Anaticula, Just keep swimming

Been very busy lately.  Here's my update on yesterday and today.

Friday my lesson went great.  The other lady I train with was out sick and I ended up training by myself, which meant R taught me some new stuff instead of covering the same thing.  Also, he said that my laps Friday were the best I'd done and that he was really proud of how far I had come. He gave me some tips for my upcoming triathlon too.  Although I enjoy sharing my lessons with T, it was nice to train by myself. The rest of the day was very very busy.  Meetings all day at work. Once I made it home I did my grocery shopping, and then put together a huge lego set my brother had bought.

This morning I did a practice run for tri.  I focused on doing all the distances that I would have to cover in the tri.  I managed the 300 meter swim in 13 minutes. :) The 10 mile bike ride was very difficult.   As I wanted to do everything back to back I used one of the gym's stationary bikes. Five miles in I was ready to quit, but I had promised myself I'd finish. I began to just focus on making it though the next minute each time.  It took 38 minutes, but I did it.  I then moved to the treadmill.  The two mile jog was horrible. My legs were tired, and my shoes were not made for walking or jogging, (I need to buy a pair and break them in before the tri.) blisters began to develop, but I forced myself to limp along until I finished my two miles.  It took 36 minutes.  Altogether with a few breaks to catch my breath it took an hour and forty five minutes. 

Once I made it home I made gumbo for my CutLass challenge this week.  It didn't go well, lol.

Now I'm about to do homework for class. Hopefully tomorrow will be calmer and I can read how everyone else's week is going then.

• Like 3

Current Challenge: Late start, but here at last.

Level 6 Magikarp

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5

My NF Character and Epic Quest!

Also, he said that my laps Friday were the best I'd done and that he was really proud of how far I had come. He gave me some tips for my upcoming triathlon too. 

Wonderful! :panda:

This morning I did a practice run for tri.  I focused on doing all the distances that I would have to cover in the tri.  I managed the 300 meter swim in 13 minutes.  :) The 10 mile bike ride was very difficult.   As I wanted to do everything back to back I used one of the gym's stationary bikes. Five miles in I was ready to quit, but I had promised myself I'd finish. I began to just focus on making it though the next minute each time.  It took 38 minutes, but I did it.  I then moved to the treadmill.  The two mile jog was horrible. My legs were tired, and my shoes were not made for walking or jogging, (I need to buy a pair and break them in before the tri.) blisters began to develop, but I forced myself to limp along until I finished my two miles.  It took 36 minutes.  Altogether with a few breaks to catch my breath it took an hour and forty five minutes. 

Very nice start. I can't wait to follow along with your progress here. I know you will do wonderfully!

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

Been very busy lately.  Here's my update on yesterday and today.

Friday my lesson went great.  The other lady I train with was out sick and I ended up training by myself, which meant R taught me some new stuff instead of covering the same thing.  Also, he said that my laps Friday were the best I'd done and that he was really proud of how far I had come. He gave me some tips for my upcoming triathlon too.  Although I enjoy sharing my lessons with T, it was nice to train by myself. The rest of the day was very very busy.  Meetings all day at work. Once I made it home I did my grocery shopping, and then put together a huge lego set my brother had bought.

This morning I did a practice run for tri.  I focused on doing all the distances that I would have to cover in the tri.  I managed the 300 meter swim in 13 minutes. :) The 10 mile bike ride was very difficult.   As I wanted to do everything back to back I used one of the gym's stationary bikes. Five miles in I was ready to quit, but I had promised myself I'd finish. I began to just focus on making it though the next minute each time.  It took 38 minutes, but I did it.  I then moved to the treadmill.  The two mile jog was horrible. My legs were tired, and my shoes were not made for walking or jogging, (I need to buy a pair and break them in before the tri.) blisters began to develop, but I forced myself to limp along until I finished my two miles.  It took 36 minutes.  Altogether with a few breaks to catch my breath it took an hour and forty five minutes. 

Once I made it home I made gumbo for my CutLass challenge this week.  It didn't go well, lol.

Now I'm about to do homework for class. Hopefully tomorrow will be calmer and I can read how everyone else's week is going then.

Awesome to hear that your swimming is going so well!  I find that 10 miles on a bike is easier than a stationary bike.  Maybe because the terrain is always changing if even slightly.  I have never done a tri but I would say for a trial run through you did fantastic.  Next time through you will be even stronger.

When cooking I can not do much else or I end up burning stuff.  The gumbo still looked good.

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Last week was completely crazy and this week looks to be even busier. But once I make it through this week I get to go to camp. :) I also took time off before and after camp to give myself some rest.  For now though I just have to make it through this week.  I have a major work project due this week that I've been working on for a while, and although I'm doing my best there is simply no way I can finish it by Friday.  I've also got several things going on in my personal life and a couple class projects due.  

Then on top of all that my trainer has assigned me a super busy week. Today I managed to swim 800 yards without stopping and with good form 80% of the time. :) Tonight I have homework AND I've got to do the hour and a half bike ride I was supposed to do Saturday. (I didn't have time then and want to be able to check it off of my list.) Tomorrow I have swimming and rowing, Wednesday swimming (I'll do this even though it wasn't on his list because I swim every morning), walking and yoga(a class I take because I enjoy it, he didn't assign it). Thursday an insane amount of swimming. He thinks I'll be able to do a 200 yard warm up, a 400 yard breathing drill, a 200 yard endurance swim, 200 yards kick boarding, a 1000 yard sprint, 200 yards kick boarding, then a 100 yard cool down. All in 45 minutes. Is that even possible?! I'm going to make sure these numbers are right when I see him for rowing class Tuesday night. I pray that is supposed to be a 100 yard sprint. Then Friday I have my session with him. Saturday he has me down for another hour and a half bike ride AND Triathlon training where I'm supposed to swim 400 yards, bike 20 miles, then jog 3 miles. My triathlon is 300 meter, 10 miles, and 2 miles, so I guess he figures if I train to do more I'll do the shorted distance quicker? Then Sunday I have to do weights again.

Plus I've signed up for the scouts dodgeball game, where I'll have three additional challenges thrown at me. 

So. *Takes a moment to breath* This is going to be quite a week.

For next challenge. I still have no clue. The first week will be camp.  The second week will be training for my Tri as it will be that Sunday. The other four weeks I have no idea. There is a slightly longer Tri October 18th in Mississippi. I suppose I could train for it and assuming I live through my first one sign up for it. It is a 1/3 mile swim, 16.5 mile bike, and a 3 mile run. It's an open water swim, which will be interesting as I've only swam in the pool.  I've been in the ocean before, but never really swam in it, and I've never swam in a lake, river, or pond, so I've no clue what to expect from it. My think right now is should I go ahead and sign up for it, and commit myself to it, or should I wait until I finish this one and see what I think then...

I know that one of my quest goals for next time will be to eat better.  I'm doing great with the no soda, I've not had a coke in a month now. :D And I've cut down on fast food to no more than once a week, but I still eat out quite often.  Sometimes it's healthy eating out (a build your own salad or pita place) other times its unhealthy (pizza, burgers, Chinese).  So my food challenge will be to practice better eating.  I'm thinking I'm going to only allow myself three eat out meals each week. The rest of the time I have to make something at home. 

Going to think more about the rest of my challenge this week. 

• Like 2

Level 6 Magikarp

Hello, I'm Anaticula.  I started a challenge a while back, but quit when life got in the way.  This time I'm determined to take Dory's advice and just keep swimming to make it through. Mostly because I've finally found an exercise I enjoy, swimming! I don't really know how to swim right now.  Mostly I just wave my arms and legs about in an effort to make it from one end of the pool to the other without touching bottom or drowning. And so, I've hired myself a swimming coach. I'm hoping that swimming will give me a start on losing weight, as I'm slightly over 300 lbs right now.  Once I get swimming down I'll start learning some other exercises. My coach has already informed me that I'll eventually be doing triathlons, ha. He evidently likes to set the bar high.  I'm trying to fit my goals with the Academy goals, so I've pulled some from there that I would like to do. 

Here are my goals:

Main Quest: Just Keep Swimming:

Swim 250 meters without stopping and with good form.  

Measurement: Same as with Mini Quest 1.

Reward: A = +2 STA, +2 DEX, B= +2 STA +1 DEX, C= +1STA

I added the good form in and chose 250 instead of 100 because technically I can already dog paddle the 100, but I want to do things right. Speaking of...

Quest 1: Starting to Swim:

Swim 100 meters with good form. No more dog paddling, I want to be able to actually swim it. This means, proper kicking, proper breathing, proper arm movements.  I'll get my coach to help me judge this.

Measurement: A= breathing, arms, and legs correct; B= two of three correct; C= one of three correct.

Reward: A = +3 STA, B = +2 STA, C = +1 STA  

Quest 2: Follow the Leader

Do the tasks my trainer assigns me each week no matter how much I dread them and how insane they seem. He is keeping things fairly simple right now, with the exception of the rowing class he assigned Tuesday, but it was so tempting to claim the rowing class filled up before I could sign up. (They only take the first 12 people). I figure if I'll lose points for not going to the lesson I'll be more likely to go. 

Measurement: A= Do all sessions; B= Miss 6 sessions; C= Miss 10 sessions. 

Reward: A = +3 STR, B = +2 STR, C = +1 STR

Quest 3: 

Diet Quest: Climbing the Ladder

I'm currently on the Nerd Fitness eating level 1.  I've just finished logging food for a week.  Moving to level two now.  I want to see how many levels I can move up in the six weeks. I want to eventually make it to Level 7, some levels I can check off as soon as I reach them, others I will need the full week.  I have to go back and read about the levels in more detail to know where I can be after 6 weeks.

Measurement: A= make it to Level 6; B= Make it to Level 4 or 5; C = Make it to Level 3.

Reward: A = +3 CON, B = +2 CON, C = +1 CON. 

Side Quests:

Life Quest: Rainy day.

Save $1,000 for a rainy day.

Measurement: A=put the money in savings and keep it there; B= put the money in savings but then take some out to spend (on non-emergency stuff); C= Don't save the money or save it then spend it all.

Reward: A = +2 WIS,  B = +1 WIS, C = No Reward. 

Motivation: 

There are lots of reasons I'm doing this.  I want to get healthy. I want to lose weight.  I want to be able to swim. And I'll even admit there is a part of me deep down that thinks doing that triathlon would be pretty cool even though at this point I simply can't see myself doing it.  But mostly I want to prove to myself that I can stick with a training program. I have a lot of self doubt, and committing to something and sticking too it will give me the self confidence that I need to become who I want to be.

Final Report.  

Looking back at my first post it's interesting to see how things have gone. When my swim coach suggested I do a Triathlon I laughed to myself and though that it was extremely unlikely, but here I am signed up for one and considering another.  This is the longest I have ever stayed with an exercise plan in my life, and I'm loving it.  In the past I would try something and a week or two later I was over it and back on  my sofa.  Now I'm exercising every day, and even adding workouts to what my trainer has planned for me.  

Weight loss wasn't a goal for me, but I'm down ten pounds and a couple inches.  I don't have my most recent measurements with me, but I know my waits is at least two inches smaller.  I have also lost about 2% body fat which is really cool. :D  My clothing it a tiny bit looser and I know that I'm on a fitness path I can stick to. 

My Main Quest was to be able to swim 250 meters without stopping and with good form.  This seemed like a huge number at the beginning, but this morning I managed to swim 800 yards (a little less than 800 meters) without stopping and with good form. I nailed this goal. :D Now, I still have a ways to go, and plenty to work out, I'm not a fast swimmer, and I still mess up and have to sort myself out when I do, but I'm loads better than I used to be.  Earn STA +2; DEX +2

Mini Quest One Swim 100 meters without stopping and with good form.  As above, I did great on this quest. :) After these weeks of practicing it is nothing to hop in the pool and swim 100 meters. :)STA +3

Mini Quest Two Following my trainers tasks was difficult, but rewarding.  There were many weeks (and this week is one of them) where I look at what he has planned for me and think that there is no way I will be able to do everything he has listed.  But in spite of this I have pushed through and completed every task except one.  I'll be doing that one tonight. Thanks to forcing myself to stick with the assignments he gave me I now take rowing class regularly, which I love, and know that even though ten miles on a bike seems like an impossible distance, I can do it. I'm planning to continue my lessons with my trainer, and to continue to do the tasks he assigns me even when I think I can't. STR +3

Mini Quest Three The past two weeks I've been so focused on not drinking soda that I haven't really payed attention to the next two levels consciously, but in looking back over my food diary I have eaten the veggies it recommends. However, I still make poor food choices in many areas.  I have ended up with a 'B' for this part.  Not bad, just not great either. CON +2

Life Quest Save $1,000 for a rainy day.  I saved the money, but then I spent it to purchase my tickets to camp nerd fitness. As awesome as camp will be, it still means I can only count this challenge as a 'B'. WIS +1

Side Quests

I have completed several side quests through out my challenge.  On the SMART Goals Mini Quest I earned +1 WIS. In Mini Quest Two, Navigate, I have earned +1 CON. 

In other areas, I completed a hiking trip over rough terrain and walked a 5K.

All total, I end up with STR: 3; DEX: 2; STA: 5; CON: 3; WIS: 2; CHA 0. :D

I should try to earn at least one Charisma point next round to keep things in balance.  Going to have to think about what type of challenges would earn charisma.

• Like 7

Level 6 Magikarp

Awesome report and you really did nail this challenge.  Isn't it awesome to look back at what you thought was out of your reach and then not only have you reached those goals but exceeded them?!  That's the kind of motivation that will keep up all coming back to NF...  Can't wait for your next challenge and good luck on your tri. 

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

Final Report.  

Looking back at my first post it's interesting to see how things have gone. When my swim coach suggested I do a Triathlon I laughed to myself and though that it was extremely unlikely, but here I am signed up for one and considering another.  This is the longest I have ever stayed with an exercise plan in my life, and I'm loving it.  In the past I would try something and a week or two later I was over it and back on  my sofa.  Now I'm exercising every day, and even adding workouts to what my trainer has planned for me.  

Weight loss wasn't a goal for me, but I'm down ten pounds and a couple inches.  I don't have my most recent measurements with me, but I know my waits is at least two inches smaller.  I have also lost about 2% body fat which is really cool. :D  My clothing it a tiny bit looser and I know that I'm on a fitness path I can stick to.

There's an insane amount of win crammed in these two paragraphs. So glad to read it!

Congratulations on completing your first challenge, looks like you're built habits and are in it for the long run. We'll be here to cheer you on!

• Like 1

Lvl 45 Ranger

HEY! DO YOU LIKE CHEESE?

Thanks everyone! I have to say, the support received from every one this challenge has been great help too.  Just long on each day and seeing that people liked a workout I did or left an encouraging comment on my thread has been awesome.  There are some days that I wasn't sure if I could meet my goals and knowing that I could come here to talk about what worked and what didn't was great. Also, all the advice I've received and the things I've learnt from reading other people's threads has been so motivational. 

As the next challenge's threads aren't up yet, I'm going to keep posting here.

Yesterday I had hoped to get my bike ride from last week in, but instead stayed home doing homework.  Classes have started again and are taking up a big part of my time. I'm going to have to work carefully to manage all my tasks for work, homework, personal obligations, and exercise. I'm may have to set up a time budget at the beginning of each week to get everything done! This morning I managed to swim 880 yards.  It wasn't all at once, I did take a few breaks here and there.  The other lady I train with was back today (she's been sick) and we discovered that R has given us different training plans this week.  We still plan to workout at the same time each morning even ont he days he doesn't have us scheduled to swim, because having someone to check in with each morning is helpful.  She has decided that she probably won't be continuing her lessons with him, but will still come to swim with me each morning.  I'm planning to continue my lessons.  I think that a lot of my improvement over the past 8 weeks have had to do with R pushing me to try things that I don't want to and don't think I can. Without him there to push me I don't know if I will continue to try new things. I don't want to risk back sliding. I've tried doing things with only myself to answer to and they don't always work.

I've luckily discovered that my training plan for Thursday had a typo in it. It is supposed to be a 100 yard sprint, not a 1000 yard sprint. I can barely manage to swim 1,000 yards in an hour, I don't know how I could do it and the warm up and drills and cool down all in 45 minutes. :P Although, maybe by the end of next challenge I won't think it'd be an issue. :) I'm planning to change my schedule for Saturday around a bit in hopes that I can get everything he has planned for me this week in.

I've received my first Scouts dodgeball challenge, and it's a fun one.  Some time today I just have to run outside and break into dance. I'll do that after work, see if I can work it into a 'yay it's time to go home' conversation with someone. 

Here is what I'm thinking about for next challenge:

Main Quest: complete two triathlons.  There is the one I've already signed up for on September 28th, then another one October 18th.  The first one is 300 meter swim, 10 mile bike, 2 mile run.  The second is 1/3 mile swim, 16.5 mile bike, 3 mile run.  The second distance is a nice step up from the first.  Enough of a change to make me work for it, but not enough to make me fear I won't be able to complete it. Additionally, the second is an open water swim, which will be interesting as I've never swam in open water before.

Life Quest: Once again I'm going to try to save $1,000 for a rainy day. I really need to do so as it's important to have an emergency fund.  I've about $600 in there now, so reaching the $1000 shouldn't be too difficult. It's keeping it in there that tends to be the problem for me.

Mini Quest One: Diet - I've given up soda now I need to focus on eating better.  I'm debating if it would be a better challenge to make myself stop eating out; to focus on portion sizes; or to focus on making healthier choices.

Mini Quest Two: I'm debating whether to continue focusing on swimming or to spend this challenge focusing on biking or jogging and alternate the three each challenge. I'm considering a bicycle focus this round as I'm doing much better on swimming. (Granted, I'll likely still swim every morning M-F as I love it.)

Min Quest Three: No clue. 

• Like 3

Level 6 Magikarp

Your mini quest with the Scouts sounds like fun. 

Spoiler

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Love your ideas for the next challenge!  I may steal the idea of rotating between biking, running, and swimming.  During the next challenge I will be through my first half marathon so I think it would be fun to build my biking base.  I do want to do a century ride sometime just because I love to ride so while still running and working with that base I would not mind putting more focus on biking for a bit.  Brilliant idea!

• Like 1

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

Horrible afternoon.  Around 11 I headed to the vending machine to get a bottle of water when the left side of my face broke out in the worse pain I've ever had.  I made it back to my desk where I began to feel like i was burning up on my left side while freezing on my right.  Once great thing about working at a technical college is that we teach nurses and the nursing teachers are all former nurses.  Got two to come check me out.  Was able to determine I wasn't having a stroke, but given that the left side of my face was turning red and spreading they sent me home to go see a doctor.  By the time I made it to the doctor the pain was less, but still bad.  The doctor concluded that the nerves in the left side of my face are infected.  I'm on some medicine now to ease the pain and clear up the infection.  The pain eased enough that I was able to make it to rowing class, however it started back up again about half way through.  I toughed it out until I made it home.  I've taken tomorrow off and doubt I will be doing any more exercise this week unless I start to feel majorly better.

Level 6 Magikarp

Wow, I hope you feel better soon!  I work at a community college and all the nursing students go through my area (anatomy & physiology) so I know many of the nursing instructors.  Any idea on how you obtained this infection?  Sounds terrible and I sincerely hope it improves while you are resting today.

According to the doctor it is something that just happens randomly to people every so often.  She said there are no real indicators that it will occur or that it will never happen again.  I had a toothache a month or two ago and she said it could be that the tooth was infected and it spread to the never, but that as the tooth stopped hurting she thinks it is more likely that the toothache was actually a milder case of the same thing.  She put me on a steroid medicine that is supposed to clean up infections.  If it is still hurting after 6 days I go back and she will try something else.  It feels a lot better than yesterday. Just a small pain in my cheek now as if I had clenched my jaw too tight, but every so often it flares up again.  After the doctor appointment I felt great.  Made it home and it flared up again for about 10 minutes, then stopped totally.  Stayed fine for a couple of hours, so I went to my rowing class. Half way through the class it started acting up again, but not as bad.  I toughed it out and stuck around for the rest of the class even though I wasn't doing well on the rowing part. Got home and suddenly it felt fine.  But then had another flare up in the night. I've called in to work today and will see how today goes.  I'm hoping that as I have been on the medicine longer the flare ups will go away entirely so I can get back to work tomorrow.  I've taken off next week for camp, and have projects at work I really need to finish before I leave, but when the pain hits I can't concentrate on working. Anyways, here's to hoping for no pain today so life can get back on track tomorrow. :)

• Like 1

Level 6 Magikarp

First let me say you are AMAZING and super inspiring.  Just saying I find your determination incredible.  I was proud of my daughter saying to her dad on Saturday that she thought I was determined (she did not know I heard her) when it came to running.  But you exemplify it in so many ways.

I hope you are able to get your projects done and feel better for camp.  I know I would love to hear about camp.  We would love to go ourselves but working for an epic move in a couple years takes precedence right now.

I think the new definition for determination should read "See Anaticula"  LOL!

• Like 1

First let me say you are AMAZING and super inspiring.  Just saying I find your determination incredible.  I was proud of my daughter saying to her dad on Saturday that she thought I was determined (she did not know I heard her) when it came to running.  But you exemplify it in so many ways.

I hope you are able to get your projects done and feel better for camp.  I know I would love to hear about camp.  We would love to go ourselves but working for an epic move in a couple years takes precedence right now.

I think the new definition for determination should read "See Anaticula"  LOL!

Aw, thanks. That made me blush. Most people just call me stubborn. :lol:

About to post my next challenge, but for now I'll go over yesterday and today.  Yesterday I decided to go ahead and take a day of sick leave as I didn't want to get to work and spend the at home.  I did do my morning swim, and a 30 minute walk my trainer had assigned, but missed yoga class.  I probably could have gone to work and the pain didn't flare up any yesterday, but I figured it was better to stay home than to go to work and end up leaving. This morning I had my insane amount of swimming today.  The most I've ever managed to do in a single session before was 1,000 yards, but my trainer had assigned 1,400.  It took me an extra 20 minutes but I made it. :) And luckily I still made it to work on time. :lol: This evening I've got to pick up a pair of walking or running shoes. The pair I've been wearing were not made for either and I have the blisters to show for it. I need to get them now and break them in so that they will be ready for my Tri in two weeks.  Two Weeks. Yikes. I'm starting to get a little nervous about it.  I'm second guessing myself on the running (jogging for me) part. Yesterday I was ready to give up on my two miles, only stuck the last part of the jog out because 'Eye of the Tiger' came on the iPod. I'm hoping I'll be able to do this.  I think the new shoes will help, because most of the reason I was ready to give up was from the blisters I could feel developing. But still only two more weeks.   :wacko:

Level 6 Magikarp

You can do it!  Don't second guess.  You are so amazing and have accomplished so much. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.  You can do it!  Look at all you have accomplished so far and do not fret at what you have left to do.  You are determined/stubborn and will get it done.  See now that I said you will do it you have to LOL!

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines