form.  I am getting better at swimming, and I was able to do 100m without stopping this morning, but my from is still terrible.  My kicking is better, but I just can't seem to get breathing down.  And when I add in arm movements too I forget to breath at all. I'm wondering if I'll need to make this my main goal.  I dont want to give up on the 250, but I am questioning it. Going to give it two more weeks before I change anything though as I'm hoping it'll all come together soon.

Quest 2: Doing all tasks assigned by my trainer.  I think I've earned gold stars on this one this week.  I will admit there were a couple of days I have to move my training from one day to another, but I did everything he assigned, even when I wasn't sure if I would physically be able to.  I did have to cut the bicycling on Saturday from a full hour to only 25 minutes because of knee issues, but I stayed on 10 minutes past when I was ready to give up.  

Quest 3: Diet.  Not going well. I am logging everything, so I'm at least doing that part well.  And during the week I eat fine, but over the weekends I just get off track so badly and don't get it together.  I fit into the 'Army of One' group, my brother (we share an apartment) and his friends are always over and eating horrible over the weekend, which leads me to eat horrible.  Additionally the past three weekends I've been to parties, which leads me to eat even worse. Luckily yesterday was the last party I'm supposed to go to for a while, so I should be able to get it together now.  Additionally, my brother will be out of town this week which should help.  

Life Quest.  Doing okay.  Have a bit saved up and haven't spent it yet. I've not reached the full $1,000 I planned, but I should be there in another two to three weeks.  :)

As of right now, I'd say the thing I need to focus on most is diet.  Everything else will come together in time if I can just put down the pizza and coke.

• Like 2

Level 6 Magikarp

The weekend seems to be a problem for me.  Saturday was crazy, but I got everything I needed to done. I ate horribly as we had company. My brother's friend brought pizza and coke over and I had some.  I've no excuses, this was just me choosing to have it.  And so with that my drink less calories goal for the week failed. Now, I did cut out the drinking calories for the rest of the week, so I am doing better, but considering I must have drank half the two litter I'm not going to try to claim I still made my goal.  I goofed.  I know it. No excuse.  I just have to do better this week.  Sunday I went to a party, where I did manage to stay pretty healthy.  I turned down the coke, but did have two slices of pie instead of one.  I did pass up the cake that everyone else was having with the pie though, so not a total failure.  I can see now that eating on the weekends is going to be my biggest problem.  

Swimming, I can tell I'm doing better, though I do wonder if it is ever going to all come together.  I'm sure it will if I just keep practicing, but right now I can only focus on two things at a time.  I can either kick and breath, move my arms and breath, or kick and move my arms, I can't do all three.  Unfortunately as I keep focusing on kicking and moving my arms I keep forgetting to breath which is causing some difficulties.  :P 

Also, I got my grades back for the semester and I passed my classes. Yay! 

Congrats on surviving finals! And it sounds like you did it in true Nerd Fitness form. Bravo!

How much biking did he assign you to do?  I guess I never really would have linked biking with swimming training.... Learn something new all the time!

He assigned me to do an hour on the bike.  I only managed to do 25 minutes as I've some issues with my knee. (I fell off a horse and landed on my knee last summer and it still gives me problems sometimes.)  I don't think the bike actually has anything to do with swim training, I think he assigned that because he's already decided that I need to eventually complete a triathlon. 

Anaticula, I love swimming! I'm still learning the breathing/arm/ head movement combo but put me on my back and I could spend as long as my legs can kick! I just started two months ago and even though it appears as if each initial practice is not much progress, by the end of a month you will have made significant progress! It's also really one of the best ways to technically be 'lying down' and still lose weight lol ( as u can see I'm not a fan of exercises I have to do on my feet :tongue:)

Good luck with your swimming, I'm sure you will see the pounds just peel themselves off your bod!

Thanks BlackMamba, it's great to hear that it'll all come together eventually.  :) Once my coach pointed it out to me I noticed that my kicking has improved, I'll be so glad when I get the breathing figured out!

Wow - NICE GYM!!  Is it a franchise or independent?

It's independent.  If I remember correctly one of the owners used to manage a Gold's Gym, then partnered with the other two (a doctor and a dentist I think) to open their own establishment.  It's one of the best gyms I've ever seen. Pretty much anyone can work out here no matter what type of fitness you're into because it has everything. http://www.northcypress.com/ 

Good luck Ana! I'll be following your challenge to cheer you on :)

And thanks for putting that link in about the diet levels! I dont want to try to change too many things at once, but I might keep that on the backburner for another challenge

That's what I was thinking when I saw it.  This way instead of focusing on mot being able to eat anything I can concentrate on cutting one or two things at a time.  

Congrats on finishing exams!! How was your weekend?

The weekend was great, I got my exam scores back and passed everything and actually had time to play video games this weekend for the first time in two months.

Great first week! Be sure and check your Personal Messenger for some accountabilibuddy fun along with the CutLasses! (Upper right corner - envelope icon)

Saw the message, will be taking care of my mission next. :)

• Like 1

Level 6 Magikarp

Congratulations on your exams!

The swimming will come. It's sort of like what my guitar students go through learning to play and sing at the same time. We break things down into hands together, left hand/sing, right hand/sing. Sooner or later one of the three becomes automatic enough that the rest falls into place. It's just practice and patience and trusting the process until then, though. :)

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I'd been debating going to Camp Nerd Fitness for a month or two now and have finally decided to go.  It was seeing the picture of the ropes course that did it. I attended a summer camp as a teen that had a ropes course and it was so much fun even though I was terrified of heights. The picture of this one looks to be just as much fun.  I've put in for time off at work, and once I hear back if it has been approved I'm going to sign up for camp.  One of my bosses has approved me to take the time off, I just have to hear back from the other two.

• Like 3

Level 6 Magikarp

I'm excited for you that you are going to Camp NF.  I would love to go but I need more time to plan a trip like that and I just discovered NF a month or so ago. 

I used to drink Coke many moons ago and then I started to mix it with diet coke or coke zero.  Even when I went out i would ask them to top it off with diet and then gradually to top it off with real coke.  Now I only drink diet soda or Coke Zero and couldnt stand to drink any of the regular sugury stuff.  I know that I shouldnt drink the diet either since the fake sugar is, well, fake, and it still causes some sugary cravings.  But as a first step, it's a good one.  maybe give that a try?

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

I've tried diet coke before, but I'm not a fan.  Coke zero is much better tasting.  I think that you have a good idea as to how I could quit.  I also plan to buy some crystal lite and make that to keep in the fridge.  I think that having that as an option instead of just water will make me chose the coke less. I'm used to drinking well water which tastes great, and the city water I'm on now (I moved in Jan) just doesn't taste right so I don't like drinking it.

Level 6 Magikarp

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines