Anaticula, Just keep swimming

I love to hike.  Not only is it fun, but it burns more calories than almost any other exercise you can think of.  The elevation gain adds some extra effort over walking, and I can hike for hours if I have the time, but I can't do many other exercises for 3-5 hours.  I hope you had fun on the trail.

Level 4 Ranger
STR 10 / DEX 6 / STA 6 / CON 8 / WIS 6 / CHA 5
Completed Challenges / PVP's: 
1 | 2 3 | 4 | YAYOG | 20-in-10

Current Challenges / PVP's: 5

I think one of the biggest things I like about yoga (and alot of fitness things I have started enjoying in groups) is that the only person your competing with is you. And everyone wants to see you do the best you can.

Im glad you've found such a supportive group.

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] <--Current Challenge

Yoga was pretty neat.  I was a bit tired after swimming for an hour, but still made it to class.  It's amazing how something that is basically just stretching and balancing can be so difficult! The instructor did all the moves with us, so she didn't really focus on calling out people to correct form, but she always showed us several modifications of each position, which I liked as there were a couple of moves I simply wasn't flexible enough to do. I also liked that we all got to just lay on the floor and breath for five minutes towards the end of class while she lead us in a relaxation meditation.  Too bad we can't all lay on the floor and rest after the rowing class! Another thing I liked was that several of my class mates came over to talk to me after class.  I was the only new person and having them ask if I had enjoyed the class after was nice.  We were joking around about how some of the positions are very easy to lose your balance in, and they commented that there is usually someone who falls over ever few classes, even students who have been practicing for a couple years fall sometimes, so that if I do fall it's not a big deal. That made me feel better as I came pretty close to falling over a few times.

I'm glad you enjoyed your yoga class so much! I've been doing yoga for many years and I still fall over from time to time - so don't worry about doing it yourself...it's okay to fall. Not everyone's balance is perfect all the time. ;)

Signed up to run/walk (mostly walk) a 5k next Saturday.  I have a week to prepare for it.  It is the Zoo Zoom at the Baton Rouge Zoo. I was trying to find something to do next weekend and decided to go ahead and give it a try. It'll be the first time I've ever entered a 5k.  I'm looking forward to it.

Hey, that's awesome! Good for you!! :panda:

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

Ahoy, Anaticula! Congratulations to ye on yer levelling up teh being a full-fledged CutLass aboard the Queen o' Swords! Ye'll be assisting me as we continue on our voyage.

An' look sharp! A mini-challenge will be posted on the thread tomorrow. As soon as everyone has their new assignments we will be a-heading up the river with more speed!

These changes mean we have some more room aboard the ships, as well, so be on the lookout fer likely lasses that we can take on as apprentices.

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Quick post as I've a crazy work day. Meetings all day. Swam this morning, yay! Official weigh in with coach, down three pounds, double yay! Hiking tomorrow, triple yay! Fell asleep when I got home from work yesterday and missed rowing, but at least I got my swim done in the morning. See you all tomorrow, hope everyone has a great day!

• Like 3

Current Challenge: Late start, but here at last.

Level 6 Magikarp

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5

My NF Character and Epic Quest!

Quick post as I've a crazy work day. Meetings all day. Swam this morning, yay! Official weigh in with coach, down three pounds, double yay! Hiking tomorrow, triple yay! Fell asleep when I got home from work yesterday and missed rowing, but at least I got my swim done in the morning. See you all tomorrow, hope everyone has a great day!

Yey for down three pounds! That's awesome!

I love how positive you sound in your posts. Makes me happy :D Keep up the good work, dude!

Jazzy

Fox Demon

Level 3

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 6 | CHA 1

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Spread Sheet

Lvl: 1 |

No Soda PVP - 367/365 days Soda free Starting: 08/30/14 

100%
100%

I'm really glad you enjoyed your yoga class!  I miss mine. :( I moved away from the studio I was going to and have yet to find another.  What I love about yoga is the calming effects the entire session has on me and I know that if I can't do a pose perfectly it's ok and I should just do the best I can for my body.  Plus stretching + strength is awesome. 

Keep up the swimming! Sounds like you're doing great and congrats on the weight loss! :)  Excellent week! 

Level 5 Half-Orc Adventurer

STR 13 | DEX 4 | STA  2 | CON  13 | WIS 11 | CHA 8

Try Not. Do, or do not. There is no try. 

Challenges 1 2 3 4 Daily Battle Log    PVP: YAYOG

Great job on the weight loss - and you're really booking it with the exercise.  Way to go!!!  Nice that the exercise is having a good benefit on your sleeping as well.  ;-)

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Congratulations on your weight loss!! :panda:

And I'm going hiking tomorrow, too! Look forward to reading about your trip. ^.^

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

The 5K is next Saturday.  Yesterday I went hiking at Clark Creek Natural Area in Pond Mississippi. It was extremely challenging, but very fun. :) Granted today I am sore from the trip as it was much more challenging than anything I have done in a long while.

The trail is about a two and a half hour drive from where I live, so I left home at 5:30.  It gets very hot here pretty early in the day, so I wanted to arrive as early as possible and get started before things got to hot.  According to the map the trail is about a two hour hike (ha).  I arrived at 8 am, and was the second car there. From the parking lot to the actual trail is a half a mile gravel trail.  Once you get to the start of the trail you have three options.  #1 - A gravel trail that takes you to a few of the waterfalls. #2 - Follow the creek bed. #3 The primitive trail. I chose to follow the creek bed thinking it wouldn't be too difficult.

I can't figure out how to put the photos behind spoiler tags and I don't want it to take forever for the page to load, so I'm only going to include a few images.

The creek bed starts of fairly smooth and sandy.  It is fairly easy going and very peaceful. The first waterfall is easy to reach. To the side of the fall is a staircase where you can climb down to the bottom.  

waterfall%2Bone.jpg

The path to the second fall starts off just as easy, but after climbing down the stairs it gets more difficult.  Now there are boulders you have to climb over and around.  It took me a while, but I finally made it to the base of the second fall.  There were other people around this one, so I couldn't get a photo of just the waterfall.

waterfall%2Btwo.jpg

The path now alternates between difficult and easy as some places require you to climb over boulders and other are smooth and sandy.  Eventually the river splits.  You can walk upstream to waterfall 3 or downstream to 4, 5, & 6.  I headed upstream to three. Things are now very difficult.  The rocks are taller than I am in many places, and I have to wedge myself against one rock while reaching for another with one foot, then slowly try to move to the second rock without slipping.  The rocks are slick and parts of the river bed are now clay.  The water between the rocks ranges from just a few inches to several feet, so you have to be very careful.  I slipped a few times and luckily managed to catch myself without getting hurt, but finally made it to waterfall number three.  At number three I ran into some more people and they mentioned that a couple people had broken legs trying to make it to number three.

slippery%2Brocks.jpg

Me at waterfall three

me%2Bat%2Bfall%2Bthree.jpg

I now had to go back through that area in the opposite direction.  It wasn't any easier. In fact, now it was kind of scary as I was hiking alone and had stories of broken legs in my head.  Eventually I made it back to the split.  I debated going back upstream and calling it a day before I hurt myself, but I really wanted to see the rest of the falls, so I crossed my fingers I wouldn't kill myself and carried on.  The river was actually kind of easy for the next half mile.  Eventually it split again.  One path led to number four the other to five and six.  I headed to number four, but after a quarter of a mile or so ran into a chain across the creek bed warning people not to pass as the land was private property.  Disappointed I turned back. I now headed to five and six.  The creek seemed easy going for a while until I came across a tree blocking the whole path.  There was no path around it at all and I wasn't brave enough to attempt going around it through the woods. So I found an opening and crawled under it. Luckily there were no spiders or snakes waiting for me. 

road%2Bblock.jpg

The path once again was smooth for a while.  Eventually I made it to waterfall five.  Or rather where waterfall five was supposed to be.  It had dried up and evidently only works during the spring when the creek is high. Disappointed I debated once more turning back.  After all if five wasn't there, would six be? I knew that the creek would lead back to the primitive trail which would take me to the parking lot if I continued, so I decided to see how I felt once I made it there. The land around me became very steep and slick, with the creek sides leveling off near my head.  I had no way to get out of the creek and had to wade now.

very%2Bslippery.jpg

Eventually I made it to the area where the trail split.  I decided to keep going.  After all it was only another half mile to fall six and I had already come so far.  The ground became rough again, but after a long while I finally made it to fall number six, which was a double waterfall and very pretty.

double%2Bwaterfall.jpg

double.jpg

Then I turned around and headed back down the creek to where it met the trail.  To get to the trail you had to climb the steepest staircase I have ever seen.  In order to even get on the staircase I had to climb on my hands and knees because it was too steep to simply step up.  Eventually a made it to the top.  Now I had a mile and a half hike back to the parking lot.  The path was still very steep practically going straight up and down in some spots.  I confess I sat down and slid in a few areas because it was too steep for me to walk down. As the trail joined with the more frequently used areas it did become a little easier and began to have stair cases in the worst spots.  I ended up making it back to my car 5 and a half hours after I started.  (Much longer than the two hours it is supposed to take, :P ) When I checked my pedometer it said I had walked, climbed, slid, and crawled a total of five miles.  Today I am exhausted, sore, and a little bruised, but still happy with how my hiking trip went. 

• Like 4

Level 6 Magikarp

To post something in a spoiler tag hit the Special BBCode button next to font and select spoiler from the drop down menu. Then past the image URL in the box provided.

Awesome job with the hike, and great pictures. Keep it up!

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

T2SarahConner, It's one of the posts at the Nerd Fitness Academy, https://academy.nerdfitness.com/level-up/nutrition/diet-level-up/ He explains everything in great detail there, but here are the basics on what you have to do to move to the next level:

Level 1: Track everything you eat honestly for a week. Once you've done this move to Level 2. I've just finished this.

Level 2: Minimize liquid calories. Two weeks drinking less calories.  This is where I'm at now and it's difficult.  I cut out soda two weeks ago and only had one drink of coke sense then (I was at a party and drank it before thinking). But I love orange juice and smoothies, so I'm focusing on cutting them out now.

Level 3: No more grains at breakfast for two weeks. Not a problem for me as I don't do this anyways. Will skip to level 4.

Level 4: Vegetable with lunch or dinner 10 days out of two weeks.

Level 5: No pasta or bread 12 of 14 days, vegetables with lunch and dinner.

Level 6: Vegetable with every meal, no bread or pasta at all for two weeks.

Level 7: No legumes or dairy 12 of 14 days. 

Level 8: 12 of 14 days with no rice.  This will be really difficult as I live in Louisiana and we eat everything with rice. 

Level 9: Body fat less than 18%. Not going to happen any time soon as I'm currently at 48%

Level 10: No fruit and sweet potatoes only while training.

Giving each level the two weeks (except for level 3, as I don't have grains for breakfast anyways) I should be able to finish level 5 and start level six at the end of the challenge.  I'll need to change my scoring for that quest. 

You could try making smoothies and juices at home fresh. 

You can actually make meal replacement smoothies with protein powder, fruit, lemon, and some yogurt (ones that are actually good for you). That may help the transition?

keep up the awesome swimming work. I tried maybe twice to improve my swimming form. Stopped after I drank enough water to fill a bucket....

• Like 1

That sounds like a treacherous hike for sure.  Congrats on surviving with no broken bones. 

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

Beautiful pictures. Glad you made it back safe and sound, and hope that your soreness is going away!

I added the .25 bonus multiplier for rough terrain to your distance on the CutLasses spreadsheet!

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I made it to the pool and swam for an hour and a half Sunday morning hoping it would ease my legs, but it didn't, so I spent most the rest of the day trying to stay off my sore legs.  Went to my D&D group where we played cards against humanity as no one has an idea of what game to start next. It was good to just have a day of taking it easy.  Yesterday I tried to get back in the swing of things, but was still very sore.  I made it to the pool at 5 am like normal even though my legs hated me for it. Luckily the rest of the day was spent in meetings instead of running around preparing the library for the new semester.  Today I am much less sore, but itchy due to a mosquito getting in the house.  I liked the soreness better! Swimming went well this morning, but I have rowing tonight, so tomorrow I'll likely be sore again. Hopefully the yoga class I'll be attending tomorrow night will get me back to normal again!  I'm excited and nervous about the 5K this Saturday.  The excited part of me knows that after hiking 5 miles over rough ground last weekend walking on pavement should be easy, but the nervous part of me keeps saying 'do I really want to do this?' and 'can I actually do this?' This Saturday is a big one for me because it's something I've never done before and never though I could do. 

Also, over one week without soda now. :) 

• Like 2

Level 6 Magikarp

Just bought my Camp Nerd Fitness and plane tickets.  Looking forward to going. This is what I spent my savings money on.  I know I don't technically need it, but I seriously want to go and I'll have the money back in savings in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 6

Level 6 Magikarp

Just bought my Camp Nerd Fitness and plane tickets.  Looking forward to going. This is what I spent my savings money on.  I know I don't technically need it, but I seriously want to go and I'll have the money back in savings in a couple of weeks. 

Woohoo - Way to go! You should have great fun. We'll want to hear all about it!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines