Anaticula, Just keep swimming

Home at last, and my feet hurt, but I'm already planing to enter another one to see if I can finish in under an hour next time. :) I posted all the 5K photos on my blog, but here are the highlights. 

Map of the run/walk.

IMG_2999.JPG

Me before the walk.

IMG_3002.jpg

and my time across the line.

IMG_3014.JPG

• Like 4

Current Challenge: Late start, but here at last.

Level 6 Magikarp

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5

My NF Character and Epic Quest!

As a college student, my first thoughts on bikes are - buy a cheap bike & an expensive lock! But depending on where you live, you may not need to lock it up at all :) Happy biking!

• Like 1

Level 3 Half-elf Ninja

[Assassin-Monk hybrid]

STR: 2 || DEX: 3 || STA: 2 || CON: 2 || WIS: 5 || CHA: 4

"Shifting from lazy and geek to Sheik and Mystique"

Yay for the bike - you're on your way to those future  triathlons!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I had some difficulty getting my bike attached to my car to get it home, but it's because the bike rack is made for a different type of bike than I have.  It does work though, and I made it home fine.  I managed to ride it around a little bit, but as I had family stuff yesterday and some friend activities planned I didn't get to do much more than circle the block.  I have to run some errands tonight, but I'm hoping to bike a little further this evening. I'm keeping my bike in my apartment at night as it's safer that way.  Some of my neighbors can be jerks, so I wouldn't put it past them to remove the seat or something as a 'joke'. They like to constantly take all the outside chairs and stack them in the fountain and break beer bottles on people's doorsteps. But I'm hoping they'll move soon as it's only one apartment who does this. At any rate, I'm excited about using my new bike.  This week is going to be different training wise because my coach has me doing more walking than swimming this week.  I'm not a fan of treadmills and I don't want to walk at 5 am in my neighborhood, so I'm going to have to figure out what to do about that.  I'll likely go ahead and keep swimming in the morning and then do the walking in the evening even though it'll be much hotter then. Hopefully next week he'll have me back to focusing on swimming.

Pics of my bike.  I wasn't sure if I hooked the rack onto the car correctly, but even though it looked off it worked...

photo%2B1.JPG

I took it to my mom's and rode it around a bit there while we were having our family get together. You can see it better here.

photo%2B2.JPG

The basket has a pull closed top, and I'm so tempted to stuff one of my cats in the basket and make him go for a ride with me. The pull closed top would mean he couldn't get out, but I think it might scare him too much to make it worth it.

Also, I catch myself humming the wicked witch of the west tune from the wizard of oz while I ride...is that normal?

• Like 1

Level 6 Magikarp

Love the bike and its color!

Also, I catch myself humming the wicked witch of the west tune from the wizard of oz while I ride...is that normal?

Totally... *wicked cackle*

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Went for a short ride yesterday when I got home from work.  Just to the small park nearby. I rode around the park once, then as it looked like it was going to rain I headed on home.  

Did swimming this morning even though it wasn't on my schedule.  My trainer's plan for me today is a 40 minute bike ride.  I wasn't sure if I'd get to it or not as I wanted to attend rowing class this evening and won't have time to do both.  I ran into him on my way out of the gym and he asked me if I was planning to attend rowing.  I mentioned that I wasn't sure and explained my dilemma.  He said if I have to choose one to go with the bike ride. So that'll be what I do this evening.  I'll make sure that next week he schedules me for rowing and swimming on Tuesday, and saved the bike riding for a different day. 

Tonight I will also get at least one set for the week of my CutLass challenge exercises in.

Still doing great with the no soda.   :) Now I'm going to start focusing on other diet habits.  I't too late for me to hit my quest diet goal all the way, so I'm just going to focus on eating healthier, putting down my fork when I'm full, and continuing to stay away from the soda.

Also, going to see if I can get Noodle to go for a ride on the bike with me this afternoon.  Maybe if I bring his leash and let him out at the park he'll tolerate riding in the basket. If not, well this will make us even for him knocking a half full cup of lemonade on me in the middle of the night.  <_< Although it's really my fault.  I shouldn't have left the glass on the shelf above the bed as I know he is obsessed with lemonade and will hunt it down to drink wherever he can find it.

• Like 3

Level 6 Magikarp

Still doing great with the no soda.   :) Now I'm going to start focusing on other diet habits.  I't too late for me to hit my quest diet goal all the way, so I'm just going to focus on eating healthier, putting down my fork when I'm full, and continuing to stay away from the soda.

Congrats, that's awesome! I remember when I gave up soda - that was no easy feat. You're doing great! :panda:

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

Hello there!  I was just pointed to your challenge.  It sounds awesome!  My first run/walk 5K with a friend was 1:20...but we finished it.  That was over a year ago.  I love to run and to bike.  In fact I bike to work and am working toward my first half marathon and hoping to finish around 3 hours.  Slow and steady.  

Love your bike by the way.  I am always perplexed by those carriers as well.  If it stays on, is undamaged, and I got it to where I want to go okay then its all good.  Tricked my own bike out with a basket in front and a crate on back to haul my stuff around.  LOL  Usually I do not need the front basket other then when it is dark out since I had to attach my main light to it.  My cats would claw me if I tried to stuff one in the basket!  Now that would be a short painful ride....

Okay your comment about Dory and "just keep swimming" often rolls through my head too.  That is AWESOME!  I end up smiling when I realize that I turned to it for motivation/mantra.  I love swimming too but my strokes are terrible.  That is something I want to work on also.  I have loved reading through your efforts and wish I had found this sooner.  I am certainly cheering you on now!

Giving up soda is tough.  We manage it for months and then go through 2 weeks and down a couple 2-liters and then no soda again for a couple months.  

Keep at it!

• Like 2

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

So I tried to see if either cat would go for a ride in the basket, but they refused. Jasper braced his feet on the side and wouldn't even let me try to put him in.  Noodle went in but then jumped out, then in, then out, and so on for a while, so there is a possibility that if I put treats in the basket he'll get used to it, then let me take him out one day. 

Still haven't had any soda. :)

I took my bike out for a ride yesterday at a slightly bigger park.  My town has three nice parks. A small one near where I live that is only one block big, and medium one about a 1/4 mile from my house with sidewalks, ducks, a children's train, and a large pond, and a large park about a mile away with a mile long running road (no cars allowed) a small pond, a water area for kids, a play ground, four baseball fields, and three out door gym areas. I wasn't sure if I'd make it all the way to the big one, around the trail then back home, so I decided on the middle one yesterday.  It was nice. The sidewalks are bumpy and there are several areas you had to go off path because of low tree limbs, but having the ducks follow me in the pond while I rode by was nice. I also ran into a former co-worker I hadn't seen in like ten years and chatted for a couple of minutes before his granddaughter drug him away to push her on the swings. Not counting the time I stopped to talk, I rode for about 40 minutes.  It took five minutes to get there and back, and a circle of the park took ten minutes each. I ended up riding nearly three miles over all and had a great time.  My knees are sore this morning, but if they are feeling a little better later I'm going to try to do it again this evening before I head to my yoga class.

Photos of the park. It was too big to get the whole park in two photos, but this is an idea of what it looks like.

park%2B1.jpg

park%2B2.jpg

This morning I went for my swim as usual and ran into another former co-worker at the gym. She was one of my student employees when I worked at the other university and now that she's graduated she teaches elementary school.  It was good to catch up with her.  When I got home from the gym I had to do at least some of my CutLass Pirate workout.  I had managed to do the 3 sets of 10 push ups off the counter top, I'm not yet up to regular push ups.  I attempted to do a plank and fell on my knees. Tonight I'll try again with a pillow to pad my fall. I don't have weights at home, so I was going to skip out on the dumbbell rows, but then I remembered all the posts ItsDaniel and cn3wton have made about using what you have for weights and used the unopened cat litter bucket as a weight.  So I managed to do ten of those. I've only one bucket of cat litter that's full though so I'll have to do the lateral dumbbell thing at the gym tonight. 

So far this week has been going very nicely. :)

Almost forgot, there is a triathlon coming up at the end of September I'm thinking of signing up for.  Its a women's only 300 meter indoor swim, a 10 mile bike ride, and a 2 mile run. The day before the guys do the same triathlon. I'm going to see how the rest of my week goes, and sign up on payday if I think I'll be able to do it.

• Like 5

Level 6 Magikarp

So I tried to see if either cat would go for a ride in the basket, but they refused. Jasper braced his feet on the side and wouldn't even let me try to put him in.  Noodle went in but then jumped out, then in, then out, and so on for a while, so there is a possibility that if I put treats in the basket he'll get used to it, then let me take him out one day. 

Still haven't had any soda. :)

I took my bike out for a ride yesterday at a slightly bigger park.  My town has three nice parks. A small one near where I live that is only one block big, and medium one about a 1/4 mile from my house with sidewalks, ducks, a children's train, and a large pond, and a large park about a mile away with a mile long running road (no cars allowed) a small pond, a water area for kids, a play ground, four baseball fields, and three out door gym areas. I wasn't sure if I'd make it all the way to the big one, around the trail then back home, so I decided on the middle one yesterday.  It was nice. The sidewalks are bumpy and there are several areas you had to go off path because of low tree limbs, but having the ducks follow me in the pond while I rode by was nice. I also ran into a former co-worker I hadn't seen in like ten years and chatted for a couple of minutes before his granddaughter drug him away to push her on the swings. Not counting the time I stopped to talk, I rode for about 40 minutes.  It took five minutes to get there and back, and a circle of the park took ten minutes each. I ended up riding nearly three miles over all and had a great time.  My knees are sore this morning, but if they are feeling a little better later I'm going to try to do it again this evening before I head to my yoga class.

Photos of the park. It was too big to get the whole park in two photos, but this is an idea of what it looks like.

park%2B1.jpg

park%2B2.jpg

This morning I went for my swim as usual and ran into another former co-worker at the gym. She was one of my student employees when I worked at the other university and now that she's graduated she teaches elementary school.  It was good to catch up with her.  When I got home from the gym I had to do at least some of my CutLass Pirate workout.  I had managed to do the 3 sets of 10 push ups off the counter top, I'm not yet up to regular push ups.  I attempted to do a plank and fell on my knees. Tonight I'll try again with a pillow to pad my fall. I don't have weights at home, so I was going to skip out on the dumbbell rows, but then I remembered all the posts ItsDaniel and cn3wton have made about using what you have for weights and used the unopened cat litter bucket as a weight.  So I managed to do ten of those. I've only one bucket of cat litter that's full though so I'll have to do the lateral dumbbell thing at the gym tonight. 

So far this week has been going very nicely. :)

Almost forgot, there is a triathlon coming up at the end of September I'm thinking of signing up for.  Its a women's only 300 meter indoor swim, a 10 mile bike ride, and a 2 mile run. The day before the guys do the same triathlon. I'm going to see how the rest of my week goes, and sign up on payday if I think I'll be able to do it.

Glad to see your getting your exercises in and not letting excuses like "not having the equipment" get in your way! It is so awesome that you are out and doing things like riding your bike, and even better that you are getting back in touch with people. Exercise should be fun, and you are doing it right!

Keep up the awesome work.

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Currently Posting in -->Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] 

Sounds fantastic.  Kitty litter pails are so handy.  We turned some into paniers for our bikes.  Rarely use them but the tight fitting lid is nice.  Really  a triathalon?  You should go for it!  Push ups have taken me a while too.  Counter then worked my way to using stairs to my knees and now I can do them.  Not easy but do able.  It is great fun as your planks get better and they will certainly improve.  I love how you are finding ways to make sure you are able to do things and not letting them stop you.

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Finished me 5k in 1:06. I was third to last. Beat a couple and their three year old. :tongue:

Will post pics when I get home tonight.

Congrats on the 5k! Way to kick that couple's and their 3 yr old's butt.  

I had some difficulty getting my bike attached to my car to get it home, but it's because the bike rack is made for a different type of bike than I have.  It does work though, and I made it home fine.  I managed to ride it around a little bit, but as I had family stuff yesterday and some friend activities planned I didn't get to do much more than circle the block.  I have to run some errands tonight, but I'm hoping to bike a little further this evening. I'm keeping my bike in my apartment at night as it's safer that way.  Some of my neighbors can be jerks, so I wouldn't put it past them to remove the seat or something as a 'joke'. They like to constantly take all the outside chairs and stack them in the fountain and break beer bottles on people's doorsteps. But I'm hoping they'll move soon as it's only one apartment who does this. At any rate, I'm excited about using my new bike.  This week is going to be different training wise because my coach has me doing more walking than swimming this week.  I'm not a fan of treadmills and I don't want to walk at 5 am in my neighborhood, so I'm going to have to figure out what to do about that.  I'll likely go ahead and keep swimming in the morning and then do the walking in the evening even though it'll be much hotter then. Hopefully next week he'll have me back to focusing on swimming.

Pics of my bike.  I wasn't sure if I hooked the rack onto the car correctly, but even though it looked off it worked...

photo%2B1.JPG

I took it to my mom's and rode it around a bit there while we were having our family get together. You can see it better here.

photo%2B2.JPG

The basket has a pull closed top, and I'm so tempted to stuff one of my cats in the basket and make him go for a ride with me. The pull closed top would mean he couldn't get out, but I think it might scare him too much to make it worth it.

That bike is fantastic. I can't blame you for humming that. 

After your kitty gets used to the basket, I'd recommend looking at a small harness seatbelt like they have for little dogs. Maybe you could attach it to the handle bars. Just in case he forgets he's cool with the basket and decides to freak out. 

Half Elf, 28.6 lbs overweight, average height, voluptuous, low muscle mass, bad ass mother f*cker

Current Challenge  Fourth Challenge Third Challenge Second Challenge First Challenge  My Long List of Goals 

Level 5

STR: 5STA: 4, DEX: 7, CON: 9, WIS: 13CHA: 8

Weight Goal: 2/43.6

1%
1%

â€œAnd the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom†-- Anaïs Nin

Website      Instagram 

The park looks nice.  I like that you have so much variety in your exercise -- swimming, bike, rowing, etc.  I try to do that, too, because doing the same workout over and over bores me.  Good work on the soda, too.

Level 4 Ranger
STR 10 / DEX 6 / STA 6 / CON 8 / WIS 6 / CHA 5
Completed Challenges / PVP's: 
1 | 2 3 | 4 | YAYOG | 20-in-10

Current Challenges / PVP's: 5

W00t w00t!! That would be awesome, Anaticula!! Your biggest fan right here will be cheering you on!! :panda:

• Like 4

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

So this morning I decided to see how far I could swim without stopping. Decided to not focus on form or anything but to just see how far I could go. I made it to 100 easy, then 250, then struggling a bit 500.  I decided to keep going even though I was getting tired and managed 750, then decided to shoot for 1000 just to see if I could make it a full 50 laps without stopping and I did. Yay! Then I swam one more just in case I messed up counting.  Best day of swimming I've ever done.  I actually ended up crying in the car on the way home because I was so happy that I could actually do it. :) Then went I went to log my swim in for the day on my tracker I saw that my trainer tracks my lessons in yards not meters.  Added it up and if I had done just one more lap I would have hit 1K. :lol: So now my goal is to swim the full 1K this weekend without stopping. :tongue:

In other news, still staying away from the soda. :) Yoga was fun last night.  It is really challenging as there are so many things I simply cannot do, but I'm noticing that I am getting better.  I also managed to do some free weights for my CutLass challenge at the gym last night.  Did 3 set of 10 at 10 lbs each for dumbbell rows, curls, laterals, and because I was already doing the other stuff I did triceps extensions too. I enjoyed working with the free weights and think I might try to add this to my weekly schedule. 

Still haven't managed longer than a second on the planks, but I'm going to try again tonight.  I'm also going to see if there is an easy alternative to planks, like how push up have knee push ups. 

Oh, almost forgot, I've lost a few inches around my waist, so the Renaissance Fair costume I ordered before I started the challenge came in last night, and now it's too big! Never before had to try something on and say it was too big, it's usually the opposite. :) I'll still be able to use the skirts and stuff, but will have to get a new top once the fair arrives in November.

• Like 6

Level 6 Magikarp

What an awesome start to the day!  Great job.  You totally rock!

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines