Tateman's 9th challenge: Time to head back to Spartan!

Tateman

Hi Tate!  Really impressed by how far you have come!  I too have trouble disconnecting from electronics and have found myself 'just checking' my phone in the morning.  It can gobble up a half hour or more, easily.

I will be curious to see how it goes measuring portions by hand size, I have not done that before.

Good luck to you!

I'm really trying to establish a visual reference for myself.  So when I go eat at a restaurant or something, I can tell how big of portions I am getting.  Like my beans today I actually measured out a cup.  Then when I added them to the bowl.  Now I should be able to get close to the same amount when I use that same bowl.

• Like 3

Meal 2 today was a pork tamale with some salsa on it.  Then about a cup of corn.

The slower eating seems to be working out ok so far today.  When i eat something with a fork, i take the bite, then sit the fork down and finish chewing.  Then wait a second before getting another bite.  It has been hot, so I am sucking down a lot of water haha.

• Like 1

I've heard rumor tell that chewing more slowly and thoroughly actually causes you to eat less calories from particular items, I'm not certain of the truth of it, but it's certainly interesting (I wonder how that skews calorie counting stuff as well...maybe they need "Chewing speed" options).

Race:Gamorrean | Class: Adventurer10

{STR:27.5||DEX:3||STA:27||CON:52.50||WIS:35.5||CHA:16.5}

Inventory: Belt of Dietary Willpower

Accountibilibuddies:Rogue Squadron

Challenges --> 1-->2-->3-->4-->5-->6-->7--> 8-->9-->Challenge 10(Current)

Logs: | Fitocracy | Measurements | My Fitness Pal

Reach 180 lbs from 225 lbs (currently 225 lbs)

4.44%
4.44%

Very impressed by your achievements. Running a Spartan Race is no joke! That is something I am working towards. Congrats and keep it up!

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

I've heard rumor tell that chewing more slowly and thoroughly actually causes you to eat less calories from particular items, I'm not certain of the truth of it, but it's certainly interesting (I wonder how that skews calorie counting stuff as well...maybe they need "Chewing speed" options).

I did consider counting a certain amount of times with each bite haha.  I'm just trying to go with the savory each bite vs "OMG so good just keep shoving it in!"

Very impressed by your achievements. Running a Spartan Race is no joke! That is something I am working towards. Congrats and keep it up!

Thanks.  I'm hoping I feel comfortable enough to start doing the longer distance ones too.

Great job visualizing portions that can be really hard.  Our eyes and brain can really play tricks on us.  

Big time.  I know I can easily just keep eating many things too.

Day 1 recap:

Goal #1 Exercise:  1/7

Didn't get my workout done in the morning like I wanted to, but I did get it in there. :)  Had a sharp little pain in my back when on the set 5 max reps.  I'm thinking I need to make sure my form is good.  No additional burpees.  So here is the break down:

Pushups

Set 1:  6

Set 2:  6

Set 3:  4

Set 4:  4

Set 5:  6 (max amount)

Squats:

Set 1:  13

Set 2:  16

Set 3:  9

Set 4:  9

Set 5:  20 (max amount)

FitBit shows 4,920 steps/2.26 miles total on the day.

Goal #2 Sleep:  1/7

Got into bed at 12:05, so no problems there.  Wife made enough noise to pretty much wake me up this morning too, so I was awake but 7am.  Fitbit showed I was restless quite a bit, so my actual sleep time is close to 6 hours.  I'm feeling ok though.  A little tired, but nothing too bad.  I also went ahead and got out of bed instead of checking email and such on the phone too.

Goal #3 Portion Control:  1/7

This one went pretty well for day 1.  My 3rd meal I was rushed trying to get to bowling, so I didn't eat as slow as the other meals during the day.  I still ate it a little slower.  Overall, I think I should be able to do well.

Goal #4 Food and Exercise log:  1/7

I was listing out my meals during the day to help me remember to listing now.  I might start doing it in a battle log again, and then just recapping here.  So Exercise was listed already.  Here is my food.

Meal 1:  Tri tip, and a cup of chili (homemade)

Meal 2:  1 pork tamale with some salsa on top, and about a cup of corn

Meal 3:  Tri tip, 1 cup of chili (homemade), 1 small tomato, 4 cherry tomatoes, and 1 Apple Pie Larabar.

Goal #5 Draw a little:  1/7

I did get in a little bit of drawing time.  Only like 15 minutes before bed.  So just really started to sketch a little.

So 5 for 5 on the day ;)  last night I bought a new scale.  The FitBit Aria.  I'm not sure how accurate it is yet, but it has me at 266lbs.  It's lighter then my other scale, but that scale was having issues.  The Aria also does auto body fat % and BMI.  I don't know how accurate the body fat percentage is, but I'll see if I can use it like any other number for tracking.  Maybe I'll get calipers or something for next challenge.

• Like 3

Looks like a nice solid start there Tateman!

Race:Gamorrean | Class: Adventurer10

{STR:27.5||DEX:3||STA:27||CON:52.50||WIS:35.5||CHA:16.5}

Inventory: Belt of Dietary Willpower

Accountibilibuddies:Rogue Squadron

Challenges --> 1-->2-->3-->4-->5-->6-->7--> 8-->9-->Challenge 10(Current)

Logs: | Fitocracy | Measurements | My Fitness Pal

Reach 180 lbs from 225 lbs (currently 225 lbs)

4.44%
4.44%

Nice Day 1!

Hey Tate, happy 9th. I do believe your goals are becoming more scoutly. Good luck with everything, especially the push-up and squat challenges. Hardcore!

Yeah, I have been thinking that too haha.  I might have to head over there for a challenge or two eventually ;)

Great goals and great start!

Thanks.

Meal 1 this morning:

Made a Hash I suppose.  5 oz potato, 5 oz of tri tip, 1 egg, 1 onion, little bit of coconut aminos, little bit of salsa.  used evoo to cook with.

• Like 1

Aren't you going to show us your drawing? 

I just heard about that Aria scale from another thread. They linked it with Trend Weight. It seemed really cool. 

Half Elf, 28.6 lbs overweight, average height, voluptuous, low muscle mass, bad ass mother f*cker

Current Challenge  Fourth Challenge Third Challenge Second Challenge First Challenge  My Long List of Goals 

Level 5

STR: 5STA: 4, DEX: 7, CON: 9, WIS: 13CHA: 8

Weight Goal: 2/43.6

1%
1%

â€œAnd the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom†-- Anaïs Nin

Website      Instagram 

mmmmm sounds tasty

Indeed it was pretty good :)

Solid first day! Also, your morning hash sounds delicious.

Thanks.  Day 2 wasn't too bad either.  Will post it shortly.

Doing awesome tateman :D

Thanks!  I hope I can maintain it for the entire 6 weeks at least ;)

Looking good so far!

Thank you.  Week 3 will be the test haha.

Aren't you going to show us your drawing? 

I just heard about that Aria scale from another thread. They linked it with Trend Weight. It seemed really cool. 

Well, so far it has been very little work done on the drawing.  So I might just have to spend a little more time on it.  I figured after I finish one, I might take a picture to show it.  So far, I hate it though haha.  So typical of how I use to feel when I would draw in the past.  I might check out the trend weight.  I have used similar weight tracking sites in the past.  Fitbit does ok too.

Day 2 summary posting next

Day 2 Summary:

So it seems like I am getting things in.  Had a little trouble towards the end of the night.  I got done with my run late.  So drawing time was out, unless I pushed back bed time some.  So I ended up going to bed a half hour later.  12:30am.  So I am going to deduct .5 on the day for that infraction. :)

Goal #1 - Exercise:  2/7

Today was run day.  I procrastinated and got out late.  Still did it though.  I actually felt a little better with the run vs the last couple.  So I ran C25K Week 9 Day 2.

14760765346_9d874793e4.jpgC25K app and watch were pretty close tonight by Will Tate, on Flickr

Fitbit:  7084 steps / 3.2 miles total

Goal #2 - Sleep:  1.5/7

Ok, got to bed a half our later.  I pushed it back a little to get in a small amount of drawing time.  Not a big deal, I just need manage my time better.

Goal #3 - Portion Control:  2/7

I think I did good on my portions today.  My morning hash was pretty big, but I measured out most of it.  Then I ate slow enough that I wasn't really hungry till late afternoon.  At dinner, I didn't measure out the green beans I had, but it's in the veggies slot.  I can eat a bunch if I need ;)  Wife had made a can of them, and I had the left overs.  I'd say it was more then a serving size listed on the can, but I am ok with it. 

Goal #4 - Food and Exercise log:  2/7

I started tracking in my Battle log again.  This way I can start a post during the day, then just edit it to add more.  I usual will add the exercise part the next morning.  Exercise was listed above, here is the food:

Meal 1:  Hash.  5 oz potato, 5 oz of tri tip, 1 egg, 1 onion, little bit of salsa.  little bit of coconut aminos.  used evoo to cook with.

Meal 2:  Cup of chili (homemade) and a Cherry Pie Larabar

Meal 3:  1 Aidells chicken and apple sausage, 1 cup of chili (homemade), a lot of green beans

Goal #5 - Draw a little:  2/7

Draw a little indeed haha.  So I really haven't spent much time at all drawing.  I moved back my sleep to get some drawing in last night.  I think I spent more time erasing then drawing.  I even thought about just not doing this one, and trying a different sketch that has been coming to mind.  Maybe I just need to devote a little longer timeframe to this one.

• Like 3

Keep working on the drawing.  it's always hard to get back into that creative and non-judgmental mind frame! 

Yeah, I will :)  i think part of it is that I was never that good and drawing from my minds eye.  I could have a picture in front of me, and copy it fairly well.  Just the free form for me wasn't always clicking.  I'll keep on trying though.

• Like 2

Late joining your thread, but here I am.  I've been working on sleep although it isn't a challenge goal.  Right now I'm trying to get to bed 30 minutes before my "bed time" and just read.  I've noticed I don't do well the evenings I hit the forums right before bed. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines