Anaticula, Just keep swimming

It takes a long while to get your form near-perfect in the swimming (it's like art, it will never be perfect).

You just have to take it a little bit at a time, and try not to psyche yourself out about it. I mean you did a whole continuous 100m! That's amazing!

Has your trainer introduced drills to you? These help refine components of your stroke and they can be really helpful if you feel you are having trouble with a particular part of a stroke. Drills break down the stroke so that you can focus on one part rather than all of the stroke at once. If you don't have time with your trainer to work on drills, you might try them out on your own. One for breathing practice is to stay at the wall with your arms fully outstretched, allowing your body to float out behind you. When you put your head in the water, breathe out of your mouth and nose for a count of three, then lift your head up to take a breath. Once you are comfortable with that timing pattern, you are going to add a head roll to your dominant side, so that you do not have to lift up your head. Instead of lifting up, you are going to roll your head so that your ear lays on your shoulder. You want your shoulder to roll with the motion so that you can get a clearer breath. Make sure that you take a breath through the corner of your mouth above the surface. It will be like a sipping motion so that you don't get the whole pool in your nose or mouth. Once you have your breath, roll your face back into the water and do your count exhale through mouth and nose. If you exhale through your nose, you keep it clear of water. If you exhale through both nose and mouth, you keep both potential airways relatively clear of water when you go to take a breath. When you feel comfortable with that, add in the arm movement. With your face in the water, move only your non-dominant arm at first in your stroke pattern. When you have counted to three/taken three strokes, roll your head to the side opposite your stroking arm while the stroking arm is at your side and not in front of you. Let the shoulder on which your head rests roll a bit too. Take your breath, then roll your face back into the water when your arm comes back out of the water, stretching for the wall.

If you want something with more movement than just on the wall: lay on the top of the water with one arm out in front of you with the other at your side. You want the ear on the side with the arm outstretched to be against your shoulder when you start. You will only be using your legs to propel you down the lane. Roll, so that your face is in the water, exhaling through your nose at the least. Count to three, then roll back on your outstretched shoulder so that you can take a breath with your mouth at the surface. On the way back down the lane, stretch your opposite arm out and try to breathe on that side.

• Like 1

STRENGTH (0) | DEXTERITY (-1) | CONSTITUTION (1) | WISDOM (3) | INTELLIGENCE (3) | CHARISMA (2)

Syren  -- Chaotic Good -- Human Druish Ranger -- Current Challenge -- Battle Log

Thanks Syren.  The drills he has me working on are to practice breathing while using the kickboard to go from one end of the pool to the other.  I'll give this a try tomorrow either before or after I finish what he has planned for me. I think this will help a lot as I haven't been practicing with focusing on just the breathing.

Current Challenge: Late start, but here at last.

Level 6 Magikarp

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5

My NF Character and Epic Quest!

I think your week 1 is really good. You're here and posting, and intention is half the battle. ^.^

Wishing you an excellent week 2!

I'm excited for you that you are going to Camp NF.  I would love to go but I need more time to plan a trip like that and I just discovered NF a month or so ago. 

Ditto!

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

Yesterday went well.  I did my swimming in the morning and ate fairly healthy for lunch.  After work I went to my mom's to help her clean.  She's having a party Thursday.  Yet another party I have to go to, but at least I know I'll be eating healthy at this one because I'm in charge of cooking for it. I was only able to exercise in the morning because by the time I got home, walked the dog (I sitting for a friend), and ate supper it was too late to do much else.  I did have a coke with supper.  However, the house is now coke free, so the rest of the week will be easy. I did my swimming this morning and practiced the breathing drill Syren suggested.  It is easier to focus on breathing correctly when that's all I'm focusing on, so I'm going to add this to my morning swim each day. I'm not going to be able to make it to rowing class tonight because I have to go grocery shopping, to the post office, then bake bread and the cake for the party Thursday.  I'm going to miss it though.  I never thought I would actually miss attending a work out, but I really enjoy the rowing class.  If I didn't have to get there an hour early to stand in line to sign up I could make it. The line starts building at 5, then we get to sign in at 5:30 then the class begins at 6.  As they only allow 12 students in class the line gets full fairly quickly. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way for me to still make it and do everything I have to do today. 

• Like 1

Level 6 Magikarp

I'm going to miss it though.  I never thought I would actually miss attending a work out, but I really enjoy the rowing class.  If I didn't have to get there an hour early to stand in line to sign up I could make it. The line starts building at 5, then we get to sign in at 5:30 then the class begins at 6.  As they only allow 12 students in class the line gets full fairly quickly. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way for me to still make it and do everything I have to do today. 

Wow - that's a new one on me.  Is that for EVERY class or just the first one of the series??

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

For every class.  It is a first come first serve program.  They didn't realize they would have as many people interested in rowing as they do, so they put the machines in a small room that could only hold 13 (12 for students, 1 for instructor). They put out a sign up sheet at 5:30 and the first 12 people to sign in get to attend.  Because it's so popular the line to wait for the sign up sheet starts at 5. They are now talking about knocking out a wall between two of the rooms out to double the classroom size. However, as it's a fairly new class they'll likely wait a couple of months to see if people are still interested in it or are only attending now because it's new.  You can use the machines outside of class if you want, you just don't have the trainer explaining what to do and pushing you to move faster. Most of the people taking the class regularly wish for now they would offer more classes scattered throughout the week.  If they did this then maybe there wouldn't be such a long line to sign up.  

• Like 1

Level 6 Magikarp

Keep up the good work!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] <--Current Challenge

Well, there are always bumps along the road.  I hope you're lucky - I can see other people giving up because of the inconvenience. 

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

The rest of the group is right - it may take a while to get to 250m, but you should focus on your success at 100m.  That is a big deal for someone who did not know how to swim until recently.  Cherish your success, and build on it slowly.  Now that you know you can swim, focus on your form.  Take it a step at a time.

Level 4 Ranger
STR 10 / DEX 6 / STA 6 / CON 8 / WIS 6 / CHA 5
Completed Challenges / PVP's: 
1 | 2 3 | 4 | YAYOG | 20-in-10

Current Challenges / PVP's: 5

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.  I really need it this week. I've been having a hard time keeping up with everything I have to do and exercising too.  Today I'm feeling very blah. I had fast food last night and now my body is hating me for it.  I'm also exhausted from everything I have going on this week. I'm pet sitting a friend's dog, doing extra work each day because of meetings and new student orientation going on this week, plus helping my mom throw this party. When my alarm went off at 4:40 this morning I wanted so bad to just go back to sleep.  I managed to drag myself out of bed and to the pool.  I felt a bit better after my swim, but now I'm at work and I want to go to sleep so bad. I'll be so glad when the weekend rolls around and I can catch up on my sleep. Think I'll be calling it an early night once Friday evening arrives and going to sleep at 5 pm.

• Like 1

Level 6 Magikarp

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.  I really need it this week. I've been having a hard time keeping up with everything I have to do and exercising too.  Today I'm feeling very blah. I had fast food last night and now my body is hating me for it.  I'm also exhausted from everything I have going on this week. I'm pet sitting a friend's dog, doing extra work each day because of meetings and new student orientation going on this week, plus helping my mom throw this party. When my alarm went off at 4:40 this morning I wanted so bad to just go back to sleep.  I managed to drag myself out of bed and to the pool.  I felt a bit better after my swim, but now I'm at work and I want to go to sleep so bad. I'll be so glad when the weekend rolls around and I can catch up on my sleep. Think I'll be calling it an early night once Friday evening arrives and going to sleep at 5 pm.

You can do it.  Sleep is certainly important but don't give up.  Just keep thinking how amazing you'll feel next week when the schedule goes back to normal (hopefully) and you stuck with your goals and stayed active. 

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

So proud of you for still getting out of bed to work out; that in itself is an accomplishment! And it's already Wednesday =] You've been doing really well, so don't beat yourself up over the fast food. I think you'll feel much better after catching up on sleep, so you've got that to look forward to!

Level: 2  Race: Wood Elf  Profession: Adventurer

| STR 3 | DEX 0 | STA 3 | CON 3.3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3 |

Twitter | YouFood: RaskolRebel

Just read over your thread as a fellow newbie swimmer, and I'm impressed with the dedication to your goals, great work so far! I second what LadyShello and JaimeLiz have said up there, you are still going despite the extra stresses and that should not be underestimated.

Also to put your other achievements into perspective I was in exactly the same position as you at the start of my first challenge (now 8 weeks ago) flailing about in the pool without knowing what I was doing and I am only now at the stage where I can do 100m continuous freestyle with decent form.

I also speak from recent experience when I say it will definitely begin to click, for me when I got the breathing aspect down everything else started falling in place, so hang in there and...just keep swimming....

Reading your exploits has inspired me to push myself harder in the pool tommorrow.

Onwards!

• Like 1

Level: 3 - Wood Elf - Wanderer

STR: 0 | DEX: 5 | STA: 11 | CON: 5 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 2

Challenges: 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | Current

"Quit...don't quit...noodles...don't noodles. You are too concerned with what was, and what will be"

- Master Oogway

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. ^.^

You should be so proud of yourself for getting out of bed though! I'm impressed with your dedication. That takes a lot of effort.

So yesterday was a disaster for me.  The meeting was long and boring and they put baskets of chocolate in front of us.  I ate it, and logged what I ate, and wow do the calories add up fast. On the plus side, logging calories did make me push the basket aside several times, but then the meeting went on and on and I had 'just one more piece' because I was bored.  That added with the fact that I didn't swim made me go over my goal for the day. The good news though: last night's party is the last party I will attend for a while, my friend's dog is going home tomorrow, I've a meeting with my boss today, but once it's over things should get back to normal for a while and allow me to focus on eating healthy instead of how stressed I am. One good thing that happened this week: I finally weighed myself, and because I ate crap all week I weight the same; however, I also checked my body fat with the handheld thing the gym has and my fat has gone down by 1%. So, even though I screwed up this week I didn't gain, and I still lost body fat.  Plus my swimming is getting a little better. :) Next week I hope to lose weight too as I'll be able to better focus on making good choices.

Edit: I did the math, and at my weight going down 1% body fat means I lost 3 lbs of fat and gained 3 lbs of muscle.

• Like 2

Level 6 Magikarp

Disaster days happen to all of us. The title of your challenge says it all, "Just Keep Swimming." You are doing great!

I have a lot the same thing go on with my weight. The scale stays the same a lot, but the body fat is coming down steadily, with my overall weight dropping at a slower pace. That said, my BF% has dropped 14% in a little over a year, with most of that happening in the last 5 months since I stopped drinking soda. You're smart to be tracking the body fat loss. Some people don't and they get discouraged, even though they are making progress and doing great things for their health.

Water taste issues with tap water - my city water tastes (and smells!) pretty funky, too. I use a Britta filter and that takes care of it. They are reasonably priced and I have some peace of mind about nasty stuff in the water.

Keep up the good work! You know the stress will ease off soon and it will be so much easier to eat right then!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I'll pick up a Britta filter and see if that helps.  I'll admit I'll be very glad when I see a drop in my weight too, but I've read lots of posts here about people gaining instead of losing due to muscles and decided to check that too.  Very glad I did otherwise I'd have left the gym disappointed. I'm also glad that I'll be going back to rowing class on Tuesday.  I'm thinking about seeing if I can do both the Tuesday and Thursday class.

Everything is going much better today now that I've all the work and family stuff out of the way.  The dog I'm keeping an eye on goes home tomorrow too, so even though walking her didn't take much time I'll be glad she's gone mostly because I won't be worried about my cats sending her into a panic attack any longer.  Poor dog is terrified of Noodle, who naturally being an ass, is going out of his way to torment her.  They've not actually attacked one another yet, but Noodle is seeing how far he can push her.  He likes to wait until she is relaxed then go sit right next to her and stick his nose as close to her as he can without touching her when she moves away from him he follows her and does it again. He also tries to lick her teeth whenever she eats or drinks. 

• Like 2

Level 6 Magikarp

Edit: I did the math, and at my weight going down 1% body fat means I lost 3 lbs of fat and gained 3 lbs of muscle.

The great news is that muscle takes up MUCH less room than fat, so you are probably dropping inches too!  I'm really impressed with your hard work on the swimming, it takes perseverance and courage.  Wishing you a great weekend!

"I don't guarantee my voice - why would I?  But I promise to tell my story."

-- Johanna Gleason

Sounds like you're doing great overall! Don't let it get you down when you don't do as well as you want to - let it serve as encouragement to do even better the next time :) It's exciting to hear you've already dropped some body fat - you should try measuring your waist and hips every now and then if you want to watch those inches fall away with the fat!

Level 3 Half-elf Ninja

[Assassin-Monk hybrid]

STR: 2 || DEX: 3 || STA: 2 || CON: 2 || WIS: 5 || CHA: 4

"Shifting from lazy and geek to Sheik and Mystique"

That's *fantastic*. :panda:

You are doing great! Don't let a 'slip' here or there get you down. We all have them; it's how we bounce back from them and keep going that counts. ^.^

Congrats on the 1%!!!!  The scale or the tape usually moves .... it's just hard to know which one will flinch first!!! 

Work on eating well.  Much of the battle is won in the kitchen (or when ordering, because we KNOW that's gonna happen when we're busy).  Not that exercise isn't important, but if you have to pick one and let the other slide, food usually has the greater impact.  Usually. 

Some sort of Jedi .....

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines